Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bergen County New Jersey – Historical Markers

374 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 124
World War II Marker image, Click for more information
By Bill Coughlin, June 26, 2011
World War II Marker
New Jersey (Bergen County), Allendale — Allendale Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the memory of our boys who made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II 1941 – 1945 David L. Ceely John J. Fox Edward J. Hamilton Eugene A. Ivers Bruce S. Macintyre John A. Sawyer Harold W. Scott, Jr. Charles A. Yeomans Dedicated . . . — Map (db m43939) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Allendale — Van Houten-Yeomans Homestead
John H. Van Houten came to this neighborhood in 1792 and later purchased land. His son, Paul J. Van Houten, built this farmhouse about 1869 on family acreage. In 1870 he willed it to his daughter, Margaret Ann, the wife of John L. Yeomans, a . . . — Map (db m43788) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — Along the Palisades Riverfront
The background photograph shows Alpine Landing – here – known earlier as Closter Landing or the Closter Dock – around 1897. From before the Revolutionary War, a steep road through a break in the cliffs of the Palisades allowed . . . — Map (db m47509) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — 62 — Closter Dock Road
Laid out in 1761 by New York over an earlier route when that province claimed jurisdiction over this area. Used by troops during the Revolutionary War, the road led from Closter to Closter Dock on the Hudson where farm produce was shipped to New . . . — Map (db m7208) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — The Old Alpine Trail
. . . — Map (db m6969) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — Untangling Folklore from Fact
On 20 November 1776 British general Charles Cornwallis led 5,000 men across the Hudson and up a primitive farm road in the Palisades to begin the march south to capture the American fortifications at Fort Lee (A on the map, lower right). Word . . . — Map (db m47508) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — African American Baptist Church Cemetery
Francis Jackson, a freed slave, purchased 7 ¾ acres of woodland here in 1868. Later it would include the black cemetery and “a plain neat little church” built about 1873. The Pastor, Rev. Nicholas Fr. Jackson, lived nearby. The cemetery . . . — Map (db m7509) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — Old Slave Cemetery
Founded 1672 Rededicated May 17, 1964 Restored by the Boy Scouts of Bergenfield. — Map (db m7510) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bergenfield — 2 — South Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburg Dutch Reformed Church. First church erected in 1728, 150 feet to the east, the present building in 1799. The True Reformed Church was founded here in 1822. The church became Presbyterian in 1913. John Henry . . . — Map (db m7506) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Bogota — 3 — “Achter Col” Colony
In 1642, when this area was part of New Netherland, Johannes Winckelman built near here a ninety-foot long fur trading post and farmhouse – a building which sheltered both settlers and cattle. During the 1643 Indian war it was protected by . . . — Map (db m7128) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cliffside Park — Palisades Amusement Park
Dedicated to the memory of Palisades Amusement Park " Here we were happy. Here we grew!" "This is dedicated to the men and women who worked and played at Palisades Amusement Park, especially to the man who was its Spirit, its Shaker and . . . — Map (db m43656) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Closter Public School
In 1899 the schoolhouse property was bought from the Bloomer family. The following year a two story, square plan, Renaissance Revival style building was completed with 3 classrooms and an assembly room for grades K-8. In 1907, 4 classrooms were . . . — Map (db m7912) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 65 — Daniel De Clark House
Built about 1786 by Daniel De Clark, the frame kitchen wing was added in the early 1800’s. De Clark operated a large cattle and dairy farm on 170 acres of land. In 1815 son William was the owner and he sold the house to his grandson, Jacob D.C. . . . — Map (db m7916) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Hilderbrant Naugle House
Built in 1871 for Hilderbrant Naugle on a suburban lot near the Closter R.R. depot, the frame gable-front-and wing house is notable for the ornamental scroll work of Gothic design. Naugle was a carpenter and clockmaker who made improvements to his . . . — Map (db m7919) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Nagel – Auryansen Cemetery
