|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — "Old Reformer" Cannon ca. 1764|
The history of the brass cannon reflects the history of the Upstate of South Carolina during some of its most critical eras of conflict and change. The "Old Reformer" is also one of the oldest artifacts in the Upstate, since it arrived here before the town of Anderson Court House or the County existed. The artillery arrived in the Upstate in 1814, when the cannon was transported from Charleston to the Upstate to protect the settlers during the War of 1812. The cannon was thought to have been . . . — Map (db m42194) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — A Living Tribute|
|This area planted in appreciation of
Mr. & Mrs. Wilton E. Hall
who since April 7, 1955 have contributed the facilities of radio stations WAIM & WCAC-FM to carry the ministry of this class to many thousands of people each Sunday morning.
Mr. Hall was ordained a deacon in 1945 and Mrs. Hall served for twenty years as president of the Brock Philathea Class. — Map (db m65189) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Abney Athletic Center|
|This building was made possible by the
generous support of
The Abney Foundation
John R. Fulp, Jr.
It will forever serve as a tribute to the dedication and work of the many thousands of men and women who are a part of the textile industry throughout South Carolina. — Map (db m19810) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Boys' High School|
formerly stood at the
"Home of the Yellow Jackets"
Anderson Boys' High School
was located on this site.
The school educated many of
our city's young men from
the year 1923 until its close in
1962. The hopes, dreams and
aspirations of thousands of
young Anderson males
passed through this entryway
on the way to their futures. — Map (db m59359) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson College Infirmary|
Mr. & Mrs. Rex Rice
Belton, South Carolina
for the Advancement of Christian Education and to the Glory of God. — Map (db m19812) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Confederate Monument|
(Crossed swords in scabbards with a laurel wreath - representing the cavalry.)
(Confederate Battle Flag)
"Though conquered, we adore it!
Love the cold dead hands that bore it!"
(Furled Stainless Banner)
(Cannon wheel, cannon balls, cannon swabs - representing the artillery.)
1st Battle Manassas, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Caines' Mill, Frazier's Farm, Chickamauga, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Chancellorsville, . . . — Map (db m10732) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Court House -- 1898|
This is Anderson County's second court house. It stands on the site of the first small brick court house where the first court session in Anderson was held on the third Monday in October, 1820. The present building of pronounced Victorian architecture was dedicated June 27, 1898, with elaborate explosives opened with a procession from the Hotel Chiquola (Plaza Hotel Building). The Court House addition was erected in 1939. The clock face and bell in the tower are the same ones used in the . . . — Map (db m10692) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Courthouse Annex Park|
| The location of the Anderson County Courthouse Annex on the corner of Fant and River Street has unique significance to Anderson's history. The site is the location of the 1865 federal encampment of the First Maine, 33rd Regiment, United States Colored Troops (USCT), a military unit composed of African American soldiers. The encampment included the terrain where historic McCant's Middle School now stands, continuing to the corner of Fant and River Streets. The First Marine troops, 33rd Regiment . . . — Map (db m19838) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion|
|This Building was originally constructed in the 1930's for use as the Anderson Petroleum Company. It was renovated in the fall of 2005 to be the new home of the Anderson County Farmers Market Pavilion.
2005 Anderson County
Farmers Market Board
Clifford Newton - Farmers Marker Manager
Bill Lloyd - Project Engineer
2005 Anderson County
Council . . . — Map (db m42257) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Fire Fighters Memorial|
|Remembering those that gave
their lives protecting people
"...We are the defenders from fire, of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of man and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all, our proudest endeavor is to save lives of men, a work of God himself." -- Excerpt from The Firemen's Creed
Firefighters That Have Died in the Line of Duty in Anderson County
William E. Campbell, 1913, City of Anderson
Robert . . . — Map (db m19915) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial|
A memorial to the Memory of the law enforcement officers of Anderson County South Carolina who gave their lives in the line of duty. Their valor and sacrifice will be long remembered.
William Gibson Anderson Police Dept. 1924
James Wilson Sheriff Dept. 1926
Luther Martin Sheriff Dept. 1928
Ed Sanders Anderson Police Dept. 1947
W.L. Bill Acker . . . — Map (db m11399) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Veterans Monument|
This monument is dedicated to the war veterans of Anderson County. On its walls are listed the names of our natives who served in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Persian Gulf War. In addition, the monument lists the names of out local men and women who lost their lives during peacetime service in the United States Armed Forces.
Each section of the monument is dedicated to veterans form the different wars. In each section, the names of the veterans who . . . — Map (db m21367) WM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-18 — Anderson Mills|
| Founded in 1888, Anderson Cotton Mills, later a division of Abney Mills, was the first textile plant established in the town of Anderson. It is said to be the first textile mill in the United States powered by electricity transmitted over long distance power lines. Electricity for the plant was generated at Portman Shoals, located on the Seneca River. — Map (db m52093) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Presbyterian Church Cemetery|
Land Given by
Judge J.N. Whitner
Used as the First
Public Burial Ground
For the Village — Map (db m49496) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson Regional Airport|
The first municipal airport in Anderson was just a grassy field located near where the Civic Center now stands. An historical marker notes the site where Amelia Earhart landed there on November 14, 1931.
In the early 1930s land was purchased from J. Roy Pennell to create the current airport During World War II the grass airship was paved and served pilots learning tactical bombing techniques. Samuel L. "Dean" Prince, a former Dean of the University of South Carolina School of Law, . . . — Map (db m53938) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson, S.C. The Electric City Founded in 1827|
|Named in Honor of
Gen. Robert Anderson
A Revolutionary Hero — Map (db m10671) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-25 — Anderson: "The Electric City"|
Anderson was dubbed "The Electric City" in 1895 when William C. Whitner, an engineer and native of Anderson, built a hydroelectric power plant which was the first in the South to transmit electricity over long distances. The plant, in McFall's Mill at High Shoals on the Rocky River 6 mi. E, supplied power to light the city and also operated several small industries in Anderson. In 1897 Whitner replaced the
experimental plant with a larger generating . . . — Map (db m10693) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891|
This building was erected as the home of the Bank of Anderson, an outgrowth of the Anderson National Bank founded in 1872 with Col. Joseph Newton Brown as president. The early bank was located on the west side of the square. It was the second banking institution established in the city. In 1891 the Anderson National Bank was reorganized and renamed the Bank of Anderson. Its first president was B.F. Mauldin. The bank continued in operation until 1925. The original entrance to this building . . . — Map (db m21221) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Boy High School|
The original Anderson High School sat on the corner of North Fant and East Calhoun Streets. All grade levels were taught despite being called a high school. This school burned down in 1904 and was rebuilt the following year. Due to overcrowding, students of Anderson High School continued to be placed in several different school locations. To alleviate the problem, the school board contracted architect J.M. Baldwin to draw plans for a new school. The school board purchased two lots of land on . . . — Map (db m65305) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Building History / Major Frank R Thompson (1903-1977)|
Built in the 1930s by Frank R. Thompson, this building was the main street depot for the Anderson Petroleum Company and Dixie Distributors, Inc., both successful petroleum distributors in Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Greenwood, Abbeville, and McCormick counties. Thompson's companies imported petroleum products from the adjacent P&N rail depot. This building's distinctive "stone and red mortar" facade was the architectural signature of Thompson's Dixie Petroleum . . . — Map (db m42762) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Denmark Hall|
|This building constructed in 1912
is named in honor of
Dr. Annie Dove Denmark
associated with Anderson College for
36 years, serving as President of the
college from 1928-1953. Dr. Denmark
was a resident of this dormitory
during her tenure. — Map (db m19738) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Dr. Samuel Marshall Orr House|
Department of Archives
of Historic Places — Map (db m54790) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-39 — Ebenezer Methodist Church|
This church, formally organized by about 1800, is thought to be the oldest Methodist congregation in Anderson County. Circuit riders and other itinerant ministers held early services in a nearby brush arbor. Its first and second churches were small log buildings. A frame sanctuary, built by church members Samuel Emerson before the Civil War, was the first built on this site.
Church trustees acquired this site in 1839, purchasing 3 acres from Amaziah . . . — Map (db m55621) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Fant's Book Store -- 1851|
| This store is the oldest business firm in Anderson. It has been owned and operated consistently by the same family for 175 years. Established by George W. Fant and originally named G.W. Fant & Son the store is an outgrowth of Dr. Edmund Webb's Drug and Book store, one of Anderson's first business establishments. Prior to 1851 Mr. Fant was associated with the Webb firm and assisted in conducting the business of the Post Office which was located in the store on the west side of the square. The . . . — Map (db m21292) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — First Lady of the Skies|
Famous aviator Amelia Earhart landed on an airfield near here on November 14, 1931. She was piloting a Beechnut Autogiro on a nation wide tour promoting Beechnut Products. It was shortly after completing this tour that she made her famous solo flight across the Atlantic, flying from Harbour Grace, Newfoundland to Londonberry, Ireland on May 20, 1932. The airfield where Earhart landed was the original Anderson County Airport, founded in 1928 on the highest land Anderson County owned, this . . . — Map (db m21250) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — First Presbyterian Church|
Organized Sept. 23, 1837 on land given by J. N. Whitner. First frame structure was built in 1839. Anderson's first cemetery is here, and city's first Sunday School was organized here about 1855. Present sanctuary's cornerstone was laid in 1879. Kirk was built in 1922 on the site of the first sanctuary. Education building and Gallant Chapel were built in 1968. — Map (db m10727) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Flat Rock Cemetery Veterans Monument|
Veterans Who Are buried
in Flat Rock Cemetery
Harry Drake, Daniel Y. Culbertson, J.C. Culbertson, Luther M. Borders, John T Neims, Charles A. Thornton, Berry Faine, Edward Graham, Charles A. Smith, Robert Lee Coker, Russell W. Adams, Fred Walter Hall, Walter C. Telford, Benjamin F. Culbertson, Albert L. Poindexter, Zack D. Bannister, Lucius D. Clinkscales, Fred Johnson Tucker, Lewis Charles Elrod, Joseph Edgar Cheek, Frank . . . — Map (db m54779) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Frierson School House ca. 1886|
Miss Sarah Jane (Janie) Frierson was a well known educator and the daughter of Dr. David Frierson, an early pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Anderson. Miss Frierson opened her one room school in the late 1880s. One room schools of this type were common throughout Anderson County, with potbelly stoves for heat, natural light for illumination, and outhouses. All grades were taught in the same room at the same time. Books were shared, discipline was severe, and oral repetitions of . . . — Map (db m42189) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse|
|Entered on the National Register
of Historic Places
December 13, 1971
Federal Postal Station
Anderson, South Carolina
Thomas Harlan Ellett
This property significantly contributes to the Nation's cultural heritage.
Commemorated June 1976
Gerald R. Ford
President of the United States
Administrator of General Services — Map (db m19912) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910|
This building was erected as the home of G.F. Tolly Furniture Company, an outgrowth of Anderson's first cabinet shop established at this site by Ezekiel George. George F. Tolly entered business with Mr. George in 1856. Later married George's daughter and eventually inherited the business. The G.F. Tolly Company also operated as a funeral home. Was carried on for many years by Tolly descendants and became one of the largest furniture dealers in the state. The business moved elsewhere when . . . — Map (db m42725) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Girls High School|
The Anderson County Museum is situated on the former site of Anderson Girls High School. The original structure, an imposing multi-story brick building, was built in 1918. At that time, both boys and girls attended the school known as Anderson High School. In 1921, a fire swept through the building requiring extensive repairs. In 1923, the school administration decided to split the student body along gender lines. Girls attended the newly named Anderson Girls High School, and the boys . . . — Map (db m42249) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-30 — Grace Episcopal Church|
This Parish, organized in 1851 with the Rev. Benjamin Webb as its first vicar, grew out of occasional Episcopal services held in Anderson as early as 1844. The first church here, a frame Carpenter Gothic building, was completed in 1860 on land donated by Daniel Brown. Housing Anderson's first pipe organ, a tower was added in 1883, and stained glass windows in 1888. An 1890 fire did moderate damage.
The second church, a brick Gothic Revival building first . . . — Map (db m10417) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-2 — High Shoals|
|2.9 miles south on Rocky River
Anderson Water, Light, & Power Co.,
organized in 1894 by
William C. Whitner,
was successful the next year
in transmitting electricity over
the distance of six miles
This achievement was a herald
of the industrial revolution
in the South. — Map (db m10764) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Historic Wilhite House Antebellum|
Dr. P.A. Wilhite
Discoverer Of Ether — Map (db m10737) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-13 — Hopewell Church|
This Baptist church, which was first located about 1.5 miles northwest, was constituted in 1803. The congregation moved to the present 4.4 acre site after it was surveyed December 14, 1822. Two houses of worship were built here before 1891, when a third was erected. It was replaced by the present 1949 structure. — Map (db m10668) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In Commemoration of Black Pioneers|
Dr. N.H. Jenkins, M.D.
Dr. Moses Jenkins, Pharmacist
Stewart Anderson, Merchant
E.J. Thomas, Tailor
W.I. Peek, Mortician
Arfelton Adger, Taxicab
East Church Street
What Was Once Can Never
Be Again; Records Will
Show We Were Here
City of Anderson, S.C.
Darwin H. Wright
Francis E. . . . — Map (db m19914) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In Honor and Remembrance|
|In Honor and Remembrance
heroes and victims of September 11, 2001
and to celebrate
the enduring spirit of all Americans. — Map (db m19891) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — In This Burial Ground|
|In this burial ground
the first public burial ground
in the City of Anderson, S.C.,
rest fifty or more persons
known only to God.
This plaque is in honor of
those unnamed persons who
lived and died as a part
of the Anderson community. — Map (db m54638) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — James Lawrence Orr|
|Born August 29, 1852
Died February 26, 1905
Founder and President
Orr Cotton Mills
Honest and Fearless in the
Discharge of Every Duty.
Rest in Peace. — Map (db m15269) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Korean War / Viet Nam Veterans|
In honor of the
Korean War veterans of
In honor of the
Viet Nam veterans of
1964-1975 — Map (db m10674) WM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Lebanon Baptist Church est. 1815|
|At the Site of the
Old Lebanon Church Cemetery.
Relocated to Present Site in 1860.
Present Sanctuary Built in 1911. — Map (db m52076) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — M42A1 "Duster"|
A mobile, full tracked, lightly armored antiaircraft & ground support weapon system.
Manufactured by Cadillac at the Cleveland Tank Arsenal in the 1950s.
Weight of 49,500 pounds and a crew of six.
Powered by a continental air cooled supercharged engine with 895 cubic inches and 500 horsepower.
A GM Allison automatic transmission.
