HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Amherst County Markers
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R 61 — Action at Tye River
On 11 June 1864, about 800 yards east, the Botetourt Battery prevented the destruction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad bridge across the Tye River. This bridge was an important part of the Confederate railroad network for the movement of troops and supplies throughout Virginia. Confederate pickets of the Botetourt Battery, deployed as infantry and commanded by Capt. Henry C. Douthat, kept the Federal cavalry from destroying the bridge. This enabled Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early and the 2d Corps . . . — Map (db m10227) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — Amherst County Confederate Soldiers Monument
Confederate Soldiers 1861 - 1865 To the memory of The Sons of Amherst County who from 1861 to 1865 upheld in arms the cause of Virginia and the South, who fell in battle or died from wounds, and survivors of the war who as long as they lived were ever proud that they had done their part in the noble cause. — Map (db m67324) WM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-22 — James River Batteau
Near here lived Anthony and Benjamin Rucker, inventors of the James River batteau, which superseded the double dugout canoe and rolling road for transporting tobacco hogsheads. These long (about 50 or 60 feet), double-ended vessels dominated the commercial traffic on the James River and other Southern upland waterways between the 1770s and 1840s. A dispute arose in 1821 when the Rucker brothers’ heirs sought to patent the design. A letter from Thomas Jefferson testifying to his . . . — Map (db m46342) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Amherst — R-21 — Rucker’s Chapel
Nearby stood Rucker’s Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew’s, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on part of a 5,850-acre tract his father, John Rucker, patented In 1745. The church served Its congregation until 1847, when the members moved to Ascension Church, in Amherst. Logs from the chapel were later used to construct a corn- crib at Sweet Briar College, two miles north. — Map (db m46350) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — Z-138 — Amherst County / Rockbridge CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 616 Square Miles
Amherst County. Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Rockbridge County. Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and named for the Natural Bridge. Samuel Houston and Cyrus H. McCormick were born in this county. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson are buried in Lexington. Washington and Lee University are the Virginia Military Institute are there. — Map (db m49888) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Buena Vista — R-59 — Constitution Forest
In 1938, the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the United States Constitution, the Virginia Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored the planting of Constitution Forest in this area. With the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the United States Forest Service, the memorial forest commemorates the Virginia framers of the Constitution. In 1987, the 45 acres of red and white pine seedlings have matured to a forest that provides protection for birds and other wildlife as well as for the watershed of the James River. — Map (db m49885) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Clifford — R-60 — Grave of Patrick Henry’s Mother
In the grove of trees some hundreds of yards to the west is the grave of Sarah Winston (Henry), mother of Patrick Henry, who died in November, 1784. — Map (db m41616) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Glasgow — 19-Z — Amherst County/Rockbridge CountyArea 470 Square Miles/Area 616 Square Miles
Amherst County: Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Rockbridge County: Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and named for the Natural Bridge. Samuel Houston and Cyrus H. McCormick were born in this county. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson are buried in Lexington. Washington and Lee University are the Virginia Military Institute are there. — Map (db m65461) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Glasgow — Z-119 — The Courage Of Frank Padget
Heavy rains early in 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls, south of this site, in full flood. On 21 January the towrope of the canal boat, Clinton, snapped. Washed over the Mountain Dam and through successive falls, its passengers became stranded in the raging waters. Braving the dangerous river, Frank Padgett, an enslaved boatman, skillfully led a crew of five rescuers who successfully saved dozens of the stranded passengers. While he was attempting to rescue the last . . . — Map (db m66946) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Z-17 — Amherst County / Campbell CountyArea 470 Square Miles / Area 557 Square Miles
  Amherst County. Formed in 1761 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county. Campbell County. Formed in 1781 from Bedford, and named for General William Campbell, hero of the Battle of King’s Mountain, 1780. Tarleton passed through the county in 1781. The Union General Hunter was defeated near Lynchburg, 1864. — Map (db m46431) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — K-148 — Buffalo Lick Plantation
Patented in 1742 by John Bolling, Jr., the 2,735-acre Buffalo Lick Plantation tract along the James River includes three notable historic sites. One mile southeast stand the ruins of Mount Athos, the home of William J. Lewis, an officer in the American Revolution and member of Congress (1817-1819). The house burned in 1876. The Southside Railroad constructed the Six Mile Bridge here six miles east of Lynchburg in 1854. Confederate Fort Riverview was built nearby during the Civil War to . . . — Map (db m46354) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — I-5 — Central Virginia Training Center
Established in 1910 as the Virginia State Epileptic Colony, the center admitted its first patients in May 1911. The facility originally served persons with epilepsy and began accepting individuals with mental retardation in 1913. Due to the new national emphasis in the mid-1950s on mental retardation, a number of new training and developmental programs for individuals with mental retardation were developed here. The facility has undergone several name changes, and became known as the . . . — Map (db m46394) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — R-4 — Lynchburg Defenses
During the Civil War, a line of trenches and fortified artillery positions extending past here were built late in 1863 to defend Lynchburg against attack from the north. Brig. Gen. Francis T. Nicholls was responsible for ensuring that the local militia, invalids, and convalescents properly manned the fortifications. On 12 June 1864, Nicholls ordered the local militia and invalids into these lines to repel a possible advance by Federal cavalry commanded by Brig. Gen. Alfred Duffle, . . . — Map (db m46352) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Williams Viaduct
This bridge was erected by Norfolk & Western Railway Co., Chesepeake & Ohio Railway Co., Southern Railway Co., City of Lynchburg, Va. Begun 1916. Completed 1918. Bridge Commissioners Ernest Williams, Chairman; William King, Jr.; John P. Pettyjohn. — Map (db m46534) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Sweet Briar — R-20 — Sweet Briar CollegeChartered 1901
This liberal arts college for women, opened in 1906, granted its first Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1910. Estbalished under the will of Indiana Fletcher Williams as a memorial to her only daughter, Daisy, the college is located on a 2800-acre tract of land acquired by Elijah Fletched before 1830. The eighteenth century homestead, remodeled and named “Sweet Briar House” by the Fletchers, is set in a boxwood garden. AMHERST COUNTY: 2 MILES SOUTH OF AMHERST — U. S. RT 29 Map (db m46318) HM
15 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 141 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.