This final resting place of early Closter settlers was established by Barent and Resolvert Nagel on their 1,030-acre tract jointly purchased in 1710. The first burial is believed to be Jan Adriansen, c. 1721. The Nagel brothers divided their land . . . — Map (db m63546) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 63 — Nagel (Naugle) House
Built about 1745 on land purchased in 1710 by Barent and Resolvert Nagel. The frame wing was added later. Owned by Barent’s son John by 1754 and later by grandson David Naugle, a militiaman during the Revolutionary War. In about 1784 David built a . . . — Map (db m7910) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — 64 — Reformed Church of ClosterBuilt 1862
Established as the “Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Closter City”, it was the first church erected in the Borough of Closter. Dedicated October 7, 1862, tradition says the church was the headquarters of the “Harrington . . . — Map (db m7917) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — The Closter Horseman
He saw the redcoats on the eastern hills. This Closterman who galloped through the mist to warn the troops encamped down the road at Fort Lee. His plow horse carrying him to glory on the most important ride in history, the hinge on which the door . . . — Map (db m63549) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — The Nauglel / Auryansen Cemetery
This active graveyard dates to the earliest settlement period of Closter’s history. Documented burials date to circa 1722 and include Dutch pioneer families with names like Vervalen, Naugle (Nagle), DeClark, Ferdon, Parsells, Auryansen, Demarest, . . . — Map (db m63551) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Closter — Walter Parcells Homestead
In 1795 Walter Parcells, a mason, erected this house of local stone on 34 acres of land on what was then known as Closter New Road. Built in the Federal style, it is 1½ stories high with a gambrel style roof. The frame wing was added later and . . . — Map (db m7915) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 5 — Benjamin P. Westervelt Homesite
The main wing of this house was built in 1808 by Benjamin P. Westervelt who served in the local militia during the Revolution. The site of this house has been continuously owned by the Westervelt family since early colonial times. General Erskine’s . . . — Map (db m7207) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — Camp Merritt
Established A.D. 1917 for use in connection with the port of embarkation at Hoboken New Jersey. Named in honor of Major-General Wesley Merritt Continously in service of his country July 1, 1855 to June 16, 1900 — Map (db m7495) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — Camp Merritt Memorial
In memory of those soldiers who gave their lives for their country while on duty in Camp Merritt. This monument marks the center of the camp and faces the highway over which more than a million American soldiers passed on their way to and from . . . — Map (db m7496) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 66 — Cap’t John Huyler’s Farm
In 1776, a 180 acre farm here was owned by Loyalist John Ackerson. It extended from the Tenakill to the Hudson, bordered on the north by the road used by British invaders that year. Seized as enemy property, it was bought in 1784 by Militia Captain . . . — Map (db m7212) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Cresskill — 4 — Huyler’s Landing Road
In colonial times a crude road led from here to a landing at the Hudson River. According to the reports and maps of Generals Erskine and Wayne this road was used by Cornwallis in attacking Fort Lee on November 20, 1776. On May 10, 1779 it was used . . . — Map (db m7206) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — 67 — Demarest Railroad Station
Built 1872 at “Demarests Station” on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey. Designed by noted architect J. Cleveland Cady, it was considered the “handsomest on the line.” The depot was built of Palisades stone quarried on the . . . — Map (db m7508) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — Douwe Talema
“Here lies the remains of Douwe Talema, who died on the 11th day of May 1779 in his Ninetieth Year. This aged Man at his Residence near this Place was wilfully and barbarously murdered by a Party of Tories. Traitors to their country who . . . — Map (db m63547) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Demarest — Sautes Tave’s Begraven Ground
Sautes Tave’s Begraven Ground Pre-Revolutionary Cemetery Placed by David Demarest Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30th, 1957 — Map (db m63548) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 6 — Derick Banta House
