Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Old Washington in Guernsey County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Washington

Historic District

 

—The Historic National Road in Ohio —

 
Old Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 7, 2016
1. Old Washington Marker
Inscription. Old Washington was platted along Zane’s Trace in 1805 by the brothers George and Henry Beymer. Within two years twelve log dwellings had been built, making it the oldest settlement in Guernsey County. Originally known as New Washington, the official name was given little recognition, as it was generally known as Beymerstown because the Beymers were its founders. On February 10, 1829, two years after the National Road was completed through the town, it was incorporated as Washington, the prefix “New” being dropped after the discovery that an Ohio town of a similar name already existed. Later, after confusion with Washington Court House, the postal department made a request that Washington, Guernsey County, change its name. Reluctantly, the prefix “Old” was added because it was an older town. Old Washington grow rapidly after the National Road was built. The community reached its peak population in 1850. Because of lack of growth after the Civil War, Old Washington has survived as an excellent example of a 19th century National Road town.
 
Erected 2013 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 40° 2.277′ 
Old Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 7, 2016
2. Old Washington Marker
Full view of marker
N, 81° 26.446′ W. Marker is in Old Washington, Ohio, in Guernsey County. Marker is at the intersection of Old National Road (U.S. 40) and Maple Lane, on the left when traveling east on Old National Road. Click for map. Marker is in front of the village playground, near a National Road Mile Marker, and the Gen. John Hunt Morgan marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 233 Old National Road, Old Washington OH 43768, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan’s Raiders (a few steps from this marker); Morgan’s Raid in Old Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bodies of Three Confederate Cavalrymen (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old Washington (approx. ¼ mile away); Peacock Road (approx. 3.3 miles away); “S” Bridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Scottish Rite in Ohio (approx. 7.8 miles away); Dr. Charles E. Jefferson (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Old Washington.
 
Additional keywords. Old National Road
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 7, 2016
3. Old Washington Marker
Marker as seen from a distance, in front of the playground. Mile Marker and Morgan's Raid marker are to the right
Old Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 7, 2016
4. Old Washington Marker
Photo on the marker, depicting construction methods on the National Road
Old Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 7, 2016
5. Old Washington Marker
Photo on marker, noting Morgan's Raid; subject of the adjacent marker, (subject of a HMDB page)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 22, 2016.
Paid Advertisement