HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Beaver County Markers
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — Aliquippa Works
Aliquippa Works of Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation production commenced in 1909 at this plant once the largest integrated steel plant. Over 14000 persons were employed here. Collective bargaining under the Wagner Act began here in 1937 as a result of efforts of local employees. — Map (db m48137) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — Baker Cemetery
This cemetery was established by George Baker on his land for his family and heirs. His was one of the first permanent families to settle in Beaver County. Cemetery is presently maintained by the trustees of The Blockhouse Baker Association. — Map (db m47788) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — First Colonial Residents
The first colonial residents of Beaver County lived nearby. Alexander McKee operated a trading post 1769 or earlier. Colonel John Gibson farmed land near his trading post in 1771 then went on to a great military and legal career. McKee became a Tory fugitive. — Map (db m47789) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church
Formerly White Oak Flats. Services were held in a tent on this site as early as 1793. The present structure built in 1976 is the fourth known building used by the congregation. — Map (db m45777) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — National Labor Relations Board versus Jones and Laughlin Supreme Court Ruling
In a landmark ruling on April 12, 1937, the United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the National Labor Relations Act in the case of National Labor Relations Board versus Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation The company had fired unionized workers at its Aliquippa plant here, but the court ordered their reinstatement and established workers' rights to organize and bargain collectively. — Map (db m40244) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — Ohio United Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1799 as the Flaugherty Run Congregation, the group met in tents or barns at various sites, in 1828 the tent was moved to the village of Scottsville. Erected in 1831 the first church was named for the Ohio River. The present church was built in 1952-53. — Map (db m45776) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — Tried Stone Baptist Church
Founded in 1910 by Rev. Onley and five members, was the first church with African American membership in the Aliquippa area. The present site was built in two phases. In 1922 Rev. Jones built the cellar. In 1945 Rev. Roberts built the church sanctuary. — Map (db m78298) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — American Bridge Company
This was site of American Bridge Company. Largest steel fabricating plant in the world. Division of United States Steel Corporation erected 1903. During World War II the Marine Department built LST landing crafts here. Closed April 1983. — Map (db m44495) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Anthony Wayne's Camp
Site of Anthony Wayne's training camp, for the "Legion of the United States" November 1792 to April 1793-his legion trained here to prepare for the Battle of Fallen Timbers on August 20, 1794. Wayne chose this site adjacent to abandoned Logstown, to the south. For 33 years Logstown was the six Indian Nations Capitol of the Frontier Lands. This event changed the course of American history. In half an hour, the destiny of millions of American people was altered by General "Mad" Anthony Wayne and . . . — Map (db m40230) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Harmony Society Cemetery — 1824-1951
On this site are buried 594 members and workers of the Harmony Society, the people of Old Economy. — Map (db m44499) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Harmony Society Church
Constructed, 1828-1831, with bricks made by the Society members, this is the second building erected for worship. It is believed designed by Frederick Rapp. The spiritual life of the Society centered here. — Map (db m40236) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Old Economy
Third and last home, 1825-1905, of the Harmony Society, religious community founded by George Rapp in 1805. — Map (db m40245) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Old Economy Memorial
Maintained by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission as a State memorial to the Harmony Society Organized February 15, 1805 Dissolved December 15, 1905 These buildings erected 1824-1831, comprise a portion of the third settlement by the society. 1st Settlement - Harmony, Butler County, Pennsylvania, 1804-1815 2nd Settlement - New Harmony, Posey County, Indiana, 1814-1825 3rd Settlement - Economy, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, 1824-1905 Map (db m40721) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Hill Cemetery
This cemetery was originally part of the Depreciation Lands (Leet's District), Tract #22, and was surveyed by Daniel Leet in 1785. Known as "McKean", it was patented to Governor Thomas McKean for his service in the American Revolution. After his death, the land was willed to his daughter, Letitia Buchanan, wife of Dr. George Buchanan of Philadelphia. On July 17, 1819 Jonathan Hill purchased the tract of land and designated this one-acre parcel as a family cemetery. The area had been used as a . . . — Map (db m46823) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legion of the United States Encampment
On the plateau, southwest of this spot, was situated the camp of the army of General Anthony Wayne. This army, known as the Legion of the United States, encamped at this place when on the expedition against the Indians west of the Ohio from November 1792 until April 1793. The expedition resulted in the Treaty of Greenville, which was signed in the summer of 1795. — Map (db m40299) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legionville
Gen. Anthony Wayne's army camped here Nov. 1792 to April 1793, preparing for the campaign which led to the Battle of Fallen Timbers with the Northwest Indians. — Map (db m56581) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legionville Monument
1792 1916 This marks the site of General Anthony Wayne’s Camp during the winter of 1792-1793 Erected by The Fort McIntosh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution of Beaver County, Pennsylvania Map (db m40300) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown
One of the large Indian towns on the upper Ohio was located nearby in 1727-58. Important conferences were held here between the British, French, and Indians in the struggle for the Ohio country. — Map (db m40240) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown — (1725 - 1758)
An historic Indian village, was located a short distance northwest of this spot. It was founded by Shawnees and later occupied also by Delawares, Senecas, Mohawks and Wyandots. Here in 1748 Conrad Weiser, agent of Pennsylvania, negotiated a treaty with the Indians, that opened the region west of the Allegheny Mountains to Anglo-Saxon influence and development. June 11, 1752, the Treaty of Logstown was made between the Iroquois Indians and the Virginians, giving the latter the right to build a . . . — Map (db m40298) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown
Located near here was the large Indian village of Logstown 1727-1758 important conferences were held and disputes settled between British, French and Indians in the struggle for the Upper Ohio Valley Territory — Map (db m44494) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown
A short distance southeast of this spot, along the banks of the river, was situated the village of Logstown one of the largest Indian settlements on the upper Ohio. It was the scene of many important conferences between the French, the British and the Indians — Map (db m56580) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Saint Matthew's Church
On January 1, 1838, Reverend F. Winter organized the German Evangelical Reformed and Lutheran congregation, later named Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church. Original log church 1840-1855. Present church dedicated 1855. — Map (db m49431) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Site of First Mass
Near here at the Indian Village of Logstown, Reverand Father Joseph De Bonnecamps, S.J. celebrated the first Holy Catholic mass in Beaver County August 9, 1749. The mass marked the beginning of Christianity in Beaver County. — Map (db m49429) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Agnew Square
For Honorable Judge Daniel Agnew, 1809-1902. Eminent jurist, author and respected citizen. Judge of the 17th District 1851 to 1863; then appointed to Pennsylvania Supreme Court, becoming Chief Justice in 1873. His home, where he resided over 60 years, faced the courthouse. — Map (db m40227) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Beaver County Fair Grounds
Beaver County Agriculture Society formed January 26, 1853. Site of annual fairs until 1899. Located between Leopard Lane, Otter Lane, Sharon Road and Fair Avenues. First board of managers: John Carothers, Thomas Thorniley, Thomas McKinley, Daniel Dawson, William Henry. — Map (db m49426) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Brigadier General William Irvine — (1741-1804)
Irish born, educated in medicine, Irvine practiced in Carlisle till the Revolutionary War. Led a Pennsylvania Regiment in important campaigns. In 1781, chosen by Washington to command western department, headquartered at Fort Pitt. Headed Pennsylvania militia in quelling the Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m40232) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Commanding Officers — Fort McIntosh
Col. John Gibson - 1778 Brig. Gen. Lachlan McIntosh - 1778 Lt. Col. Richard Campbell - 1778 Col. Daniel Brodhead - 1778-1779 Capt. John Clark - 1779 & 1781 Capt. Samuel Dawson - 1779 Capt. Robert Beal - 1779 Capt. Simon Morgan - 1779 Major Richard Taylor - 1779-1780 Capt. Benjamin Biggs - 1780 Capt. Addison Tannehill - 1780 Lt. Sam Bryson - 1782 Capt. Walter Finney - 1784 Lt. Col. Josiah Harmar - 1785 Major John Doughty - 1785 Major John P. Wyllys - 1786 Capt. . . . — Map (db m44746) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — First Court — February 6, 1804
Near this marker sat the first court in Beaver County. The court convened in a tavern owned by Abner Lacock. Judge Jesse Moore presided. His associate judges were Abner Lacock, John H. Reddick and Joseph Caldwell. David Johnson was Prothonotary. The following gentlemen were permitted to practice at the first session of the court; Alexander Addison; James Allison, Jr.; William Ayers; Henry Baldwin; Parker Campbll, Thomas Collins; Alexander W. Foster; John Bannnister Gibson; David Hayes; Henry . . . — Map (db m40234) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh
The first United States military post north of the Ohio. Located on River Road, in the area between Bank, Insurance, and Market Streets. Built in 1778 and scene of Treaty of Fort McIntosh in 1785; also a survey base. Abandoned in 1791. — Map (db m40235) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh
1778 — • — 1916 This Marks the Site of Fort McIntosh First United States Military Fort On the north side of the Ohio River —————————— Erected by The Fort McIntosh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution of Beaver County, Pennsylvania — Map (db m44745) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh
Fort McIntosh, 1778-1788, built by General Lachlan McIntosh's continentals of the 8th Pennsylvania and 13th Virginia, veterans of Saratoga, Brandywine, Germantown, and Valley Forge, and Virginia Militia, was the first fort built north of the Ohio by the United States. Headquarters of the largest army west of the mountains during the Revolution in 1784-1785, it became the first post of what was, except for small detachments at West Point and Fort Pitt, the whole United States Army. The Treaty of . . . — Map (db m44747) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Many famous names were associated with Fort McIntosh, including commanders Lachlan McIntosh, Danial Brodhead and Josiah Harmar, treaty commissioners George Rogers Clark, Richard Butler and Arthur Lee, geographer Thomas Hutchins, and presidential ancestors Richard Taylor, grandfather of Zachary Taylor, and Abraham Lincoln, great-grandfather of President Abraham Lincoln. — Map (db m44748) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — 1778 - 1788
[Left Side of Text]: First Home of the U.S. Army After the American Revolution was won, Congress authorized formation of a small regular army for general defense. This unit, formed under Col. Josiah Harmar, was named the first American regiment and was garrisoned at Fort McIntosh in 1784-1785, thus making this the first permanent post of the United States Army. Today's Presidential Honor Guard traces its proud origins to the Fort McIntosh garrison. [Right Side of . . . — Map (db m44750) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Much forged iron was found near this site, suggesting it was the location of the blacksmith or armorer's shop. The top edge of the slope, now greatly eroded, was much wider in 1778, and would have accommodated the shop and barracks, as well as the bastion at the southwest corner, only part of which is visible. — Map (db m44753) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Visible here are remains of stone fireplace hearths and a portion of the original footer for the south wall of the fort. Artifacts found here included USA buttons and artillery projectiles, suggesting this may have been officers' quarters and barracks for the artillery company of the 1st American Regiment in 1785. — Map (db m44886) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
The size and shape of the fort was confirmed by the angle of the nearby foundation wall, which matches the opposite wall on the west side. The fort was very large and well built, constructed of square - hewn logs laid horizontally on stone foundations, with the outer walls formed partly by the barracks and other buildings on the perimeter. — Map (db m44888) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh Site — 1778 - 1788 — Birthplace of 1st American Regiment
This marks the western boundary of Fort McIntosh, erected here in 1778 in defense of the western frontier. • • • • • Following the Revolutionary War, a treaty with the Native Americans was drawn at Fort McIntosh in 1785. The occasion was guarded by a new army unit named the First American Regiment. In recognition of its historical origin as America's first and oldest permanent army, the military unit posted here was later designated the President's Guard, known today as the . . . — Map (db m44734) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — General Lachlan McIntosh
General Lachlan McIntosh First Commander, Fort McIntosh President, Society of the Cincinnati in The State of Georgia, 1783-1789 Erected by the Society 1978 — Map (db m44737) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — King Beaver's Town
Present Beaver perpetuates the name of a Delaware chief and of his village near here. Its location along the Ohio-Beaver River trails gave it importance in the fur trade. — Map (db m40238) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Matthew S. Quay
Home of the noted state and national political leader is near here. He rose, between 1856-1887, from local and state offices to United States Senator. A Republican Party leader from 1887 until his death in 1904. — Map (db m40241) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Matthew Stanley Quay Home
This house, built by Samuel French, about 1845, was the home (1884-1904) of Matthew Stanley Quay. Born in 1833, Quay graduated at age 17 from Jefferson College. His first political office was as prothonotary. After a brilliant Civil War record and receiving a Congressional Medal of Honor, he served as secretary to the Governor, as legislator, Secretary of the Commonwealth, recorder of Philadelphia, state and national Republican chairman, and state treasurer. He was a United States Senator . . . — Map (db m49428) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — McIntosh Square
In honor of Brigadier General Lachlan McIntosh; born 1727 in Scotland, died 1806. Appointed Western Department Commander of the Continental Army by General Washington May 1778. Erected Fort McIntosh in the fall of 1778, serving as its first commander. — Map (db m40242) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Richmond Little Red Schoolhouse
In continuous service as a schoolhouse from 1844-1950. During its 106 years it exemplified the basic element of the American public school system of the 19th century, a one room school in which one teacher taught eight different grades. — Map (db m50886) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — The Tuscararas Trail
The great trail between Fort Pitt and Detroit was traveled for years by Indians. It was used by the expeditions of Bouquet's Royal Americans. Blackwatch. Virginia and Pennsylvania Militia in 1764 and McIntosh's Continentals and Virginia Militia in 1778-1779. — Map (db m50185) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Water Lot
Source of water to Beaver Borough 1802-1886. From hillside springs, pipes bored from logs carried water to the center of town. First reservoir, built 1845 from native stone, still stands. — Map (db m49427) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Chippewa United Methodist Church
Founded 1796 in home of Abraham Powers. Old stone church built 1800 north of here on Shenango Road. First interment in cemetery 1798. Following a fire in 1848 and ue to growth in church a red brick church was built in 1857 here on Old Sandusky Trail. — Map (db m133) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Geneva College
A Christian liberal arts college which was founded by the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America in Northwood Ohio in 1848. Was moved to Beaver Falls in 1880 to a site provided by the Harmony Society. Old Main built 1880 with native stone. — Map (db m136) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Homewood Junction
Founded 1859 as Homewood Junction of Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago and Erie and Pittsburgh Railroads. Named for Ironmaker James Wood. Incorporated in 1910. Post Office was known as Racine Pennsylvania. Historic Saint Cloud Hotel, Clydesdale Quarry, and Buttermilk Falls on Clarks Run are nearby. — Map (db m49401) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Ingram-Richardson Manufacturing Company
During 64 years, "Ing-Rich" became one of the leading producers of porcelain enamel products in the United States. Noted for durability, the company's output included outdoor advertising signs and "porcel panels" for building exteriors; it also made table tops, refrigerator and stove parts, and other products for the home. Founded here in 1901 by Louis Ingram and Ernest Richardson, it built plants in three other states. At its peak it employed over 1,000 people. — Map (db m40237) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Joe Namath — Beaver Falls Hometown Hall of Famer