Armament included twin 40mm automatic guns, Swedish design by Bofors (240 rounds per minute) and an air cooled 30 caliber flexible machine . . . — Map (db m19918) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Masonic Temple -- 1889|
| This is the second Masonic Temple to occupy this location. After its organization in 1848, Hiram Lodge No. 68 met in the second story of a store building on the east side of the square for several years. The first temple was erected at this location in 1866. Its small auditorium was Anderson's first theater. The building also was used to house Anderson first hospital established during the Civil War as the Ladies Hospital Association. The present temple, once topped by a cupola, was dedicated . . . — Map (db m38438) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — McDuffie High School "Home of the Fighting Scots"|
|McDuffie High School stood
proudly at this location from
1964 until 1996. Serving
Anderson as a comprehensive
vocational high school,
McDuffie enrollment averaged
1000 students each year it was
open. Many of Anderson's
current business and
community leaders are placed
McDuffie High School graduates. — Map (db m59360) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — McGee Harness Shop|
The McGee Harness Shop was located on the corner of West Benson Street in downtown Anderson. Mr. James L. McGee was listed in the 1905 Anderson City Directory as a dealer in stock, buggies, wagons, and harnesses. By 1910, the small shop located at 131 West Benson Street was part of the Davis Brothers Livery and Boarding Stables which provided horses, mules, vehicles and harnesses, and was open 2 hours a day.
By 1925, Elias and Willis McGee became owners of the Davis and McGee Mule . . . — Map (db m42151) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Mountain Creek Baptist Church|
|Organized in 1789 initially as an Arm
of the Shockley Ferry Church.
Known for a time as Bethesda.
Cooper Bennett was its first pastor.
The oldest church in the Saluda Baptist
Association, it has been a Lighthouse
for the lost and a place for all to
worship God and continue to move on
Forward Through the Ages — Map (db m10132) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Mrs. J.D. Chapman|
|In Memory of
Mrs. J.D. Chapman
First President of Woman's Missionary Union
Auxiliary to South Carolina Baptist Convention
Dedicated Christian Missions Leader
of Vision and Ability
Honored by Name of WMU State Mission Offering
Her Watchword: "Be Ye Steadfast." — Map (db m19867) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — New Silver Brook Veterans Monument|
To All Veterans
Who Have Served Their Country
Honorably and Bravely.
May They Rest in Peace. — Map (db m57675) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-14 — Old Hopewell Cemetery|
Located 1.09 miles northwest, this cemetery marks the original site of Hopewell Baptist Church which was constituted in 1803. The cemetery contains graves of Revolutionary and Confederate veterans. Some graves are marked by field stones with hand-chiseled initials. — Map (db m10724) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Old Silverbrook Veterans Memorial|
To All Veterans
Who Have Served Their Country
Honorably and Bravely.
May They Rest in Peace. — Map (db m19886) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-26 — Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin|
The first cotton gin to be powered by electricity transmitted over a long distance stood near this site on the farm of Oliver "Duck" Bolt (1847-1922). In 1897 Bolt, whose gin had previously been powered by a steam engine, contracted with the Anderson Water, Light, and Power Company to furnish electricity for a 20-horsepower electric motor from its new plant at Portman Shoals, 7 mi. W on the Seneca River. — Map (db m15161) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Mill Cemetery Preserving Our Cemeteries|
Deeded to the City in 1992, these humble grounds are the final resting place for some Orr Mill employees and family members dating to the 1800s. Numerous graves are here, marked and unmarked, including infants.
Help us improve these unique memorial grounds as a tribute to our past and to welcome visitors for generations to come. — Map (db m50102) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Monument|
The Orr Monument was never a tombstone, but a cenotaph, or memorial, to Colonel James L. Orr, son of South Carolina Governor James L. Orr. Colonel Orr was an Anderson native, the founder and president of Orr Cotton Mills, and a well known philanthropist of his era. Colonel Orr supported the building of an experimental hydro-electric plant at High Shoals. With the success of the first ever long distance transmission of electricity from this plant, Colonel Orr continued to support the effort . . . — Map (db m42246) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Portman Dam and Power Plant|
In 1889, the City of Anderson contracted with a 26 year old native son, an engineering graduate of the University of South Carolina, to build a steam power plant and water system for the city. Keeping up with the engineering achievements of the day, William Church Whitner became convinced that the long distance transmission of electric energy using hydropower would be developed in Anderson. On May 1, 1895, a group of Anderson's business and community leaders ventured . . . — Map (db m10697) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-1 — Portman Shoals|
|Half mile West on Seneca River
the Portman Shoals Power Plant,
built by William C. Whitner,
began in 1897 the transmission
of high-voltage electricity over
the longest lines then in use for
that purpose in the United States.
The success of this plant,
now owned by Duke Power Company,
caused Anderson to be called
"The Electric City." — Map (db m10696) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Pratt Hall|
|This building constructed in 1912
is named in honor of
Dr. and Mrs. R.N. Pratt
at Anderson College
Dr. Pratt - 1922-1927
Mrs. Pratt - 1922-1946 — Map (db m19745) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain|
The idea for a memorial fountain to honor General Robert Anderson, the American Revolutionary hero for whom our county is named, was part of an overall plan to beautify downtown Anderson. Through the efforts of Mrs. Rufus Fant and the Anderson Civic Association, a small park was designed to surround the fountain, replacing the old hitching post area. Along the base of the fountain are the names of the officers of the Anderson Civic Association, the casting date "1905", and the dedication to . . . — Map (db m42186) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-23 — Roberts Church|
Organized in 1789 and sometimes called Simpson's Meetinghouse, this church is one of Anderson County's oldest Presbyterian churches. The Reverend John Simpson was the first minister, and the Reverend David Humphreys served here for 39 years until his death in 1869. Both men are buried in the church sanctuary. The present sanctuary was built in 1937. — Map (db m31002) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Site of First African American High School in Anderson County Reed Street High School|
|After another high school was built, Reed Street High was renamed Perry Elementary School.
Perry Elementary later became known as
Perry Child Development Center.
This memorial is dedicated to the students teachers and principals who were a part of these historic institutions.
Presented to the Citizens of the City of
Anderson and Anderson County by the
Reed High School Alumni, July 9, 2004 — Map (db m60542) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Site of Rose Hill -- 1794|
| The home of Judge Joseph N. Whitner, Anderson County's founding father, was located at the crest of this will. It stood until recent years when it was torn down. Judge Whitner was a South Carolina House of Representative from Pendleton District when the act dividing Pendleton District into Anderson and Pickens Counties was passed on December 20, 1826. He was the chief supporter of the bill and did most of the work involved in setting up Anderson County. In 1830 he was elected Anderson County's . . . — Map (db m59361) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-7 — St. John's Methodist Church|
|Organized in 1828, this
was the first church in
Anderson. A log meeting
house built in 1830 on
West Benson Street served
the church until 1858
when a frame building
was erected on this site.
A brick church replaced
it in 1888. The present
sanctuary was completed
in 1912, the Educational
Building in 1928 and
the Activities Building
in 1956. The church was
named St. John's in 1897. — Map (db m10733) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — St. Paul's Baptist Church -- 1865|
This is the first Negro church established in Anderson County. It was founded immediately after emancipation and incorporated in 1873. The Rev. Philip Morris was its first pastor. The present edifice, built in 1903, replaced two earlier frame sanctuaries and is the first brick church for blacks erected in South Carolina. St. Paul's is the mother church of Wilson Calvary and Royal Baptist Churches. Plans for establishing Morris College, named for the first pastor of St. Paul's were made at a . . . — Map (db m60543) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Sullivan Hardware Co. -- 1875|
This building was erected in 1891 and has been the home of Sullivan Hardware Company since 1903. In earlier years it was occupied by the Alliance Store operated by Rufus Hill. The Sullivan Firm was founded as a general merchandise store by J.M. Sullivan and C.S. Mattison in 1875. Originally it was located in the Centennial House (Old Christopher Orr Hotel Building) on E. Benson Street. When a Sullivan brother, H.K. Sullivan, bought Mr. Mattison's interest the name was changed from Sullivan & . . . — Map (db m42745) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Sullivan Music Building|
|This building was donated to
Anderson College in 1914 by
Mr. Charles S. Sullivan, Sr.
to be used as the President's Home.
