|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — "Big Bob"|
|This Alarm Bell Was Acquired
During The Term Of
Robert McGowan Hill
Mayor, 1892 - 1898
And Named For Him. — Map (db m11852) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville County Confederate Monument|
"The world shall yet decide,
In truth's clear, far-off light,
That the soldiers who wore the gray, and died
With Lee were in the right!"
"Brave men may die - right has no death;
Truth never shall pass away."
"Come from the four winds,
O breath and breathe upon these slain,
That they may live."
"On fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread
And glory . . . — Map (db m11279) WM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville County Courthouse (1908)|
|Abbeville's 6th courthouse - designed in beaux arts classical style by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta - dedicated in 1908 with City Hall/Opera House. (Two buildings indirectly financed by profits from Abbeville Dispensary, only one still operating above Columbia.)
1st Courthouse - wooden frame building, pulled down in 1825.
2nd Courthouse (c. 1825) - two-story brick building demolished after discovery of workmen's fraud (kaolin used instead of lime in mortar).
3rd Courthouse (c. . . . — Map (db m14870) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville County Veterans Memorial|
|In Grateful Memory
Of our loves ones from Abbeville County
who stand in the unbroken lines of
patriots who have dared to die that
freedom might live and grow and increase
World War I
Sam Adams, Cleveland Allen, William A. Bobo, Willie A. Bonds, Clarence Boyd, John Bryant, Paul Butler, Jake Childs, Brodas W. Davis, William Donaldson, Edgar E. Eakin, Eugene B. Gary, Jr., Amos Glover, Earl A. Hall, Sam Harkness, William Houston, Claude Eugene Hughes, Eugene . . . — Map (db m11859) WM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville Opera House (1908)|
Abbeville was a railway stopover for "road companies" traveling eastern seaboard from New York to Atlanta so town included an Opera House in its new municipal building designed by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta.
Dedicated October 1st, 1908 along with Court House
October 10th "The Great Divide" opened on its 7500 square foot stage
Many well known artists appeared in 250 live performances staged by traveling companies including dramas, minstrel shows, vaudeville
1910 . . . — Map (db m10354) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Abbeville Square A Stately County Square|
The heart of Abbeville's Historic District is the magnificent tree-shaded Court Square. Located here is the replica of the original Confederate Monument erected in August, 1906 by the Daughters of the Confederacy, an old iron bell once used as the town fire alarm, and the Humane Society Alliance Fountain. We hope you'll take time to visit the many significant historic buildings that stand watch over the Square while in Abbeville.
Opened in 1903 as the Eureka Hotel, . . . — Map (db m12097) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-4 — Abbeville's Confederate Colonels|
|Augustus J. Lythgoe, 19 S.C. Inf.
Killed Murfreesboro, 1862
J. Foster Marshall, Orr's Rifles
Killed Second Manassas, 1862
George M. Miller, Orr's Rifles
Wounded Spotsylvania, 1864
James M. Perrin, Orr's Rifles
Killed Chancellorsville, 1863
Thomas Thomson, Moore's Rifles
Served Oct. 22, 1861-Dec. 10, 1863 — Map (db m10625) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Belmont Inn (1903)|
Opened August 1903 as $30,000 hotel "The Eureka" under management W.T. McFall. Built to cater to "drummers" of the textile trade with 30 rooms and 1 public bath. Banquet rooms used to show their wares while Curtain Call Lounge was a barber shop. Touring theatre companies performing at Opera House also stayed there during railway stopovers in Abbeville. Closed in early 1970s but restored and reopened in 1984 as "Belmont Inn" full service hotel with 25 rooms. — Map (db m7169) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-5 — Birthplace of Calhoun|
On this land settled by his father Patrick Calhoun in the 1750s, defended against the Indians in the Cherokee War and the enemies of liberty in the American Revolution, John Caldwell Calhoun, American statesman and champion of the old South, was born March 18, 1782, and nurtured to young manhood. — Map (db m10626) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Bowie Christian Pioneers|
| Front (East) Inscription
Abraham Boey came from Sterlingshire, Scotland to Charles County, Md. about 1700. His son John had six sons, one being Rhodi who married Ann Price. Rhodi's six children moved to Abbeville County, S.C. ca. 1802-1815. Four are buried in Old Bowie Burial Ground ½ mile north. They are:
Eli Bowie, Rhodi's oldest son, came to S.C. about 1802. Married Katherine Franklin. Founded Gilgal Methodist Church. Many descendants.
