HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Bamberg County Markers
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — Bamberg
Hooten- Black House & Bamberg's National Historic District The Hooten- Black House is the hub of art and history in Bamberg County where you will find changing art exhibitions, concerts, and lectures on Bamburg County history. The Hooten- Black House house anchors the northwestern end of Bamberg's National Historic District. A self-guided walking tour brochure with a map describes the 75 properties found within the Historic District is available at the Hooten-Black House. . . . — Map (db m32840) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — Bamberg County Confederate Monument
(West face ) CSA Confederate Heroes (South face) UDC " Lest We Forget " (East face) Erected by the Francis Marion Bamberg Chapter 1911. — Map (db m10330) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — 5-4 — Carlisle Military School
SC Methodists began an institution on this site in 1892 naming it Carlisle Fitting School, for James H. Carlisle, president of Wofford College 1875-1902. It served as a coeducational preparatory institution for Wofford. Col. James F. Risher (1889-1973) leased Carlisle in 1932 and purchased it 1938, renaming it Carlisle Military School by 1943. It educated young men from the US and many countries until closing in 1977. — Map (db m26427) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — 5-14 — Pinewood Plantation
Front This plantation was the home of Maj. William Seaborn Bamberg (1820-1858), planter, merchant, and the founder of Bamberg. Maj. Bamberg, a native of what was then Barnwell District, returned to this area from Georgia in the late 1840s. The town of Bamberg, called “Lawrey’s Turnout” or Lawreys, was little more than a stop on the S.C. Railroad before a post office opened there in 1850.

Reverse William Seaborn Bamberg, who built a store and depot at . . . — Map (db m47434) HM

South Carolina (Bamberg County), Bamberg — 5-10 — Woodlands
(Front text) Woodlands was the country home of William Gilmore Simms (1806-1870), the most prominent and prolific writer of the antebellum South, from 1836 to his death. A novelist, poet, historian, critic, and essayist best known for his novels about colonial and Revolutionary S.C., Simms was described as “the ornament and the pride of the State he loved so well” at his death in 1870. (Reverse text) In 1836 Simms, a widower, married Chevillette Roach (1817-1863) of . . . — Map (db m32008) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Denmark — 5-7 — AT&T Building
This Georgian Revival building, completed in 1923, at the cost of $300,000, was the third Denmark office of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. In 1898, long-distance lines from Virginia to Georgia, and from Alabama to Charleston crossed here, making Denmark an excellent choice for a switching station. This building, described as “the most modern telephone plant in the south” when it opened, carried calls from New York to Florida, and Alabama to the East Coast, for many years. — Map (db m19636) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Denmark — Denmark Depot
Denmark Beginnings The town was originally known as Graham's Turnout, when the South Carolina Canal & Railroad line came through in the 1830s. There were 16turnouts, or pull-offs for passing, on the line with watering tanks and woodsheds. Its name was changed to Denmark in 1893 in honor of a railroad official with Sound Bound Railroad. Denmark depot is still an active Amtrak station. Dairy in Denmark South Carolina Senator Stanwix Greenville Mayfield, a lawyer, was . . . — Map (db m14526) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Denmark — 5-6 — Voorhees College
[Front Text] Voorhees College, founded by Elizabeth Evelyn Wright in 1897 as the Denmark Industrial School, was an effort to emphasize a vocational curriculum for rural African American students on the model of the Tuskegee Institute. The school, with funding from philanthropist Ralph Voorhees, was renamed Voorhees Industrial School for Colored Youth in 1904, Voorhees Normal and Industrial in 1916, and Voorhees School and Junior College in 1947. [Reverse Text] . . . — Map (db m19639) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — A Tradition of Remembering, A Legacy of Preservation
