Strawn in Palo Pinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bethel Strawn, C.S.A.
In 1880, when Texas & Pacific Railroad built through western Palo Pinto County, a stop was named for Bethel Strawn, who owned land at that point. By 1885 Strawn settlement had grown into a town drawing off people from old Palo Pinto.
During 20th century oil developments, the name Strawn is used for petroleum bearing formations of rock that underlie this county and other areas. Strawn minerals include coal once mined locally.
36 Texas counties were named for men prominent in the Confederacy during the Civil War. One county, Val Verde, was named for a Civil War battlefield on which Texas troops were victorious during the New Mexico—Arizona Campaign of 1861-1862.
41 Texas towns were named for men who figured in the Civil War. Strawn, however, is the one geological name commemorating a Texan in the Civil War.
Erected 1965 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 393.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 Housley St, Strawn TX 76475, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Strawn (here, next to this marker); Strawn City Hall (a few steps from this marker); Thomas House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Marion Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary Jane Gentry (approx. 0.8 miles away); Joseph Peter Davidson (approx. 2.8 miles away); Mingus Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Thurber Junction and the T&P Railroad Presence (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Strawn.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.