Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Beaufort County South Carolina Historical Markers

 
1st SC Infantry Of African Descent Marker image, Click for more information
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1st SC Infantry Of African Descent Marker
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 1st SC Infantry Of African Descent
The 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment was raised from sea island slaves living around Port Royal. Elements of the regiment were formed on Hilton Head in May 1862. In August 1862, the regiment was reorganized near Beaufort at the . . . — Map (db m7094) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-28 — Battery Saxton
(Front Text): Battery Saxton, constructed here in 1862, was in the second line of earthworks built by Federal troops occupying Beaufort during the Civil War. Laid out by the 1st New York Engineers with the assistance of black laborers, it . . . — Map (db m6985) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-1 — Beaufort
. . . — Map (db m19642) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-10 — Beaufort Arsenal
Erected in 1798 and rebuilt in 1852, the Beaufort Arsenal was the home of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, commissioned in 1802, which had its roots in an earlier company organized in 1776 and served valiantly in the Revolutionary War. The BVA was . . . — Map (db m5664) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-26 — Beaufort College
(Text front) Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening . . . — Map (db m8705) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County South CarolinaCivil War and Forward
1860 - On November 7,1861 a flotilla of U.S. warships steamed into Port Royal and the "Cotton Kingdom" came to a swift and thunderous end. The planters were forced to flee inland, many never to return, abandoning homes, lands and slaves. . . . — Map (db m5941) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County, South CarolinaExploration and Settlement
1520 - 1711       In 1520 the Spaniard, Francisco Gordillo, sailing from Hispaniola, stopped near Port Royal Sound long enough to call the place Santa Elena. Fourty-two years later, in 1562, Jean Ribaut and his French Huguenots named the . . . — Map (db m5886) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County, South CarolinaColonial And Revolutionary Period
1711-1860 During the Colonial period the Beaufort district grew and prospered. Rice was produced for export on the mainland, indigo in the sea islands, shipbuilding flourished. The Parish System developed as the political basis and Beaufort . . . — Map (db m5935) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-21 — Beaufort Female Benevolent Society
The Society, founded in 1814 to educate and provide relief for destitute children, built this house in 1895 and leased it for many years, using the income to help the needy. Tenants included the Clover Club, which operated a circulating library . . . — Map (db m5681) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort Historic District(South Carolina)
Beaufort Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park . . . — Map (db m55130) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort South Carolina Tricentennial1711-2011 300
Beaufort 300 We celebrate and recognize the proud citizens who gave generously to create and erect these monuments to honor Beaufort's 300th Birthday January 17th 2011. (Plaque 1)    Prior to the founding of . . . — Map (db m67284) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Brigadier General Stephen Elliott CSABorn October 26, 1830 Died February 21 1866
Known for acts of bravery and outstanding leadership in the defense of Beaufort. This Memorial is erected by the Stephen Elliot Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy opposite the home in which this chapter was organized. — Map (db m5638) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686(First Permanent Settler of South Carolina)
Arrived Port Royal (Beaufort) 1666 with Robert Sanford's Expedition exploring the area. He remained with Indians and learned their language. Captured by Spanish, he escaped; later returned guiding the Port Royal Colony. On his advice the . . . — Map (db m30328) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — First Fort
On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" . . . — Map (db m5939) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-36 — First Presbyterian Church
Early attempts to establish a Presbyterian church in Beaufort, in the 1740s and 1880s, were unsuccessful.    The first permanent congregation was founded in 1912 by 16 charter members. In 1921, when it acquired this . . . — Map (db m65698) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Gettysburg Address
Address by President Lincoln At the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery November 19, 1863.    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to . . . — Map (db m61992) HM WM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-16 — Mather School
Shortly after the Civil War, Mather School was founded here by Rachel Crane Mather of Boston. In 1882 the Women's American Baptist Home Mission Society assumed support of the venture, operating it as a normal school for black girls. With some . . . — Map (db m6940) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-30 — Maxcy - Rhett House / "Secession House"
Maxcy - Rhett House This house was built circa 1810 for Milton Maxcy (1782-1817), who came here from Massachusetts in 1804. Maxcy and his brother Virgil, who founded a school for young men in Beaufort, later taught at Beaufort College. In the . . . — Map (db m5803) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Re-interred 19 African-American Civil War VolunteersMemorial Day May 29, 1989
(Tablet One) The Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Michael S. Dukakis, and descendant's of the African-American Civil War Volunteers of the 54th and 55th Infantry Regiments and the 5th Cavalry Regiment of Massachusetts, . . . — Map (db m20211) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Richard V. Woods Memorial Bridge
Dedicated in 1971 to the memory of State Highway Patrolman R.V. Woods (1935-1969) and all other South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers who died while serving in the line of duty — Map (db m15605) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-14 — Robert Smalls
Born a slave in 1839, Robert Smalls lived to serve as a Congressman of the United States. In 1862 he commandeered and delivered to Union forces the Confederate gunboat Planter, on which he was a crewman. His career as a freedman included service as . . . — Map (db m20144) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
" Here, in 1794, I had the happiness, instrumentally, to lay the foundation of a place of worship which composed of the best materials, and classes with the most neat and commodious Baptist meetinghouses in the United States." (Rev. . . . — Map (db m25958) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-22 — St. Helena's Church
(Marker Front): This Episcopal Parish was established by Act of the Assembly June 7, 1712. The first known rector, William Guy, conducted early worship services in homes of settlers. The parish suffered greatly during the 1715 Yemassee . . . — Map (db m5827) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — St. Helena's Episcopal Church
St. Helena's Parish was established June 7, 1712 by act of Provincial Assembly. First rector, The Rev. William Guy, was appointed 1713; Glebe lands of 50 acres provided 1717. Original church erected 1724; Enlarged 1770 and . . . — Map (db m25741) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-14 — Tabernacle Baptist Church
Tabernacle Church was formed by black members of Beaufort Baptist Church after other members evacuated the area because of Federal occupation in 1861. The church's lecture room was used for services during the war. In 1867 the black congregation . . . — Map (db m9964) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — The Baptist Church of Beaufort
Established as a mission of the Euhaw Baptist Church in 1795, Henry Holcombe, pastor. With Joseph B. Cook as pastor, the church was chartered as a Baptist church by the State of South Carolina on January 27,1804. At the beginning of the Civil . . . — Map (db m26102) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Thomas Heyward, Jr.
South Carolina 1746 - 1809 Soldier - Statesman Signer of The Declaration Of Independence — Map (db m5940) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Verdier House
John Mark Verdier 1759-1826 Builder Of This House 1795-1800 General Lafayette Spoke To The People Of Beaufort From This Portico March 18, 1825 — Map (db m19644) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — Bluffton United Methodist Church
The Methodist Society, organized in Bluffton, built the first church and parsonage on Boundry Street in 1853. During the Civil War, two confederate soldiers saved the church from being burned. In 1875 the church sold the building to the . . . — Map (db m39840) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — 7-2 — Bluffton, S.C.
Settled in 1825, as a summer resort of rice and cotton planters, this town was incorporated in 1852. Here in 1844 the was launched the protest against the Federal tariff known as the "Bluffton Movement". — Map (db m21553) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — #75001686 — Church of the Cross
The National Register Of Historic Places Church of the Cross South Carolina Department of Archives and History — Map (db m19786) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — 7-29 — Michael C. Riley Schools
(Front text):This is the site of two schools that served the black community of southern Beaufort County for most of the twentieth century. Bluffton Graded School, a small frame building constructed about 1900, was followed in 1954 by an . . . — Map (db m5853) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — 7-25 — St. Luke's Church
This sanctuary, built 1824 as St. Luke's Episcopal Church, housed an active Episcopal congregation until just before the Civil War. It was sold to the trustees of St. Luke's Methodist Church in 1875 and served that congregation since. St. . . . — Map (db m19645) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Bluffton — The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse
The name Barrel Landing (also spelled Barrell) comes from a nearby docking and landing area on the Okatie River initially used by early settlers of the Okatie community in the period following the Revolutionary War. Farmers and tradesmen used the . . . — Map (db m15320) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Frogmore — 7-32 — The Great Sea Island Storm
( Front text ) On the night of August 27, 1893, a huge "tropical cyclone," the largest and most powerful storm to hit S.C. until Hurricane Hugo in 1989, made landfall just E of Savannah, Ga. With gusts as high as 120 mph and a storm . . . — Map (db m8782) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Grays Hill — 7-5 — Battle of Port Royal Island
Near the old halfway house, in the vicinity of Grays Hill, on February 3, 1779, a force of South Carolina Militia, Continentals, and volunteers, including men from Beaufort, under General William Moultrie, defeated the British in their . . . — Map (db m14738) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head — 7-18 — Fish Hall Plantation
