|Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — East Arkdale Cemetery|
|On July 11, 1859, Mr. Halvor Olson offered this 1/2 acre of his land to be used as a cemetery for the members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Hauge Synod) here in the Roche a Cree (Arkdale) settlement. People of the community outside the congregation could also use this cemetery as their burial place.
The cemetery was to be ready for use by April 14, 1860. The poor were to be buried without charge. A fee of $2.00 was asked for the burial of individuals who were not members of the . . . — Map (db m7368) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod|
|On this site once stood a Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod, from the years 1887 to 1921. This church developed because of a disagreement on some doctrinal points with the United Lutheran Church which stood one half mile south of here.
Because of the merger of the three Norwegian churches in the area in 1919, this building was no longer needed. It was donated to a sister Lutheran congregation that had organized in the city of Adams. It was carefully dismantled and transported to Adams . . . — Map (db m4657) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — 390 — Site of the First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Roche-a-Cri|
|In 1850, a group of Norwegian settlers from Koshkonong, the foremost Norwegian settlement colony in the United States at the time, left their southern Wisconsin home and migrated north, settling here in "Roch-a-Cree" or Roche-a-Cri. Imbued with pioneer spirit and a firm faith in Lutheranism, these settlers homesteaded and became successful farmers, growing potatoes as the their staple crop. In 1853, the Rev. H. A. Preus, a university-trained minister of the Norwegian state church, visited . . . — Map (db m36123) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Arkdale — West Church|
|In 1853, Norwegian immigrants to this area, organized the Norwegian Evangelical Church of Roche-a-Cri, in 1860. A log church was constructed one mile south of this location. It was destroyed by fire in 1866. A frame church was then erected on this site in 1868 but was destroyed by a cyclone in 1872.
With faith undaunted, a larger church was built on this site in 1875, known as the "West Church," it served as the congregation spiritual home for 53 years, until it was struck by lightning and . . . — Map (db m4658) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — 260 — Roche-A-Cri State Park|
|This prominent butte, perhaps the steepest hill in Wisconsin, was called La Roche-a-Cri by 17th and 18th century French voyageurs. Rising 300 feet above the surrounding plain, this landmark undoubtedly guided Indians and early pioneers. Indians of an undetermined cultural group left rock carvings, called petroglyphs, at places on Roche-a-Cri. Like many similar formations on Wisconsin's sandy Central Plain, this butte is composed of Cambrian sandstone about 500,000,000 years old. The flat plain . . . — Map (db m19822) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Friendship — Veterans Memorial / Cpl. Red Cloud Tribute|
POWs – MIAs
Designed by Cpl. Donald E. Hahn
34th and 19th Reg.
Cpl. Mitchell Red Cloud Jr.
Medal of Honor
Red Cloud Post 250
Adams - Friendship, Wisconsin
— Map (db m37091) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Monroe Center — Monroe Cemetery|
|Ira and Ransom Gleason, father and uncle to Charlotte and Francis Marion Rous set aside the original acre of land for this cemetery, from the land they obtained through the Public Lands Act of 1820. This plaque in memory of Edna Rous Russell and Harry Rous. — Map (db m7534) HM|
|Wisconsin (Adams County), Rome — Spring Branch Cemetery Veterans Memorial|
Duty, Honor, Country
We dedicate this monument to
all our service men and women
in all wars and conflicts.
United States Army
United States Marines
United States Navy
United States Air Force
United States Coast Guard
Killed in Action
Missing in Action
Prisoners of War
Our Lord's Prayer
Our Father, Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom
come. Thy Will be done, on earth
as it is in Heaven. Give us this day
our daily bread. And . . . — Map (db m41686) WM|