Eagle River in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lake Shore Drive Bridge / Eagle River
Eagle River. In 1843 the Lake Superior Copper Company purchased several land leases for mining. Two years later the Cliff Mine, alleged to be “the first great copper mine in the Western Hemisphere,” was opened by the Pittsburgh & Boston Company. The mines attracted large numbers of Germans, Cornishmen and Irishmen and gave rise to other industries. On August 29, 1846, the Lake Superior News and Miners’ Journal boasted that Eagle River had “the appearance of a thriving village.” In 1850, Prussian immigrant Frank Knivel opened the Knivel Brewery, and
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 47° 24.759′ N, 88° 17.798′ W. Marker is in Eagle River, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Route 26 and 4th Street on State Route 26. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Harbor House (approx. 7 miles away); Eagle Harbor (approx. 7.1 miles away); Calumet Theater (approx. 13.6 miles away); The Italian Hall / Italian Hall Tragedy (approx. 13.6 miles away); St. Paul the Apostle Church (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Eagle River. (Submitted on May 4, 2007.)
1. Lake Shore Drive Bridge/Eagle River
The marker indicates that this
My impression is that it is unlikely that these two bridges were, in fact, built "simultaneously".
There is a picture [Image MS042--26-999-B-5B] in the Reeder Collection of the MTU Copper Country Archives which clearly shows the "Main Street" bridge constructed and open for traffic on August 08, 1909. 1909 seems, also, to be the date of construction of this "other" bridge according to an analysis and records compiled Spring, 2002, by MTU Professor Bogue Sandberg's Civil Engineering Senior Design Group studying possible preservation of the "Main Street" bridge.
Wausau, Wisconsin & Copper Harbor, Michigan
— Submitted July 18, 2007, by Paul LaVanway of Wausau, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Natural Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,948 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.