Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lexington Park in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Nicholas Church

 
 
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 5, 2013
1. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
Inscription. 1637 Jesuit Mission of Father Andrew White was located a mile from here on Patuxent River, on land given by Mattapanient Indian Chief Macquacomen. The first St. Nicholas Church was built at this site in 1796 by Jesuit Father James Walton. Present building erected 1916, became Navy chapel when Patuxent Naval Air Station was established in 1942.
 
Erected by the Maryland Historical Trust and the Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 38° 15.735′ N, 76° 26.641′ W. Marker is near Lexington Park, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) south of Great Mills Road (Maryland Route 246), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington Park MD 20653, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary’s County and U.S. Navy History (approx. ¼ mile away); United States Colored Troops (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to the African American Monument of St. Mary's County (approx.
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, March 31, 2007
2. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
half a mile away); Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lexington Park.
 
Also see . . .  Naval Air Station Patuxent River Base Guide. Scroll down for the section entitled “St. Nicholas Chapel.” (Submitted on May 5, 2007.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraMilitarySettlements & Settlers
 
Saint Nicholas Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 31, 2007
3. Saint Nicholas Church Marker
St.Nicholas Church July 31, 1942. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 5, 2013
4. St.Nicholas Church July 31, 1942.
Stone Slab Construction and English design of the Naval Air Station Chapel are reminiscent of earlier times.When the Navy purchased the property, the former Catholic church was turned into an interdenominational house of worship. The present stone structure was built in the 1920's near the site of the original St.Nicholas Church constructed in 1795. Photo displayed in the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,838 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on .   4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the cemetery • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement