“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lusk in Niobrara County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)

Rawhide Buttes

Rawhide Buttes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2016
1. Rawhide Buttes Marker
Inscription. Rawhide Buttes, visible west of this point, once served as a favorite camping spot for Indians and fur trappers. Several different tales explain the origin of the name. One account holds that this locale served as a departure point from which trappers sent fur pelts, or "rawhides," east to St. Louis. Another story tells of a reckless young man who killed an Indian woman while journeying to California during the 1849 gold rush. Attempting to avoid trouble, his fellow travelers surrendered the man for punishment and then watched in horror as the Indians skinned him alive at the base of the Buttes - thus the name "Rawhide Buttes." In 1874, a military expedition led by Lieutenant Colonel George A Custer discovered gold in the Black Hills of Dakota Territory. Hoping to capitalize on the ensuing rush of prospectors, the entrepreneurial team of John Gilmer, Monroe Salisbury and Mathewson Patrick organized the Cheyenne and Black Hills Stage and Express line in 1876. The company soon began leasing ranch buildings located at Rawhide Buttes for use as a stage station. When Russell Thorp, Sr., purchased the Rawhide Buttes station in November 1882, the bustling stage stop had grown to include a grocery and dry goods store, stage barn, post office and blacksmith shop. The arrival of the Chicago and North Western Railroad led to the demise of stagecoaching.
Rawhide Buttes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2016
2. Rawhide Buttes Marker
The last Black Hills-bound stage departed from Cheyenne's Inter-Ocean Hotel on February 19, 1887. With the stage no longer rolling, the buildings clustered at the base of Rawhides Buttes reverted from stage station to ranch headquarters. The end of an era had arrived.
Erected by Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office.
Location. 42° 36.609′ N, 104° 25.855′ W. Marker is near Lusk, Wyoming, in Niobrara County. Marker is on CanAm Highway (U.S. 85 at milepost 138) near Rawhide Butte Road (County Route 146), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lusk WY 82225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mother Featherlegs (approx. 5.2 miles away); Texas Trail - 1866 - 1897 (approx. 9.7 miles away); Monuments to Wyoming History (approx. 9.7 miles away); Lusk Rest Area (approx. 9.9 miles away); George Lathrop (approx. 9.9 miles away); Breaks in the Prairie (approx. 9.9 miles away); Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail (approx. 9.9 miles away); Oldest Building in Lusk (approx. 10.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lusk.
More about this marker. The marker is about 9 miles south of Lusk, near the county line, on
Rawhide Buttes Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2016
3. Rawhide Buttes Marker
U.S. Highway 85.
Categories. LandmarksNatural Features
"Last Cheyenne and Blackhills Stage image. Click for full size.
By C. D. Kirkland, February 19, 1887
4. "Last Cheyenne and Blackhills Stage
leaving from in front of Inter-Ocean Hotel, Feb. 19, 1887, George Lathrop driver, Russell Thorp, Sr. standing next to wheel horse." -- Wyoming Tales and Trails
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 250 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016.
Paid Advertisement