Eleven years after the battle of Rivers Bridge, a group of local young men formed the Rivers Bridge Confederate Memorial Association and reburied the Confederate dead here, about a mile from the battlefield. The Memorial Association began to meet at the site every year to recall the battle and the fallen Southerners. This area soon became known as the Memorial Grounds, and the Memorial Association's annual service to commemorate the Confederate dead - a tradition that continues to . . . — Map (db m15671) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Bamberg County
[Photo of guest room] Ehrhardt Hall This restored 19th century mansion located in the town of Ehrhardt is a bed and breakfast and features six guest rooms with amenities including fireplaces. [Photo of Sinclair Station] Olar Sinclair Station In 1929, Rubye Morris opened this Sinclair Gas Station and today it has been renovated into a welcome center with exhibits on the community. [Photo of Denmark Depot] Denmark Depot The town has . . . — Map (db m27445) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — 5-9 — Battle At Rivers Bridge / Rivers Bridge Memorials
Battle At Rivers Bridge On February 2 ~ 3, 1865, as Gen. W.T. Sherman's Federals advanced toward Columbia, units of Gen. F.P. Blair's XVII Corps attempted to cross the Salkehatchie River at Rivers Bridge. The Confederate defenders there, in Gen. Lafayette McLaws's division of the Dept. of S.C., Ga., and Fla., delayed the Federals for almost two days. Each side lost about 100 men killed, wounded, or captured. Rivers Bridge Memorials In 1876 local men reburied the . . . — Map (db m7708) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
Invasion! In January 1865, Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman's army of 60,000 Union soldiers invaded South Carolina. Its goals: to link up with Ulysses S. Grant's forces opposing Robert E. Lee's Confederates in Virginia and destroy the South's ability and will to support troops in the field. Here, on February 2-3, 1865, part of Sherman's army clashed with Confederate troops along the Salkehatchie River. In the two-day battle of Rivers Bridge, Confederates made the most determined resistance . . . — Map (db m7437) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
Crucial Routes to the Heart of the State: The Salkehatchie River Crossings As Sherman's right wing- about 28,000 men underGen. Oliver Otis Howard- advanced up the south side of the Salkehatchie, Gen. Lafayette McLaws' Confederate division marched into position on the river's north side. Howard was to capture the Salkehatchie crossings, link up with the Union left wing and cut the railroad from Augusta to Charleston. The combined force was then to move on its ultimate objective --Columbia. . . . — Map (db m7440) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
Dig In Part of McLaws' division protected the middle crossing of the Salkehatchie at Rivers Bridge. This small force, consisting of a brigade of Georgia infantrymen, South Carolina cavalrymen and four cannons of the South Carolina Light Artillery, prepared a reception for Union troops attempting to cross the river. Their strong position -- a bluff overlooking a narrow road leading out of a thick swamp -- was made even stronger with temporary earthen fortifications. "I had, during . . . — Map (db m7441) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
"This Indescribably Ugly Salkehatchie " At Rivers Bridge the Salkehatchie flowed though a swamp a half mile wide. The only road through it was a narrow earthen causeway with multiple wooden bridges. The Confederates hoped the thick swamp and chest-deep water would hinder the Union advance. "a dog could scarcely make his way through the swamp" recalled a Union soldier. After the battle, Union Gen. Howard called the river " this indescribably Ugly Salkehatchie." "So immense are the . . . — Map (db m7455) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
Attack! Gen. Joseph A. Mower's Union division advanced rapidly to Rivers Bridge on the afternoon of Feb. 2 and charged down a narrow causeway. Confederate cannon fire stopped the attack and forced the Yankees to take cover in the cold swamp. The battle was on, pitting 7,000 to 9,000 Union soldiers against 700 to 800 Confederates. Even after reinforcements arrived, the Confederates were still outnumbered more than eight to one. "The enemy swarmed in great numbers to the edge of the . . . — Map (db m7456) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
A Running Battle on the River Road On Feb.2, Union troops moved up the road on the opposite bank of the Salkehatchie, fighting a running battle with the Confederate cavalrymen who tried to slow their advance. Among the casualties was Pvt. John B. Woods of the 3rd South Carolina Cavalry. Shot in the leg, Woods later bled to death at Rivers Bridge, where his unit took up position near here on the Confederate left flank. — Map (db m7457) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
