The Mount Airy Rail Yard
Historic Downtown Mount Airy
This site was once the Mount Airy rail yard. Passenger trains stopped here to pick up and drop off passengers at the Mount Airy Station. Children from Watersville and other nearby communities would ride the train to attend school in Mount Airy. Freight trains stopped here to pick up milk from local farmers, canned vegetables packed at the Mount Airy Canning Company and milled grain from Runkles Mill, and later, the Mount Airy Milling Company.
Passenger service through Mount Airy ended December 31, 1949. The entire line through Mount Airy was abandoned by the B&O in 1959. Since then, the tracks have been removed and the area around the station paved for a parking lot.
[Photo captions read]
Railroad Crossing Guard's Shack
B&O Railroad Passenger Train Time Table (Schedule)
Photographs courtesy of the Historical Society of Mount Airy
Location. 39° 22.626′ N, 77° 9.26′ W. Marker is in Mount Airy, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (Maryland Route 808) south of Prospect Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 South Main Street, Mount Airy MD 21771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Also see . . .
1. History of Mount Airy, Maryland. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. About Downtown Mount Airy, MD. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.