Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This Presbyterian Church, located about .4 miles SE, was organized soon after 1766 by Scotch-Irish who settled the area. From Revolutionary War days the congregation has been influential in religious, educational, and civic affairs of Spartanburg County. A number of new congregations have been formed from Nazareth whose present building was erected in 1832.
Erected 1980 by Nazareth Presbyterian Church Congregation. (Marker Number 42-14.)
Location. 34° 54.014′ N, 82° 2.159′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Reidville Road (State Highway 296) and Nazareth Church Road (State Road 661), on the right when traveling north on Reidville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moore SC 29369, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth Church Stone Marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nazareth Frame House (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast (approx. 2.5 miles away); Camp Wadsworth (approx. 2.6 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters (approx. 3.6 miles away); Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway (approx. 3.6 miles away); Kevin Earl Carper (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fort Prince (approx. 4.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Harold Hatcher (approx. 4.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moore.
Also see . . . Nazareth Presbyterian Church. Official website of Nazareth Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on August 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Nazareth Church
Nazareth Church is situated in the district of Spartanburg, on the waters of Tyger river, towards its source. Its first formation proceeded from a few families, eight or ten in number, who obtained supplies in 1766, and were soon afterwards organized into a society.—(MS. Hist. of Second Presbytery of South Carolina.) The Rev. Robert H. Reid dates the first settlements on Tyger river about the year 1761. They certainly existed before the year 1765, for in
— Submitted February 14,
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.