Namath played 13 seasons in the American Football League and the National Football League for the New York Jets and the Los Angeles Rams as an All-pro quarterback. Widely considered to be one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. "Broadway Joe" as he was nicknamed, was a five-time All Star in the American Football League and 1972 All-Pro selection in the National Football League. During his professional career he led the Jets to an American Football League Championship in 1968 and a . . . — Map (db m57733) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Patterson Heights Incline
Operated between January 19, 1896 and 1927. One of the shortest and most unusual trolley car lines in the United States. The line operated with one car built by J.G. Brill of Philadelphia. A dummy car counterbalanced by scrap metal ran on a parallel track. — Map (db m49425) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Second Baptist Church
The church was founded by a small group of people under the leadership of Reverend Jordan D. Brown, in 1893. The church was chartered in 1919. Ground was broken for the present church in 1926 under Reverend G.E. Sallie. The mortgage was burned in 1938. A spirit of love prevails. — Map (db m51801) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — The Carnegie Library
Constructed in 1903 as the County's first library building. The building funds were furnished by an Andrew Carnegie grant and the site and maintenance by the citizens of Beaver Falls and the Big Beaver Falls School District. — Map (db m135) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver Falls — Union Drawn Steel
Founded in 1889 by W.A. McCool in Beaver Falls at Hartman Steel. First cold finished bar steel plant in Pennsylvania. Owned by Republic Steel 1929-1984. Later owned by LTV 1984-1989 and by Republic Engineered Steels, Incorporated since 1989. — Map (db m51802) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Bridgewater — Built Here In Old Sharon
Built here in Old Sharon were covered keel boats for a proposed expedition by Aaron Burr to annex the American southwest from Spanish America. Suspicions were aroused against him and he was tried for treason but was acquitted. — Map (db m45796) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Bridgewater — Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church
The church was founded in 1830 by former slaves and was first black organization in Beaver County Built on Mulberry Street in 1880. Destroyed by fire in 1900 and rebuilt in 1902. It was damaged severely by the 1936 flood. The present church was built 1990. — Map (db m45794) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Chippewa — McKinley School Number 3
Built 1872 on land owned by John McKinley. Pupils in grades one to eight attended here 1873-1929. Purchased by McKinley School Historical Society of Chippewa in 1992. School house now serves as a museum. — Map (db m50884) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Conway — Conway Railroad Yards
Built on land of the Conway family farm. This yard was put in operation April 1887 under the ownership of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The yards are over four miles in length with 100 tracks. Holding 5000 cars by 1957 it was largest automated yard in world. — Map (db m44491) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Buttonwood
Built in 1840 by Reverend Arthur B. Bradford, descendant of William Bradford of the Mayflower. Powerful abolishinist, consul to China, prolific author, minister, and a founder of the Free Presbyterian Church. Many famous abolishinists met here in the 1850 era. — Map (db m49420) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Cannelton
Settled in 1795. Named for the Cannel coal found here. Mine opened 1838. Homestead of Ira Mansfield, mine owner, author and state senator. Producer of shale oil for many years. Harmony Society built a railroad in 1850 to ship coal and oil to distant markets. — Map (db m49422) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Caughey's Mill
In 1808 Samuel Caughey bought from Peter Crowl 15 acres of land house stables and saw mill for 1200 dollars here on the Little Beaver. In 1812 he built a grist mill. He gave it to sons James and Samuel Jr in 1820. It was in operation until 1876. — Map (db m51799) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Chartered In 1798 — Brush Run Seceder Church
Brush Run Seceder Church James Duncan first pastor, held services in a 5 x 12 tent, later a log cabin. In 1811 a two acre cemetery created. The church relocated in 1848 as United Presbyterian church near Darlington, with B.F. Sawyer as pastor. — Map (db m51798) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Darlington Borough
Formerly Greersburg 1804-1830. Second Borough in the County 1820. First Presbyterian Church 1797. First Free Presbyterian Church 1847. First Greersburg Academy 1802. First lighted Polo Field in United States 1938. Important relay and supply station in stagecoach era. — Map (db m48087) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Elder's Mills
In 1821 Matthew Elder built the first woolen factory in this area and bought wool from miles around. He ran a large general store with an extensive trade. He also ran a flax seed oil mill. In connection with his brother William, he ran a grist mill. — Map (db m49424) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — First Permanent Structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church
First permanent structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian church. Structure built in 1808. The church and site was purchased by John McCowin in 1861 and remodeled into a home. Property purchased by Sarah E. Seanor in 1909 and still owned by her heirs. — Map (db m49418) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Foulks-Martin-Watts Mill and Bridge
George Foulks frontiersman built saw and gristmaills. Jesse Martin owned for some years. Reuben Watt and sons James and Thomas also ran it. The iron bridge placed on National Register June 22, 1988. — Map (db m62684) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Free Presbyterian Church
Protesting the slave holding decree of 1845 the Free Presbyterian Church was formed, and followers led by Reverend A.B. Bradford erected this beautiful church in 1847 after the Civil War in 1867 a jointure was made with the reformed presbyterians who still worship here. — Map (db m51800) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — George Foulks Home
George Foulkes Home oldest in area Captured by Indians in 1780. Escaped to help country. Outstanding character bold woodsman. Furbuyer Indian Scout and thrifty businessman. Married C. Ullery 1796. Built stone house, mills, and first brick house in area later known as Fennel House. — Map (db m49423) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Greersburg Academy
Reverend Thomas E Hughes recognizing the need for a school for the frontier obtained approval and full support from the Erie Presbytery April 13, 1802 to construct a building and form a seminary. He proceeded to build the so called stone pile and the school was chartered by the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1806 as the first academy west of the Allegheny Mountains. Reverend Hughes was the school master for the first four years. The academy served the area well over the next 100 years turning out . . . — Map (db m48135) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Greersburg Academy
Established with funds collected by Reverend Thomas E. Hughes erected 1802 chartered 1806 by the Pennsylvania State Legislature as Greersburg Academy ratifying it the first academy west of the Allegheny Mountains. — Map (db m48136) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — McMinn Mill
Site of one of the first mills built on the Little Beaver River. Erected by Robert and Mary McMinn in 1796-1797. Mary was said to be the first white woman to settle in the Darlington area following the treaty with the Indians in 1795. — Map (db m49417) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Mount Plesant Presbyterian Church
First site of the church where Reverend Thomas E. Hughes was ordained August 28, 1799 First Communion service north of the Ohio River September 1, 1799 The Erie Presbytery organized at this location April 13, 1802. — Map (db m40281) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — The White Cemetery
Founded in Cannelton by John White in late 1800's. Owner of coal and clay mines, friend of Harmonists, he was superintendent of Darlington Cannal Coal Railroad. Cemetery marked by Italian marble statue depicting White's daughter. — Map (db m49421) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Thomas Sprott House
Built by Thomas Sprott in 1804 on land granted him in 1802 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Named "Sprotts Delight," it overlooked the borough of Greersburg, laid out on the lands of Sprott, Greer, and Martin. — Map (db m49419) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Fallston — Townsend Company
Founded 1816 by Robert Townsend in Pittsburgh. Moved to Fallston in 1828 to make rivets and wire. The company added other product lines and became a leader in the fastener industry with twelve plants in the United States and Canada. Products were sold worldwide. — Map (db m45793) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Fombell — Bassenheim Furnace
One of the first charcoal blast furnaces in western Pennsylvania. It was built by Baron Dettmar Basse in 1814 and out of production in 1824 - it supplied iron for pioneer industries and was one unit of a self-contained community. — Map (db m49416) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Fombell — Fombell House
Built 1829 by Alexander Fombell on land purchased from Stephen Stone. Later passed into Phillis family. First Fombell Post Office located in house. Later moved to adjacent store, built in 1894. The kilns remain where handmade bricks were fired to build house. — Map (db m51137) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Fombell — Stephen Stone House
Built 1805 by early settler Stephen Stone III, a retired schooner captain who traded in New England and the West Indies. A nearby village, Stonesville was laid out in 1810. The house was in the Stone family until 1880. — Map (db m51136) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Frankfort Springs — Levi Dungan Land Patent
Levi Dungan, first settler of Hanover Township, blazed out a 1000 acre tract in 1772. The log cabin and a fine spring were surrounded by the stockade. His wife, Mary Davis, journied by horseback to Philadelphia in 1789 to secure the land patent. — Map (db m49701) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Frankfort Springs — White's Mill
In 1780 John White ran a grist mill on Raccoon Creek. Water power ran the mill until a 1912 flood destroyed the dam then steam power until 1920. White's Mill decided the boundary of Beaver County in 1800 to become the village of Murdocksville. — Map (db m51604) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Freedom — Freedom Boat Yards
Moving from Phillipsburg, Stephen Phillips and Jonathan Betz built a three acre yard for building of steamboats and barges in 1832, on land bought from Abner Lacock. The firm changed ownership many times in the next forty years. 138 boats and barges built here. — Map (db m47392) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Freedom — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran
Was dedicated July 20, 1870. Worship continued regularly until 1973 the church was razed for the new highway. Trinity merged with Saint Peter's of New Sewickley to form Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. — Map (db m47394) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Freedom — Vicary House
This three story mansion was built by Captain William B. Vicary. He was a Philadelphia Sea Captain who captured four British ships in the War of 1812. As a reward for war service the United States Government gave Vicary a land grant of 1,000 acres extending from Dutchman's Run to Crows Run along the Ohio River. Work on this mansion began in 1826 and was completed seven years later. It was constructed of massive dressed stone blocks quarried on the edge of the property and dragged by horse-drawn . . . — Map (db m47395) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Freedom — Wallace City
1890-1902 this area was part of an oil boom town with wells yielding up to 45,000 barrels daily. A spurline from a railroad running through Crows Run served the oil field. — Map (db m49430) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Georgetown — Georgetown
Most residents of the village of Georgetown worked on riverboats. In 1803 Meriwether Lewis and the Corps of Discovery stopped here to buy a canoe to replace a leaky boat. Lewis later discovered the canoe also leaked. The visit was celebrated in 2003. — Map (db m50881) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Georgetown — Saint Luke's Episcopal Church
First services held on a flat boat on the Ohio River around 1800. Saint Luke's, admitted into union with the Diocese of Pennsylvania in 1814, was visited by the first presiding bishop in 1825. Present structure built 1833. — Map (db m50879) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Georgetown — The Penna - Virginia Boundary
Survey was completed August 23, 1785. Surveyors for Pennsylvania were David Rittenhouse and Colonel Andrew Porter. For Virginia Andrew Ellicott and Joseph Neville. On September 30, 1785 the Northwest Territory Survey began on the north shore. — Map (db m50880) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Glasgow — The Sandy and Beaver Canal
This waterway was completed in 1848 to connect the Ohio Canal System with the Ohio River at Glasgow. Neither financially or technically successful, the canal saw little thru traffic and was soon abandoned. Many locks remain in Little Beaver Valley. — Map (db m51429) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hanover Township — Swearingen Cemetery
Victims of the last Indian murder in Beaver County are buried here. Samuel Swearingen settled here in 1785 and in 1790 near this site his only daughter Mary, wife of Jacob Colvin, and her infant child were scalped and killed. They are buried here in the family plot. — Map (db m51603) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Harshaville — David Littell House
Build 1851 on 1796 land grant called Chestnut Flats. Fourth house on this site. Tannery was operated here 1819-1860. Littells were among first settlers in area. Significant example of 19th century architecture. Named to National Historic Register 1986. — Map (db m49698) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hookstown — Frankfort Mineral Springs
Famous resort and health spa initiated in the late 1790's. The "Frankfort House" serviced patrons in the summer months for over a century and closed in 1912. The waters contained fifteen different minerals thought to have medicinal qualities. — Map (db m49700) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hookstown — Mill Creek
Mill Creek was an important part of pioneer life during the early settlement of Hookstown and the surrounding area. Numerous saw mills, woolen mills and grain mills utilized the water power of Mill Creek to operate, thus the basis for its name. — Map (db m53892) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hookstown — Site of Early Methodist Church
Early Methodist Episcopal Church circa 1832. Ground given for church use and free burial plot. Deeded in 1834 by Mathias Hook. Hookstown's founder and a Revolutionary soldier who is buried here. Summer subscription school held here in 1859. — Map (db m49699) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hookstown — Site of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver County Pennsylvania
The congregation was served by supply ministers from 1784 until the coming of George M. Scott on Sept 14, 1799 he served Mill Creek Church for 40 years and rests in this burial ground — Map (db m51602) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Industry — Cooks Ferry
Established in 1859 by George Washington Cook. Operated by the Cook family until 1918. Then sold to the Flemings. Bought by Christy and Morrow in 1919. Known as Shippingport Ferry until (last trip April 1964), bridge built across Ohio River. — Map (db m51427) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Industry — Native American Site 36BV9
Artifacts covering a span of 8000 to 9000 years were found here by members of the Amockwi Chapter 17 Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology in the 1960s and 1970s. This stratified site is located on a flood plain with periodic floods sealing habitats to 8-9 feet deep. — Map (db m51601) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Midland — Midland Education
In 1865 Neel School District was formed. Many years later in 1908 7th Street in 1914 1st Street and 1917 4th Street schools were built. In 1926 Lincoln High School opened. In 2000 Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School and 2006 Lincoln Park Performing Arts were created. — Map (db m44178) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Brodheads Road
Beaver Countys first highway constructed 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh as a supply route from Fort Pitt to Fort McIntosh Colonel Daniel Broadhead succeeded to the command of the fort in 1779 and his name was associated with the road. — Map (db m50887) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — New Philadelphia Society
Founded 1832 by dissadent members of the Harmony Society of Economy. The house on this corner was the home of the society leader Count Maxmillian DeLeon and is believed to be the oldest house in Monaca. — Map (db m45778) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Saint Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Constructed in 1832 by separatists from the Harmony Society, under the leadership of Count Maximilian DeLeon, organized as New Philadephia Society. 1840-First School Built. 1850-First Pipe Organ in Beaver County. — Map (db m45780) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Site of Thiel College
Endowed by A Louis Thiel and founded in 1866 as Thiel Hall by Reverend William A. Passavant. Chartered in 1870 as Thiel College of the Evangelical Lutheran Church with Reverend Henry W. Roth as first president. Moved to Greenville, Pennsylvania in 1781. — Map (db m45783) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Water Cure Sanitorium
Founded 1848 by Dr. Edward Acker. Used hydrotherapy or water to heal. First hospital in Beaver County. Town's first Post Office, 1856. Phillipsburg soldiers orphans school founded 1866 by Reverend William Taylor. Destroyed by fire 1876. — Map (db m50181) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Childhood Home of Edward Dempster Merrick
A 19th century industrialist, philanthropist, Civil War Veteran and founder of Merrick Art Gallery in New Brighton in 1880. Built in 1847 for his parents, Silas and Fanny Miner Merrick and family. — Map (db m50282) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Christ Episcopal Church
Sesquicentennial (1850-2000). Oldest continuously used church in New Brighton. Outstanding example of English Small Gothic Architecture in America. The church has a collection of superb stained glass windows by Tiffany. — Map (db m132) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Grove Cemetery
Incorporated 1859 Daugherty and Pulaski Townships non-profit - non-denominational. Here rest the founding fathers, noted leaders, family loved ones, veterans serving from the Revolutionary to the present. A Civil War Soldiers Monument "Where Past and Present Unite" — Map (db m50288) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Merrick Art Gallery