This plantation was part of a 1717 Proprietary landgrant of 500 acres to Col. John Barnwell. Later owners included members of the Green, Ellis, and Pope families. Nearby tabby ruins are remains of fire places of slave cabins. Graves of blacks, who . . . — Map (db m6625) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head — In MemoriamCaptain John Stoney — 1749 - 1821
native of Ireland, soldier in the Revolution, planter on this island, a founder of the Episcopal Church on Hilton Head, the ancestor of the Stoneys of South Carolina. Also of his grandson, John Safford Stoney, eldest son of John and Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m8571) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head — 7-18 — Thomas Fenwick Drayton
Confederate Brig. Gen. Thomas F. Drayton was in command of this area at the time of nearby battle of Port Royal, November 7, 1861. A brother, Capt. Percival Drayton, commanded the Union warship Pocahontas at the same battle. . . . — Map (db m9966) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-6 — "Robbers Row"
After the occupation of Hilton Head, a civilian town grew up to serve the needs of the large Union base and its garrison here. The town boasted a hotel, a theater, 2 newspapers, and numerous stores, centering along a street, officially . . . — Map (db m16550) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-7 — Battle of Port Royal
A decisive battle in the Civil War took place here on Nov. 7, 1861, when 18 Union warships with about 55 supporting craft led by Adm. S.E. DuPont bombarded for 4½ hours the Confederate forces in Fort Walker on this shore and . . . — Map (db m16504) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Charlie Simmons, Sr."Mr. Transportation" 1905~2005
Before the Island's first bridge, Charlie Simmons, Sr., became known as "Mr. Transportation" amoung the local community, which was made up of descendants of freed slaves following the Civil War. Until the late 1920's sailboats were the primary . . . — Map (db m41054) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-34 — Fort Howell
(Front ) This Civil War fort, named for Gen. Joshua Blackwood Howell (1806-1864), was built by the U.S. Army to defend Hilton Head Island and the nearby freedmen’s village of Mitchelville from potential Confederate raids or . . . — Map (db m49841) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Fort Howell - 1864
An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. . . . — Map (db m6801) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-8 — Fort Sherman
Completed in 1862, this large earth fort was designed to defend the great Union blockade base on Hilton Head against Confederate land attack. Named after the first Union commander here, Gen. Thomas W. Sherman, the fort consists of two miles of . . . — Map (db m15949) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-9 — Fort Walker
Hastily built in 1861 to protect the S.C. coast against Union attack, Fort Walker, commanded by Col. William C. Heyward, bore the brunt of the Union attack on November 7, 1861, when after 4½ hours, with only 3 guns left serviceable and . . . — Map (db m16519) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-11 — Hilton Head
A prominent landmark for mariners since the voyages of the early Spanish explorers, this headland was known to the English as Hilton Head after the voyage in 1663 of Captain William Hilton which led to their first permanent settlement in . . . — Map (db m16231) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Hilton Head Island Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all veterans who have served their country honorably, and have helped preserve the freedoms that we enjoy in this great country. From A Grateful Nation — Map (db m7015) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — History Of The Dolphin Head Area(Hilton Head Island)
(Left column) ¤ 15,000 to 4,000 Years Ago: The    rising sea level flooded the deep basin    now known as Port Royal Sound. ¤ 1531: Spanish explorers Francisco    Gordillo and Pedro de Quexos sailed    into Port Royal . . . — Map (db m63445) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-23 — Mitchelville Site
In 1862, after Hilton Head's fall to Union forces in 1861, this town, planned for the area's former slaves and named for General Ormsby M. Mitchel, began. — Map (db m6783) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-13 — Revolutionary War Ambush
In December 1781, returning from a patrol with the Patriot Militia, Charles Devant was mortally wounded from ambush near here by Captain Martinangel's Royal Militia from Daufuskie Island. He managed to ride his horse to his nearby plantation, Two . . . — Map (db m33789) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Steam Gun
Hilton Head Steamgun was the last of 13 produced - 8 land based and 5 ship borne. The 50 foot long, 15-inch diameter barrel propelled a 7 foot long, dynamite loaded projectile up to 3 .25 miles. Two steam engines powered an electric generator . . . — Map (db m16604) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Two Gallant Gentlemen from South Carolina
To honor the memory of two gallant gentleman of South Carolina. Thomas Fenwick Drayton; Brigadier-General, C.S.A. and his brother Commodore Percival Drayton, U.S.N., Captain of U.S.S. Hartford, and later the first Chief of Naval Operations. . . . — Map (db m16499) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-35 — William Simmons House