This example of Dutch Colonial architecture was built between 1780-1790 by Derick Banta, soldier in the American Revolution, after his birthplace here was burned by Tories. Owned by the Quackenbush family from 1792, it was sold to Isaac Dixon in . . . — Map (db m7507) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — In Grateful Remembrance
In grateful remembrance of the Citizens of Dumont who so nobly answered their country’s call to arms to fight in the Great War for Liberty and Democracy 1917 - 1919 [A list of names follow] Along this road Washington and his . . . — Map (db m7512) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Dumont — 7 — Old North Church
Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburgh Reformed Dutch Church. First church was built in 1728. In 1801 the present Old North Reformed Church was built, one mile north of first site, and continues as a Reformed congregation. This sanctuary is . . . — Map (db m7486) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), East Rutherford — Carlton Hill World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m62381) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Burdett's Landing1776
In the time of the revolution, the road turned here and followed the brook to Peter Burdett’s ferry, the important Hudson River approach to General Nathaniel Greene’s encampment at Fort Lee, on the hill, and the connecting link with the American . . . — Map (db m22101) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater Veterans Memorial
For Whom The Bell Tolls This Bell is Dedicated to All Veterans of Edgewater Who Served Their Country Honorably in Time Of War & Peace 1983 — Map (db m38961) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater Vietnam Veterans Monument
Lest We Forget This Memorial Is Dedicated To The Residents Of The Borough Of Edgewater Who Served In Defense Of Our Country During The Period Of The Southeast Asian Conflict May 28, 1973 In Memory Of Edward . . . — Map (db m38962) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater World War I Monument
* Farrell J.P. • * Murphy M. • * Regan W. • * Weir G.H. • Zaikowski A. • Allen Jack • Adams H. • Aarons S.M. • Burns Leroy • Bernhardt W. • Buckley Leo • Bobat S. • Baker Wm. • Berton G. • Burns B. • Blaustein M. • Blaustein H. • Bilanti A. • . . . — Map (db m38964) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Edgewater World War II Memorial
In Memory of the Men Of Edgewater, N.J. Who Gave Their Lives For Their Country In World War II Paul O. Allen • William E. Barber • William J. Conway • John J. Delaney • John F. Eager • Robert M. English • Benjamin L. Godleski • Alonza H. . . . — Map (db m38960) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — 68 — Ferryboat Binghamton
Built for the Hoboken Ferry Company and launched in1905, it plied the Hudson River between Hoboken and Manhattan (Barclay St.) for 62 years. This double-ender steamboat was designed to carry 986 passengers and a number of vehicles. It was in . . . — Map (db m9528) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Tsunesaburo Makiguchi
Dedicated to Tsunesaburo Makiguchi Visionary teacher and child advocate. He founded the Soka Gakkai in 1930 to promote humanistic education education based on Buddhist principles. He was arrested for opposing the Japanese military . . . — Map (db m38963) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Edgewater — Vriessendael
"Vriessendael" 1640 Colony of David DeVries The first known colony in present Bergen County was founded in 1640 by David Pietersz DeVries, a Dutch explorer, sea captain and patroon. Then part of New Netherland, the plantation included the . . . — Map (db m38959) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Elmwood Park — 69 — Van Houten-Hillman House
Built c. 1782 by Cornelius J. Van Houten as an addition to the earlier house of his father, John C. Van Houten. Located in “Slotterdam”, the farm stretched between the Passaic and Saddle Rivers and was raided during the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m43782) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Emerson — Emerson Veterans Monument
Let Us Hold in Honored Memory Those Who Served Their Country In the Great War 1914 -1918 [Column A:] Reginald S. Aberle • Frank Aurricchio • Anthony Bamond • Frederick Block • Dominick Brescia • Anthony Decker • Frank Decker • Charles . . . — Map (db m22165) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Emerson — 70 — Kinderkamack
An area which in colonial times included part of Emerson, Kinderkamack extended southward into part of River Edge. The name is found recorded as early as 1686. This portion became Etna in the late 19th century and Emerson in 1909. The road which . . . — Map (db m8634) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 74 — Brookside Chapel
Built in 1860 on Palisade Avenue as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, it was the first church established in the city. A new, larger church was built on the original site and the old building was taken down, stone by stone, and . . . — Map (db m7011) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 72 — De Mott – Westervelt House
Built about 1808 by Henry DeMott, this sandstone Dutch Colonial house was once attached to the pre-Revolutionary homestead of Albert Lydecker. Material from the older house used in the present frame wing built c. 1810 by Peter Westervelt. The . . . — Map (db m7133) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 8 — English Neighborhood Union School
This former school was originally built in 1818 near the Liberty Pole Tavern. In 1850 it was moved here and rebuilt with the original materials. This part of Englewood was then known as Highwood. The name Englewood School was adopted in 1897. It . . . — Map (db m7129) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 73 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1860 as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, the first edifice was erected on this site in the same year. It was the first church building in Englewood and the first Presbyterian congregation in Bergen County. Today’s . . . — Map (db m6970) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 9 — John G. Benson House
Built c. 1800 by John G. Benson, a farmer, and from 1794 to 1797, a captain in the militia. This house, an example of post-Revolutionary War Dutch Colonial architecture, was built on property confiscated by New Jersey from the Reverend Garret . . . — Map (db m7009) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 71 — Liberty Pole
This area named for a Liberty Pole erected here before the Revolution. The strategic junction was the scene of many American and British troop movements, including the 1776 retreat of the Continental Army from Fort Lee, and British activity in 1776 . . . — Map (db m7012) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — Liberty Pole
The Liberty Pole erected here in 1766 to celebrate repeal of Stamp Act has been replaced several times. Present one, 1964. — Map (db m7013) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood — 75 — Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
Organized in 1865, the congregation first met in homes and in the armory on Van Brunt St. The original church was built in 1866. The present chapel was erected in 1895 as a parish hall. Today’s Gothic church structure, built in 1899, has the rose . . . — Map (db m7010) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Englewood Cliffs — Bathing in the Hudson
This photograph was taken here at “Bloomer’s Beach” in the summer of 1932. From the Park’s Annual Report for that year: “The bathing beaches and bath houses were open to the public from the latter part of May until Labor Day. . . . — Map (db m64906) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Cadmus House Museum
Built about 1806 by Jacob Haring and purchased by Thomas Cadmus in 1816. He was a farmer who owned adjacent land and today the house is known by his name. There were many later owners and in the 1920s it became a commercial property. The two-room . . . — Map (db m62967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Fair Lawn Memorial Park
This Park is dedicated As a living memorial to those of Fair Lawn who made the supreme sacrifice in defense of their country the United States of America Dedicated May 29, 1949 — Map (db m63477) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Holocaust and World War II Memorial
This plaque is dedicated to the millions who perished because of hate and intolerance, and the millions who gave their lives defending humanity in the war from 1939-1945. Those who forget history are bound to repeat it. Presented to: The Borough . . . — Map (db m63374) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Honor RollDedicated to These Fair Lawn Residents Who Died in Defense of America
WORLD WAR I Harry Cappendycke - Army - Oct. 8, 1918 Daniel S. Yeomans - Army - Oct. 8, 1918 Charles Marshner - Army - Oct. 14, 1918 WORLD WAR II Ellsworth Smith - Army - Sep. 9, 1942 William M. Cozine Jr. - Air Force - Feb. 6, 1943 . . . — Map (db m63380) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — In Memory of Fair Lawn Police Officer Mary Ann ColluraWho on this Hallowed Ground Gave Her Life in the Line-of-Duty on April 17, 2003
