Carville in Iberville Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Staﬀ Housing, U.S. Public Health Service Hospital, Carville
When the US Public Health Service officers took operational control of the hospital in 1921, the staff quarters were laid out on 3 streets on the upriver side of Indian Camp Plantation.
In the 1920's, before staff had permanent housing, World War I army barracks were moved on site as a temporary solution. Some WWI barracks were in use until 1960 when they were finally replaced with single-story brick bungalows.
In 1921, the Medical Officer in Charges' residence was the first permanent staff house built. It has a deep screened porch and a large widow's walk sitting astride the roof. In 1934, a larger wood frame and brick home was constructed across the street.
The 2-story staff residences were built in the mid-1930s and are generally in neo-Georgian style. They have box-columned porches, gabled side rooflines, cornice details, dormers and projecting porticoes. The plan included 2-story duplexes as well as single family homes.
Many generations of US Public Health Services officers and their families lived and grew-up on site. The doctors and PHS officers usually lived on 1st Street; the top tradesmen and their families on 2nd or
The staff side of the hospital campus included a swimming pool, tennis court and a 9-hole golf course. The patients' side of the hospital campus had its own tennis and golf facilities, as well as a baseball diamond and grandstand.
Staff and Personnel
"M.O.C." is a term you will hear frequently and it refers to the "Medical Officer in Charge". He is in Command. Under his supervision and direction are various department heads and their coworkers. Among them are Clinical Director, Chief of Medical Service, Director of Nurses, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Medical Records, Librarian, Dietitian, Social Service, Administrative Officer, Community Activities, Chaplains, Personnel and Financial Management Departments, Supply Officer, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds.
Location. 30° 11.792′ N, 91° 7.595′ W. Marker is in Carville, Louisiana, in Iberville Parish. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Point Clair Road (State Highway 141), on the right. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Hansen's Disease Museum, on the grounds of the Louisiana National Guard carville site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5445 Point Clair Road, Bldg. 12, Carville LA 70721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Camp Plantation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Belle Grove Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Civil War Soldier (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bayou Goula (approx. 3.5 miles away); Iberville African-American Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Raphael Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); St - Gabriel (approx. 4.2 miles away); St. Gabriel Church (approx. 4.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is located inside the National Guard Site, but is part of the Museum's self driving tour. No photography is permitted except markers and site cemetery.
Also see . . . The National Hansen's Disease Museum. (Submitted on October 7, 2016.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on February 1, 2017.