“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Friendswood Postal Service


Friendswood Postal Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, October 6, 2016
1. Friendswood Postal Service Marker
Inscription. In 1899 Friendswood recieved postal service. That year 22 year old widow Flora Knode was appointed postmaster, and residents picked up mail from her home. In 1904 Quaker Charles E. Hoover and family moved here from West Branch, Iowa. In 1906 he received the appointment as Friendswood Postmaster, a position he held until his death in 1938. His daughter Mabel succeeded him, serving until 1946. On this site a small building attached to the Hoover home housed the post office, the phone exchange, the Library Association books, his Notary Public, and in Mabel's era, a sundry shop that sold school supplies, candy and tobacco.

In succeeding years the post office was housed at three other local sites where patrons received their mail from a postal box. After streets were assigned names and houses numbered, home delivery was initiated September 7, 1966.
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
Location. 29° 31.731′ N, 95° 12.007′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of South Friendswood Drive (Texas Route 518) and Spreading Oaks Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Friendswood Drive. Click for map. The marker was located in a vacant lot when I found it but if the lot is developed they will almost surely have to move it. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 S Friendswood Dr, Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Business (within shouting distance of this marker); Quaker Academy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendswood (about 600 feet away); Oldest Structure Remaining (about 600 feet away); Cecil and Frances Brown House (about 600 feet away); Fig Preserving Plant (about 700 feet away); Friends Church Cemetery (about 800 feet away); First Home and First Family (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Friendswood.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 140 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.
Paid Advertisement