(Front text) This house, built in 1930, is typical in materials and methods of construction of those built on the S.C. Sea Islands from the end of the Civil War to the mid-20th century. It was built on land bought after 1865 by William . . . — Map (db m56892) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-12 — Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery
A Chapel of St. Luke's Parrish, established May 23, 1767, built of wood shortly after 1786 under the direction of Captain John Stoney and Isaac Fripp, was consecrated in 1833. Members of the Barksdale, Baynard, Chaplin, Davant, Fripp, Kirk, . . . — Map (db m6856) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hunting Island — Hunting Island Light Station
The Hunting Island Lighthouse guided mariners along the stretch of the South Carolina coast for many years. The first lighthouse, constructed of brick and completed in 1859, was demolished by Confederate troops during the early days of the . . . — Map (db m18568) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Mitchelville, Hilton Head Island — 7-33 — St. James Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1886 by former members of First African Baptist Church, is one of the oldest surviving institutions remaining from the town of Mitchelville, a freedmen’s village established here by the United States Army in 1862. The present . . . — Map (db m44098) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Palmetto Bluff — Palmetto BluffEvolution of a Village
People Have Always Gathered Here... We know from ancient shell middens found on these bluffs that Native American hunter-gatherers inhabited this site as early as 1564. Like today's residents and visitors, they appreciated the . . . — Map (db m20319) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Palmetto Bluff — Palmetto BluffWilson Ruins
The ruins that lie before you are the remains of Marion and Richard T. Wilson Jr.'s winter and spring home. The four-story mansion occupied what is now the Wilson Village Green and took approximately five years to construct. Once completed in 1914, . . . — Map (db m20367) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Aqui Estuvo España(Here Was Spain)
En respetuoso recuerdo de los Españoles que entre 1566 y 1587 dejaron aqui huella de su paso para gloria de España, y en agradecimiento a los Americanos benemeritos que hoy, con su trabaios rinden culto a su memoriay a la historia comun de España y . . . — Map (db m20988) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Barrow Hall
General Robert H. Barrow enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1942, and was assigned as an assistant drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diago, before being commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1943. He served during World War II in . . . — Map (db m20862) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Battle of Port Royal
On the morning of November 7, 1861, Du Pont's flagship, the Wabash led the fleet into action. As the Union vessels near the sound Confederate batteries at Forts Walker and Beauregard opened fire. Du Pont, having sent ships to test the enemy's . . . — Map (db m20380) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — # 74001822 — Charlesfort-Santa Elena Site
. . . — Map (db m20287) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Fort San Marcos
A year after the abandonment of Santa Elena in 1575, Spain, reestablished its colony on Parris Island. Fearing renewed Indian attacks upon their return, the Spanish brought with them a prefabricated fort, ready to assemble. After six days of . . . — Map (db m20936) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Fort San Marcos & The Ribaut Monument
The concrete pillars and the shallow depression here represent the outline and moat of a fortication excavated by the Marine Corps in 1923. The archaeological dig was supervised by Major George Osterhout who believed this was the site of the French . . . — Map (db m21039) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Japanese 75mm Field GunModel 95 (1935)
Designated for use with the Japanese Cavalry, the Model 95 Field Gun is a horse-drawn gun with split trails, hydropneumatic recoil mechanism and horizontal sliding wedge type breech mechanism. The 75mm gun weighs 2440 pounds and fires a fourteen . . . — Map (db m29867) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Jean Ribault Monument
Here stood Charlesfort, built 1562 by Jean Ribault for Admiral Coligny. A Refuge for Hugunenots and to the glory of France. Erected 1925 by the Government of the United States of America to mark the first stronghold of France on this . . . — Map (db m21687) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Lighthouse Keepers Home( Parris Island S.C. )
The ruins in the woods before you are all that remain of the Parris Island lighthouse keeper's home. Established in 1878, by 1881 there were two navigational beacons in operation here. The keeper tended both at night. At the rear beacon this . . . — Map (db m21726) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Northern Most Known Bastion of Spanish Florida
Less than three decades after Columbus had discovered America, on Aug. 18, 1521 ( St. Helena's Day ), Spanish seafarers from Santo Domingo sighted this magnificent harbor, named its Eastern headland the Punta de Santa Elena, from which the area . . . — Map (db m21253) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Parris Island Indians
Native Americans on Parris Island People have been living on Parris Island for over 4,000 years. Today, the prehistoric sequence is divided into four major periods. Each is defined by the lifeways of the time. Because these people . . . — Map (db m20601) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Parris Island Lighthouses
