Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg
Life on Seminary Ridge
"Three more acres or less on which are erected a one and a half story stone dwelling house and frame stable … directed and sold and struck off the same unto Thaddeus Stevens, trustee of Mary Thompson, for the sum of sixteen dollars—Deed dated Jan. 28, 1846."
—Sheriff's Docket for the sale of this property
People had been living peacefully in and around Gettysburg for more than 75 years before the Civil War brought two mighty armies to the town and forever changed its character and landscape. Mary Thompson, a widow since the 1840s, lived in the stone house in front of you for seventeen years before the Battle of Gettysburg. Mrs. Thompson raised her children here, tended a small garden, and was comforted by a dog with its own little house. By the summer of 1863, the widow's children had grown and moved out—one lived directly across the road—and Mrs. Thompson lived alone in the stone house. Her closest neighbor was Casper Henry Dustman, whose home stood just east of the Thompson house.
Located on the Chambersburg Pike on top of Seminary Ridge, her home was all but bound to become a significant battlefield feature. Union cannons dealt death and destruction from her yard and Union soldiers formed a line of battle on her property's edge. After a fierce fight, Confederate soldiers,
Erected 2016 by The Civil War Trust and Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 50.097′ N, 77° 14.688′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Chambersburg Pike (U.S. 30) west of Seminary Ridge, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This marker is located along the walking path between the new parking area and the Thompson House. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); 95th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia This Breastwork (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Highway Headquarters (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Lee's Headquarters at Gettysburg (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. This marker is one of a group of 5 new markers placed in October, 2016 after the demolition of the Quality Inn and the Appalachian Brewing Company (restaurant) that stood here on the site. The site has been restored to very nearly its 1863 appearance.
Also see . . . Civil War Trust. (Submitted on November 23, 2016.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on , by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on April 19, 2017.