Catherine, Spinster. First . . . — Map (db m43827) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-3 — Bowie Family Memorial|
Erected by the descendants of
Abraham Bowie, born in Scotland
and settled in Durham Parish,
Charles County, Maryland, about
1700 A.D. The family of his grandson
Rhody Bowie, moved to Abbeville
County, South Carolina about 1800.
Eli Bowie, son of Rhody Bowie,
established Gilgal Church in 1817.
This church is located two miles
east of this memorial and is the
site of the Bowie reunion each year. — Map (db m9338) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-7 — Burt-Stark House / Jefferson Daviss Flight|
|Burt-Stark House When Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, left Richmond after its fall in April 1865, he traveled south, trying to reach and rally the remnants of his army. On May 2, he spent the night at the home of Col. Armistead Burt. In 1971, Burts grand-niece Mary Stark Davis gave this historic house and all its furnishings to Abbeville's Historic Preservation Commission.
Jefferson Daviss Flight
Here, at the home of Colonel Burt, President Jefferson Davis held . . . — Map (db m10564) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Clarence E. Pressley|
In Memory of
Clarence E. Pressley
A Son of Abbeville, South Carolina
Businessman - Humanitarian - Leader
Friend - Mentor - Family Protector. — Map (db m25197) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Conservation Cabin|
|Built by James Fell in 1815
in the Cedar Springs area
of old Abbeville District — Map (db m11863) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Constitution Tree|
of the Signing of
the United States
1787-1987 — Map (db m43733) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — First Burial in Long Cane Cemetery|
In memory of the first person, a young girl whose name is unknown. Buried here about 1760. The story goes that she was visiting the Lesly family and died as a result of injuries sustained while they were making lye soap. John Lesly and his brother, Thomas, who lived not far apart, set off walking from their homes and where they met they established this Lesly graveyard that was later renamed Upper Long Cane Cemetery.
This marker is placed on her grave in 2008 by members of the Upper . . . — Map (db m18756) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — First Secession Meeting Boulder|
marks the spot
were made. — Map (db m25192) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — First Secession Meeting Columns|
"Lord God of Hosts, Be With Us Yet,
Lest We Forget, Lest We Forget
On the hillside in the rear of this memorial on November 22, 1860, the first organized secession meeting was held.
On that day the ancient artillery company, the Southern Rights Dragoons, and companies of minute-men from Abbeville, Greenwood, Cokesbury, Ninety-Six, Bradley, Due West, Donalds, Wickliffe, and Calhoun's Mill marched in line together with an immence concourse of loyal citizens; . . . — Map (db m11691) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Forest Lawn Memory Gardens Veterans Monument|
| West Facade
Seal of the U.S. Army
World War II
to the Glory of God
and to the Men of All
Seal of the U.S. Navy
World War I
In Loving Memory
of Our Sons Who Gave
Seal of the U.S. Marine Corps
to All Men in the
Valhalla Which All
Seal of the U.S. Air Force
and . . . — Map (db m41335) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Fort Pickens|
marks the place
where, in 1767,
Gen. Andrew Pickens
as a place of refuge
against the Indians.
