|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — 44th National Encampment Grand Army of the Republic|
|From September 19 to 24 1910, about 45 years after the last shot of the Civil War was fired, the 44th National Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Encampment(convention) was held in Atlantic City. The G.A.R., a Union (Northern) Civil War veteran's organization, had in attendance over 18,000 of its 214,000 members arriving from across the nation, many still suffering from wounds inflicted decades before in the War Between the States. The days of the gathering were marked by parades, and meetings . . . — Map (db m36236) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — 87th Infantry Division Monument|
To the men of the
87th Infantry Division
Whose supreme sacrifice in the
world wide conflict for liberty
and freedom during World War II
shall not pass unheralded
Erected by the
87th Infantry Division Association
September 29, 1956 A.D.
Joseph Nash Belack
National Commander — Map (db m6890) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Absecon Lighthouse|
|Over the years, these grounds contained a variety of buildings that supported the Lighthouse operation. As you look around, envision the oil storage house with a greenhouse and sheds behind it, a square brick building housing the Weather Bureau to the left and the Life-Saving Station in the right corner. All these buildings were within the confines of the present corner property. Weather Bureau The Department of Agriculture Weather Bureau constructed a two-story building on the west side . . . — Map (db m46297) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Assistant Keepers’ Dwelling — Absecon Lighthouse|
|When Absecon Lighthouse was first lit in 1857, a principal keeper and assistant keeper lived on site with their families. The dwelling for an assistant keeper was built during the original Lighthouse construction. Interior alterations in 1887 converted the building to accommodate two assistant keepers and their families. Further exterior alterations were completed in 1893, giving the two families more space and privacy. The assistant keepers’ dwelling was demolished in the 1940s, along with the . . . — Map (db m46288) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Atlantic City Workers Monument|
|Dedicated to the men and women
of organized labor who lost their
lives while working on the
redevelopment of Atlantic City
We honor these workers
[List of 25 names follow]
"You will always be remembered"
Erected April 28, 1998 by the members of the Atlantic - Cape May County CLC–AFL–CIO on behalf of their fallen brothers and sisters. — Map (db m36947) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Camp Boardwalk|
|In commemoration of Atlantic City’s finest hour ... Dedicated to the thousands of men and women of the United States Armed Forces who trained, served and recovered here from their wounds of battle during World War II—and to the devoted citizens of Atlantic City and Atlantic County who served and helped to make them feel at home. — Map (db m5089) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Casino Control Act|
|On Thursday, June 2, 1977, New Jersey Governor Brendan T. Byrne signed into law the Casino Control Act, enabling New Jersey to become the second state in the United States to allow casino gaming.
This landmark Atlantic City event took place on this site, in front of historic Boardwalk Hall. — Map (db m7872) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Greek Temple Monument War Memorial|
|This monument was erected in 1922 by the City of Atlantic City in honor of those of her citizens who served in the World War · 1917–1918. — Map (db m6615) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Home of the Miss America Pageant|
Atlantic City Convention Center
"Home of the Miss America Pageant"
The Miss American Pageant
in commemoration and deep appreciation
of their love affair with Atlantic City
for the past six decades
Dedicated January 21, 1987
the Atlantic City Convention Center Authority
and the citizens of Greater Atlantic City — Map (db m5795) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — How Chicken Bone Beach Got Its Name — Historic Atlantic City: Missouri Avenue, 1900-1950's|
Between 1900 and the early 1950s, African-Americans were socially restricted to use the Missouri Avenue Beach Area.
Since many vacationing Black families arrived with chicken-laden hampers, the strip became affectionately named “Chicken Bone Beach.”
Visiting Black entertainers, such as Sammy Davis, Jr., “Moms” Mabley and the Club Harlem Showgirls enhanced the Black party atmosphere.
