|South Carolina (Greenville County), Fork Shoals — 23-17 — Sullivan (Grove) Cemetery|
The cemetery located about ½ mile north, marks the site of Grove Church, established prior to 1790, one of the first Methodist churches in Greenville County. The present church, renamed Lebanon, is located about 1¼ miles W. of here. A number of Revolutionary War soldiers and church founders are buried in this cemetery, now maintained by the church and the Sullivan family. — Map (db m9021) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-4 — About 1765|
Near Reedy River Falls, stood the home, trading station, and grist mill of Col. Richard Pearis, first white settler of this section. He was a noted Indian trader and prominent Tory of the Revolution. — Map (db m10428) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Andrew Pickens — "The Wizard Owl" — 1739 - 1817|
As a tribute to his skills exploiting enemy weaknesses, Pickens became known as the "Wizard Owl" or "Skyagunsta" - a bird known for seeing clearly, acting wisely and striking quickly.
Pickens was a tall, religious Presbyterian from Pennsylvania and one of General Greene's most trusted detachment field commanders. His home and church were burned by the British during the Revolution as the Royal government sought to install state sponsored religion and hang all "rebels."
Pickens was . . . — Map (db m11253) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Francis Marion — "The Swamp Fox" — 1732-1795|
|Battle hardened in the Cherokee War of 1760-61 and the battle of Sullivan's Island in 1776, Marion was 48 years old when the British invaded & conquered SC in 1780.
His volunteer militia detachment operated primarily in the lowcountry attacking Tory Units, disrupting British supply lines and providing intelligence reports to his Commanding Officer - General Greene. Marion & his men, which included African Americans, would often escape pursuing British forces by retreating into the swamps, . . . — Map (db m10806) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Furman University|
Established in 1826 in Edgefield as an academy and theological institution, Furman University was charted in 1850 and in 1851 established a campus on the bluff above this spot, where it remained for the next century. Named for Baptist minister Richard Furman, a Revolutionary War patriot, the university's first president was his son, James Clement Furman. Its first two-room frame building, "Old College" was replaced in 1854 by the Richard Furman Classroom Building, known fondly as "Old Main." . . . — Map (db m14549) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Gilder|
Austin Plantation: Settled before the rev. war by Nathaniel Austin (c. 1720 - c. 1800) and his wife, Agnes Dickinson. Ten sons: Nathaniel, Jr., Walter, Thomas, John, Francis, Dickinson, William, Thompson, Samuel & Robert. One daughter: Mary. Nathaniel Austin, Capt., S.C. Militia, & sons served in the Rev. War. The first house was a mile south near Gilder Creek & family cemetery. Second house 1786 was 100 yds. east of this marker. Present house built 1830 by William & Jane Collins Austin. . . . — Map (db m15996) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Greenville's General|
|Have you heard the story of General Greene,
A Rhode Island private who followed his dream.
In 1780 as Washington's man
He came to our state to free our great land.
Armies of British were sent by the King,
But they were no match for the genius of Greene.
Backed by the bravest of ill-equipped men
The Patriots fought to the glorious end.
There were Pickens and Sumter and Marion too,
Wild men at heart but to Greene they were true.
These Ghosts of the Woodlands who took up . . . — Map (db m21828) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Guilford Courthouse Flag|
This flag, often referred to as the Guilford Courthouse Flag, is an example of the diversity of American flags during the Revolutionary War period. It has the unique design elements of an elongated canton with white background and 13 blue, eight-sided stars and matching blue stripes. The eight-sided stars represent the combined forces from eight states that compromised Major General Nathanael Greene's Southern Army. This flag was present at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina . . . — Map (db m10863) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Mrs. James Williams|
Mrs. James Williams
Born Elizabeth Blackburn
Widow of a Revolutionary Officer of Ga.
and Mother-in-Law of
Chan. Waddy Thompson
was Buried Here.