In 1965 it was renovated to serve
as the music building. — Map (db m19804) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex|
Civic Center of Anderson - 1992
Chris Taylor Memorial Park - Dedicated 1998
Anderson Sports Complex - 1999
Anderson County Amphitheater - 1999
The Anderson County Sports and Entertainment Center
was designed to improve the quality of life for all
citizens of Anderson County. Although created for the
enjoyment of residents and visitors alike, special
consideration was given to the needs of our children
and to their development as . . . — Map (db m36170) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The First Baptist Church Bell|
Originally mounted in the church tower during the alterations to the building in the year 1892, and removed in 1976 when the old tower was razed.
The bell is mounted here as a symbol of the influence on the community of this church for the last one hundred and fifty-five years, and as a challenge for those who follow to work diligently for the advancement of the kingdom of God throughout the world.
May it still be used to mark significant events so that all who hear the clear tones . . . — Map (db m11248) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Four Way Test Rotary International|
| In 1932, Rotarian Herbey Taylor created The Four Way Test, a code of ethics adopted by Rotary 11 years later. The test, which has been translated into more than 100 languages, asks the following questions:
Of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the Truth?
2. Is it Fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
4. Will be be Beneficial to all concerned? — Map (db m62432) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Greeley Institute 1870 - 1954|
| The Horace Greeley Institute Trust was established in 1870 in the name of abolitionist Horace Greeley. Because the trust was to be used for the advancement of the education of "Freedmen and their Children," a school, known as the Greeley Institute, was built and operated by the trustees until 1913.
In 1913, the Greeley Institute became part of the public school system and was relocated to a new building on this site on South Fant Street.
The building remained a public school of . . . — Map (db m61078) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The H.H. Watkins Teaching Center|
|In Memory of
Henry Hitt Watkins
Maude Wakefield Watkins
This building was made possible through the generosity of Judge and Mrs. Watkins, the South Carolina Baptist Convention, and other dedicated friends of Anderson College.
Mr. Watkins, teacher, excellent lawyer and outstanding judge was chairman of the Committee of Forty selected by the citizens of Anderson to raise the first large gift presented toward the building of Anderson College. Mr. . . . — Map (db m19816) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Hole|
| This structure is called a "sweatbox" and was commonly used throughout the United States as a government-recommended method of disciplining prisoners during the mid-1900s. It was very much despised and feared by the prisoners, who referred to it as "the hole." This sweatbox is located on the site of the camp used to house prisoners of African-American descent. The camp for the white prisoners was located across the street where the Civil Center now stands. This sweatbox is the one that was . . . — Map (db m19917) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The J.E. Rouse Dormitory|
Named in honor of
Dr. John Edward Rouse
Baptist Leader, Friend of Youth
Champion of Education
President of Anderson College 1957-73
This dormitory is named to honor him
in grateful recognition of
his contribution and leadership
of Anderson College. — Map (db m19829) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Old Reformer|
Though not engaged in actual warfare since the Revolutionary War, when it was used by both the American and British Army, this old cannon has had much to do with the making of South Carolina history. It came into this section, first in 1814, in charge of the military forces of this district and was late used when great enthusiasm in General and Camp musters.
In 1860 it was used with wonderful effect spreading the news of South Carolina's secession and in rallying the manhood of the . . . — Map (db m21310) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Original Back Door Step|
|The Original Back Door Step
Flat Rock Union Church
Dedicated October 9, 1988
Flat Rock Presbyterian Church
Chartered November 10, 1888
Flat Rock Baptist Church
Chartered November 17, 1832 — Map (db m54639) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Wilton E. Hall Bridge|
|Named in honor of
Wilton E. Hall
The Anderson Independent
For his dedicated service
to Anderson County
and South Carolina — Map (db m19493) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867|
This was the second Negro church founded in Anderson. It was organized at a meeting of approximately 15 persons at the home of the Rev. Henry A. Mikell, who served as the first pastor. A lot was purchased from Bale Clayton for $100 and a small frame church, built of lumber from logs donated by Mrs. Joseph N. (Elizabeth) Whitner, was erected at the site. The original building was replaced by the present brick structure in 1911. The first pastor called after erection of the brick edifice was . . . — Map (db m11745) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-11 — University Hill|
Three educational institutions have been in this immediate area: Johnson Female University (1856-63) named for William Bullein Johnson; the Carolina Collegiate Institute (about 1866-90) under W. J. Ligon; and Patrick Military Institute (1887-1900), J. B. Patrick, founder. A Confederate Treasury branch was located here in 1865, and University Hospital in the 1920s. — Map (db m10524) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Vandiver Hall Whyte House / White Building|
The west wing of this building was
constructed in 1920 and is named
in honor of
James Primrose Whyte
Dean and beloved Professor of
Literature and Sociology at
Anderson College from 1918 to 1922.
John E. White Building
Constructed in 1960
This building is named in honor of
Dr. John Ellington White
Orator, Scholar and Dynamic President of
Anderson College from 1916 to 1927. — Map (db m19784) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Veterans of All Wars|
|This flagpole is erected to
the memory of an in honor of
our fighting forces who have
defended this country in all wars. — Map (db m60011) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer|
|Out of Whose Vision, Leadership and Love to Humanity was Born a New Hospital
Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer is widely recognized as the founder of Anderson's first hospital, which over the years evolved into Anmed Health, the largest private not-for-profit health system in South Carolina. Despite less than full support from many of the city's residents, Mrs. Gilmer forged ahead, and construction on the new hospital was begun in 1907. The 25-bed hospital opened on the south side of the . . . — Map (db m59427) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Weather Reporting Station|
This structure once housed the Anderson County Airport's Weather Reporting Station. Located across the street where the Civic Center is now and constructed in 1931 at a cost between $5500 and $6000, this building was designed to provide shelter for the weather recording instruments and the technicians using them. There were also rooms for traveling aviators who needed a brief respite. As the county grew, so did the use of the airfield. When the county built the new airfield at its current . . . — Map (db m15327) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial|
|In Memory of World War Casualties
War No. I
War No. II
Johnnie M. Leroy
John M. McBride
Richard A. Shirley
John R. Moore, Jr.
Public Works Director
M. Anthony Norris
City Council Members
Beatrice R. Thompson
Thomas W. Dunaway III
James A. Stewart
Dennis H. McKee
Blake W. Williamson
Phillip M. Cheney
Steven C. . . . — Map (db m49493) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Arthur Floyd May 1, 1945 - May 13, 1999|
|William A. Floyd, a man of vision, served Anderson County as the first African-American elected to the Anderson County Council. He touched the lives of many county residents in various ways, as a husband, father, teacher, coach, councilman, Christian, and friend. Always thinking of the betterment of the county, he worked tirelessly to install teamwork and harmony in Anderson County. Mr. Floyd led the county in its longest sustained period of growth and prosperity and was instrumental in the . . . — Map (db m21328) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — 4-12 — William Bullein Johnson 1782 - 1862|
President of Triennial Southern, South Carolina Baptist Conventions. Johnson Female University founded here in 1848 as Johnson Female Seminary was named for him because of his support for female education. From 1853 to 1858, while Chancellor of this institution, he lived in the house at the south end of this street. His grave is in First Baptist Churchyard. — Map (db m10526) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Church Whitner Centennial Anniversary of Duke Power|
Native son William Church Whitner developed the concept and spearheaded financing for the first hydroelectric plant to transmit power over a long distance in the South. On May 1, 1895, electricity travelled six miles from a generator at High Shoals on the Rocky River to downtown Anderson, S.C.
Whitner was born in 1864 and attended the University of South Carolina. After considering law, he chose a degree in Civil Engineering in 1885. He set out as a railroad engineer, but soon . . . — Map (db m10695) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — William Law Watkins Meals on Wheels Center Anderson County|
|This facility was originally built in 1951 and was the cafeteria for the McCants Middle School. Renovation of the space for Meals on Wheels was completed in 2000 to allow for the expansion of the successful community program, which was begin in 1976, through an effort spearheaded by Lila Albergotti and Lucille Mayo. The new center was made possible by the same generosity of benefactors which has enabled the program to operate through its history. — Map (db m59442) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — World War I and II Veterans|
In honor of the
World War veterans of
Anderson County, 1914-1918
Erected by the
American Legion Auxiliary
W.H. Hudgens Unit No. 14
In honor of the
World War veterans of
Anderson County, 1941-1945
Erected by the
American Legion Auxiliary
W.H. Hudgens Unit No. 14
1950 — Map (db m10673) WM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — World War I Memorial|
|Dedicated to the memory of
our comrades who entered the
service of their country
from Anderson County
and who gave their lives in
the World War
W.A. Hudgens Post No. 14,
November 11, 1934 — Map (db m10681) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — "Lord, We Are Grateful"|
On this site stood the
third building erected by
Whitefield Baptist Church.
The building was used by
the Congregation for worship
and fellowship until 1957.
Erected as a memorial to God's
blessings by his people
at this sacred place. — Map (db m36637) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Belton / Historic Belton|
The Tennis Capital of South Carolina
Long know as the Tennis Capital of South Carolina, Belton's tennis history can be traced back over 110 years. An 1892 edition of the Anderson Intelligencer stated, "The young men of Belton are happy. The stores close at 6:00 and the clerks have an opportunity to engage in lawn tennis."
Belton's first court was located in the triangle formed by the railroad tracks near the depot and later the famous . . . — Map (db m35564) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Belton Depot|
|Replacing the wooden structure located across the street that had served the Belton Community since 1853, the brick Southern & Blue Ridge Combined Railway Depot was designed in 1907 and completed by 1910. In the heyday of passenger and freight train use around 1914, there were 85 trains or trolleys making stops in Belton. Passenger trains were discontinued in 1961 and today only one freight train, owned by the Pickens Railway Company, travels past the Depot.
The Depot building has seen two . . . — Map (db m31012) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Belton Veterans Memorial|
In this place we honor all those who served in the Armed Forces and reflect upon their dedication to duty and country. We recognize the hardships they endured to protect our freedoms and the ultimate sacrifice of life given by those listed below:
World War I
Charles Leonard Campbell, Louie H. Campbell, Willie H. Cobb, John T. Holliday, Robert Latha, Willard C. Shaw, William C. Todd, Claude N. Willingham
World War II
John Henry Anders, Jr., Joel . . . — Map (db m10757) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Dorchester Baptist Church World War II Veterans Plaque|
|In honor of the
men and women
serving our country
Dorchester Baptist Church
Breazeale, Thomas C
Cox, James B
Cox, William N
Cox, Fred N
Cox, Charles M
Fullbright, Bessie V
Fullbright, Ralph M
Keys, William R
King, Joseph C
King, William M
Ledbetter, Ina B
McMahan, George H
Saylors, Roy H
Wardlaw, Frank C
McMahan, Jack — Map (db m36667) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — First Baptist Church of Belton|
of the Founders and Members
of the First Baptist Church
Belton, S.C. Which Stood on
This Site 1861 - 1882. — Map (db m50323) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — 4-36 — Greenville & Columbia RR / Belton|
|Greenville & Columbia RR
The Greenville & Columbia Railroad, founded in 1845, began construction in 1849. It reached Greenville in 1853, with a branch at this point to Anderson - the Blue Ridge Railroad. The town of Belton grew up around the junction of the two railroads, which later merged after the Civil War. The two rail lines made Belton the hub of passenger and freight service for Anderson District.
Belton, incorporated in 1855, was named for Judge John Belton . . . — Map (db m35635) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters 1917 Union High School 1937|
|This building served as a classroom and
dormitory for the former Union High School
"To The Glory of God"
July 20, 1991
The Reverend R.H. Mitchell -- Moderator at Renovation
Dr. Earl J. Mathis -- At Dedication
Rev. Marvin Peoples, Chr.
Mr. Paul Hall
Mr. Sylvester Clinkscales
Mrs. Mullean B. Heard
Mr. A.A. Martin, Sr.
Rev. C.A. Latimer
Mrs. Dorothy Robertson
Dr. J.L. Earl
Rev. Greene Jenkins
Rev. H.C. Anderson . . . — Map (db m10752) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — The Belton Standpipe|
|The National Register
of Historic Places:
The Belton Standpipe
Historical Landmark Built 1908, Restored 1990
Placed on the State and National Archive's Register 1987
James A. Hawkins, Wallace P. Shaw
Mike Rowland, C.L. (Bill) Oates
Francis Marshall, Sam F. Hanks
John Edwards, City Administrator
Bob Burris, Utility Superintendent
Edna H. Cason, . . . — Map (db m31166) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Easley — 4-24 — Pickens Cemetery|
This land, Cherokee territory until 1777, became the final resting place after the American Revolution for early pioneers who settled the area. A number of soldiers of the Revolution are buried here including Robert Pickens, who served in the state militia and was brother to General Andrew Pickens. — Map (db m9087) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Easley — 4-35 — St. Paul Methodist Church|
This church, founded in 1803, held its first services in the home of John Wilson and was first known as Wilson's Chapel. That year the congregation bought two acres here from George Head; the first church on this site was built in 1810. St. Paul's early ministers were circuit riders, as it was part of the Saluda District until it joined the Pendleton District in 1871.
The second church, a frame cruciform building, was built here in 1897; it served . . . — Map (db m47088) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — 4-9 — Barkers Creek Baptist Church|
Founded in 1821, this is the boyhood church and burial place of Olin D. Johnston. He was decorated for bravery in World War I, served in the S.C. House of Representatives, was twice Governor of S.C., in 1935-1939 and 1943-1945, and U.S. Senator from 1945 until his death April 18, 1965. — Map (db m9335) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — 4-27 — Carnegie Library|
Honea Path is the smallest town of the fourteen South Carolina communities with libraries funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Dr. John Wright, Mayor John Humbert, and Miss Jennie Erwin were leaders in obtaining the $5000 grant. The Honea Path Library Association was established in 1907 and the library opened in 1908. It was renamed the Jennie Erwin Library in 1958, when it became part of the Anderson County Library System. — Map (db m10759) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — Chiquola Baptist Church Bell|
|Rang from 1924 until 1959
Rang for 75th Anniversary
Mr. Ben L. Davis (Uncle Ben, as he was
called) rang the bell until his retirement in
1958. The bell was rung at 9:00 am and
10:00 am and 10:30 am and 11:00 am.
After his death,
Harold and Delane Fisher
rang the bell. — Map (db m38380) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — Chiquola Mill Monument|
James David Hammett
March 16, 1868
April 16, 1924.