Chicken Bone Beach Historical Foundation, Inc. Email: . . . — Map (db m36900) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — James L. Usry — 1922-2002|
| Born in Athens, Georgia, this educator, mayor, professional athlete and longtime Atlantic City resident was affectionately known as “Big Jim.” He was a 6' 6" giant of a man who never raised his voice. Jim was a classroom teacher and school principal, rising to the position of Assistant Superintendent of the Atlantic City public schools, and a visionary of the Martin Luther King, Jr. School Complex. Usry graduated from Lincoln University in 1946 with a B.A. and received a Masters . . . — Map (db m37066) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — John Herbert Brooks — 1936 - 2005|
| An Atlantic City native, Brooks spent his early years in a life and death struggle with drug addiction. After conquering his own addiction, he worked to deter others from substance abuse. In 1969, Brooks co-founded NARCO, Inc., and, with volunteers, began to treat alcohol addiction. Several years later the group incorporated as the Institute for Human Development (IHD), a substance abuse program that set the bar for treatment programs across the nation. He served as the Institute’s Executive . . . — Map (db m37308) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Keeper’s Dwelling — Absecon Lighthouse|
|The light from Absecon Lighthouse first beamed out across the Atlantic Ocean in 1857. At that time, the Lighthouse consisted of the original keeper’s dwelling, a thirty-foot connecting passageway and the tower. In 1903, adding a two-story addition to the front, removing the attic and changing the roofline expanded the keeper’s dwelling. By 1933, the bright lights and rising skyline of Atlantic City had diminished the beam’s effectiveness. The Light was decommissioned. The keeper’s dwelling was . . . — Map (db m46304) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Lighthouse History — Absecon Lighthouse|
|The ocean waters off Absecon Inlet were considered some of the most deadly along the East Coast. Between 1847 and 1856, at least sixty-four ocean-going ships were lost off the coast of Absecon Beach. Dr. Jonathan Pitney, who promoted the development of Atlantic City, lobbied the federal government for a lighthouse as early as the 1830’s. In the first ten months after Absecon Lighthouse was lit in 1857, not a single ship was wrecked. When built, the Lighthouse stood about 1200 feet from the . . . — Map (db m46273) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — New Jersey Korean War Memorial|
|Freedom is Not Free
[Following the title is a list of New Jersey veterans who died in the Korean War. See link below for a list of "those who did not return."] — Map (db m5797) WM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Pierre Hollingsworth — 1931 - 2007|
| An Atlantic City native, he served in the Army’s 584th Medical Corp during the Korean War. He attended the New Jersey College of Commerce, Atlantic Community College and the New York Institute of Technology. He was one of five Blacks to integrate the fire department and to promote the advancement of its minority members. Hollingsworth was one of the first captains to command an integrated fire station, retired from the fire department at the rank of Deputy Chief, and then became the third . . . — Map (db m37284) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — POW / MIA Monument|
|Throughout history, we have answered
our country's call to arms,
for freedom, for justice,
for self - determination of an ally.
We have served and sometimes paid
in grim coin the price exacted.|
Through no fault of ours,
somehow we were left
on foreign shores.
Some of us lie in unmarked graves.
Some of us remain behind prison bars.
Some of us serve as slave laborers.
Yet all of us yearn to be
returned to the land of our birth.
Whether to live out the remainder
of . . . — Map (db m51206) HM
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Sara Spencer Washington — 1889 - 1953|
| A Virginia entrepreneur who headed north in 1911, opened Arctic Avenue Beauty Salon in Atlantic City. She expanded by teaching beauty culture door-to-door with products of the day, some self-styled. Madame Washington, as she would later be called, patented a hair curl-remover and later incorporated as Apex Beauty Products. That company would eventually manufacture more than 70 products sold by some 45,000 Apex agents nationwide. Her Apex School of Scientific Beauty Culture became established . . . — Map (db m37109) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — Spanish War Marker|
|"You triumphed over over obstacles
which would have overcome men
less brave and determined."
Presented by the
Auxiliary United Spanish War Veterans
36th Annual Convention
September 10-14, 1939
Atlantic City, New Jersey — Map (db m5790) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — The Life-Saving Station — Absecon Lighthouse|
|By 1872, the first life-saving station was in operation on the corner of the Lighthouse property. This simple building, with some periodic renovations, served until the second, larger and more ornate station was constructed in 1884. The new life-saving station was designed by Paul Johannes Pelz, the architect of the U. S. Library of Congress. The Atlantic City Life-Saving Station was one of four designed by Pelz, the others being at Deal and Bay Head, New Jersey, and Brenton Point in Newport, . . . — Map (db m46289) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — The Whaling Bark Stafford — Absecon Lighthouse|
|Before construction of Absecon Lighthouse, many ships and many lives were lost off the coast of Absecon Island. Even though the beam from this light lessened these losses, other disasters plagued seagoing vessels. The anchor you see here, weighing 1,805 pounds, may be one of two that were recovered by fishing boat crews working near Cape May. It may originally have sailed aboard the United States Navy Destroyer Jacob Jones, which was hit by German torpedoes in February 1942 and sank in . . . — Map (db m46291) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Atlantic City — They Called It “KY & The Curb” — Historic Atlantic City - Kentucky Avenue, 1933-1980's|
| For more than four decades Kentucky Avenue ruled the East Coast Music scene. The greatest jazz and blues stars of all time filled its many clubs with round-the-clock entertainment - including Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughn, Aretha Franklin, Count Basie, Nat King Cole, Atlantic City’s national treasure, drummer Chris Columbo and his Swing Crew in the forties and fifties.
[Photo captions:] As the other nightclubs called it a day, KY & the Curb was just getting hot. In the glory days of . . . — Map (db m36952) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Bargintown — Veterans Memorial|
|Dedicated to the Men and Women of Atlantic County who have served their nation in the Armed Forces of the United States. — Map (db m64272) WM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Batsto — Exploring the Pinelands — Pinelands National Reserve|
|The 1.1 million acre New Jersey Pinelands covering nearly one quarter of the state, is a region of varied resources and opportunities. The Pinelands is home to almost twelve hundred species of plants and animals, many unique natural environments, and a rich folklife based on its natural wealth.
Pinelands ecosystems include coastal wetlands, pine/oak upland forests, and white cedar swamps. A major influence on these resources lies within the sandy soil—over 17 trillion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m64194) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Batsto — Wharton State Forest — Pinelands National Reserve|
|Wharton State Forest, located in the heart of the Pinelands, is the largest single tract of state-owned land in New Jersey, containing well over 120,000 acres. Important natural resources, historic villages and recreational opportunities can be found at every turn.
Historic Towns In the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, a web of industrial centers thrived in what is now Wharton State Forest. Fueled by the natural resources, towns like Bulltown, Harrisville, Friendship, and . . . — Map (db m64192) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Belcoville — Bethlehem Loading Co. — W.W.1 (World War 1)|
|Administration Buildings-These 8 buildings contained police barracks, horse stables, garage, U.S. Army office, the telephone exchange, employment and dispensary. — Map (db m64271) WM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Egg Harbor City — The Roundhouse Museum — New Jersey Register of Historic Places Site|
|Welcome to the site of Dr. Smith’ Neutral Water Sanitarium. Before you is the focal point of the sanitarium, the flowing cedar waters in the serpentine creek. The site before you and behind you was the destination of hundreds of people from the surrounding area of New York City, Philadelphia and Baltimore. For more information, visit the Roundhouse Museum or contact us at http://www.chchs.org. Help us keep our history alive. — Map (db m64260) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), May Landing — The Presbyterian Church Mays Landing|
|Cornerstone laid in 1841 on land donated by Samuel Richards. Services began in 1842. — Map (db m64269) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Mays Landing — Fallen Soldiers Memorial|
|Dedicated to all those who gave their lives for their country. — Map (db m64268) WM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Battle of Chestnut Neck|
| In honor of the Brave Patriots of the Revolutionary War who defended their liberties and their homes in a battle fought near this site October 6, 1778 ---------- Dedicated October 6, 1911 Lower Plaque: Erected by the State of New Jersey through the efforts of Gen. Lafayette Chapter N.S.D.A.R. Commissioners Miss Sarah N. Doughty, Mrs. Jos. Thompson, Mrs. J.J. Gardner Forward Marker: In memory of those Brave Patriots who took part in the Battle of Chestnut Neck to further the cause of . . . — Map (db m10811) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Clark's Mill Meeting House|
|This stone marks the
site of the
Clark's Mill Meeting House
the first Presbyterian church
in Atlantic County
used until 1820 — Map (db m40603) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Early Meeting House|
|Clark's Mills Meeting House, built by Thomas Clark about 1762, where preached the Rev. John Brainerd, stood on site of Clark Burying Ground. Thomas Clark, builder of the church, Thomas, Adrial, and Parker Clark, Revolutionary soldiers, are buried here. — Map (db m40582) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Franklin Inn|
| Eighteenth century inn possibly built 1750 One time home of Sea Captain and privateer Micajah Smith — Map (db m10869) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Meeting House|
| In 1800, Micajah Smith built a Methodist Church on this site. Smith, a Revolutionary privateer captain, is buried here. — Map (db m10870) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Privateers — 1776 – 1783|
|In honor of the “Privateers” who sailed and fought for American Independence “1776 – 1783” “Captains” “Ships” Samuel Allen John Badcock Rainbow John Baudouine Governor Clinton Samuel Bigelow Whaleboat Andrew Brown Endeavour Nathan Brown Jack Samuel Brown Civil Usage Joseph Edwards Luck & Fortune Rufus Gardner . . . — Map (db m40339) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Port Republic — Smith's Meeting House|
|Built by Micajah Smith about 1800. Named "Methodist Union Chapel at Blackman's Mills" when incorporated in 1837. Micajah Smith, John Van Sant, privateer captains, and Jonas Morse and James Bell, Revolutionary soldiers, are buried in the Church Yard. — Map (db m40587) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Bass Harbor|
|Bass Harbor was a busy port for barges and sloops which carried produce, wood and ice to local businesses and residences. From privateering and smuggling, to clamming and fishing, to recreational boating, the bayfront has always played an active part in the economy of Somers Point. — Map (db m64277) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Bay Avenue Night Life|
|Gateway Casino, Tony Mart’s Bay Shores, Steel’s Ship Bar were all located at this end of Bay Avenue. They made up the musical heart of the bay-front, from the big bands and marathon dances of the 30’s and 40’s to the rock and roll greats of the 50’s and 60’s. — Map (db m64290) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Getting Around Somers Point|
|Due to its location on the water, this area has historically been a transportation hub. In 1717, John Somers, Supervisor of Roads for Cape May County, began work on the Nacote Trail. Now known as Shore Road, it connects Somers Point with Port Republic and Tuckerton. It also connects Somers Point with Mays Landing. This was the first of many area roads to have its terminus here and the ease of travel it allowed helped to grow this ship building port.
