Approximately one mile south-southwest of here stood Fort Browder, a small wooden fortification built in 1836 for protection in the last war with the Creek Indians and named for Isham Browder, a prominent . . . — Map (db m60895) HM
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the . . . — Map (db m78123) HM
The Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H Shepard. The Plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was donated by citizens of the community and prepared at A.S. Knight’s sawmill. Other . . . — Map (db m60680) HM
The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935.
Rural members of Barbour, Dale . . . — Map (db m71804) HM
Barbour County On this site in 1833 was erected the first Barbour County Court House, a round log building 20 feet square. The first county seat was located at Louisville which had previously served as the county seat of Pike. This old Pike . . . — Map (db m81857) HM
George and Lurleen Wallace spent much time at Memorial Hall with their involvement in community events and the education of their children. They served 17 years as Governor and were the only husband and wife to serve as Alabama’s Governor. Wallace . . . — Map (db m62807) HM
This church had its origins in a mission station established by the Rev. J. L. Gay in 1844. On May 10, 1872 the mission was formally accepted in the Diocese of Alabama as Grace Church. Construction of a church building began in 1875 on a lot owned . . . — Map (db m60756) HM
County Seat of Barbour County
Clayton, the county seat of Barbour County is located geographically in the center of the county. The town was located at the headwaters of the Pea and Choctawhatchee rivers on the historic road . . . — Map (db m60772) HM
Jere Locke Beasley was born in Tyler, Texas on December 12, 1935. At a young age, Beasley and his family moved to Clayton, Alabama very near the Pratt’s Station Community in which his great-great-grandfather had settled in 1819. He served as the . . . — Map (db m82871) HM
John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle community. He later purchased a . . . — Map (db m60755) HM
This unusual house was built 1859 – 1861 by Benjamin Franklin Petty, a carriage and furniture merchant, who was a native of New York and a pioneer settler of Clayton. It was patterned after a design made popular by Orson S. Fowler’s book A . . . — Map (db m39121) HM
Church founded in 1835 and rebuilt in 1947. Union Baptist Church is the second oldest Baptist church in Barbour County.
In memory of Reverend John L. Dowling.
Loving husband and father. — Map (db m60800) HM
Established under an Act of the Alabama Legislature in 1907, the school was built entirely by local initiative. It was completed in 1910 and occupied initially in September of that year.
Consistently characterized by faculties of dedication and . . . — Map (db m71798) HM
Barbour County’s “Little Scotland”
In the 1820’s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of . . . — Map (db m89605) HM
Near here is old Spring Hill, the site of one of the polling places for the November 3, 1874 local, state and national elections. Elias M. Keils, scalawag and judge of the Circuit Court of Eufaula, was United States Supervisor at the Spring Hill . . . — Map (db m60894) HM
The Southwestern Railroad of Georgia was the first rail line to connect with Eufaula when the railroad bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula was completed in late 1865. In 1867 the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad Company was formed to build . . . — Map (db m48624) HM
Cowikee Cotton Mills, which operated on this site for over 100 years, was for decades Eufaula’s largest employer. The mill began in 1888 as the Eufaula Cotton Mill. In 1909 the Comer family purchased the business and renamed it Cowikee Cotton Mills. . . . — Map (db m89606) HM
At the dawn of the recorded history of this land, the Creek Indians owned it. Before the men who built the great houses and the men who made the laws settled this area, the United States of America ceded this land to the Creek Indians for “As . . . — Map (db m89608) HM
Lower Creek village of the Eufaula Indians antedating 1733. Early white settlers began moving into the village called Yufala in 1823. Irwinton chartered 1832, and renamed Eufaula in 1843.
Hub of a prosperous plantation region with thriving . . . — Map (db m48432) HM
The origins of this church date back to 1834 when Methodists, under the leadership of Jesse Burch and others, met to worship and formed a Sunday School. A frame Greek Revival edifice, at the corner of Livingston and Barbour Streets, was completed in . . . — Map (db m75188) HM
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — Map (db m33759) HM
Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First . . . — Map (db m46237) HM
In 1836 sixteen Eufaula Presbyterians met in a room above William McKenzie’s store to hold worship services. By 1838 the congregation had built their first sanctuary dedicated to worship on the southeast corner of Forsyth Ave. and Union Street. . . . — Map (db m60560) HM
This road marks the entrance into Eufaula of Federal Troops on April 29, 1865. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9. General Benjamin H. Grierson was advancing with four thousand cavalry from Mobile and was then about at . . . — Map (db m82872) HM
Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the . . . — Map (db m48376) HM
Front Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula’s early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying . . . — Map (db m27987) HM
(Front): First known as White Oak Chapel this church was dedicated on October, 18, 1859 by Rev. Issac I. Tatum of the Alabama Conference Methodist Episcopal Church South. The Society was organized by Rev. John J. Cassady who served as pastor . . . — Map (db m82873) HM
One of the oldest towns in southeast Alabama was settled in 1817 by Daniel Lewis who established a trading post and named the community “Louisville” after the first capital of Georgia, his hometown. By 1820 four stores, a Methodist . . . — Map (db m60768) HM
Near this site stood the old Pike County court house which was the county seat of Pike from 1822 to 1827. It also served as the temporary county seat of the newly created Barbour County in 1833, until Clayton was selected. Louisville was settled . . . — Map (db m60674) HM