|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-3 — Antioch Christian Church|
Organized in 1833 by Dr. and Mrs.
W.R. Erwin and Mrs. U.M. Robert,
this was the second Christian
Church (Disciples Of Christ)
founded in South Carolina.
Dr. J.D. Erwin, II, served
as minister for forty years.
The present building was used
as a court house in 1865. — Map (db m19635) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-2 — Beech Branch Baptist Church|
Constituted September 12, 1759
as Coosawhatchie Church, this
church became in 1882 Beech
Branch Baptist Church. The
present lot was granted in 1796
and occupied by 1815. The building
was remodeled in 1908 and in 1960,
electricity having been installed and
the porch added in 1959, when
weekly morning services began.
The annex was built in 1962. — Map (db m15466) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-14 — Happy Home Baptist Church|
| (Front text)
This church, founded soon after the Civil War, held its first services in a brush arbor in the Woods community of what was then Barnwell County. It built its first permanent church, a frame building, in the Zion Branch community near Old Allendale, and adopted the name Zion Branch Baptist Church. The church bought this site in 1875, built a new frame sanctuary here, and was renamed Happy Home Baptist Church. |
Rev. Jacob S. Daniels served the . . . — Map (db m49489) HM
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-7 — Old Allendale|
Original site of Allendale, named
for its first postmaster, Paul Allen,
in 1849. Sherman's troops under
Gen. Kilpatrick camped here.
Town moved to present site by
1873. — Map (db m15914) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-1 — Smyrna Baptist Church|
|Organized in 1827 as Kirkland Church, the name was changed in 1836 to Smyrna Baptist Church. Title to the site was conveyed in 1849 by William I. Mixon.
Additional land was given by Thomas H. Willingham in 1882 to extend the church property to the Matthew's Bluff Road. — Map (db m15581) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Allendale — 3-5 — Town of Allendale|
In 1810, pursuant to an Act of the South Carolina General Assembly, the state conveyed a 1000 acre landgrant signed by governor John Drayton to Benjamin and G. Washington Allen. The acreage included the present town of Allendale, which is presumed to have derived its name from the Allen family.
(Reverse) Allendale post office was established here July 11, 1849; Paul H. Allen was the first postmaster. By 1873 the Port Royal Railroad had completed a line through . . . — Map (db m6537) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — Allendale County War Memorial|
Dedicated June 1954
to the memory of
brave men, who died
that their country
might live — Map (db m16900) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-4 — Bethlehem Church|
|This Baptist Church, organized by 1854, built its first house of worship near here on land purchased in 1859 from A.R. Stokes. The congregation obtained the land for its present location in 1910 from G.D. Sanders and completed by 1914. In 1944 the name was changed to the First Baptist Church. — Map (db m9960) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-11 — Fairfax|
Fairfax, chartered in 1893 and
incorporated in 1896, grew out of
an early community centered around
Owens' Crossroads, where a store
was established in 1814, and later
including Bethlehem Baptist Church
( now First Baptist Church ), founded
in 1852. When Port Royal RR was
completed through this area in 1873
a depot and post office were built
1½ mi. E and named Cambellton
By 1881 W.J. and J.F. Sanders ran a
store and post office . . . — Map (db m7082) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-8 — Harmony Baptist Church|
|This church had its origins in a brush arbor as early as 1830 but was formally organized in 1878 with Rev. H. C. Smart as its first pastor and W. H. Cone and R. H. Mixon as its first deacons. Named Harmony Baptist Church by charter member Sarah Gooding, it affiliated with the Savannah River Association. This sanctuary, on land donated by Josiah Loadholt, was built in 1880. — Map (db m25859) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Martin — Concord Baptist Church|
1855 — 1948 — Map (db m31543) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Millett — 3-13 — Speedwell Methodist Church|
|(Front text) This church, founded in 1885, was named Speedwell for a stagecoach stop and the first post office in the vicinity, now Millett. In 1884-85 Ogreta Brabham Dunbar and Savannah Barker Bates raised funds for a new congregation, in what was then Barnwell County. In 1885 Mary Dunbar Lafitte and her husband John H. Lafitte donated a five-acre tract here for the church.
The first church on this site, built about 1885, was replaced by the present church, . . . — Map (db m37789) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-12 — Barker's Mill / Skirmish at Barker's Mill|
|(Barker's Mill side of marker):
Barker's Mill, which stood here on
Jackson Branch, was a grist mill
owned by William Ransome Barker
(1816-1869), a planter in what was
then Barnwell District. Barker moved
to this are in the 1850s,built a house
about 2 mi. N. and established
a cotton plantation of 2,000~3,000
acres which he named "Sycamore."
The town of Sycamore, chartered in
1891, was named for the plantation.
(Skirmish at Barker's Mill side of marker):
On . . . — Map (db m7176) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-10 — Bethel Baptist Church|
|(Front Text )
This church was organized in 1851 by Revs.
Lewis Parker and John Hoover, with twelve
charter members and Rev. Hoover as its
first minister. The congregation has
worshipped on this site, on land donated
by Mathias Mathis, since it was organized.
It first met under a brush arbor, then in a
log church built in 1852. The second
sanctuary here, a frame church, was built
( Reverse Text )
The present sanctuary here, built in 1949,
is attached . . . — Map (db m7771) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-9 — Old St. Nicholas Cemetery|
|The original cemetery associated with St.
Nicholas Lutheran Church is 1/3 mile S off
SC Hwy 641. The church, originally located
nearby, was founded about 1804 in what was
then Barnwell District, and the cemetery
includes family plots of the Platts, Harter,
and other area families. The present St.
Nicholas Lutheran Church, 2 mi. S, was
built in 1910. — Map (db m7855) HM|
|South Carolina (Allendale County), Sycamore — 3-6 — St. Nicholas Church|
Lutheran church, org. by 1804, has occupied
several sites. Today's structure, built in 1910,
incorporates material from the 1884 church and
stands about 2 mi south. — Map (db m7842) HM|