“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Berea Union Depot

Berea Union Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, circa February 2007
1. Berea Union Depot Marker
Inscription. Ohio from the time of its construction in 1876 until its closing in 1958, is an unusual, but well-designed example of Victorian Gothic Architecture. With the development of an expanding stone quarry industry in the area, Berea and its railroad facilities grew rapidly and by the early 1870s developers and townspeople alike called for construction of a new passenger and freight station. When this Berea sandstone station was completed and then dedicated on May 3, 1876, the Cleveland Plain Dealer called the building “the finest facility outside the big cities.” From 1958 until 1980, the building remained closed until it began a second life, restored as a restaurant and gathering place.
Erected 2003 by the Berea Historical Society and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 43-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 22.878′ N, 81° 51.227′ W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Depot Street west of Front Street (Ohio Route 237), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Take Front Street (Ohio 237) north from town. Depot
Berea Union Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, February 2007
2. Berea Union Depot Marker
Street is to the left just before the tracks. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Depot Street, Berea OH 44017, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ark (approx. half a mile away); Baldwin University (approx. half a mile away); Berea District Seven School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lyceum Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Berea.
Regarding Berea Union Depot. The depot is now The Station Restaurant. One if its private dining rooms is a restored Pullman dining car.
Also see . . .
1. The Station History. (Submitted on May 4, 2007.)
2. A History Set in Stone. Essay by George D. Kanaan. (Submitted on May 4, 2007.) 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,894 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement