Inscription. In Memory of “Col. Bob” Sink, First Commanding Officer of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, July 1942 – December 1945.
By Thomas Colones, January 23, 2004
|1. The Col. Robert Sink Memorial Trail Marker|
Dedicated by the “Five-O-Sinks” The 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association, November 4, 2000, at Toccoa, Georgia.
Duty — Honor — Country
Robert F. Sink, Lt. Gen. U.S. Army, April 3, 1905 – December 13, 1965.
“Currahee” • “We Stand Alone”
Erected 2000 by The 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment Association.
Location. 34° 33.098′ N, 83° 23.727′ W. Marker is near Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of Dicks Hill Parkway (Old U.S. 123) and Col. Robert Sink Trail, former Currahee Mt. Rd., on the right when traveling south on Dicks Hill Parkway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Staley Cottage (approx. 3.4 miles away); Haddock Inn (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant (approx. 3.5 miles away); Morrison Hall - Old Barn (approx. 3.5 miles away); Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden (approx. 3.5 miles away); Bandy Cottage Alumni House (approx. 3.5 miles away); Gate Cottage (approx. 3.5 miles away); Ring Music Hall (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Toccoa.
Also see . . . Camp Toccoa, Georgia, 1942. “Cadre personnel arrived at Toccoa June 1942 for the purposes of organizing and training paratroopers at Camp General Robert Toombs. The story goes that Colonel Robert F. Sink, 506th Regimental Commander, thought that it was bad psychology to have young men arrive at Toccoa, travel Route 13 past a casket factory to learn to jump at Camp “Tombs,” so he persuaded the Department of the Army to change the name to Camp Toccoa.” (Submitted on August 2, 2008.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by Thomas Colones of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,156 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Thomas Colones of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |