HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Albany County Markers
New York (Albany County), Albany — 1624-1924
In commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding in 1624 of the first permanent settlement of Albany, then known as Fort Orange, near the site of Fort Nassau built in 1614 and abandoned in 1617. With the establishment of Rensselaerswyck in 1630, Fort Orange became the trading center of the colony and was called the Fuyck. Subsequently the name of the village was changed to Beverwyck, 1652 - Albany, 1664 - Willemstadt, 1673 - Albany, 1674 Erected b y the Albany . . . — Map (db m64993) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Tablet commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of Albany As a chartered city Settled about 1624: Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan: July 22 1606: State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797: Early Names Of The City: Fort Orange: Beverwyck: Wilemstadt: First City Hall Erected Near Fort Orange About 1686. Second One North East Coner Broadway and Hudson St. About 1705: Third One On This Site 1829: Burned 1880 Fourth On Present Building Erected 1883:           . . . — Map (db m5560) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington
By his faith in God and man he built our nation Erected in 1932 by the New York State Commission for the celebration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor Hon. Herbert H. Lehman, Lieutenant Governor Hon. Frank P. Graves, Commissioner of Education Charles J. Tobin, Chairman Albany, N.Y. Arthur H. Wicks, Vice - Chairman Kingston, N.Y. — Map (db m8126) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Academy Park
Established in 1882, a hill on the site required the removal of 10,000 loads of sand and clay filling a gully on the north side of Elk Street where present houses were built. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by Albany Tricentennial Committee 1986 — Map (db m64997) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years
In Honor of the 200th Anniversary of the 1797           City of Albany           1997 Serving as the Capital City of the State of New York For twenty years, after the establishment of the State of new York in 1777, the State Legislature moved annually among New York City, Poughkeepsie, Kingston and Albany for its meetings. As the upstate population grew, its elected representatives lobbied to establish a permanent state capital in a central . . . — Map (db m5540) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Pump Station
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr. 1874 Designated as an Albany Historic Site by Common Council Jan. 15, 1981 — Map (db m4190) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Birthplace of Modern Electricity
Here discovering magnetic induction, Joseph Henry pioneered the telegraph and electric motor, 1829 - 31 — Map (db m50211) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Bleecker Park
In 1835 the City appropriated $1,000 and citizens raised a fund to enclose it within an iron fence. A fountain, the first in the city, dedicated in 1863. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by Albany Tricentennial Committee 1986 — Map (db m65000) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — City Hall Carillon
Initiated by William Gorham Rice. Completed in 1927. Restored in 1986 celebrating Albany's Tricentennial of the Dongan Charter through the generous contributions of the citizens of Albany. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by Albany Tricentennial Committee 1986 — Map (db m64992) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Court of Appeals
Highest tribunal in New York State This building erected 1842 State Education Department 1940 — Map (db m64995) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Railroad
Near Here Mohawk and Hudson First Railroad Chartered in this County, 1826, Began its Run Albany to Schenectady. — Map (db m36635) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Fort Frederick Governor Edmund Andros Made an Inspection in Albany in 1676 and Found Fort Orange, Located Near the Foot of Madison Avenue in Poor Condition. He Ordered a New Fort Constructed at a Site in the Center of State Street Just West of Lodge Street. After Being Reconstructed Several Times, the Fort Was Removed Following the Revolution in 1784. — Map (db m5248) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
In the Middle of this Street To the East Stood Fort Frederick Goal of Burgoyne's Drive to Split the Colonies - 1777 — Map (db m5280) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
Facing The River On an Eminence in This Broad Street Opposite St Peters Church Stood Fort Frederick. Built About 1676, Removed 1789 Gallows Hill to the South Fort Burial Ground to the North. — Map (db m5405) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NY-21 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York During the Sesquicentennial of the American Revolution Map (db m23717) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Glenn Curtiss Flight
From This Ground Glenn Curtiss Began The First Long Distance Airplane Flight Albany To New York May 29, 1910. — Map (db m13308) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Herman Melville
Author of "Moby Dick" Studied and Worked During Formative Years in Albany 1830 - 1838. Family Home at 3 Clinton Square 1834-1838 — Map (db m32335) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Joseph HenryPathfinder in Science