It was used as a fort
and was known as
Fort Pickens. — Map (db m18765) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Harbison College President's Home|
|The National Register
of Historic Places:
President's Home — Map (db m37607) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Henry McNeal Turner|
|Historical Bicentennial marker
in memory of
Henry McNeal Turner
Birthplace: Newberry, South Carolina - Boyhood home: Abbeville, South Carolina
Missionary Pioneer to South Africa, Liberation Theologian, Social and Political Activist, First Black United States Military Chaplain, Consecrated Twelfth Bishop, African Methodist Episcopal Church
-- 1880 --
Henry Wendell Murph
John Hurst Adams, Richard Allen Hildebrand, Samuel . . . — Map (db m20249) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Humane Society Alliance Fountain (1912)|
One of 125 watering troughs/fountains presented to communities around the U.S. in early 1900's by National Humane Alliance with endowment from Herman Lee Ensign, founder. Minnie Maddern Fiske (1865-1932), actress/activist (husband president of the Alliance) was instigator of campaign to improve lot of workhorses & donated proceeds from her performances to fund these watering troughs. Abbeville's 5-ton fountain, one of the few still in original location, installed as watering trough in 1912. . . . — Map (db m11856) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Last Cabinet Meeting Marker|
|This tablet was placed here
the last meeting of the
Confederate States Cabinet
which was held in the Burt House near by
directly in front of this stone.
The following cabinet members were present:
Jefferson Davis, President
Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of State
John C. Breckenridge, Secretary of War
S.R. Mallory, Secretary of Navy
John H. Reagan, Post Master Gen'l
A council of war was held at the same
time with the . . . — Map (db m12094) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Lebanon Presbyterian Church 1821-1963|
| [Left Plaque]:
Original building of 1827 replaced by present building in 1963. standing on this rock, the first sermon was preached by Rev. R.B. Carter in 1820. The following ministers have faithfully served this church:
Rev. Richard B. Carter 1821-1831
Rev. Isaac Waddell 1832-1837
Rev. Charles Martin 1837-1838
Rev. James F. Gibert 1838-1882
Dr. J.O. Lindsay 1883-1900
Rev. J.C. Henderson 1903-1904
Rev. L.W. Brown 1904-1906
Rev. J.B. Hilhouse 1907-1924
Rev. J.R. . . . — Map (db m37588) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-16 — Long Cane Cemetery|
This cemetery, sometimes called Upper Long Cane Cemetery, dates from 1760. It includes the graves of some of the most prominent families of this area from the Colonial era to the present. The first marked grave is the field stone of John Lesly, inscribed "A.D. 1776." The granite entrance pillars and stone wall were built in 1935 as a memorial to veterans of eight wars who are buried here. The cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
. . . — Map (db m50740) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-8 — Maj. Thomas D. Howie The Major of St. Lτ|
Birthplace of Thomas Dry Howie (1908–1944), World War II hero famous as “The Major of St. Lτ,” Abbeville High School, Class of 1925. The Citadel, Class of 1929, where he was an all-state football player and was president of his class. Coach and teacher, Staunton Military Academy, Staunton Va., 1929-1941. Lt., 116th Inf. Va. National Guard, 1941. Promoted to major; served at regimental H.Q. until
July 1944, when he took command of the . . . — Map (db m9344) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Major Thomas Dry Howie Commander, 2nd Battalion, 116th Infantry, 29th Division U.S. Army 1908–1944|
|Abbeville honors herself in
honoring her son
The Major of St. Lo.
He fell during the liberation of Normandy and was taken by his troops into St. Lo. His flag-draped body was enshrined in the ruins of Ste. Croix Church and was saluted by his passing soldiers.
Buried in St. Lauren Military Cemetery
Dead in France Deathless in Fame — Map (db m9732) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Marie Cromer Seigler|
In Memory of
Marie Cromer Seigler
Founder of 4-H
1883 - 1964 — Map (db m43653) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Marilyn Anne McKinney|
|In Memory of
Marilyn Anne McKinney
President of the Rhodi Bowie
Family Historical Society
from 1989 until her death June 17, 1995. She was an outstanding leader earning our love and support. — Map (db m20781) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-11 — McGowan-Barksdale-Bundy House|
This 1888 Queen Anne house was the home of Gen. Samuel McGowan (1819-1897) until his death. McGowan, a lawyer, Confederate general, and jurist born in Laurens Co., had moved to Abbeville in 1841. He was an officer during the Mexican War and in the S.C. militia after it. During the Civil War he commanded the 14th S.C. Infantry 1862-63 and commanded a S.C. brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia 1863-65.
After 1865 McGowan bought a house on this lot. . . . — Map (db m21732) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Old Bank Building (ca. 1865)|
|Designed by S. Henry James to house first Bank of South Carolina in the Upstate (later became National Bank of Abbeville). One of oldest remaining buildings on the Square after a series of downtown fires in 1870s destroyed much of downtown.
Bank lobby features series of 1922 paintings by Wilbur Kurtz depicting a hundred years of Abbeville's history from Gen. Andrew Pickens to Jefferson Davis' Last War Council Meeting.
(Remained a bank until end of 1995 when donated to the City by Nations Bank.) — Map (db m11918) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Operation Desert Shield / Storm Monument Lest We Forget|
|A Tribute to
the Men and Women of Abbeville County
Who Served in the Military in
Operation Desert Shield
Operation Desert Storm
August 2, 1990 ----- February 28, 1991 — Map (db m11860) WM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Parsons Mountain Land Renewed|
At 832 feet, Parsons Mountain holds the title of the highest point in the general geographic area surrounding Parsons Mountain. Mr. James Parsons, the mountain's namesake, acquired it through a land grant in 1772. In the mid 1800s, gold was discovered on the mountain, further adding interest to the area.
Long before Mr. Parsons, American Indians lived in and used these rich, productive forests. Settlers in the 1770s worked the land, obtaining what they could from agricultural practices, . . . — Map (db m43727) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Parsons Mountain World War II Memorial In Memoriam|
|This Parson's Mountain
Recreation Center is
Dedicated to the Memory of
the Men of Abbeville County,
Who Gave Their Lives in World
War II, 1941 — 1945, for the
Freedom of Mankind. — Map (db m43732) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-1 — Patrick Calhoun Burial Grounds|
5.5 miles southeast is the burial ground of Patrick and Martha Caldwell Calhoun, Parents of John C. Calhoun; Deputy Surveyor 1756; First Representative from Up Country to Commons House of Assembly, 1769-1772; Member of First Provincial Congress, 1775; Second, 1775-1776; General Assembly, 1776; and frequently after until his death, 1796. His greatest service to his state was his successful fight for the Circuit Courts Act, 1762. Across the road is his home site. — Map (db m10627) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Secession Hill|
|One of the first organized mass meetings held here on November 22, 1860, to launch South Carolina's secession from the Union. Judge A.G. Magrath of Charleston, urged "immediate action on the part of South Carolina at any & every hazard", followed by Gen. M.L. Bonham, Cong. McGowan, Major Armistead Burt & others. Resolutions unanimously adopted favoring secession of the State. Committee of twenty appointed nominees Edward Noble, John A. Calhoun, Thomas Thompson, John H. Wilson & D.L. Wardlaw to . . . — Map (db m11686) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-14 — Secession Hill|
On November 22, 1860, a mass meeting on this site was one of the first held in the South after Abraham Lincolns election as president on November 6. A procession from the town square, numbering 2,000 to 3,000, made its way to a grove here, near the Greenville & Columbia RR depot. Many in the crowd wore palmetto cockades as bands played, militia and volunteer companies marched with flags and banners, and some units even fired cannon salutes.
Andrew G. . . . — Map (db m41700) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — The Bundy-Barksdale-McGowan House|
|Queen Anne style Architecture Built in 1888
Once Owned by Confederate Gen. Samuel McGowan and by WWII Gen. W.E. Barksdale
Donated by J.D. Bundy in 1989 to the Abbeville County Historical Society
Now serves as Headquarters for the Society and the Jane Greene Center for the Arts — Map (db m16129) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — The Law Offices of John C. Calhoun|
Near here, from 1807 to 1817, were
situated the law offices of
John C. Calhoun.
Born in the Long Canes District of Abbeville March 18, 1782.
Died, Washington D.C.
March 31, 1850.