In 1878, two lighthouses and a keeper's home were built on Parris Island. Standing 45 feet high, the front range light was on the marsh flats. The much taller rear beacon was further inland. Together, the two served as navigational points for ships . . . — Map (db m21267) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Parris Island Lighthouses
In 1878, the United States built two lighthouses and a lighthouse keeper's home on Parris Island. The 45-foot tall Front Light was located on the southeastern tip of the island. Seen from the boardwalk, this area is the forested promontory to the . . . — Map (db m21542) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Parris Island Plantations
Taming the Wilderness 1715 - 1750 In 1715, Alexander Parris aquired what would come to be known as Parris Island. By 1722, Parris gave almost half the island to his daughter Jane and her husband John Delabare. Both families established . . . — Map (db m21410) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Peatross Parade Deck
Named in memory of Major General Oscar F. Peatross, USMC (2 March 1916-26 May 1993), who served with distinction in W.W. II, Korea, and Vietnam and was a member of the regiment that raised the flag on Iwo Jima in World War II. A former commanding . . . — Map (db m20713) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — The First Inhabitants
Parris Island Pre-History The first inhabitants of Parris Island were American Indians. From about 6,000 BC to 500 AD, these stone age people traveled throughout the southeast staying along the coast for only part of the year. Starting around . . . — Map (db m21449) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — To Purple Heart Recipients
Military Order of The Purple Heart 1782 • 1932 How can Man die better than facing fearful odds for the Ashes of his Fathers and the temples of his Gods — Map (db m87183) WM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Parris Island — Uncommon Valor
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima 20 February 1945 1  PFC Ira Hayes,USMCR Sacaton, Arizona MCRD, San Diago Aug 42 2  PFC Franklin R. Sousley,USMCR Flemingsburg KY 21 Mar 45 (KIA) MCRD, San . . . — Map (db m20660) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Pinckney Island — 07-19 — Charles Cotesworth Pinckney(1746–1825)
[Front]: Born in South Carolina, Pinckney was educated in England and served in the First and Second Provincial Congresses. A commander in the Revolution, he later served in the SC General Assembly, signed the US Constitution, and was . . . — Map (db m30536) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Pinckney Island — 07-20 — Pinckney Island
[Front]: Inhabited for some 10,000 years, Pinckney Island was known as Espalanga, Look–out, and Mackey's prior to about 1775. Alexander Mackey received two Proprietary grants for land on the island in 1710. Charles Pinckney later . . . — Map (db m6611) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Port Royal — 7-24 — Emancipation Day • Camp Saxton Site
Emancipation DayOn New Years Day 1863 this plantation owned by John Joyner Smith was the scene of elaborate ceremonies celebrating the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation. Hundreds of freedman and woman came from Port Royal, Beaufort . . . — Map (db m20312) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — 7-4 — Ruins of Old Sheldon
Ruins of Old Sheldon Prince William's Parish Church Built 1745-55. Burned 1779 by British. Rebuilt 1826. Burned 1865 by Federal Army. Named for ancestral home of the Bull family in Warwickshire, England. ——— Annual Services . . . — Map (db m26366) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — 7-27 — Sheldon Union Academy
(Front): Sheldon Union Academy, later Sheldon School, opened in 1893 on this site and educated the black children of rural Sheldon community for almost fifty years. The original Sheldon Union Academy board, which founded and governed the . . . — Map (db m5785) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena — 7-3 — Chapel of Ease
To St. Helena's Church, Beaufort, S.C. Built about 1740. Made a separate church after the revolution. Burned by forest fire Feb. 22, 1886. — Map (db m19647) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena — 7-15 — Penn School
[front text] One of the first schools for blacks in the South, Penn School, was reorganized as Penn Normal, Industrial and Agricultural School in 1901. As a result of this change, incorporating principals of education found at both . . . — Map (db m20294) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), St. Helena Island — In Honor Of Edith M. Dabbs and James McBride Dabbs
In Honor Of Edith M. Dabbs for her work and leadership in preserving historic documents and photographs of Penn School and for her contributions as author of Face of an Island and Sea Island Diary and James McBride . . . — Map (db m13432) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sun City Hilton Head Community — In Honor Of All Veterans9-11
(Plaque 1) Dedicated to The Memory and Honor Of All Veterans Servicemen and Servicewoman Who Have Given Their Full Measure of Devotation In the Armed Forces Defending This Nation [ Emblems: Army • Navy • Marine Corps • Air Force • . . . — Map (db m18236) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Tar Bluff near Sheldon — 7-39 — Combahee River Raid / Freedom Along The Combahee
Combahee River Raid On June 1-2, 1863, a Federal Force consisting of elements of the 2nd S.C. Volunteer Infantry (an African- American unit) and the 3rd Rhode Island Artillery conducted a raid up the Confederate-held Combahee River. . . . — Map (db m66105) HM

87 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement