Near Lusk in Niobrara County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Lusk Rest Area
Over the years, Wyoming rest areas set design standards using innovation and a prototype design for passive solar buildings in the 1980s. In 1998, Wyoming Department of Transportation partnered with Federal Highway Administration and a Wyoming architect to develop an updated rest area prototype design, incorporating passive solar with geothermal elements to create maximum energy
The Lusk Rest Area was selected as Wyoming’s first 21st century rest area upgrade. The original steel arch picnic arbor rook supports were reused as landscape architectural elements and the site reopened to the public in November, 2000.
Erected by Wyoming Department of Transportation.
Location. 42° 44.874′ N, 104° 28.919′ W. Marker is near Lusk, Wyoming, in Niobrara County. Marker is on U.S. 18 at milepost 39 near Silver Springs Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3925 U.S. Highway 18, Lusk WY 82225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Breaks in the Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Lathrop (about 400 feet away); Oldest Building in Lusk (approx. 1.8 miles away); Redwood Water Tank (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Redwood Water Tank (approx. 2.2 miles away); Monuments to Wyoming History (approx. 4.8 miles away); Texas Trail - 1866 - 1897 (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lusk.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Lusk Rest Area, about 1 1/2 miles west of Lusk on U.S.Highway 18 (also U.S. Highway 20).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on October 3, 2016.