HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Aiken County Markers
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 1953 Gas Explosion
On January 27, 1953, an explosion caused by a natural gas leak killed ten people and destroyed five buildings on the northern half of this block. The five buildings destroyed were Platt's Drug Store, the Jones Electric Company (the site of the explosion), R.W. McCreary's, the Diana Shop, and Liles Drug Company (the former site of Hahn Grocery for many years). The Holley Building and the others to the south, sustained damage, but survived the blast. The ten local citizens (nine . . . — Map (db m28716) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-23 — Aiken
Aiken, chartered in 1835 and the county seat of Aiken County since its creation in 1871, was an early stop on the railroad line from Charleston to Hamburg. It was named for William Aiken (1779–1831), the first president of the S.C. Canal and Railroad Co. Aiken’s mild climate and accessibility by rail soon made it a health resort for visitors hoping to escape the summer heat or seeking relief from tuberculosis and other lung ailments. On Feb. 11, 1865, Federal and Confederate cavalry clashed . . . — Map (db m9640) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–8 — Aiken County
Aiken County, created in 1871 from parts of Barnwell, Edgefield, Lexington, and Orangeburg counties, was named for William Aiken, first president of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. Older industries in the county today are textiles, and the mining and processing of kaolin. In 1952, the Atomic Energy Commission’s Savannah River Plant began operations. — Map (db m9707) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County 125th Anniversary
In Commemoration Of The Founding Of Aiken County on March 10, 1871 Celebrating 125 years County Commissioners: Sen. C.D. Hayne, Rep. Gloster Holland, Rep. William B. Jones, Rep. Sam J. Lee, William Peel, Rep. Prince Rivers, S. B. Spencer, F.P. Stoney Erected March 10, 1996 — Map (db m34610) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Confederate Monument
(South Face) They gave their all in defense of Home, Honor, Liberty and the Independence of their native land They fought the patriots fight They kept the faith of their fathers Forever honored And forever mourned (North Face) Erected July 23, 1901 By the Ladies Monument Association Of Aiken S.C. In loving tribute to the Confederate Soldiers of Aiken County — Map (db m17047) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Courthouse Bell
Forged in 1882 at Troy, N.Y., the bell hung in the courthouse 1882-1981. In 1931, lightning cracked the bell and caused a fire that destroyed the cupola. — Map (db m9850) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-32 — Aiken County Farmers' Market
The Aiken County Farmers’ Market, founded in 1951, was originally an open air market sponsored by the Edisto Grange. This building, which opened on May 21, 1954, was designed by Woodrow Jackson and built by the Aiken County chain gang. Farmers and their families built 45 tables, still used today. This is the oldest county farmers’ market in continuous service in the same location in S.C. — Map (db m28630) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Aiken County Museum
Life in Aiken The coming of the railroad was a major factor in the birth of Aiken. The all-important cotton crop and Graniteville fabrics could get to market. Add to life in Aiken a lady lonesome for her wealthy friends up North and you have the beginning of the Winter Colony in the 1930s, and 40s. With the Winter Colony came hunting and horseback riding, polo, golf, and tennis - a lifestyle that changed the area. Banksia (An early photo of Banksia included) This . . . — Map (db m63263) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-29 — Aiken First Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1805, predates the city of Aiken and was first called Levels Baptist Church. Its first location was a mile south of present-day Aiken. In 1836 the congregation joined with the members of the Wise Creek congregation to build a sanctuary here, on land deeded by the S.C. Railroad and Canal Co. They renamed their congregation Aiken Baptist Church. The frame church burned in 1876 and was replaced in 1878. (Reverse text) The third church, a Gothic Revival . . . — Map (db m10060) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-47 — Aiken Hospital / Aiken County Hospital
Aiken Hospital The first public hospital in Aiken, at the corner of Richland Ave. and Vaucluse Rd., was built in 1917 for the Aiken Hospital and Relief Society, with donations from members of the “Aiken Winter Colony.” The City of Aiken donated 3 acres of Eustis Park for the hospital and grounds. The hospital, built by local African-American contractor McGhee & McGhee, featured a hexagonal cupola. It closed in 1924 but reopened in 1927 with additional funding. Aiken County . . . — Map (db m54518) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–16 — Aiken Institute
The Aiken Institute, which gave this area the name of “Institute Hill,” was chartered in 1888. The main building, designed by I.F. Goodrich in 1891, includes a wing added in 1913. All grades attended the Institute until 1937, when a new high school was built and this became Aiken Elementary School. It was the second oldest school in use in the state when it closed in 1986. The 1913 wing became the Aiken County Public Library in 1990. — Map (db m9942) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Battle of Aiken
Near this spot on February 11, 1865 was fought one of the final Confederate victories of the War Between The States. Federal Cavalry commanded by Major General Hugh Judson Kirkpatrick were attacked by Confederate Cavalry commanded by Major General Joseph Wheeler when the Federals entered Aiken from the south east along the South Carolina Railroad. The Federals retreated to Montmorenci where their infantry support was stationed. Successful defense of Aiken by the Confederates . . . — Map (db m10061) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Coker Spring
The source of water for early settlers. A stagecoach stop on route from Abbeville to Charleston, S.C. Deeded to City of Aiken 1844 by Wm. Peronneau Finley. Restored by many friends in 1972. (Upper Medallion) The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives And History Coker Spring — Map (db m56810) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-46 — Coker Spring
The freshwater spring 1/2 mi. SE was used by prehistoric Indians. It was deeded to the town of Aiken in 1844 by William Perroneau Finley (1803-1876) and furnished Aiken´s drinking water throughout the 19th century. A regular stop on the stagecoach route from Abbeville to Charleston, it helped make Aiken a popular health resort. William Gilmore Simms described it in 1843 as “a fountain of delicious water, which is equally cold and unfailing.” (Reverse text) . . . — Map (db m63615) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Defense of Aiken
In Memory of the Confederate soldiers who lost their lives in defense of Aiken, Feb. 11, 1865 Erected by the Memorial Association 1911 — Map (db m10062) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-40 — First Presbyterian Church of Aiken
This church, founded in 1858 with 14 charter members and W. Peronneau Finley and John D. Legare as elders, first met in the Aiken Town Hall on Laurens St. Its first permanent sanctuary, a frame building designed by Charleston architect Edward Brickell White, was completed and dedicated in 1859. It stood at the corner of Laurens Street and Railroad (now Park) Avenue until it was demolished in 1924. (Reverse text): The second sanctuary, a Classical Revival brick building, was . . . — Map (db m29274) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — H. Odell WeeksAugust 3, 1908 - December 14, 1992
Major 1946 - 1952 1957 - 1991 His office was our city's sidewalks and storefronts, and from his walks about the downtown he gained the information needed for leadership. He was an advocate for harmony and teamwork, regardless of political view, and a visionary whose leadership brought our city state-wide recognition. He was our mayor for more years than many of our citizens have lived, and his long service recommends him as one of those rare people who come along at the right . . . — Map (db m15136) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-42 — Highland Park Hotel
The Highland Park Hotel, Aiken’s first grand tourist hotel, stood atop this plateau. It was built in 1869-70 and opened in 1870. A four-story Second Empire wing built in 1874 doubled its capacity to 350 guests. Open from November to June, it was at first favored by visitors coming to Aiken for their health and later by wealthy Northerners who wintered here and formed the “Aiken Winter Colony” in the 1890s. (Reverse text): Interior features included men’s and . . . — Map (db m29974) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-31 — Hitchcock Woods
Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the United States, is an area consolidated between 1891 and 1898 by Celestine Eustis (d. 1921), Thomas Hitchcock (1860-1941), and William Whitney (1841-1904). Described as "the greatest equine playground in America," this tract of more than 8,000 acres was used for steeplechases, fox hunts and other equestrian recreation by the wealthy Northerners who belonged to the "Aiken Winter Colony." (Marker reverse text) The tract, now . . . — Map (db m9776) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Hofmann1876 - 1957
Josef Casimir Hofmann, internationally known Polish pianist, resided with his wife, Aikenite Marie Eustis Hofmann, in a three~story house located several hundred feet west of here. Born near Cracow, Poland, he was recognized as a gifted pianist at an early age and considered the finest interpreter of Chopin. He and his wife were instrumental in founding the Fermata School for Girls, which first opened in 1919 on the upper floor of the Hofmann home. — Map (db m10184) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — James F. Byrnes1879-1972
Lawmaker Supreme Court Justice "Assistant President" Secretary of State Peacemaker Governor Citizen of Aiken, 1900-1926 He gave a lifetime of service to state, nation, and the world. — Map (db m15133) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-25 — Millbrook Baptist Church