The founder and president
of this company.
"And what doth the lord require
of thee but to do justly, love
mercy and walk humbly with thy God."
Fifty Years Service
Evelyn G. Cox
Lyda M. Cox
James F. Keasler
James W. Atkins — Map (db m37530) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — David Greer, Sr. Born County Antrim, Ireland 1750|
Came to the colonies and received a land grant from King George III in 1770 in the area known as the 96 District of South Carolina. In 1791 he moved to this locality and accepted a land grant from Charles Pinckney, Governor of South Carolina, and became the first settler of Honey Path, S.C. Married three times; the father of 15 children. David, 3 wives, and 4 children are buried in this plot.
Children . . . — Map (db m40637) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — Honea Path Pathways of a Southern Town|
Native American Trade and the "Honey Path"
Town historians long debated the origin of the unusual name "Honea Path." Some attribute it to settler William Honey, who purchased 200 acres northeast of town in 1788. Others say it refers to a Cherokee trading path that ran between the Saluda and Savannah Rivers. Before the arrival of Europeans, Native American groups traded goods throughout the region. Cherokee and Creek Indians later used the waterways and pathways to . . . — Map (db m11252) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — Honea Path Veterans Memorial|
|In memory of Honea Path veteran
who gave their lives for their country
and in honor of those who served.
War Between the States
[Left Column}: Reuben B. Kay, George Ballentine, James L. Bagwell, Jr., Pleasant Bagwell, John J. Bagwell, James H. Brock, Berry Coker, Joel Coker, William Cox, Wesley Davis, William J. Gambrell, Enoch S. Gambrell, Enos Gambrell, Harmon R. Gambrell, John E. Gambrell, James H. Kay, Charles W. Kay, David M. Kay, Luda F. Kay
[Center . . . — Map (db m10761) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — The Story of the Bell By Mrs. Mary Meyers|
|The talk was the dream of Rev. J.A. Marler, Pastor, to have a church bell. The members were too poor to buy one. Several men began to make plans to purchase a bell by raising money through pledges. Mr. George Lollis, Chairman of Chiquola Manufacturing Company, approached Carolina Textile Company, a supplier to Chiquola, to obtain a bell. The Carolina Textile company donated the bell. The bell community surprised Rev. Marler with the bell. Since he lived out of town, this was possible. It Rang . . . — Map (db m38458) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Honea Path — They Died for the Rights of the Working Man|
|These men were killed in Honea Path on September 6, 1934 in the General Textile Strike. This monument is dedicated to their memory, to their families and to all workers.
Claude Cannon, E.M. Knight
Lee Crawford, Maxie Peterson
Ira Davis, C.L. Rucker
Thomas Yarborough — Map (db m41259) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 1965|
This building and lot donated to the Town of Iva and the Iva District 10 Fire Department by W. Parker Bowie and his wife Marie T. Bowie in honor of his father Luther E. Bowie and his mother Lucia P. Bowie.
Dedicated to the citizens of this area for the protection of their lives and property.
The assistance of George V. Harris, Jr., as Construction Superintendent is acknowledged. — Map (db m54816) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 4-31 — Generostee A.R.P. Church|
This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is now Anderson County, was organized about 1790 about 1 1/2 mi. SW of this site. Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until his death in 1823. The first sanctuary on this site was a frame sanctuary which served the congregation until 1897.
The 1897 sanctuary burned in 1985 and was replaced by the present building, the fourth on this site and the . . . — Map (db m11747) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 4-5 — Good Hope Church|
Oldest Presbyterian Church
in continuous existence
in Anderson County.
Organized in 1789.
First pastor, Rev. John Simpson.
Congregation worshipped at three
sites nears Generostee Creek,
three miles west of Iva.
Old cemetery at third site.
Sanctuary built in Iva in 1909,
200 yards west of marker. — Map (db m9479) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Good Hope Presbyterian Church Organized 1789|
This marker designated the third site of this church. Since 1909, the new church, built at
Iva, S.C., has continued to carry on the
faithful witness of our Lord.
Rev. John Simpson 1790-1807
Rev. David Humphreys 1821-1869
Rev. John S. Young 4 years
Rev. R. Cater Ligon 1877-1902
Rev. W.S. Hamiter 1904-1910
Rev. M.E. Peabody 1910-1914
Rev. J.R. McRee, D.D. 1914-1922
Rev. M.A. DuRant 1925-1929
Rev. Wm. S. Talmage 1937-1941
Rev. D.M. Hill 1945-1947
Rev. J. . . . — Map (db m19954) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 4-32 — Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery|
This cemetery, dating from the early 19th century, is at the third site of Good Hope Presbyterian Church, founded in 1789. A frame sanctuary was built here in 1856 during the tenure of Rev. David Humphreys (d. 1869), who preached here 1821-1869 and was Good Hope's longest-serving pastor. In 1909 the congregation moved to Iva, three miles east, and built a new brick sanctuary there.
The sanctuary built here in 1856, the third to serve Good Hope, was . . . — Map (db m19945) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Iva A Small Railroad Town|
A "Great" Town
In 1886, the Savannah Valley railroad made its way into lower Anderson County. The depot town of Cook's Station was named for Dr. Augustus G. Cook, a local physician and businessman. The town was later called Iva in honor of Iva Cook Bryson, Dr. Cook's daughter. The settlement consisted of little more than a store, a grain mill or cotton gin, blacksmith shops, and a cottonseed oil mill. With the arrival of the railroad, the community went from a farming settlement, to a . . . — Map (db m43944) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Iva Veterans Monument|
In memory of those from our community who made the supreme sacrifice in order that w might continue to live in a free and prosperous nation with liberty and justice for all.
Robert Latham, Morge Hayes
Jerome Simpson, Melvin J. Green, James Martin, Loyd W. Watkins, James W. Loftis, Fred M. Newton, Therone J. Brown, James Carlisle Bryant, Lawton W. Smith, Walter T. Davis, Fred H. Werner, Aubrey J. McGill, Ira Eugene Wiles
. . . — Map (db m54781) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 4-19 — Moffettsville / Moffettsville Postmaster Appointments|
At this site once stood the town of Moffettsville, originating with the establishment of Moffett's Mills Post Office on February 16, 1818. By 1883, the town had a population of twenty-five with a physician and general store. Mail service here was discontinued in 1901.
James H. Davidson Feb. 16, 1818
John Simpson July 15, 1822
Andrew Milligan May 16, 1826
Archibald Simpson Dec. 7, 1826
Joel H. Berry May 17, 1838 . . . — Map (db m23812) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Old Iva Depot Mural|
This beautiful mural of the Old Iva Depot erected in 1886 with the C. & W.C. Train, painted by artist Oscar Velasquez, is dedicated to our forebears, to the churches and citizens of our community for their contribution to the growth of the town of Iva, with gratitude to God for this part of our cherished heritage.