A Vulnerable Stronghold The Confederates were confident they could stop another head-on Union assault. But they feared for the safety of their flanks, knowing they did not have enough men to resist attacks that might strike the ends of their thin line. "I can hold my position here, General, until next Christmas if you can keep them off my flanks." -Lt.Col. Edwin H. Bacon, 32nd Georgia Infantry, to Maj. Gen. Lafayette McLaws, Feb. 3, 1865 Abatis bristled from the front of the . . . — Map (db m7458) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
Death and Defeat As Mower's troops flanked the Confederate right, another Union division crossed several miles downstream to flank the Confederate left. Under a smokescreen created by a rapid artillery and rifle volleys, the Southerners withdrew. Before the retreat, a Union sharpshooter crawled close to the Confederate cannons and killed Lt. Simeon S. Kirby. Pvt. W.M. Larke borrowed a rifle to shoot the Yankee. "I took aim at the fellow and hollered at him," Larke recalled. "When he . . . — Map (db m7464) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Battle of Rivers' BridgeFeb. 2-3, 1865
The End is Near The Union Victory broke the main Confederate line of defense in lower South Carolina. McLaws' troops retreated to another line behind the Edisto River about 20 miles northeast of here, then continued to fall back as Sherman's army advanced. Two weeks after the battle, Sherman's troops took Columbia. Less than three months after the battle at Rivers Bridge, the war ended. " Again at the hospital I see the horrid results of every battle. Men mutilated in every . . . — Map (db m7467) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — 5-1 — Battle Of Rivers’ Bridge
Here on February 3, 1865, the 17th U.S. Army Corps led by Major General Joseph A. Mower and Lieut. Gen. Giles A. Smith attacked the Confederate division of Major General Lafayette McLaws and forced the crossing of Salkehatchie River, after a gallant defense by outnumbered forces which held up for two days Sherman's march through Carolina. — Map (db m11318) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Colleton County Confederate Soldiers
Colleton County In Memory Of Our Confederate Soldiers Who Here Gave Their Lives In Defense Of A Righteous Cause Feb. 3 and 4, 1865 — Map (db m53729) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park
Conrad Ehrhardt was born in Weiterade Kuhrhessen Germany on December 13, 1832 and left home at the age of 19 to come to America. He came with only 25 cents in his pocket and skills that he aquired from the mills, in which he had worked, in Germany. To strengthen his knowledge and mechancial aptitude, he did extensive reading on all books involving engineering and machinery. Once in America, he joined with other Germans along the Little Salkehatchie River on the Moccasin Branch where he operated . . . — Map (db m7602) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Ehrhardt HallBed and Breakfast
Ehrhardt Hall was built in 1903 with Victorian style architecture. The owner, Dr. James Haynes Roberts, born March 2, 1863, was originally from the Allendale area. Following in his father's footsteps, who was a self taught dentist and 2nd lieutenant in the Confederate Army, James graduated from Medical College of Charleston in 1887 after graduating from the Citadel in 1883. After beginning his practice in the Allendale area of Barnwell County, he decided to relocate to the booming town of . . . — Map (db m20908) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Four County WW II Memorial
In Memory Of Our Heroes Of World War II Erected by the Counties of Allendale, Bamberg, Colleton and Hampton May 1, 1948 — Map (db m57319) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — 5-2 — Mt. Pleasant Church
In 1835 St. Bartholomew Lutheran Church moved here from about 1 mi. south and changed its name to Mt. Pleasant. It is generally accepted that this congregation was organized ca. 1750 and that John George Bamberg preached there shortly after 1798. In 1873 the S.C. Lutheran Synod met at Mt. Pleasant in a new building since incorporated into the present structure. — Map (db m8795) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Our Confederate DeadRivers Bridge State Park
Most of the Confederates killed here were Georgians, and most were unknown when they were reburied. But the local community remembered them as " our Confederate dead, " the fallen heroes of a common cause. The monument placed over their mass grave in 1878 resembled a large tombstone, reflecting the grief of a region coming to terms with death and defeat. It became the focal point for remembering the dead and vindicating their cause at the annual memorial services. " In no other war in . . . — Map (db m15650) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Rivers Bridge Confederate Dead
( Front face ) In Memory of our Confederate Dead who fell in battle at River's Bridges Feb. 4, 1865. (Reverse face ) Soldier's rest, your welfare o'er, Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking, Dream of battlefields no more, Days of danger, nights of waking. Map (db m15652) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — Rivers Bridge State Historic Site
( Left side ) The Legacy of Total War From January to March in 1865 more than 60,000 Union soldiers led by General William Tecumseh Sherman marched across South Carolina. They brought total war to the state, destroying railroads, factories and farms and attacking civilian morale. ( Right side ) Sherman's march through South Carolina helped bring the Civil War to an end. For many Union soldiers, the march was an opportunity to punish South Carolina, widely . . . — Map (db m15646) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ehrhardt — 5-5 — St. Johns Baptist Church
(Front text) This church, established 1829 30, was first named Three Mile Creek Church and held early services in a brush arbor 4 mi. W on the Salkehatchie River. In 1839 it moved to this site donated by George Kinard, and was renamed St. Johns Baptist Church. A permanent sanctuary was soon built, some of which is still extant within the present sanctuary, renovated in 1865, 1938, and 1961. (Reverse text) In February 1865, near the end of the Civil War, Federal troops took up . . . — Map (db m32605) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Govan — 5-12 — Mountain Home Plantation
(Front text) Mountain Home Plantation, named for the hill on which it is located, was established before the Civil War. In 1859 Samuel J. Hartzog (1823-1890) bought the plantation from his brother Joseph (1826-1862), and built this two-story brick house that same year, at a cost of $2,993.08. It was originally a Greek Revival house with a full-width two-story portico and turned posts. (Reverse text) Cotton grown and processed here was hauled by wagon to the railroad at Graham’s . . . — Map (db m31942) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Govan — 5-13 — Salem Methodist Church
(Front text) This church, founded by 1818, held its early services in a brush arbor; the first permanent sanctuary was built nearby. In 1848 Capt. J.D. Allen sold this 4-acre site to the trustees for $1.00. The present church, built soon afterwards, has been renovated several times since. The cemetery dates from 1856; its first burials were young children of Henry and Mary Ann Hartzog. (Reverse text) Four members later became ministers: Revs. Charles Wilson (1802-1873), . . . — Map (db m32092) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), near Ulmer — 5-3 — Mizpah Church
Methodist Church established by 1832. Present 1856 house of worship is all that remains of pre~ Civil War Settlement of Buford's Bridge. — Map (db m19641) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Olar — Olar S.C.1894
Elisha, Henry, James H. and Richard Morris enlisted in the Confederate Army Apr 9, 1862, served in Co. G, 2nd S.C. Art'y for the duration of the war They were farmers, owning large tracts of land. Much of the land for the South Bound Railroad was donated by the Morris Families. The depot was located on the land of Richard Morris and named Hammond. A town evolved around the depot and was Incorporated by S.C. Legislature Dec. 23, 1891. A post office was . . . — Map (db m32657) HM
South Carolina (Bamberg County), Ulmer — 5-8 — Buford's Bridge
(Front Text) Buford's Bridge, the earliest settlement in what is now Bamberg County, was established as early as 1792, when William Buford maintained a bridge and operated a ferry over the Salkehatchie River. It grew throughout the nineteenth century, with several residences, four stores, two taverns, a boarding house, a Masonic lodge, and Mizpah Methodist Church here by the 1850s. ( Reverse Text) On February 3-5, 1865, as Gen.W.T. Sherman's Federals advanced toward Columbia, . . . — Map (db m7644) HM
35 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 141 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.