Member of Congress
Secretary of War
Vice President of the United States
United States Senator
Secretary of State
1844-1845 — Map (db m7352) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — The Old Livery Stable|
|The original livery stable on this site is believed to have been built in the 1840s. It was a wooden structure, and was lost during a devastating fire in 1872 that also destroyed much of downtown Abbeville. The current brick and masonry livery stable was built in the late 1870s on the site of the original building. After the advent of the automobile, the building was used as a warehouse for a number of decades.
In 2002, the building was generously donated by Mrs. Margaret Flynn Bowie and . . . — Map (db m41130) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — This Water Fountain|
|This Water Fountain
The United States
Abbeville American Legion
Post No. 2
November 11, 1980 — Map (db m11883) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-10 — Thomas Chiles Perrin House|
The Greek Revival residence of Thomas Chiles Perrin (1805-1878), prominent Abbeville District lawyer, planter, businessman, and politician, stood here from 1858 until it burned in 1877. When completed the house was described as "one of the finest and most commodious mansions in the State." Perrin served as mayor, state representative and senator, and for many years as president of the Greenville & Columbia RR.
In December 1860, as chair of the . . . — Map (db m9358) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Trinity Episcopal Church Abbeville's Gothic Revival Church|
| Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest standing church in Abbeville. With its classic Gothic architecture and 125-foot steeple, it dominates the Abbeville skyline. Built by a congregation made prosperous by the economy of cotton in the antebellum period, it was constructed in 1859-60 as clouds gathered for a war that would radically change their way of life forever.
Memorial to Colonel and Mrs. J. Foster Marshall. Colonel Marshall is one of three lost colonels of . . . — Map (db m11921) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — William Bartram Trail Traced 1773-1777 South Atlantic Region|
|In 1775, William Bartram visited
several days at "Lough-Abber"
home of A. Cameron, en route
north to the Cherokee country. — Map (db m44723) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — Calhoun Falls World War I and II Veterans Monument|
In Memory of
those who lost their
lives in World War
I and II
Burton, Harold A.
Clark, Marshall L.
Cox, Clarence W.
Hagood, Martin D.
Norris, E. Boyce
Tucker, David O.
Taggart, George — Map (db m25199) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — 1-2 — Millwood Home of James Edward Calhoun|
| Half mile southeast is Millwood, home of James Edward Calhoun, 1796-1898, son of John Ewing and Floride Bonneau Calhoun and brother-in-law of John C. Calhoun. After serving as lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, he developed Millwood, which ultimately included 25,000 acres. Seeing the value of Trotter's Shoals, a part of this estate, he was among the first to encourage the use of Southern water power. — Map (db m9439) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — Olin D. Johnston Memorial Boulevard|
| . . . — Map (db m9437) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — Richard B. Russell Dam Flood Control, Electric Power, and Recreation|
On the upper Savannah River near Elberton, Ga., and Calhoun Falls, S.C. lies the Richard B. Russell Dam and Lake -- authorized for construction by the Flood Control Act of 1966 for the purposes of hydropower generation, recreation and flood control. Originally known as Trotters Shoals, the dam site is situated about midway between the J. Strom Thurmond and Hartwell dams and lake projects of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District.