Funds to have this scene painted were made available by contributions from the Reviva Organization, citizens and friends, and in loving memory of the following:
Archie L. . . . — Map (db m54785) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pelzer — Old Livestock Corral|
Before Saddlehorn was a neighborhood, it was a rural cattle farm. Corrals like this were used (and still are in some instances) by farmers as holding pens to work with cattle that grazed the surrounding pastures. When farmers built this corral, they cut the posts from Eastern Cedar trees located on the property because this wood is slow to decay. They built the cross members high so an excited animal couldn't jump over the fence. The main section of the corral acted as the holding pen, and . . . — Map (db m11250) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pelzer — Pelzer Presbyterian Church|
Has Been Placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m30969) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pelzer — Reese Family Cemetery|
This is the site of a small cemetery used by the Reece family in the 19th century. Because cattle roamed freely in this area for years, the tombstones and other grave markings are broken. In 1977, the readable tombstones were recorded by family members. Jacob Reece (1783-1873) and his wife Rebecca Reece (1787-1865) were married around 1801 and had nine children, four of whom are known to be buried in this cemetery - David Reece (1837-1858), Matilda Chapman (1811-1858), Leaner Chapman . . . — Map (db m11091) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-38 — "The Hundreds"|
This area was a hub of African-American life from the late-19th to mid-20th centuries. Anderson County Training School, built ca. 1922 as a Rosenwald school, closed in 1954 under the equalization program for black and white schools. It burned in the 1960s. The agricultural building is now a community center. The Faith Cabin Library, built ca. 1935 by a program to give black schools their own libraries, is one of only two such libraries still standing in S.C.
. . . — Map (db m54824) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-24 — African American School Site|
The one-room frame public school organized shortly after the Civil War, housed 76 students and 1 teacher by 1870. The school term lasted 1 month and 10 days. Jane Harris Hunter, founder of the Phillis Wheatley centers for working girls, attended the school for 3 years. She wrote the book, A Nickel and a Prayer. Vance Street is named after the family of Rev. Augustus Thomas Vance, who served as the school trustee. — Map (db m9647) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-15 — Ashtabula|
This plantation on the old road to Pickensville has been the home of several prominent S.C. families. Many of its owners were members of the Pendleton Farmers Society, and during the nineteenth century, studies, experiments, and advances in agriculture took place here. The house was built by 1828, enlarged about 1855. Ashtabula was raided by Union Troops in 1865. — Map (db m9649) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-10 — Barnard Elliott Bee|
Born Charleston, S.C., 1824.
Graduated West Point 1845.
Brigadier General, C.S.A., 1861.
Commanded 3rd Brigade,
Army of the Shenandoah.
July 21, 1861, at Manassas, Va., where he gave Gen. T.J. Jackson the name "Stonewall." Mortally wounded, he died July 22, 1861, and is buried in his family plot in St. Paul's churchyard. — Map (db m39001) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-29 — Clement Hoffman Stevens|
Confederate Brig. Gen. Clement H. Stevens (1821-1864) is buried nearby in the Bee family plot. Born in Connecticut, Stevens moved to S.C. after his father's death in 1836. In 1861 he invented the first ironclad battery, which was built on Cummings Pt. near Charleston and helped bombard Ft. Sumter. As an aide to his brother-in-law Brig. Gen. Barnard E. Bee, he was wounded on 21 July 1861 at First Manassas.
In 1862 Stevens and Ellison Capers formed . . . — Map (db m9680) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Dr. Don C. Garrison President of Tri-County Technical College November 1, 1971 - July 31, 2003|
|In recognition of Dr. Don C. Garrison for his thirty-two years of devoted service as the second president of the College for his dynamic leadership within the College, the State technical college system, and community colleges nationwide; for his passionate pursuit of excelled educational opportunity for the people of Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens Counties; for his tireless labors to improve the life quality of all those in the community and for his unrelenting commitment to the economic . . . — Map (db m18857) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-4 — Farmers Hall|
Pendleton Farmers Society.
Within this hall
Thomas Green Clemson,
one of the Society's presidents,
first discussed with its members
the plans for the funding of
Clemson College — Map (db m9589) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Health & Heritage Walking Trail|
Founded in 1790,
Pendleton was established as the judicial seat
for the Pendleton District, today known as
Anderson, Oconee and Pickens Counties.
This Health and Heritage Walking Trail offers
a glimpse into the past and the opportunity to
improve your health for the future. Follow the signs
and footprints for a enjoyable walk through
Pendleton's Historic District,
viewing homes dating from 1793-1844.
— Map (db m29865) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Hunter's Store An Upcountry General Store|
Located in the center of Historic Pendleton (1790), the building now housing the Pendleton District Commission was constructed in 1850 as a general store for Jesse Lewis. The business first came into the Hunter family in 1870 when it became "Hunter and Long." Partner James Hunter bought full control of the business which passed through several generations of Hunter ownership, becoming known as simply "Hunter's Store."
Everything from A to Z -- apples to zinnia seeds -- could be . . . — Map (db m13903) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Joseph B. Douthit A National Leader in Soil and Water Conservation 1893 — 1972|
|Directly behind this marker is the homesite of Joe and Mary Broyles Douthit. Born in Anderson County January 30, 1893, graduate of Clemson University, 1914. Farmer and seed breeder, lifelong member and steward of Sandy Springs United Methodist Church, Clemson University Trustee, 1936-1956.
Life member Methodist Rural Fellowship.
Commissioner Upper Savannah, Anderson, and Pickens Soil and Water Conservation Districts, 1937-1972, President, S.C. Association of Conservation Districts, . . . — Map (db m52075) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Old Mill Stone|
|Old Mill Stone
Pandleton Farmers Society
Mr. John Frank — Map (db m13910) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-22 — Pendleton|
On April 8, 1790, the Justices of the Peace for Pendleton County purchased this land to establish the courthouse town of Pendleton. Once Cherokee Indian land, the town became the judicial, social and commercial center for what now are Anderson, Oconee and Pickens Counties. Early Scotch-Irish settlers were followed by SC low country aristocratic families who built summer homes nearby. — Map (db m9614) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-6 — Printer John Miller|
This London newspaper publisher and defender of a free press emigrated to Charleston in 1783 where he served as state printer and publisher of the first daily newspaper in South Carolina. Later in Pendleton he founded Miller's Weekly Messenger the first Up Country newspaper. His body lies buried in the Old Stone Church Cemetery. — Map (db m9646) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-21 — Richard W. Simpson|
Born in 1840, Colonel Simpson, lawyer, farmer, and legislator, drafted and executed Thomas Green Clemson's will, establishing Clemson Agricultural College in 1889. Simpson was first president of the college's board of trustees and once owned land which became part of the Simpson Experiment Station. He died in 1912 and is buried in the Simpson family cemetery here. — Map (db m9682) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Tanglewood Mansion|
This property was this site of a private residence as early as 1830's. In 1860, John Baylis Earle Sloan and his wife, Mollie Seaborne Sloan, established a home that became known as Tanglewood.
The columns and the ruins seen today are all that remain of the site, which was first destroyed by fire in 1908. It was a piedmont plantation-style house, resting on tall piers and having large rooms.
The family re-built the home as a classical colonial mansion in 1910, reusing the . . . — Map (db m16616) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — The Piazza|
These extra wide porches, used for entertaining and enjoyment of he cool breezes, are called piazzas.
Seen on every piazza is a joggling board. In this country, the joggling board got its start in Charleston in 1803. By lightly bouncing, they were used to settle the "inners" after eating. The effect was the same as burping a baby.
On a more romantic note, the board played a key role in the courting ritual. The couple would state a date by sitting at opposite ends of the board. As . . . — Map (db m36306) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-17 — Thomas Green Clemson 1807 - 1888|
A native Philadelphian and leading agriculturist, Mr. Clemson was U.S. charge d'affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 president of Pendleton Farmers Society. He married the daughter of John C. Calhoun, Anna, and later bought the Calhoun home, Fort Hill. An advocate of the national land grant movement, he left his estate to establishing Clemson University. He is buried 50 yards south. — Map (db m9681) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson|
The paved brick walk leads to the gravesite of Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University. He was a Scientist, Agriculturist, Statesman, and educators. His gift to South Carolina of an Institution for the promotion of education in the fields of agriculture and Engineering is an enduring gift to the State, the Nation, and the World. — Map (db m13938) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson Parkway|
|Dedicated in 1979
in Honor of
Thomas Green Clemson
A Native Philadelphian and
Leading Agriculturist. Mr.
Clemson was U.S. Charge
D'Affaires to Belgium, U.S.
Agriculture, and the
1868 President of Pendleton
Farmers Society. An advocate of
The National Land Grant
Movement, he left his
estate to establish Clemson
University. He married
the daughter of John C.
Calhoun, Anna, and later
bought the Calhoun Home,
Fort Hill. He is . . . — Map (db m16617) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Willis Chapel Methodist Church|
|This is the Site of
Willis Chapel Methodist Church
Established 1883 — Map (db m52202) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Woodburn Historic House|
Memories of the Plantation Era -- Owners and Tenants
Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, elected Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina in 1822, made Woodburn Historic House his summer home around 1830. A graduate of Harvard Law School, Pinckney was drawn to the life of a planter. He became a member of the Pendleton Farmers Society, the headquarters of which still stand on the historic square in downtown Pendleton.
Members of the Adger family lived at Woodburn loner . . . — Map (db m15361) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-20 — Woodburn Plantation|
Some 200 yards west of here stands Woodburn, built by S.C. Lieutenant Governor Charles Cotesworth Pinckney by 1832. Dr. John B. Adger, Presbyterian minister to Armenia, bought Woodburn in 1852; in 1881 Augustine T. Smythe began a model stock farm here. Jane Hunter, founder of the Phillis Wheatley centers for working girls, was born in a tenant house here in 1882. — Map (db m9588) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Sandy Springs — 4-28 — Sandy Springs Camp Ground / Confederate Muster Ground|
Sandy Springs Camp Ground: This Methodist camp ground named for the large spring nearby, dates to 1828, when a fifteen-acre site was purchased from Sampson Pope for $45. Early meetings were under a brush arbor until a central wooden shelter and cabins were built about 1838. Entire families participated in revival meetings held here for two weeks every September until the last camp meeting in 1897.
Confederate Muster Ground: Col. James L. Orr's 1st Regt. S.C. Rifles (Orr's . . . — Map (db m10785) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Starr — 4-33 — Dean / Dean's Station|
Dean is named for the Dean family, whose cemetery is located about a mile west. Samuel Dean came to South Carolina from Maryland in 1786 and settled here in the Mountain Creek area along with the Cummins and James families. Dean and his wife Gwendolyn James raised a large family and his descendants have lived here for more than two hundred years.
A depot was built at Dean in 1886 by the Savannah Valley Railroad (later the Charleston and Western Carolina . . . — Map (db m11712) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Starr — Hartwell Lake Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, Savannah District|
| Project Data
The Hartwell Project, second in a series of multi-purpose projects planned for the Savannah River Basin, was constructed between October 1955 and December 1963 at a cost of about $90,000,000. The concrete dam rises 204 feet above the streambed. The main dam, including earth fill portions is 3.37 miles long. At full power, the reservoir is 660 feet above mean sea level with a surface area of 55,950 acres and contains enough water to cover 2,549,600 acres to a depth of one . . . — Map (db m57899) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Starr — Ruhamah United Methodist Church|
|1822 - 1976
Dr. William Glenn
The Church in the Wildwood — Map (db m53232) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Townville — 4-34 — Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church / Townville Presbyterian Church|
|Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church
This is the first known site of Townville Presbyterian Church, founded in this area in 1803 as Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church. The church held its services at members' homes until 1849, when the congregation purchased a frame building and half-acre site here for $1.50.
Townville Presbyterian Church
In 1877 the congregation built a new sanctuary in Townville, 2.5 mi. W. The church was renamed Townville Presbyterian Church . . . — Map (db m10784) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Townville — 4-1 — Portman Shoals|
One thousand feet due north on a site now covered by Hartwell Reservoir, the Portman Shoals Power Plant, built by William C. Whitner, began the transmission of high-voltage electricity in 1897 over the longest lines then used for that purpose in the United States. The success of this plant caused Anderson to be called "The Electric City." — Map (db m10783) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Townville — Saylors Bridge Seneca River|
|Named in Honor of
J.H. (Doc) Saylors
For his dedicated public
service to South Carolina
10th Dist. Highway Commissioner
Chairman S.C. Highway Commission
1960-1961 — Map (db m10845) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Townville — 4-37 — Townville Presbyterian Church|
This church, founded as Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church, was established in 1803. It met in members homes until they paid $1.50 for a half-acre tract and built a small frame church 2.5 mi. E. The founders cemetery there includes graves of early church families. The congregation moved here in 1877.
The church was renamed Townville Presbyterian Church in 1885. This sanctuary was called “a handsome wooden edifice” at its . . . — Map (db m39349) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — 4-3 — Big Creek Baptist Church 2 Miles South|
One of the oldest congregations and the mother of several others in Anderson County, it was organized in 1788 by Elder Moses Holland who served as pastor for 41 years. Dr. James Bruton Gambrell's mother was a member here. Soldiers of five wars lie buried in the cemetery. — Map (db m8441) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — 4-8 — Confederate Skirmish|
On May 1, 1865, cadets from the Arsenal Academy at Columbia, under Capt. John Peyre Thomas, who were en route from Greenville to Newberry to be disbanded, met a band of Stoneman's raiders near here in one of the last engagements of the war, which had begun in Charleston Harbor with shots fired from a post manned by cadets from the Citadel Academy. — Map (db m8395) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Gist Rifles Monument|
|Sacred to the memory of
the Confederate Dead
South Carolina Volunteers
Williamston Spring Park — Map (db m19663) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — West Allen Williams|
|In Memory of
West Allen Williams
1804 - 1857
Donor of Spring
This Water Shall by Forever
Free to All People — Map (db m15795) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite "To All Who May Come...Remember"|
| "Embraced by the gratitude of an entire community and held in the love and admiration of a descended family, here rests the earthen tabernacles of our beloved founder, West Allen Williams, and family. Reverently moved from a forgotten cemetery a few miles hence, they are laid here in honor and absolute respect on this Seventeenth day of November, in the Year of out Lord, Two Thousand and Two. Within the sound of our children's play, and in the shadow of our fellowship and recreation, we . . . — Map (db m19714) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston Saratoga of the South|
A South Carolina "Spa"
In 1852, following the discovery of a "healing" spring and the announcement that the railroad was going to be running through the area, the Town of Williamston was chartered. In time, lots were sold for houses to be built, streets were laid, and schools and churches were founded. several hotels were built and prior to the Civil War, Williamston became one of the largest resorts in the South. It became known as the "Saratoga of the South," referring to New York's . . . — Map (db m15719) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston 9-11 Monument|
|Somerset County, PA • New York, NY • Washington, D.C.
Through blurred eyes we find the strength and courage to soar beyond the moment.
We look to the future knowing we can never forget the past.
God Bless America — Map (db m19720) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — 4-16 — Williamston Female College|
This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of the founder, who died July 14, 1904. From an humble beginning there arose here a Christian institution of expanding influence, keeping faith with its motto: Puritas et Scientia. — Map (db m8440) HM|
|South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston Municipal Center|
| This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston in honor of West Allen Williams.
The Williamston Hotel was built on this site and in the late 1850's, the Mammoth Hotel was built as a cost of $100,000 which was an enormous sum of money them. It was the largest building in the state at the time . . . — Map (db m19733) HM|