Founded and endowed by Edward Dempster Merrick Industrialist and Philanthropist Established in 1880 as a teaching and exhibiting museum for increased understanding of fine art — Map (db m45791) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Oak Grove Presbyterian Church
In 1890 the Presbytery of Allegheny approved the petition of Messrs. Charles J. Bonzo and Leander McCauley to organize a church at this site. A building was erected at a cost of $1,270. Services were held regularly until terminated by Presbytery in 1925. — Map (db m50286) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Pennsylvania Canal System
Beaver Division built 1831-1834. Two locks at Rochester, five in New Brighton and two at Eastvale overcame the falls of the Beaver River. The canal was extended to Erie in 1834. Canal traffic ceased in 1871. Few remains are visible today. — Map (db m45790) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Robert Townsend House
Townsend was founder of an early iron business in county. Being of Quaker stock, he was an active abolishonist. His home built in 1835, was an important stop on the underground railroad before and during the war between the states. — Map (db m50283) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — White Cottage
Home of Grace Greenwood (Sara J. Clarke Lippincott, 1823-1904), pioneer woman correspondent, poetess, and authoress. While living here during the mid-19th Century, she wrote many of her popular juvenile stories. — Map (db m134) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Sewickley — St. Peter's Lutheran Church
Saint Peter's Lutheran Church was organized April 9, 1849. Services were held regularly until 1973, when the congregation merged with Trinity Lutheran Church of Freedom to become Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. — Map (db m51796) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), North Sewickley — James Beach Clow House
Circa 1830 significant example of Greek Revival architecture. Served as an Underground Railway station prior to the Civil War. Listed on National Register of Historic Places by United States Department of Interior in 1989. — Map (db m49415) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), North Sewickley — Providence Baptist Church
This is the oldest Baptist Church in Beaver County, organized November 14, 1801. Elder Henry Spear, a Baptist preacher, delivered the first sermon in the log cabin home of brother Ezekiel Jones and his wife Hannah. Twenty-one pioneer folk attended. — Map (db m49414) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ohioville — New Salem Presbyterian Church
October 25, 1796, Reverends John McMillan & Thomas Marquis dispensed northwest of Ohio River to found church. 1797 services first held in tent then in log church nearby. Erected in 1850, the present building is their first church. — Map (db m50882) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ohioville — Smiths Ferry
Oil boom town in 1860s-1870s. Oil shipped here on trains and river boats from wells in the Upper Dry Run and Island Run oilfields. Town had a hotel store post office and train station. All gone today. Rockport School remains. Neaby Glasgow had oil refineries. — Map (db m44179) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ohioville — The Point of Beginning
No survey of the western lands of the United States could be made as required under the land ordinance of 1785 until the surveyors for Pennsylvania and Virginia set a marker on the north shore of the Ohio River. On August 20, 1785, that marker was set and concluded the north-south line between the two states. The original marker long since lost, was located 1,112 feet south of this plaque and was also know as the "Point of Beginning" for the survey of the western lands , which began on September 30, 1785. — Map (db m44181) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — About River Transit ... — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
The great Ohio River - and the Beaver River that flows into it - played important roles in attracting settlers to the Rochester area. Two hundred years ago, the rivers here served as main transportation routes, sources for industrial water power and shipping, and, of course, a food source through fishing. In those days, the waterways were very useful but also were barriers - without a bridge or a boat, people and towns remained isolated on opposite shores. Indian tribes and early . . . — Map (db m55923) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Always A River 1991
The northernmost point of the 981 mile long Ohio River flows along the banks here at Rochester. Nearby the Beaver River joins the Ohio proclaiming the spirit of Beaver County's motto Divided by it's rivers, United by it's people. — Map (db m44885) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Benvenue Manor
Benvenue Manor was built in 1816 by George Henry Mueller near the Old Venango Trail. Stone for the manor was quarried on the property. Saint Paul's Lutheran Church, Zelienople, was founded here. Also on the property is Sunrise Cottage, built in 1848. — Map (db m50287) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Daugherty Cemetery
First Catholic cemetery in Beaver County. Land given by Edward Daugherty for Catholic burials upon the death of his brother 1801. Transferred to sponsor parish Saint Peter and Paul, Beaver 1832. Burial ground for parish priests, Father James Reid and Father Francis Steffen and war veterans. — Map (db m50285) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — H.C. Fry Glass Company — (1901-1932)
Founded in Rochester by Henry Clay Fry President of the Rochester Tumbler and National Glass Company. Hundreds of skilled workers produced world renowned glass including cut, tableware, ovenware, art, industrial and optical glass of the finest quality. — Map (db m45786) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Industry Along the Banks — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
In the 1880s, the heart of Rochester lay on the flat stretch of land along the Ohio River. The main road, Water Street, was a perfect location for businesses for many reasons. Proximity to the rivers and railroads meant heavy supplies could easily be transported to factories, and likewise, finished products could be carried away for sale. Many factories also needed a water source for steam, cooling or washing during their production processes. Unfortunately, rivers at that time were also an . . . — Map (db m55906) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Joseph H. Bausman D.D.