The Russell Project
Construction of the . . . — Map (db m15876) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — Welcome to Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area|
Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area is located on Lake Russell, one of South Carolina's most popular and undeveloped large reservoirs. Lake Russell was created in 1984 and the 26,650-acre reservoir is surrounded by another 26,000 acres of public land. Calhoun Falls gets its name form the first settler, James Edward Calhoun, who settled near rocky shoals on the Savannah River that are now under the lake. The lake provides excellent fishing for bass, bluegill, crappie and catfish. The 318-acre . . . — Map (db m41448) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Donalds — 1-9 — Boonesborough Township (1763)|
Surveyed in 1762 by Patrick Calhoun and named for Gov. Thomas Boone, this 20,500-acre township was one of four townships laid out west of Ninety-Six as a buffer between white and Cherokee lands. In 1763 Scots-Irish families began to settle in the area near Long Cane, Park's and Chickasaw Creeks. The headwaters of Long Cane Creek are 500 feet south; the Cherokee Path crossed the township boundary one mile south. — Map (db m10605) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Donalds — Templeton-Drake Cabin ca. 1764|
Jane Byrd Wilson
Sept. 19,1939 - March 17, 2000
She worked to preserve the valuable
heritage of the Boonesborough Township — Map (db m12103) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Donalds — The Donalds Grange No. 497 Patrons of Husbandry and Literacy|
The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community and Abbeville County. For these reasons, Donalds Grange No. 497, Patrons of Husbandry, was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1995. Construction in 1935 by local Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor on land donated by W. Maxie Agnew, the building served originally as the home of the town hall, the grange, and the public . . . — Map (db m12112) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Abbeville County Rich in History and Natural Resources|
Named after the city in France, Abbeville County has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The town of Abbeville, the county seat, is known for its quaint tree-lined square with bricked streets; the famous 1908 historic Opera House and its companion building, the Courthouse; the historic "pink" church, Trinity Episcopal, with its soaring spire; and fine Victorian homes like the Burt-Stark Mansion, a National Historic Landmark. The town of Due West is home to the 19th century Erskine . . . — Map (db m14843) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — 1-13 — Action at Pratt's Mill|
The last action of the Revolution in this part of S.C. was at Pratt's Mill, a grist mill on the Little River owned by Joseph Pratt. On October 30, 1781, an outpost of 30 Patriots at the mill, under Capt. John Norwood, was surprised by 30 Loyalists and Cherokees under Col. William "Bloody Bill" Cunningham. Norwood, who was wounded, was the only casualty on either side.
The Patriots fled, leaving behind 30 horses and most of their weapons; the Loyalists . . . — Map (db m20821) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Angela Marlow Newton Class of 1995|
The initial gift and a substantial contribution toward the construction of this sign were donated by members of the Class of 1995 as a memorial to their classmate, Angela Marlow Newton, whose untimely death in her senior year at Erskine College touched the members of the class and the Erskine community.
Erskine College also expresses appreciation to the members of the Class of 1998 and others who gave generously to this project. — Map (db m12098) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Bryson College Memorial Living Water|
In gratitude for the lasting benefits Bryson College provided for so many students, her Alumni and Friends have provided this Memorial Fountain to perpetuate the "Associate Reformed Presbyterian College in the West." This fountain is dedicated in memory of the first President of Bryson College, Dr. Hunter Bryson Blakely, his successors, faculty, personnel, all Bryson Alumni and Friends of the College. Bryson College was founded in Fayetteville, Tennessee, in 1919 and closed in 1929, merging . . . — Map (db m14782) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Camp-Walker Plaza|
|Given to the
Harry W. Walker
In honor of the
commitment to Erskine. — Map (db m14896) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — 1-6 — Due West|
As early as 1765 the site 6 miles NW known to the Indians as Yellow Water, where the Keowee Path crossed the Cherokee line, was called DeWitt's Corner. In 1777 a treaty between S.C. and the Cherokee Indians was signed there. The present town was first called Due West Corner. Here in 1839 Erskine College the state's first 4-year church college was founded by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m10602) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Erskine College South Carolina's First Four-Year Church-Related College|
Erskine College was founded in 1839 by the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church as South Carolina's first four-year church-related college. The college grew out of an academy for men established in 1835 and seminary founded two years later at Due West.
In 1859 Due West Woman's College was founded and continued for 70 years until it was merged with Erskine in 1929.
Today Erskine's academic excellence as a liberal arts college continues with consistent ranking among the country's . . . — Map (db m14793) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Rev. J.I. Bonner Monument|
Due West Female College
and for near twenty two years
By the Alumnae and
to the Memory of
Rev. J.I. Bonner D.D. — Map (db m15790) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — William Moffatt Grier|
Servant of Christ.
Born Feb. 11, 1843
Died Sept. 3, 1899.
from 1871 to 1899.
His service is
measured not by
years but by results.
He still lives in
hundreds of useful
lives to which he
and guidance -
Life's work well done,
Life's race well run.
Life's crown well won,
Now comes rest. — Map (db m14835) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Honea Path — 1-15 — Broadmouth Baptist Church|
This church, named for nearby Broadmouth Creek, was organized in 1837 with nine charter members. Rev. William P. Martin was its first minister, and William Long and Noah Riddle Reeve were its first deacons. This tract was purchased from Jesse Gent in 1838. By 1850 the church had 213 members, both white and black. The present sanctuary, the second on this site, was built in 1954.
After the Civil War, former slaves left to organize New Broadmouth . . . — Map (db m36914) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Honea Path — John Callaham - Zachariah Carwile Memorial|
Born in Virginia 1770
Migrated to South Carolina 1790
Died Level Land 1855
First Wife, Nancy Jarrett - Three
of Twelve Children of This Union
Married Sons of Zachariah Carwile.
Second Wife, Nancy Pinson - Eleven
Children by This Marriage. Donated
Land for Little River Church Property.
Born in Goochland County, Virginia 1750
Died, Level Land 1841. Lies in Unmarked
Grave in This Cemetery. Soldier
of Revolutionary War. Fought at . . . — Map (db m49923) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Honea Path — Southside Baptist Church Formerly Goose Creek|
|April 1, 1962
Relocated & Renamed
Rev. Dale Ashley, Pastor
June 2, 1985
Rev. Norton Craig, Pastor
November 22, 1987
Rev. Jimmy Smith, Pastor
On this 25th Anniversary
To God We Give Praise — Map (db m37558) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Lowndesville — Bartlett Tucker Family Cemetery|
|Forty graves in this cemetery
containing the remains of
Bartlett Tucker (1874-1861)
and members of his family
were relocated to this spot
from 0.22 acres s/w known as
Tract No. 1300 C-2 in 1983.
There were no identifiable marked
graves. The Tucker family moved
from this area in December 1906. — Map (db m58757) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Lowndesville — Harpers Ferry Drowning|
April 4, 1920
June 12, 1900
May 23, 1897
Annie L. Manning
March 18, 1904
Dec. 20, 1907
March 14, 1903
W. Lester Waters
Oct. 24, 1855
Lollie S. Waters
Nov. 6, 1899
Aug. 7, 1906
Feb. 4, 1904
June 27, 1964 — Map (db m57903) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Lowndesville — 1-12 — Lowndesville|
[Front]: This town, established in 1823, grew up around a store owned by Matthew Young (1803-1876), who was also postmaster 1831-43. It was first called Pressly's Station, for the post office opened in 1823 with David Pressly (1764-1834) as postmaster. The town was renamed Rocky River in 1831 and then Lowndesville in 1836 for William Lowndes (1782-1822), U.S. Congressman 1811-22.
[Reverse]: Lowndesville, incorporated in 1839, had about 150 inhabitants for most of its . . . — Map (db m9397) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Lowndesville — Lowndesville Veterans Monument|
|Dedicated to all Veterans of
Abbeville County, S.C.
to the Honor and Memory
of Those Who Bravely
Served to Keep Our Country
a Land of
[East Facing, Left Inscription]
U.S. Air Force Seal / U.S. Marine Corps Seal
Sgt Ray N. "Joe" Adams
Sgt Maj William J. Adams
Maj Mary E. Alexander
Pvt Floyd L. Alewine
Sgt Charles L. Boles
Sgt Singleton S. Boles
Pvt Collis H. Bones
T/Sgt Herman H. Bonds*
Cpl Randolph A. Bonds
Cpl Richard O. Bonds . . . — Map (db m42418) HM|
|South Carolina (Abbeville County), Lowndesville — W.D. Nixon Bridge|
|Named in 1982
in honor of
a dedicated public
ardent supporter of
the construction of
Richard B. Russell Dam
Member, S.C. House
1949 — 1953
Served also as
Abbeville County Council
Democratic Party — Map (db m9442) HM|