Joseph Henry Pathfinder in Science Born in Albany 1797 Died in Washington 1878 [Left Panel]: I arranged around one of the upper rooms in the Albany Academy a wire of more than a mile in length throvgh which I was enabled to make signals by sounding a bell.                               Joseph Henry This experiment was made in 1838 while he was a teacher in the academy [Right Panel]: He discovered self induction and his contributions to . . . — Map (db m11749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Kilian Van Rensselaer
Kilian Van Rensselaer the Progenitor of the Van Rensselaer family in America. A merchant of Amsterdam Holland, the original proprietor and first patroon of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck, under a grant from the Dutch government in 1629. In following years he bought from the Indians lands lying on both sides of the Hudson from Baeren Island to Cohoes Falls and established settlement. Bicentennial Tablet 1886. — Map (db m64994) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — LaFayette Park
Named in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette who commanded troops at Albany in 1778. Returned here in 1784 on his way to Fort Schuyler was entertained by the State of New York and the City of Albany during his visits in 1824-1825. — Map (db m64999) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln in Albany
"I hold myself without mock modesty, the humblest of all individuals that have ever been elevated to the Presidency....You have generously tendered me the united support of the great Empire State." - Abraham Lincoln speaking to the New York Legislature on February 18, 1861. President-elect Abraham Lincoln was greeted by a large, boisterous crowd on February 18, 1861, as he stopped in Albany on his way to his inauguration in Washington, D.C. In his speech at the old State House, the . . . — Map (db m5191) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Mourned
"The face had an expression of absolute content, of relief, at throwing off a burden such as few men have been called upon to bear --- a burden which few men could have borne." - Recollections of New York Secretary of State Chauncey M. Depew. President Abraham Lincoln's funeral train arrived in Albany, N.Y. on April 25, 1865. Lincoln laid in state at the old State House where mourners passed by for about 12 hours the next day. It is estimated that 50,000 people stood in line to pay their . . . — Map (db m5192) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — New York State Office Building
New York State Office Building Cornerstone Laid By Gov. Alfred E. Smith, 1928. — Map (db m8024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NSDAR Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
The New York State Organization National Society Daughters of the American Revolution honors the courage and valor of more than 41,000 patriot troops in the line. The levies and the militia from New York Colony and State who left their homes and families and mustered to the sound of fife and drum supporting the cause of liberty in the American Revolution 1775-1783 This monument placed by The New York State Organization NSDAR September 2008 Gretta Archer, New York State Regent — Map (db m64998) WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997
When the USS Slater returned from Greece to dock at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City on August 27, 1993, the state of the ship was appalling. The first goal was to survey the condition of the ship and develop a plan of action. Based on its condition upon arrival, a restoration target date of June 1, 1945 was established. A survey was made of each compartment and all of the items necessary to restore the ship were listed. The corroded exterior, Greek alterations and nearly . . . — Map (db m49646) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 2 Albany 1997 - 2001
In 1997, the management at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum made the decision to downsize and the SLATER was asked to find a new home. The ship was towed to Albany and arrived on October 27, 1997 to a crowd of well wishers. Here, a new group of volunteers took over and built upon the work begun in Manhattan. Once the ship arrived in Albany, the most urgent need was to get it open to visitors as quickly as possible. A restoration philosophy was established which put bring the ship to an . . . — Map (db m49645) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present
The whole painstaking process of restoring the ship, acquiring the parts and installing the refurbished gear, has been driven by volunteers and would have never been possible without these dedicated individuals. The SLATER's wooden whale boat has been restored to pristine condition, one of the last operational examples of 26,000 such boats produced. The major accomplishment in 2007 was the acquisition and installation of the SL surface search radar equipment including the operator's console in . . . — Map (db m49644) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
1½ Miles Schuyler Mansion Home of General Philip Schuyler. Residence of Alexander Hamilton in 1781 and 1795. — Map (db m58880) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
. . . — Map (db m58881) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
The Schuyler Mansion Erected 1762 The Home of Major General Philip Schuyler of the American Revolution Patriot * Soldier * Statesman * 1733 1804* Acquired by the State of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated October 17, 1917 — Map (db m58882) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler MansionState Historic Site
Major General Philip Schuyler commanded the Northern Department of the Continental Army until August 1777. After the Battles of Saratoga, British General Burgoyne stayed here as a prisoner-guest. Revolutionary Heritage Trail — Map (db m58883) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of 1 Elk St.
Residence for NYS Governors Enos Throop - 1830-2, Washington Hunt - 1850-2, Horatio Seymour - 1852-4 and Mayor J. Stevenson - 1826-8 New York State Bar Association — Map (db m64996) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Main Entrance to Old CapitolErected 1806
Gen. Lafayette was received here 1824 The remains of President Lincoln and many other prominent men, lay in state here. The State Library was adjoining and with Capitol, demolished 1883. Fronting on this park stood Congress Hall, famous for its distinguished guests. Daniel Webster addressed citizens from its steps 1844 Bi-Centennial Tablet 1886 — Map (db m64990) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Martin Van Buren Residence
Martin Van Buren 1782 - 1862 resided at 92 State Street on this site while serving as 9th Governor of the State of New York 1828 - 1829 He is famed for his distinguished career as boy-lawyer, surrogate, judge, state senator, Attorney General, United States Senator, Governor Of New York State, Secretary of State under President Andrew Jackson, Vice-President and later 8th President Of the United States, 1837 - 1841 — Map (db m5439) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop
Site Of The New York Central Railroad erector shop where Engine 999 was built in 1893. '999' was the first creation of man in the history of time to Travel 100 Miles per Hour — Map (db m32251) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Battle of Henry Johnson
[Top Panel] The Battle of Henry Johnson First American Awarded Croix De Guerre with Gold Palm For Valor [Center Panel] In Memory of Sergeant Henry Lincoln Johnson Albany, New York for uncommon valor in combat against an armed enemy May 14th, 1918 while serving with Company C 369th Infantry Regiment part of U. S. Expeditionary Forces during World War I Assigned to the Fourth French Army Awarded the Croix De Guerre by France Dedicated this 11th day of . . . — Map (db m42675) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Erie Canal / Albany Basin
The Erie Canal. This site marks the east end of the canal, opened in 1825. It carried products and people between the Hudson River and Lake Erie Albany Basin. For nearly 100 years boats entered the Erie Canal at nearby Lock 1, bringing work, tradition and fame to the State’s capital. — Map (db m5174) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Four Immortal Chaplains
George L. Fox, Methodist minister Alexander D. Goode, Jewish Rabbi Clark V. Polling, Dutch Reformed Minister John P. Washington, Catholic Priest During the early morning hours of February 3, 1943 the USAT Dorchester was part of a convoy of six ships heading for Greenland when an enemy U-boat attacked, firing a torpedo into the ship's midsection. The Dorchester quickly began taking on water, and the order was given to abandon ship. Four Army chaplains worked to pass out life vests until all . . . — Map (db m64989) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Kings Highway
First road to Schenectady began near west gate of Albany Stockade P.B.H.P.P. — Map (db m64991) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — U.S.S. Slater(DE-766)
Time: The Second World War, 1942 During the “dark days” of 1940, after the German conquest of France and prior to the U.S. involvement in World War II, England stood alone against the threat of Nazi world domination. An island nation, England was totally dependent upon ships to bring here the food and supplies she needed to defend herself. The Nazis used their U-Boats to sink those ships in an attempt to strangle England by sea. The United States supplied England during . . . — Map (db m18188) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont
Incorporated as a village 1890. Officers; President Hiram Griggs; Trustees Smith Philley, Jesse Crounse. Henry A. Wilbur — Map (db m49530) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont High School
New York Site Of Altamont High School 1901 - 1954 Altamont High Alumni Association September 1995 — Map (db m66983) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Family Cemetery
Family Cemetery Of Early Pioneer Jurrian Severson Grave of John J. Vanaernam Ensign, Revolutionary War Born 1730 - Died 1814 — Map (db m44022) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Inn of George Severson
Old Schoharie Road Built at close of Revolution First Post Office of West Guilderland as this place was then called — Map (db m49847) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — John Groot
Farm and Burial Place John Groot Officer 3d Regiment Albany County Militia War of Revolution — Map (db m43885) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Old Plank Road
Schoharie to Albany Followed this Route Chartered 1849 Abandoned 1867 — Map (db m44861) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Severson House
Built by Early Settler Jurrian Severson Located on Map of West Manor Rensselaerswych, 1767 — Map (db m44897) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Ax Factory
Established by Daniel Simmons in 1825. Said to be the first factory in the United States to make axes from cast steel — Map (db m62839) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Cheese Factory
First in Town of Berne Built in 1878 and Made 495 Pounds in a Single Day — Map (db m57477) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — East Berne
Formerly Called Werner's Mills And Philadelphia — Map (db m50538) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Johannes Dietz
Near this spot in September 1781 Johannes Dietz and seven members of his family were massacred by Tories and Indians. — Map (db m30756) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Mill Site
For Carding and Fulling Mill Built at an Early Date by Malachi Whipple William H. Ball And Lyman Dwight — Map (db m57478) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Reformed Dutch Church
Organized 1763. First Pastor Johannes Schuyler 1767. Oldest Church in County outside of Albany — Map (db m50191) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Schools
In 1812 there were 21 school districts in Town of Berne and 30 the next year. In 1816 there were 1710 pupils in school — Map (db m62840) HM
New York (Albany County), City of Albany — The ElmsHome of Verplank Colvin
Surveyor of the Adirondack wilderness and state lands from 1872 to 1900. Champion of the N.Y. Forest Preserve — Map (db m15237) HM
New York (Albany County), City of Cohoes — Juncta
Junction of the Original Erie and Champlain Canals First Settlement and Name of Cohoes. Site of the First Post Office. — Map (db m6161) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — A Park Named Craner * Cohoes Recalls a HeroCohoes Remembers Vets Craner Park Cohoes, NY Saturday, May 20, 2006
Robert Craner was born in 1933 to Grace and Alfred Craner and grew up at 27 Church Street in the "Orchard" section of Cohoes. He graduated from the local Catholic Central High School in 1950 and enlisted in the Air Force at the age of 19. Craner decided he would be a pilot when he first flew at the age of 5. He found great satisfaction in military service and felt fortunate that he was able to pursue his life's ambition and love of flying. Craner worked his way up through the ranks, receiving . . . — Map (db m40821) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
Continental Army, Northern Department under command General Philip Schuyler General Horatio Gates Aug. 15 - Sept. 8, 1777 — Map (db m7665) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
Encampment of the Northern Department Continental Army August 9-September 8-1777 from this place August 9-1777 Gen. Ebenezer Learned with his Massachusetts Brigade marched to relieve Fort Stanwix — Map (db m7666) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes City Hall
Designed by Architect J.C. Holland and constructed in 1895, this Romanesque Revival building is the center of Cohoes Government. The limestone structure was the first building in the city constructed with public funds. — Map (db m40988) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Mastodon
Site of Cohoes Mastodon Found September 1866 Now in N. Y. State Museum — Map (db m40818) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Egberts & Bailey Mill
First building erected for the manufacture of knit goods by power in America, 1836. First power knitting machinery applied in Cohoes, 1832 — Map (db m11392) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
First Power Mill - for the - Manufacture of Knit Fabrics ———————— Erected in 1843, By Egberts & Bailey Inventors of the Power Knitting Machine in 1832. ·      ·      ·      ·      · Hand operated knitting machines were invented by Rev. William Lee of England in 1589 and were condemned by Queen Elizabeth and the British Parliament. Constant attempts to apply power to these machines failed until the . . . — Map (db m11350) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Horace B. SillimanHis Life and Legacy
Horace Brinsmade Silliman was born in 1825. He was educated in Albany Academy, graduated from Union College in 1846 ( a member of Phi Beta Kappa) and later received honorary degrees from Union and Hamilton Colleges. Silliman first became a druggist, opening a shop on Remsen Street in Cohoes. In 1849, Silliman and Stephen C. Miller established a newspaper, the Cohoes Cataract, for which Silliman was publisher until 1851. Silliman amassed a large fortune in the mill supplies business . . . — Map (db m41361) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Misty 17
"Misty" was the call sign used by the F-110F Fast Forward Air Controllers (Fast Fac's) during the Vietnam War. There were 155 pilots officially assigned to fly missions over North Vietnam from June 15, 1967 to May 19, 1970. 21 other attached pilots flew occasional missions. There were also Intelligence Officers, Flight Surgeons, and Maintenance Officers assigned. It was a small, tight knit group of people given a difficult task in a terrible war. Misty began with 16 pilots and four aircraft . . . — Map (db m40826) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.
Sightseeing Dutch visitors left the first written accounts of the Great Falls of the Mohawk River at Cohoes during the 1640s. Generations of sightseers, poets, and artists followed to look at the falls, hear their roar, and feel the spray. The Cataract House opened above Cohoes Falls in 1860. Rebuilt and enlarged after a fire, it was operated by William Gwynn from 1867 until 1912. It burned to the ground soon after that. Cataract House, Cohoes Falls. N. Y. The Attractions. . . . — Map (db m11612) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Cohoes Mastodont
The Cohoes Mastodont was discovered during the excavation for Harmony Mill #3 in 1866. The mill is sometimes referred to as the "Mastodon Mill" for this reason. When all the bones were recovered, they were kept at the Harmony Mills Office on exhibit, where they were seen by hundreds of people. The discovery was a nationwide sensation, generating considerable press coverage and controversy. In 1867, the skeleton was transferred to state ownership and exhibited in the State Cabinet of Natural . . . — Map (db m41622) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Erie CanalPower Canal Park | Cohoes NY
The Erie Canal flowed through Cohoes along two distinct paths during the 19th century. The first phase, 1825-1841, is commonly referred to as "Clinton's Ditch" after New York Governor DeWitt Clinton, who was the foremost advocate for construction of the canal. This canal flowed through the site on which you are standing. From 1842 to early 20th century, the enlarged Erie Canal flowed along a route slightly to the west of this site (uphill from where you are standing). The Erie Canal traversed . . . — Map (db m42224) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Matton Shipyard
The Matton Shipyard John E. Matton built his shipyard here on Van Schaick Island in 1916, shortly after the new Barge Canal opened. Besides building barges and tugboats, the shipyard serviced and repaired the boats that travelled both the Erie and Champlain canals. During World War II, the shipyard worked round-the-clock building submarine chasers for the Navy and tugboats for the Army. The fenced-in configuration of the shipyard today reflects those hectic years. The Mattons . . . — Map (db m48282) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Burial Plot
First Settlers of Cohoes And Owners of Half Moon Patent Buried Here — Map (db m7249) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Island
Military encampment   1777 Here, in the days leading up to the Battles of Saratoga, 5,000 – 8,000 Continental soldiers were garrisoned. — Map (db m37454) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
1735 - 1927 Van Schaick Mansion Home Of John G. Van Schaick and his Wife Anna Patriot Americans Built by Anthony Van Schaick Son of Goosen Gerritsen original patentee Headquarters August 18-September 8-1777 Northern Department Continental Army General Philip Schuyler General Horatio Gates Here was planned the Saratoga Campaign And here August 19-1777 General Gates assumed command From this place August 15-1777 General Benedict Arnold and his force . . . — Map (db m7250) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
In 1777, this mansion was the headquarters for the Northern Department of the Continental Army, and the site where the victorious Saratoga Campaign was planned. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m37455) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick MansionRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
The plans for the Battle of Saratoga were drawn up in this house in the summer of 1777, when the American Army was headquartered here. That April General Philip Schuyler and 5,000 troops retreated from Fort Edward in advance of Burgoyne’s superior forces. They camped in the fields surrounding the Van Schaick Mansion, with additional encampments built on Peebles Island to the north. From August 22-25, the house served as the New York State Capitol while Governor George Clinton and the American . . . — Map (db m37457) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Boght Church
Site of the Reformed Dutch Church of the Boght 1st Church North of Albany Organized by the Classis Of Albany, Feb. 22, 1784 — Map (db m24730) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Dalessondro Boulevard
In December of 1944, near Kalterherberg, Germany Technical Sergeant Peter J. Dalessondro of the 9th Infantry Division, at great personal risk, intrepidly fought against overwhelming enemy attack to save his company from defeat. His singlehanded efforts earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor. Captured by the Germans and imprisoned for six months, Sgt. Dalessondro returned to the Capitol District a hero and continued to serve his county and community as a six term member of the New York State Senate. — Map (db m21881) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — NY-19 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York During the Sesquicentennial of the American Revolution Map (db m23749) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Loudoun Ferry Road
1755 Constructed as Military Road from Albany to Lake George by Provincial Troops from New York, New England and New Jersey under command of Major General William Johnson ——— Named in honor of Major General John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. Commander in Chief of His Majesty's Forces in America, French and Indian War ——— 1776 General Henry Knox's Train of Artillery crossed here to aid General George Washington in the . . . — Map (db m24514) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Maplewood Historic Park
Site of Erie Canal lock & former Weighlock Bldg.1850-1915 located near "The Juncta" of old Erie and Champlain Canals — Map (db m40996) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Cemetery
First burials occurred on this historic site in 1787- Mother Ann Lee and early leaders reburied here later — Map (db m41150) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Church Family Barn
Built in 1916 on the site of the original barn which had been destroyed by fire — Map (db m40593) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Boght
The Boght Settled On and After 1704 By The Vischer Weaver Witbeck Lansing Powell Runkle Dunsbach Lieverse Staats Roff Godfrey Van O Linde Groesbeck Van Vranken Fero Van De Mark Van Denburgh Johnson Pollock Storms Fonda and Clute Families The Boght was part of the Van O Linde Grant of Land Given by the Mohawk Indinans 1667 to Hilletje Van Olinde Interpertress Of the Province The Highway In Front Is The Old Manor Road Northern Boundary Line of The . . . — Map (db m24731) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Erie Canal
For nearly a century, canal boats were pulled by mules and horse over this portion of New York State's famed Erie Canal. One of the slowest and most crowded parts of the waterway started to the north of the Flatts at Maplewood. Here Began the Tortuous series of 21 locks that raised the canal up to the Mohawk Valley and around the 70 foot cliffs of the Cohoes Falls. Situated between this traffic to the north and Albany's busy lumber district to the south, the stretch of the Erie Canal through . . . — Map (db m14742) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Weighlock Building1850-1915
This Greek-revival building was one of several weigh stations along the Canal used to levy the tolls for barges carrying merchandise and farm goods. Until 1850 freight cargoes were measured by the displacement theory, but this hydraulic type worked with scales rather than displacement. After a boat entered the lock and came to rest on a wooden cradle, certain rods transferred the weight along a series of levers to the beam of the scales inside the Weighlock building. The Weigh Master moved . . . — Map (db m40999) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Anti-Rent Riots
More Leased Land in Berne than any other Town in Albany County Led to Serious Outbreaks After 1840 — Map (db m50489) HM
New York (Albany County), Glenmont — This is the Capital DistrictHistoric New York
          The Capital District has long been important as a trading post, military objective and governmental center. Located near the juncture of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, Albany has been the “crossroads” of the northeast since colonial times. The Albany Congress of 1754 was the first major attempt to unite the thirteen original colonies. The area’s strategic importance was proven by the successive attempts of the French and English to capture it during the colonial and . . . — Map (db m56854) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Battle of Normanskill
Fought north of the creek Schenectady Militia with 40 Rhode Island troops dispersed large group of Tories on August 11, 1777 — Map (db m49379) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Captain Jacob Van Aernam
Captain Jacob Van Aernam 1732 - 1813 Revolutionary hero buried here Courageous always he fought for his beloved Country's independence — Map (db m44031) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Dr F. Crounse
Built this house, 1833 First physician at West Guilderland (Altamont) Practiced here sixty years — Map (db m49844) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Farm of Evert Bancker
Third Mayor of Albany, 1695 Indian Commissioner, 1696 Master Chancery, 1705 Died Here, 1734 — Map (db m50126) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Lutheran Church
On this spot stood the First Lutheran Church in Town of Guilderland 1787. Rev. Heinrich Moeller first regular pastor — Map (db m48961) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Meeting
of Town of Guilderland held April 5, 1803 in this house at that time a tavern conducted by Hendrick Apple — Map (db m49845) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Frederick Crounse
Farm of Frederick Crounse Officer 3D Albany Co. Militia in Revolution. Carried food to Army Battle of Saratoga. Buried Here — Map (db m48377) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — French's Hollow
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks of Peter K. Broeck 1795; Factory of Abel French and Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800 — Map (db m65413) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — George Wagner
Home of George Wagner Lieutenant in the American Revolution — Map (db m63346) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Glass Works
Begun 1785 by Leonard De Neuville. Known as Albany Glass House, later Hamilton Glass Wks. Made bottles & window glass. Closed 1815 — Map (db m50620) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Hamilton Glass House
Near this Spot Stood the Hamilton Glass House Named for Alexander Hamilton Known also as Albany Glass Works Founded about 1786 Abandoned 1815 This Marker Placed by Tawasentha Chapter D.A.R and The State of New York 1927 — Map (db m45518) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Inn of Jacob Crounse
Built 1833. Midway tavern where horses were changed on Schoharie-Albany Stage Coach Route — Map (db m49512) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Jacob Van Aernam
Jacob Van Aernam 1723 - 1813 Capt. 3rd Albany Regiment Leader of Patriot forces in the Helderberg region during American Revolution Lived on farm here — Map (db m44020) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Knower House
Est. as hat factory about 1800 by Benjamin Knower Gov. William L. Marcy Married Cornelia Knower in this house — Map (db m49446) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Locust Vale School
Locust Vale School New Scotland School District No. 11. Built about 1827 and closed 1939. Moved to Meadowdale from Tygert Road During the 1940's. — Map (db m48608) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Palatine Road
c. 1712 First Road West By German Refugees To Schoharie Valley — Map (db m49555) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Schoolcraft House
Built Circa 1840 By John L. Schoolcraft U.S. Congressman 1848-1852 Albany Banker and Whig Leader Delegate to the 1860 National Convention — Map (db m65410) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Wildehausen
Site of an Indian Village Nearby Stream Called Wildehausekill or "Indian House Creek" — Map (db m66751) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — Freeman House
Said to have been erected 1734 later the home of Barent Mynderse, Lieut. in War of Revolution — Map (db m49721) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — House Built 1802
By Nicholas V. Mynderse sold to Michael Frederick who ran it as a tavern for many years — Map (db m49720) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Dutch Barn
Built Circa 1800 For Palatine German Settler Jacob Sholtes 1761-1852 By Grandson Jacob 1817-1891 — Map (db m62841) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knieskem Farm
Settled by Hendrick Knieskem about 1750 — Map (db m54208) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knox School #5
Knox School District #5 was formed in 1822. This school was built in 1898, restored by Kiwanis, & placed on the National Register in 2005. — Map (db m52395) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knoxville Academy
Incorporated 1837 Chartered Regents 1842-1869 Faced Military Training Ground 1776 — Map (db m58862) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Sand Farm
Sand Farm Settled by Christian Zandt in 1787 — Map (db m57937) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Town of Knox
Established Feb. 22, 1822 Formed from Town of Berne Pillbox capital 1806-1906 First Town Supervisor was Malachi Whipple — Map (db m49450) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Whipple Farm
Settled by Malachi Whipple of Conn. about 1793. In 1820 farm won premium as model farm in Albany County — Map (db m49447) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — NY-20 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the Winter of 1775 - 1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected By The State of New York during the Sesquicentennial of the American Revolution Map (db m23447) HM
New York (Albany County), Menands — Historic Albany Rural CemeteryEst. 1841
Burial site of Pres. Arthur, governors, statesmen and private citizens. Noted for it’s natural beauty, sculptures & architecture. — Map (db m37463) HM
New York (Albany County), Menands — Saint Agnes CemeteryMedal of Honor Recipient Burial Place
Saint Agnes Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2008 — Map (db m62357) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — Bender Melons
Home of Bender Melons Famed "Benders" developed by Charles Bender in 1900 on this New Scotland Farm sold throughout U.S. — Map (db m48606) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Andrew Conning
Nearby is Burial Site of Andrew Conning, 3rd Regt. Albany County Militia Under Capt. Vanderheyden The American Revolution Placed by Tawasetha Chapter NSDAR Map (db m44963) HM
New York (Albany County), Town of New Scotland — Site of the Battle of Clarksville
On Dec.3, 1839, during the Anti-Rent Wars, Sheriff Artcher and his posse marched from Albany to Clarksville. They met their first resistance here. — Map (db m50488) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — First P.O. 1868
Site of First P.O. 1868 Established in Reid's General Store, Farm of James Reid Town's First Supervisor — Map (db m48607) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Helderbergs
The name means clear mountains. They have been called "the key to the geology of North America" — Map (db m54688) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Methodism
Methodism Here built its first church in this entire area. Known as Bethlehem, North or Black Creek Church, 1823 — Map (db m48671) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Indian Ladder Trail
The Indian Ladder Trail runs along the base of the cliff and was historically called the "Lower Bear Path." Here, you are halfway down the limestone cliff, where the Coeymans formation above meets the Manlius below. At the top of the Manlius is a soft layer of limestone that has eroded, forming a ledge in the cliff face. This indent in the cliff has been call the "Upper Bear Path." The soft layer is a limestone mudrock that is fine-grained and valued as a source of cement. Limestone is mined in . . . — Map (db m43845) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Tory Cave
Caves are formed when limestone is dissolved by flowing water. In the ceiling at the back of the cave you can see a large, natural chimney where water has seeped into the rock from above. As limestone dissolves, calcite is deposited to from flowstone, seen inside the chimney. Flowstone formations, known as stalactites and stalagmites, are created slowly over hundreds of years. Unfortunately, early cave explorers removed most of these formations. In vain they search! From out a hidden . . . — Map (db m12728) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Tory Cave 1777
Jacob Salsbury, a spy during Burgoyne Invasion, found refuge from settlers in a cave against the cliffs nearby. — Map (db m58550) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — City of Watervliet
The land now occupied by the City of Watervliet is part of a tract purchased by the first Patroon, Kiliaen van Rensselaer in 1630 from the Mohican or River Indians. The tract was within a large area on the west side of the Hudson River named Wely's Dael, in honor of the Patroon's wife Anna van Wely. Arendt van Curler, a tenant of the Patroon, began to cultivate the land in 1643. The farm area was later sold by Richard van Rensselaer to Philip Pieterse Schuyler and Bastiaen de Winter. Prominent . . . — Map (db m58228) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Civil War Parrott Rifle
10 Pounder Rifle From Watervliet Arsenal Designed By Robert P. Parrott and Cast at The West Point Foundry. Used by the Union Forces These Guns were Mounted on Carriages Made at Watervliet Arsenal Where Ammunition was also Made. This Is One of Four Parrott Rifles Excavated At the Site of Interstate 787. — Map (db m7299) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Erie Canal
Completed 1825 Terminus at Hudson River. Locks called Sidecut allowed entry to navigable waters — Map (db m12214) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Mayor James F. Cavanaugh1910 - 1973
Served the City of Watervliet from 1967 to 1973. Throughout his years of service he accomplished a great deal for Watervliet, including renovations at City Hall and police headquarters, construction of a new firehouse, the opening of the northern section of I-787 and improvements to the Youth and Senior Citizens centers. Mayor Cavanaugh was president of the Watervliet Civic Chest Executive Board, a scoutmaster and district commissioner for the Boy Scouts of America and was praised for his . . . — Map (db m47983) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Meneely Foundry
Meneely Foundry 1826 - 1950 First Chime & Carillon in U.S. Cast Here Foremost Bell Maker Patented Rotary Yoke And Casting Procedures. — Map (db m40322) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Peter J. DalessandroCongressional Medal of Honor
Peter J. Dalessandro Congressional Medal of Honor Technical Sergeant, US Army, Company E. 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division Sergeant DAlessandro was born May 19, 1918. Entered service at: Watervliet, N.Y. Presented the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman on June 25, 1945 Sergeant DAlessandro was with the 1st Platoon holding an important road junction near Kalterherbery, Germany when on December 22, 1944, in the early morning hours, the enemy began . . . — Map (db m46446) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Saint Patrick's Church Bell
The most obvious music associated with any church is the sweet and dignified tolling of the church bell. Pictured above is George E. Hipwod, President of the Holy Names Society who presented the bell for placement in the new church. The bell was manufactured by the Meneely Bell foundry of Watervliet for the former Saint Patrick's Church in 1906. They were the master bell maker at the time. Perched in the tower at an altitude of 125 feet, the bell could be heard throughout the city. Its sweet . . . — Map (db m70628) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — The Nalle Rescue
The Nalle Rescue April 27, 1860 Near this site on Broadway, Charles Nalle, a fugitive slave from Culpepper, Virginia, was rescued from slave catchers by Harriet Tubman and citizens of Troy and West Troy (Watervliet), completing an epic struggle begun in Troy. — Map (db m42015) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — U.S. Army 3 Inch M5 Antitank Gun
The 3 inch antitank gun was deployed during WWII. Hundreds of these guns were used by American troops in Europe and the Pacific during the war. Range: 16,100 yards max. 1,000 yards antitank range. The U.S. 1st Army and 3rd Army in Europe had over 300 of these antitank guns in used during World War II. Between D-Day and V-E Day over 400,000 rounds were fired by M5 antitank guns in battle in the European Theater of Operations. All M5 gun barrels were manufactured at the Watervliet Arsenal. — Map (db m49148) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Watervliet Arsenal
Oldest, Continuously Active Manufacturing Arsenal in U.S. Founded in 1813. — Map (db m49297) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Anti-Rent War
Events in the quarrel of tenants with Lord of the Van Rensselaer Manor occurred in this region in 1840 and later — Map (db m50490) HM
136 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 482 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.