“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Dunlap House

Ocmulgee National Monument

The Dunlap House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, October 7, 2016
1. The Dunlap House Marker
Inscription. In 1856, Samuel S. Dunlap constructed this house as part of his 400-acre cotton plantation. The plantation was operated by nineteen slaves who lived in three cabins. The Dunlap family also owned a home on High Street in the city of Macon. On July 30, 1864, the Dunlap house was occupied by Union troops during the Battle of Dunlap Hill, part of Stonemanís Raid. After the war, Captain Dunlap turned the plantation into a dairy farm.

Samuel and his wife, Mary, had seven children. The coupleís oldest child, John Lee, died at age seven. After his death, the couple had five daughters, all of whom attended Wesleyan College. The Dunlapís last child was a son who they named Samuel Junior. The Dunlap children had no children of their own, so the Dunlap name did not carry on with their family. In 1902, Samuel S. Dunlap died at the age of 72 at his house on High Street. He is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery along with his family members.

In the late 1930ís the house served as an office for the National Park Service staff. In 1940, the office was moved into the new administration building and the house was converted into the Superintendentís residence. In the early 1950ís the house was remodeled to its present appearance. Today, the house is still used as residence for park staff, and is one of the oldest houses in Macon.
The Dunlap House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, October 7, 2016
2. The Dunlap House Marker
Marker on left is The Dunlap House. Marker on right is Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid. In the background can be viewed two related Georgia Roadside markers.
2013 by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 32° 50.482′ N, 83° 36.127′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Ocmulgee National Park Road 0.2 miles south of Emery Highway (U.S. 23/80), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker located on the grounds of Ocmulgee National Monument Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1207 Emery Hwy, Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid (here, next to this marker); William Bartram Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Hawkins (approx. 0.8 miles away); War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (approx. 0.8 miles away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Macon History (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
More about this marker. This marker is conjoined with a different National Park Service marker titled "The Battle of Dunlap Hill - Stoneman's Raid"
Regarding The Dunlap House. These markers were dedicated in the spring of 2013. At the same time two Georgia metal roadside markers were relocated from outside the park to within 75 feet of these National Park Service markers. (The Dunlap House 011-3 and Battles of Dunlap Farm 011-5).
Categories. AgricultureWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 14, 2016.
Paid Advertisement