Friendswood in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hadley General Merchandise
At Hadley's death in 1935, Manual and Florence Snow briefly before selling to Effie and son Jimmie Albritton in 1937. They were the local grocer until 1961. The first supermarket-style store at 211 S. FM 518 was opened in 1952 by another Quaker, James Baker. When it closed in 1982, it was the last of the independent grocers in Friendswood.
Erected 2012 by Friendswood Historical Society.
Location. 29° 31.748′ N, 95° 12.049′ W. Marker is in Friendswood, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of South Friendswood Drive and West Willowick Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Friendswood Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Friendswood TX 77546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Friendswood Postal Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Cecil and Frances Brown House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quaker Academy (about 400 feet away); Fig Preserving Plant (about 500 feet away); Oldest Structure Remaining (about 600 feet away); Friendswood (about 800 feet away); Friends Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Home and First Family (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Friendswood.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 19, 2016.