This church, formally organized in 1884, had its origins in a Sunday school class organized in 1874. With 16 charter members and Rev. Arthur Buist as its first minister, Millbrook built its first sanctuary here in 1886. The frame church, built by J.V. George, was described as “one of the prettiest and best arranged” churches in this part of the state when it was dedicated. (Reverse text): The original 1886 church was enlarged in 1909 and again in 1952. With the . . . — Map (db m38281) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-26 — Original Survey of Aiken
The town of Aiken, on land donated by Mr. Beverly M. Rodgers to the S.C. Rail Road in 1834, was laid out around a core of 27 city blocks bounded by Edgefield and Park Aves. and Newberry and Williamsburg Sts. This area was surveyed by civil engineers Cyril Ouviere Pascalis (1810-1836?) and Andrew Alfred Dexter (1809-1854), who had also helped survey the route of the new railroad between Hamburg and Charleston in 1832-33. — Map (db m29613) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-24 — Pickens - Salley House
(Front text) This plantation house, first known as “Edgewood,” is an excellent example of Federal-era architecture. Originally near Edgefield, it was built in 1828 for Francis W. Pickens (1807-1869), state representative and senator, congressman, U.S. Minister to Russia, and governor 1860-62 during the secession crisis and the first two years of the Civil War. Lucy Holcombe Pickens was an ardent Confederate and novelist. (Reverse text) In 1929 Eulalie Chafee . . . — Map (db m43154) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Robert M. Bell Parkway
Named in 1985 by action of the Aiken County Legislative Delegation and Highway Commission in recognition of an outstanding citizen and his many contributions to the life and well being of his county, district. and state 2nd District member, S.C. State Highways and Public Transportation Commission 1982 - 1986 — Map (db m44725) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-19 — Schofield School
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon expanded to this two-block site and combined academics with instruction in industrial, farming, and homemaking skills. The 1897 Schofield School bulletin declared, "Character building is our most important work." (Reverse text): . . . — Map (db m28821) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road CompanyOriginal Track Location
Began first successful scheduled steam railroad service in America on December 25, 1830, and by 1833 its 136 miles from Charleston to Hamburg made it the world’s longest railroad. Now part of Southern Railway System. — Map (db m9999) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-35 — St. John's Methodist Church
This church has its origin in 1825 as a Methodist congregation on the Hollow Creek Circuit that predates the city of Aiken. Rev. John Reynolds was the first circuit rider serving St. John's, which shared a minister with St. John in Graniteville until becoming a seperate congregation in 1856. The first sanctuary here, a frame Greek Revival church designed by Dr. E.J.C. Wood, was built in 1857-58. (Reverse text): The 1858 Greek revival church was demolished in 1961-64 and . . . — Map (db m10163) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–12 — St. Thaddeus Church
This Episcopal Church (cornerstone laid Sept. 5, 1842) was consecrated Aug. 9, 1843. It is the city’s oldest church structure, having retained its Greek revival style through subsequent remodeling. Church purchased bell in 1853, Cornish Memorial Chapel completed in 1888, and Mead Hall School opened 1955. William Gregg (1800–1867), an important figure in the textile industry in SC, was one of the church founders. (Reverse text): Buried in the churchyard are John H. . . . — Map (db m19634) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-38 — The Augusta & Aiken Railway
The Augusta and Aiken Railway, a 26 mile interurban electric trolley line between Augusta, Ga., and Aiken, operated from 1902 to 1929. In Aiken the line began at the corner of Park Ave. & Union St., proceeded west on Park, then north on Laurens St., then west on Hampton Ave., and toward Augusta on what is now Trolley Line Rd. The first passengers paid 25 cents to ride 2 hours one way or 4 hours for a round trip. (Reverse text) In 1906 the railway bought 4 new passenger cars . . . — Map (db m10137) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-44 — The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995
The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 On August 27, 1956, at the Savannah River Plant (now Savannah River Site), Drs. Clyde L. Cowan, Jr. (1919-1974) and Frederick Reines (1918-1999) used P Reactor to detect the neutrino, a sub-atomic particle hypothesized in 1930 but unconfirmed until their experiment, one of the most significant in modern physics. The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995 In 1995 Dr. Frederick Reines was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his and Dr. Clyde L. Cowan’s . . . — Map (db m43146) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — The One Room Schoolhouse
Originally located in China Springs, near Aiken, and believed to have been built in the 1890's this schoolhouse was given to the Aiken County Historical Commission by Mrs. Guerin Hermann of Sandersville, Georgia in 1975. The one room schoolhouse preservation was an Aiken County Bicentennial project of the Aiken County Historical Commission and the Pine Needle Garden Club in 1976. Under the direction of Mrs. Arthur (Nancy N.) Courtney, chairperson on the Aiken County Historical Commission and . . . — Map (db m63475) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-1 — The S.C. Railroad
The tracks of the S.C. Railroad, operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Company, ran here from 1833 to the 1850s. The company, chartered in 1827, began constructing a 136-mile long line from Charleston to Hamburg (near North Augusta) in 1830. Completed in 1833, the railroad was the longest in America at the time and the first to carry the United States mails. Aiken, chartered in 1835, was named for William Aiken (1779-1831), the railroad’s first president. (Reverse text): The . . . — Map (db m36676) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Transit Of Venus Observatory Structure, 1882
Iron heliometer tower, which served as an observatory, and housing for instruments, including powerful telescopes, used in viewing the December 6, 1882 Transit of Venus in Aiken, South Carolina. The observatory was built in two sections, each twelve feet in diameter, so they could revolve independently of each other. These sections were covered with canvas. December 6, 1882 is the day the planet Venus was to have transited, or crossed between, the sun and the earth. Scientists had . . . — Map (db m10193) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-39 — Whitney Park
(Marker Front) This park, laid out in 1904-05 was named for William Collins Whitney (1841-1904). Whitney, a lawyer, Secretary of the Navy 1885-1889 under Grover Cleveland, and financier, was also an avid sportsman and leading member of the "Aiken Winter Colony." He established the Whitney Trust in 1901 "for the institution and promotion of all kinds of sports and pastimes in the City of Aiken, S.C." Private and public donations alike paid for Whitney Park. (Marker Reverse) . . . — Map (db m10210) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Woodmen Of The World
(West Face) This Memorial is erected in the memory of deceased members of the Woodmen of the World whose Individual resting places could not be marked (East Face) Woodmen of the World Regional Memorial (List of Names, Camp Numbers, States) Dum Tacet Clamat — Map (db m10270) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-41 — World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from November 1943 to May 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was at first a sub-camp of the POW camp at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon), in Augusta, Ga. It was later a sub-camp of Fort Jackson, in Columbia. 250 prisoners captured in North Africa were the first held here. Men captured in Italy and France in 1943-44 increased the total to 620 prisoners by January 1945. (Reverse text): German POWS lived in tents with wooden . . . — Map (db m36396) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-7 — Beech Island Agricultural Club
On January 5, 1856, Governor James H. Hammond and eleven other farmers of this area organized the Beech Island Agricultural Club for the diffusion of agricultural knowledge and the regulation of illegal slave traffic. Monthly meetings and barbecues have been held almost without interruption since the club's founding. (Reverse text): In 1883 E. Spann Hammond donated to the Beech Island Agricultural Club a four-acre circular tract of land located less than a mile north of this . . . — Map (db m10080) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–14 — Beech Island Baptist Church
This church was organized in the Beech Island Academy on January 21, 1832, with Rev. Iverson Brooks as its first minister and Mathias Ardis and Randolph Bradford as its first deacons. This sanctuary, built on land donated by James T. Gardner and Abner Whatley, with lumber, other materials, and carpenters donated by Dawson Atkinson, was dedicated in September 1832; the Sunday School was organized in 1839. (Reverse text) Charter members of Beech Island Baptist Church were . . . — Map (db m9992) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–18 — Downer Institute & School / Downer School, 1924–1986
Downer Institute & School Downer Institute, founded in 1843, was originally located 1.5 mi. NE of this site and operated until 1865. It was named for benefactor Alexander Downer (1752–1820), whose will established an orphanage and school at Beech Island. By 1898 the General Assembly, at the request of Aiken County citizens, reestablished Downer School for the community at large; the school reopened in 1899. Downer School, 1924–1986 Downer Elementary School, successor . . . — Map (db m9994) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-4 — Historic Church
This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827 with the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow Wilson, was baptized here. In 1950 the building was consecrated as All Saints Episcopal Church. — Map (db m9909) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — Redcliffe PlantationState Historic Site
About Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site Redcliffe Plantation was the home of James Henry Hammond (1807-1864) and three generations of his descendants. Hammond whose political career included terms as a United States Congressman, Governor of South Carolina and United States Senator, was perhaps best known during his lifetime as an outspoken defender of slavery. In an 1858 speech to the United States senate he coined the famous phrase "Cotton is King." Governor Hammond was a . . . — Map (db m9591) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-9 — Savannah Town / Fort Moore
Savannah Town Forerunner of modern towns and highways and known to the English as early as 1685, this Indian town stood at a major northwestern entrance into S.C. on the trading routes to the Creeks, Choctaws, Chickasaws, and Lower Cherokees. Both town and river were named for the Savannah Indians that lived in the area. Fort Moore Following the disastrous Yamasee War, Fort Moore, "the most important of South Carolina's early forts," was constructed here in 1716 to protect the . . . — Map (db m28101) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Clearwater — 2-15 — Storm Branch Baptist Church
(Front text) This church had its origins at or near this site in 1772 as a plantation chapel, in what was Edgefield District until after the Civil War. Revs. Iverson L. Brookes and John Trapp, prominent ministers in the Savannah River region, preached here from the 1830s into the 1860s; Brookes died in 1865. (Reverse text) Storm Branch Baptist Church became a wholly black church in August 1866 when Mrs. Sara Lamar, widow of planter Thomas G. Lamar, deeded this land to trustee . . . — Map (db m31141) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Eureka — 2-20 — Marie Cromer Seigler House
This house was for many years the home of Marie Cromer Seigler (1882-1964), educator and national pioneer in agricultural instruction. In 1910, as teacher and principal of Talatha School, she founded a Girls' Tomato Club, the first of many such clubs nationwide and a forerunner, along with the Boys' Corn Clubs, of the national 4-H Clubs, supported by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. (Reverse text): Marie Cromer said of her efforts to encourage girls and young women interested in . . . — Map (db m28714) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 200th Anniversary of the United States
1776       1976 In memory of the 200th Anniversary of the United States as an Independent Nation and American Patriots who fought for the freedoms we now enjoy Erected by the Towns of Graniteville, Vaucluse and Warrenville July 4th 1976 — Map (db m9852) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 2-30 — Graniteville Cemetery
(Front text) This cemetery, established about 1850, is closely associated with the Graniteville Mill, the largest and most successful textile mill in antebellum S.C. William Gregg (1800-1867), founder of the mill, laid out the mill village and also helped plan this cemetery. Most of the early wooden grave markers do not survive, and burial records were not kept until 1892, when the Graniteville Cemetery Assn. was founded. (Reverse text) William Gregg was . . . — Map (db m43153) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — 2-22 — Graniteville Mill
This mill, the largest textile mill in antebellum S.C., was chartered in 1845 and opened in 1847. It was founded by William Gregg (1800–1867), a Virginia native and advocate of industrial development who chose this site for its proximity to waterpower, granite deposits, and the S.C. Railroad. The company provided housing, a school, a store, and land for churches, creating a model mill village. Unlike most early textile mills, it was adequately funded. (Reverse text): . . . — Map (db m9763) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — Graniteville Train DerailmentJanuary 6, 2005
(Bottom of Center Panel): Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.                                         John 15:13 (Marker Left Panel): At 2:39 am on January 6, 2005 a northbound Norfolk Southern Railway freight train derailed after encountering an open switch and collided with a parked train on a siding track. 16 cars derailed, 1 chlorine car was breached releasing 160,000 pounds of chlorine gas.This resulted in 9 . . . — Map (db m10798) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — William Gregg
William Gregg, the founder of Graniteville. Born February 2, 1800, Died September 12, 1867 — Map (db m10237) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Graniteville — WW I Memorial
Erected to the Memory of those who served in the --World War-- -- 1917 - - - 1918 -- Valley Post 77 — Map (db m55745) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Hamburg — 2-3 — Hamburg[Missing as of 4 July 2004]
Situated between this point and the Savannah River, Hamburg was a thriving river port and trading center for cotton and tobacco. Founded in 1821 by Henry Schultz, incorporated December 19, 1827, Hamburg became the most important interior port in South Carolina. With changing times and fortunes, prosperous Hamburg declined. Only ruins remain. — Map (db m41892) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Hamburg — 2-2 — Western Terminus South Carolina Railroad
Near the foot of this bluff in the old town of Hamburg stood the western terminus of the S.C. Canal and Rail Road Co. Begun in 1830, it was the first steam operated railroad to offer regular passenger service and to carry U.S. mail. Completed in 1833 to this point 136 miles from Charleston, it was the world's longest railroad. — Map (db m27835) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Jackson — 2-21 — Silver Bluff Baptist Church
This church, one of the first black Baptist churches in America, grew out of regular worship services held as early as the 1750s at "Silver Bluff," the plantation of Indian trader George Galphin. At first a non-denominational congregation with both white and black members, it was formally organized as Silver Bluff Baptist Church in 1773 with Rev. David George as its first minister. (Reverse text): The church, dormant for a few years during the American Revolution, was revived . . . — Map (db m31610) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Jackson — 2-13 — Site of Ellenton
Post office est. here 1873. Town chartered 1880. Ellenton and surrounding area purchased by US Govt in early 1950s for establishment of Savannah River Plant. — Map (db m9910) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Montmorenci — 2–10 — Pascalis Plantation / Pascalina
Pascalis Plantation Elizabeth Pascalis purchased these 790 acres in 1835, settled here with her son Cyril Ouviere, and brought the orphaned children of her daughter, here, to live. Cyril, a civil engineer, was a resident engineer constructing the Charleston-Hamburg railroad (world’s longest when completed in 1833). In 1834 he helped lay out and survey streets in nearby Aiken. Pascalina Elizabeth Pascalis willed this house, once know as Pascalina, to her granddaughter, . . . — Map (db m9797) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), near Aiken — 2-48 — Camp Butler
This is the site of Camp Butler, a Confederate "camp of instruction" that operated from the spring to the fall of 1861, in what was then Barnwell District. New companies, organized as independent companies, or in state regiments, were sent here for training and organization into Confederate regiments before being transferred wherever the were needed. (Reverse side text) This camp was described in a letter to The Edgefield Advertiser as "the . . . — Map (db m63281) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), near Jackson — Savannah River Site
Fifty Years ago today, November 28, 1950, President Harry S.Truman announced that the Savannah River Plant would be built. This marker is dedicated to families who originally lived on this property and to the patriotic men and woman who have made possible the safe operations and successful missions of the Savannah River Site — Map (db m10001) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), New Ellenton — 2-27 — Savannah River Plant
The Savannah River Plant (SRP) was built 1950–56 by Du Pont for the Atomic Energy Commission. SRP, a nuclear production plant, produced tritium and plutonium for national defense during the Cold War. Creating a 310-sq.-mi. site in three counties meant moving all residents from their homes in Ellenton, Dunbarton, Meyers Mill, Leigh, and other area communities. (Reverse text) The first reactor at SRP went online in 1953 and the free “neutrino,” a subatomic . . . — Map (db m9941) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Grenada • Panama • Persian Gulf Tribute
Grenada Panama Persian Gulf The eyes of the world were upon you, the hopes and prayers of liberty loving people marched with you to stop unwarranted aggression and oppression of people. — Map (db m31507) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-17 — Hampton Terrace Hotel
The Hampton Terrace Hotel, an exclusive winter resort, stood atop this hill from 1903 to 1916. The $536,000, 5-story hotel boasted more than 300 rooms and was the dream of James U. Jackson (1856-1925), founder of North Augusta. A private railway connected the hotel to major railroads. This, and its reputation as one of the finest hotels in the South, made the Hampton Terrace a leading destination for winter visitors. (Reverse text): Guests enjoyed orchestra concerts in the . . . — Map (db m31103) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-5 — James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge / James U. Jackson ( 1856-1925)
James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge The first North Augusta bridge was built in 1891 by James U. Jackson. The present bridge, built in 1939, was formally dedicated as "The James U. Jackson Memorial Bridge." The building of the 1891 bridge, the Augusta-Aiken street car line, and the magnificent Hampton Terrace Hotel earned him the title "Founder of North Augusta." James U. Jackson (1856-1925) A native of Augusta, Georgia, he graduated from Richmond Academy and the University of . . . — Map (db m31662) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — James Urquhart Jackson
James Urquhart Jackson, founder of North Augusta, was born in the village of Harrisonville, near Augusta, Georgia, on June 24, 1856. It was his vision that shaped North Augusta's early years. In 1890 Jackson acquired 5600 acres of land across the river from Augusta in South Carolina. The following year, he constructed a bridge across the Savannah River at 13th Street. As the city developed, a trolley line was built in 1897 to connect Augusta and North Augusta. In 1902 Jackson . . . — Map (db m10050) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Korean War Tribute
Korea 1950 — 1953 Dedicated to the men and woman who bravely fought in "The Forgotten War". The first war to end the spread of communist tyranny throughout the world. — Map (db m31364) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Meriwether MonumentHero of the Hamburg Riot
(South face): Dec. 4,1852 - July 8, 1876 ——— In Memory of Thomas McKie Meriwether. Who on 8th July 1876, gave his life that the civilization builded by his fathers might be preserved for their childrens children unimpaired. (East face): In youths clad mourning the unfinished years of manhood stretching before him, with clear knowledge and courageous willingness, he accepted death and found forever the grateful remembrance of . . . — Map (db m10170) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Mexican War Tribute
Mexican War 1846 — 1848 Dedicated to the brave men of South Carolina who along with other Patriots willingly served that the Nation might expand its western horizons. Of these men who willingly volunteered to fight a war in a distant land at a time when travel was primitive and hazardous, it has truly been said, "the cowards never started and the weaklings never got there." — Map (db m30980) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-33 — North Augusta
North Augusta, chartered in 1906, includes the site of two early towns. Campbell Town was a trading post on the Savannah River before the American Revolution. Hamburg, founded in 1821 as a port on the river, was an early western terminus of the S.C. Rail Road. When the line was completed from Charleston to Hamburg in 1833, it was the longest railroad in the world. In 1890 James U. Jackson (1856–1925) founded the North Augusta Land Co. and bought 5,600 acres here. (Marker . . . — Map (db m9672) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Revolutionary War1775 — 1783
Our fight for Independence that assured us Freedom of Speech, Religion, the Press, Right to Peaceful Assembly and right to Petition for Redress of Grievances. We enjoy our present freedom because of the willingness of our forefathers to put their honor, their freedom, all their wordly possessions and their very lives on the line to bring for a new nation. — Map (db m30819) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2–11 — Samuel Hammond
Born 1757 in Virginia, this Indian fighter, who later moved to Edgefield District, attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel of state troops during the American Revolution. Among the engagements he participated in were: Hanging Rock, Musgrove’s Mill, King’s Mountain, Blackstock’s, Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, Siege of Augusta, and Eutaw Springs. Hammond served in the US Congress and after the Louisiana Purchase in (Marker Reverse): 1803, President Thomas Jefferson appointed . . . — Map (db m9800) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Spanish American War Tribute
Spanish American War 1898 The battle with the slogan "Remember the Maine", brought the United States as a great power and the beginning of overseas recognition. — Map (db m31208) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — 2-6 — The Martintown Road
In the 1730s, an Indian path from Fort Moore to the Saluda ridge was used by traders going to the Cherokee Nation. Later, a wagon road from Ninety Six to Augusta followed the same route. Named for the Martin family who lived beside it and served well the cause of the Revolution, it was widely used during that conflict by Patriots, Tories, and British. — Map (db m32320) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — Viet Nam War Tribute
Viet Nam War 1963 — 1975 This monument stands as a testimonial to the dedication, devotion and sacrifice of our men and women in the defense of freedom for the South Vietnamese people. — Map (db m31489) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — War Between The States Tribute
War Between The States 1861 — 1865 Let the stranger who may in future times read this inscription recognize that these were men whom power could not corrupt, whom death could not terrify, whom defeat could not dishonor, and let their virtues plead for just judgement of the cause in which they perished. Let the South Carolinian of another generation remember that the state taught them how to live and how to die, and that from her broken fortunes she . . . — Map (db m31127) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — War of 1812 Tribute
War of 1812 1812 — 1815 They bravely fought and willingly died for principles they knew to be right. — Map (db m30869) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — World War I Tribute
