Marshfield in Webster County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Marshfield was laid out in 1856 by R.H. Pitts on land given by C.F. Dryden and W.T. and B.F.T. Burford. Until a courthouse was built, county business was conducted at Hazelwood where Joseph W. McClurg, later Gov. of Mo., operated a general store. Today’s Carthage marble courthouse, built 1939-41, is the county’s third.
During the Civil War, a small force of pro-Southern State troops was driven out of Marshfield, Feb. 1862, and ten months later a body of Confederates was routed east of town. On Jan. 9, 1863, Gen. Joseph O. Shelby’s troops burned the stoutly built Union fortifications at Marshfield and at Sand Springs, evacuated earlier. By 1862, the telegraph passed near Marshfield on a route later called the “Old Wire Road.”
In Webster County, straddling the divide between the Missouri and Arkansas rivers, rise the headwaters of the James, Niangua, Gasconade, and Pomme de Terre rivers. A part of the 1808 Osage Indian land cession, the county was settled
The railroad building boom of the post Civil War period stimulated county growth as a dairy, poultry, and livestock producer. The Atlantic & Pacific (Frisco) was built through Marshfield, 1872, and by 1883 the Kansas City, Springfield, & Memphis (Frisco) crossed the county. Seymour, Rogersville, Fordland, and Niangua grew up along the rail routes. Early schools were Marshfield Academy, chartered, 1860; Mt. Dale Academy, opened, 1873; and Henderson Academy, 1879.
Astronomer Edwin P. Hubble (1889-1953) was born in Marshfield. The composition “Marshfield Tornado” by the Negro musician John W. (Blind) Boone gave wide publicity to the April 18, 1880 tornado which struck town killing 65 and doing $1,000,000 damage.
Erected 1958 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 20.32′ N, 92° 54.397′ W. Marker is in Marshfield, Missouri, in Webster County. Marker can be reached from Crittenden Street north of Madison Street, on Click for map. Marker is located on the east side of the grounds of the Webster County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Marshfield MO 65706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marshfield Hand Dug Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Edwin Hubble (within shouting distance of this marker); Webster County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans / Pioneers Memorial (approx. 15.3 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on November 13, 2016.