Until the middle of the nineteenth . . . — Map (db m64291) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Shipbuilding|
|Due to the deepwater harbor and the availability of timber, shipbuilding thrived along the Great Egg Harbor Bay from 1860-1890. Three-masted schooners, the likes of the Emma Cottingham and the 21 Friends, as well as sloops and barges dotted the bayfront. Van Sant’s at the foot of New Jersey Avenue was the last of the large shipyards. Boats were launched at the ends of Somers Avenue, George Street, and Delaware Avenue, Horses pulled boats from Sooy’s Boatworks at Pennsylvania and Shore Road down Delaware Avenue to the bay. — Map (db m64278) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Mansion|
|Somers Mansion, thought to be the oldest house in Atlantic County, was built in the early 1720’s. The first record of the house is in the Meeting minutes of the Great Egg Harbor/Cape May Society of Friends in 1726 when the group met at the home of Richard Somers.
The three story brick home is constructed in the Flemish Bond Pattern---a style of brick laying that alternates headers (short ends of bricks) and stretchers (along sides of bricks) in a single course. One of the building’s . . . — Map (db m64293) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — The Anchorage|
|Dating from the late 1800’s, this empire-style building was one of the many tavern-hotels in the historic district. Tourists came for fishing parties, sea bathing, hearty food, healthful sea air, and a bay view from the veranda. — Map (db m64280) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Transportation|
|Shore Road, completed in 1731, was the main artery for transportation and trade connecting Nacote Creek (Port Republic) to Somerset Plantation (Somers Point) and to Cape May County by Job’s Ferry. In 1880, connecting Philadelphia to Ocean City, stopping at Somers Point. The West Jersey Railroad connected Atlantic City to Somers Point. Trolley cars ran from Atlantic City to Somers Point on Shore Road, and the Shore Fast Line, circa 1906, made its way under the Shore Road Bridge and at the waterfront traversed the bay to Ocean City. — Map (db m64289) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Atlantic County Parks Along the Great Egg Harbor River|
|Canoe trips: Canoeists can enjoy 12 miles of natural pine barrens environment along the Great Egg Harbor River from Penny Pot in Folsom through Weymouth Park to Lake Lenape in Mays Landing. Trip length varies from 2 hours to all day, depending on put-in and take-out points and river conditions. — Map (db m64263) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Welcome to Atlantic County's Park at Weymouth Furnace|
|Welcome to Atlantic County’s Park at Weymouth Furnace which was developed around the remains of an early 1800’s iron furnace. These remains are an important link to Atlantic County’s rich history. This furnace turned out iron pipe and utilitarian pieces but was called to duty to make weaponry for the War o 1812, giving it national historical significance. A paper mill was operated at this site from the late 1860’s until 1887. Signage to help visitors interpret the history of his site is under . . . — Map (db m64264) HM|
|New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Weymouth Furnace — Atlantic County Historical Society|
|Early 19th Century South Jersey iron furnace. Iron was produced from “Bog Ore” mined in surrounding swamps and brought to furnace by small barges poled along canals. Iron Castings, Stoves, Pots and Pans were made. Weymouth cast cannon and ball for war of 1812 and first iron pipe for the City of Philadelphia. A paper mill was erected here shortly after the furnace closed in 1862. All operations ceased about 1887.
Weymouth Tract presented to Atlantic County Historical Society by Lake Lenape Land Co. Mays Landing. — Map (db m64262) HM|