World War I 1914 — 1918 Dedicated to the men and women who served in the great war which was believed to be the final war of human liberty and the "war to end all wars". — Map (db m31243) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), North Augusta — World War II Tribute
World War II 1941 — 1945 Dedicated to the men and women who battled globally to secure a free world for all mankind. The massive production war effort caused many women to enter industry and changed the American lifestyle for all time. The efforts of both citizens and soldiers are appreciated. — Map (db m31269) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Perry — Commemorative Memorial( Perry S. C. )
Commemorative In Recognition of those of Perry serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and in memory of those who lost their lives. Erected Oct. 8, 1988 — Map (db m50340) WM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Salley — Capt. Dempsey Hammond Salley1838 - 1903
(Front) A patriot and Christian devoted to his country, his family and his god. He served his country well as a member of Hart's Battery and died loving the cause for which he fought. Dempsey Hammond Salley was the great, great grandson of one of the first settlers in the Orangeburg District with a land grant from King George II in 1735. He was the son of John Allen Salley and Ann Catherine Hartzog. The Capt. was born on his fathers . . . — Map (db m47645) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Salley — The Salley Family
( Front ) 1735 The Salley Family (Reverse) First settlement of the Salley Family in the Orangeburg District, 1735 Henry Salley 1690 - 1765 Martin Salley 1730 - 1795 Erected 1976 — Map (db m47717) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — The Crawfords Memorial
(Left) Herbert Boyd (H.B.) Crawford U.S. Navy Honorably Discharged April 8, 1946 During World War II with Japan his back was broken & both legs were paralyzed when his cargo ship was torpedoed (Right) Mabel Garvin Tarver Crawford U.S. Navy Honorably Discharged May 6, 1945 Presented the Exceptional Award By The National Security Agency At Washington, D.C. While on assignment to the United States Naval Intelligence OP-20-G; Rendered . . . — Map (db m56751) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — 2-43 — Wagener
Wagener, established after the Blackville, Alston, & Newberry RR built its line from Blackville to Seivern in 1887-88, was originally known as Guntersville or Gunter´s Crossroads. When incorporated in 1888 it was renamed for George A. Wagener (1846-1908), a Charleston merchant and president of the B. A. & N. RR. In 1891 the B. A. & N. merged with the Barnwell Railway to form Carolina Midland Railway, which would be absorbed by the Southern Railway in 1900. (Reverse text) George . . . — Map (db m67342) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — Wagener Memorial Monument
Front In Honor and Memory of Heroes of Wagener Past and Present Seals of: United States Army; United States Marine Corps; United States Navy; United States Air Force; United States Coast Guard; POW * MIA On Top Blue Star Memorial A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America Sponsored by Wagener Garden Club Reverse Seals of: Wagener Chief Police Department; District 16 Fire & Rescue; Medical; Wagener, SC Police . . . — Map (db m54850) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Wagener — Wagener Museum
Prior to 1887 the area now known as the Wagener Community was called Guntersville, and its residents were primarily engaged in agriculture, for their livelihood. The coming of the railroad, "The Swamp Rabbit", in 1887 drew farmers, timberjacks, and entrepreneurs into town and connected their society to other towns along the route. (Left text:) The principal motivation for the railroad, the kaolin industry, opened Wagener to the outside world. Timber could then . . . — Map (db m40428) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-28 — Jacksonville School / Jacksonville Lodge
Jacksonville School Jacksonville School, built by the Jacksonville Lodge in 1895, taught the black children of this community until 1936. Grades 1-7, with two teachers, met in two classrooms on the first floor, without electricity or running water. The Jacksonville Community Commission acquired and renovated the building in 1991-92. Jacksonville Lodge This building was constructed in 1895 by the Jacksonville Lodge, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, a black fraternal organization. . . . — Map (db m31175) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Warrenville — 2-34 — Jefferson High School / Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr.
Jefferson High School Jefferson High School opened in 1956 as a junior high and high school for African-American students of Beech Island, Belvedere, Graniteville, Jackson, Langley-Bath-Clearwater, and North Augusta, with Herman W.W. Fennell (1910-1996) as principal. After county schools desegregated in 1970 it became Jefferson Junior High School, and in 1980 it became Jefferson Elementary School. Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr. This was one of three African-American schools in Aiken . . . — Map (db m31675) HM
85 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 770 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.