Mann-Miller / Springﬁeld
The Mann and Miller families, neighbors in Germany, together migrated to American and settled near this site circa 1774. First were friends John Miller and Jacob Mann. Families labored to build Cook's Fort, Indian Creek Church and town of Springfield. Both settlers and most family burials in the Tyler Mann and Miller-Halstead cemeteries.
Here in 1852, 1/4 acre lots were sold to form the community of Springfield, located on Great Road. Some forty families lived in the village, which included homes, stores, schools, churches, mill, tannery, brick yard, post office, and a resort hotel. Known as Hunters Springs, the town had virtually disappeared by the the middle of the twentieth century.
Erected 2009 by Greenville Ruritan Club.
Location. 37° 31.805′ N, 80° 39.508′ W. Marker is near Greenville, West Virginia, in Monroe County. Marker is on Greenville Road (West Virginia Route 122). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville WV 24945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saltpeter Caves (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cook's Fort (approx. 2.1 miles away); Grave of Elizabeth Graham Stodghill
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on . 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 16, 2016.