Morgan City in Saint Mary Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Civil War Years
Brashear (Now Morgan City) Louisiana
Brashear was occupied until the war's end except for brief period in June 1863 when it was daringly recaptured by Confederates.
The Union erected Forts Brashear (Star) and Buchanan here and destroyed nearby Confederate Forts Chene and Berwick.
Location. 29° 41.714′ N, 91° 12.318′ W. Marker is in Morgan City, Louisiana, in Saint Mary Parish. Marker is on Federal Avenue near Duke Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located in front of the Morgan City Archives building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Federal Avenue, Morgan City LA 70380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sacred Heart Of Jesus Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Morgan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Star (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Offshore Oil Well (approx. 0.4 miles away); Southwest Reef Lighthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Twin City Gospel Temple (approx. ¾ mile away); Attakapa Militia (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Morgan City.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 136 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.