Her's was the First Grave in this Cemetery
Once the Chancellor's Garden. — Map (db m15799) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Richard Pearis — Reede River Falls Historic Park|
Richard Pearis, Greenville's first white settler, was an Irish adventurer who had settled in Virginia with his wife and family by the middle of the eighteenth century. He developed good trade relationships with the Cherokee Indians, had a son by an Indian woman, and in 1770 acquired title to 100,000 acres of Indian land in what is now Greenville County. He set up his "Great Plains" Plantation with a trading post and grist mill on the banks of the Reedy River. Pearis was wooed by both . . . — Map (db m8035) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — The "Pearis" of "Paris" Mountain|
An adventurous hero or an opportunistic traitor, Richard Pearis led a life touched by many of colonial America's defining themes. Leaving Virginia, he settled by the Reedy River in 1768 and is credited with being the first to harness local waterpower at a gristmill. Through his Cherokee "side wife," Pearis built alliances with Native Americans that helped him amass some 150,000 acres, including all of what is now Greenville.
During the revolution, Pearis's support of the Crown prompted . . . — Map (db m20205) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — The Betsy Ross Flag|
This flag, commonly referred to as "The Betsy Ross Flag," was adopted June 14, 1777 (Flag Day). The Continental Congress on this day resolved "That the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes alternating red and white; that the Union be thirteen stars, white on a blue field, representing a new constellation." The designer of this flag is not known, although John Paul Jones has been suggested as a possibility. Congress did not specify an arrangement or number of points for the stars in . . . — Map (db m10853) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — The Moultrie Flag|
This flag, commonly referred to as "The Moultrie Flag," was carried by Colonel William Moultrie's South Carolina Militia on Sullivan's Island in Charleston Harbor on June 28, 1776. The British were defeated that day which saved the South from British occupation for another two years. This flag was also present at the liberation of Charleston on December 14, 1782 by Greene's Southern Continental & Militia Army -- marking the end of the Revolutionary War and final victory in South Carolina. . . . — Map (db m10864) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — The South Carolina Flag|
|Our South Carolina state flag represents one of the oldest flag designs still in use. Its design elements go back to 1765 when three white crescents were used on a blue flag by protesters against the Stamp Act. Ten years later, a flag with a single crescent, or new moon, was hoisted in the Revolutionary War. Colonel William Moultrie designed a flag for the South Carolina soldiers using the blue color of their uniforms as the field and a silver crescent, which the soldiers wore on the front of . . . — Map (db m10856) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Thomas Sumter — "The Gamecock" — 1734-1832|
|The most controversial of Greene's Militia commanders, Sumter was known for his trademark gamecock feather in his hat, his tenacity and his penchant for bloody frontal assaults - characteristics that earned him the moniker "The Gamecock."
Poorly educated but handsome, he was 46 when the British conquered South Carolina and destroyed his home. He raised Militia units to operate in the Midlands by promising plunder of Tory and British property (Sumter's Law) - a practice Greene stopped.
. . . — Map (db m10807) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Simpsonville — 23-3 — Battle of Great Cane Break|
Here along the south side of the creek to Reedy River was fought, Dec. 22, 1775, the Battle of Great Cane Break, between a force of South Carolinians under Colonel William Thompson and a band of Tories under Patrick Cuningham. The Tories were completely routed and Cuningham himself narrowly escaped. — Map (db m60935) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Simpsonville — Simpsonville Veterans Memorial|
|To all veterans for their supreme sacrifice
faithful to the last full measure
always to be remembered. — Map (db m12165) WM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — 23-2 — Camp Sevier|
This camp, named in honor of John Sevier, Lieut. Col., N.C. militia, 1777, Col., 1781, Brig. Gen., U.S.P.A., 1796, was approved as cantonment site May 21, 1917. The 30th Division trained here from August 28, 1917 to May 1, 1918; the 81st, from May 18, 1918 to July 16, 1918; the 20th, from August 12, 1918 to February 28, 1919. — Map (db m10475) HM|
|South Carolina (Greenville County), Travelers Rest — Laodicea Langston Springfield — (Dicey)|
| . . . — Map (db m10301) HM|