Home of Joseph H. Bausman D.D. 1854-1924 author of best known and most used history of Beaver County 2-volume Published 1904 Pastor of United Presbyterian and congregational churches Rochester 1882-1907 Professor English Literature Washington and Jefferson College 1907-1921 — Map (db m50284) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Junction Park — (1901-1964)
Built by Beaver Valley Traction Company to increase trolley ridership. 2 roller coasters, carousel, diner theatre, dance hall, dark ride, and grandstands with a racetrack and ballfields. In 1929 an Olympic pool was added. The rides were gone by 1941 and the pool closed in 1964. — Map (db m51428) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Lewis and Clark
In 1803, Meriwether Lewis led the corps of discovery, 11 men on a keelboat, though Beaver County. They stayed overnight about 3 miles west of Beaver and stopped in Georgetown. This visit was commemorated by a reenactment in Rochester and Georgetown in 2003. — Map (db m44791) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Logans Town
Talgayeeta, a Cayuga Indian also known as Chief Logan lived here 1772. Logans sister Koonay married trader John Gibson here. Logans family was massacred by renegade whites at Yellow Creek in 1774. He then wreaked terrible vengeance on white settlers in Ohio Valley. — Map (db m44880) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Major General Joseph H. Pendleton
Born in Rochester June 2, 1860 to Joseph R. and Matilda Cross Pendleton. United States Navy Academy 1878. He fired last shot in Spanish American War. Camp Pendleton California named in his honor. Died February 4, 1942. Buried at National Cemetery Coronado, California. — Map (db m45789) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Make Way for the Railroad — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
By 1851 the railroad had arrived at Rochester. Rail transit had been developed in the year before and had finally spread through Pittsburgh and surrounding western Pennsylvania towns. Railroads were built on flat surfaces - one commonly flat location was along river banks - where land was typically level for long stretches. In Rochester, this meant that the Beaver Division canal boat cargo that was often packed onto steam boats for continued travel could now be loaded onto rail cars for . . . — Map (db m55185) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Oakland United Presbyterian Church
Oakland United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1870. A frame building was erected in 1872 on this site, donated by Thomas Boggs. Three pastors served the congregation: Reverend J.C. Evans, Reverend J. Patterson, and Reverend J.A. Hazlett. The church disbanded in 1909. — Map (db m51797) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Rochester Lodge Number 229
Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania, is the oldest Masonic Lodge in Beaver County. Meeting continuously since it was constituted April 11, 1848, a year before Rochester Borough was incorporated the Masonic Temple was built in 1884. — Map (db m45785) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Second Baptist Church
Black residents of Rochester, some former Virginia slaves employed at Park Brick Works, organized the church in 1894 on Jefferson Street. The present church foundation was built in 1904 with bricks prepared by church men, women and children. — Map (db m50184) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Spanning the Waters — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
Before bridges, ferry boats did a brisk business transporting passengers and their goods from shore to shore. But sometimes even ferries couldn't get through the area's frozen rivers in winter time. It was in 1815 that the first bridge spanned the Beaver River to connect Rochester to Bridgewater. However, this covered wooden bridge was blown down six years later. Its replacement lasted lasted only 50 years before it was lost in a flood. In 1885, a toll bridge was constructed that was . . . — Map (db m55159) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — The Michael Camp House
The Camp House erected in 1870 by Michael Camp, Jr. Believed to be the oldest continuing family in Rochester. Leaders in civic, religious and fraternal affairs. This was home to three county commissioners and four masters of the Rochester Masonic Temple. — Map (db m50183) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), West Aliquippa — Boyhood Home of Henry Mancini
West Aliquippa was boyhood home of composer Henry Mancini, who wrote scores for more than eighty movies, winning four academy awards and twenty grammy awards. Born in Cleveland, Mancini lived at 401 Beaver Avenue and graduated from Aliquippa High School. — Map (db m48132) HM
134 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 519 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.