Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belleville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Van Buren Township Hall

 
 
Old Van Buren Township Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 18, 2016
1. Old Van Buren Township Hall Marker
Inscription. Van Buren Township was organized out of Huron Township by an act of the Legislative Council of the Territory of Michigan in 1835. Township business was conducted from homes until this building was completed in 1875. The original plans called for a one-story structure; however, shortly after construction began, the local Grange offered to pay for a second story to be used for its meetings. In a special election, township voters accepted the proposal. As the Grange declined in popularity, the second floor became a community meeting hall. For a short time during the 1930s, the basement served as a jail. In 1952 the Grange relinquished its portion to the township. The building served as a township hall until 1959.
 
Erected 1983 by Michigan History Division, Department of State, GFWC-Belleville Junior Study Club, Van Buren Twp. Historic Dist. Study Commission. (Marker Number L255.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 12.495′ N, 83° 29.451′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map.
Old Van Buren Township Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 18, 2016
2. Old Van Buren Township Hall and Marker
Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Main Street, Belleville MI 48111, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. French Landing Dam and Powerhouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Rawsonville Village (approx. 2.7 miles away); Willow Run (approx. 4.1 miles away); Merrill-Morris House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Morris Homestead (approx. 4.5 miles away); The Bomber Restaurant (approx. 6.3 miles away); Michigan's Interurbans (approx. 6.3 miles away); Canton Center School (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
Additional comments.
1. Belleville Area Museum
The Old Van Buren Township Hall is now the Belleville Area Museum.
    — Submitted October 18, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

 
Categories. AgricultureNotable BuildingsPolitics
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on October 18, 2016.
Paid Advertisement