Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio in the Civil War / Defending Ohio
The Ohio National Guard and the 37th (Buckeye) Infantry Division
The Ohio National Guard and the 37th (Buckeye) Infantry Division. Established in 1788 as the Northwest Territory Militia, the Ohio National Guard has played a vital role in the nation’s major conflicts, beginning
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board, the 37th Division Veterans Association, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 80-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is on the south side of the Capitol grounds On Capitol Square. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ohio Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); United Mine Workers of America (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spirit of ’98 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Federal Court Building and Post Office (about 300 feet away); Here Stood Lincoln (about 300 feet away); The State House (about 400 feet away); The Breathing Association (about 500 feet away); Ohio World War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio and the Civil War. Larry Steven’s website. From “The Muster In of the 105th Ohio.” “The long, blue line sways and rustles as the men straighten themselves into a more or less correct position, take touch of elbows, glance right and left to secure a better alignment, and wonderingly gaze to the front to see what will happen next. A group of spectators, among whom are a few ladies, who carry parasols, stand in front of the right wing. They are evidently interested in what is going on. Some of them intercept the mustering officer's view of that part of the line; he orders them back, but the group is a considerable one and do not understand what is wanted of them. An orderly is sent to repeat the command and see that it is obeyed. The crowd fall back willingly but wonderingly. Then the officer explains that, when the command is given, each one whose name has been called—officers and men alike—will take off his cap with the left hand and holding up his right one, with the open palm to the front, repeat after him the oath of service. Then came the command: ‘Hats of!’ ... ” (Submitted on August 2, 2008.)
2. The 147th Infantry, 37th “Buckeye” Division. “The 37th Infantry Division was not the artificial product of arbitrary action of the War Department; but the child of grace Ohio long requested and was finally granted [in 1917]. The State of Ohio proudly responded with the 4th largest number of personnel the original 48-states contributed. Ohio sent 200,293 men to the muddy fields of France. This represented 5.33 percent of the total American Expeditionary Force.” (Submitted on August 2, 2008.)
Categories. • War, Korean • War, US Civil • War, World I • War, World II • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,212 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.