"Set your goals high. Work hard and believe in yourself and you can be whatever you want." Mary Ann Collura. Dedicated by the grateful Residents of Bergen County — Map (db m63048) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Jewish War Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women of Jewish faith who gave their lives in the service of their country. Placed in their memory by the Lt. James I. Platt Post No. 651 Jewish War Veterans of the United States August 19, . . . — Map (db m63528) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Morlot Ave - 33rd St. Bridge Over the Passaic RiverBetween the Borough of Fair Lawn, Bergen County and the City of Paterson, Passaic County
Reflecting the need for additional river crossings as the area grew in the late 19th century, the contract for the original bridge was awarded in July 1890 to Riverside Bridge and Iron Works of Paterson, N.J. for $8,895. This original bridge was . . . — Map (db m62435) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 10 — Naugle House
This colonial home was built in the 18th century by a Naugle. He was said to have been a paymaster in Layayette’s Light Division. The house served as a landmark on many Revolutionary War maps. It is believed that Lafayette visited here in 1824. . . . — Map (db m63050) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Radburn1929
Included in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places, Radburn achieved its special place in the realm of community planning and architecture as a forerunner in new town planning and cluster development. . . . — Map (db m63527) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Radburn StationDate: 1930 — Clarence S. Stein, Architect
Radburn Station, located in the Borough of Fair Lawn, was built in 1930 and designed by the architect Clarence S. Stein. Stylistically, the building is significant since the station is a fine example of the Dutch Colonial Revival trend in . . . — Map (db m62968) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — 76 — Site of Hopper-Croucher Homestead
One of the last farmsteads in Fair Lawn stood on this site. The house built by Henry A. Hopper in 1855 was razed for road improvement in 1989. He was a Sheriff and Freeholder of Bergen County and served in the State Legislature. In 1919 William M. . . . — Map (db m63049) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — Slave House
On this site stood what was known as "The Slave House" Part of the Acker estate "Fair Lawn" from which the borough received its name. The "Slave House" was built much earlier than the 1865 Acker home and may have been used as a shelter for . . . — Map (db m63295) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fair Lawn — We Will Never Forget
This piece of steel from the World Trade Center is in memory of those residents who perished that day and to the brave men and women who gave their lives to save so many others. Their courage and love of our country will be a source of strength . . . — Map (db m63391) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Abatis Construction at Fort Lee
Fortifications were protected by obstacles, such as an abatis, or other major hindrances to assaulting troops. They were easily placed before a parapet, or breastwork, wherever trees were plentiful and were used to supplement defensive rampart walls . . . — Map (db m7735) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — American Éclair StudiosLinwood Avenue • Fort Lee, NJ — Film History Was Made Here
          In 1911, the Société Francaise des Films et Cinematographs Éclair purchased land on the west side of Linwood Avenue for the construction of a motion picture studio in downtown Fort Lee. Éclair was a manufacturer of film and film . . . — Map (db m54901) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Cannons
The word “cannon” is derived from the Latin canna, meaning tube, pipe or gun and dates back to the 13th Century. In the 1400’s, the term described a cylinder made from iron bars “soldered” together and fortified with . . . — Map (db m7737) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Christopher Columbus Memorial Plaza
Christopher Columbus Memorial Plaza Dedicated Oct. 11, 1971 Leonardo da Vinci Society Bergen County New Jersey ( Lower Plaques : ) Granite Monument donated by Anthony K. Macagna Bronze sculpture donated by Adeline Bracco in memory of . . . — Map (db m62906) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — F. F. Fred CavaliereEngine Company No. 1 — In Memorium
Killed in the Line of Duty at the Evans Film Fire – February 7th, 1925 Linwood Ave. & Main St. • Fort Lee, N.J.           On Saturday, February 7, 1925 the department responded to a fire at the National Evans Film Laboratory located at . . . — Map (db m54910) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Fort Lee Historic Park
Beneath these cliffs, Henry Hudson’s Half-Moon was welcomed by the Lenni Lenape Indians on September 3, 1609. Nearly 167 years later, this giant Bluff Rock became a strategic stronghold in the American War for Independence as the conflict raged . . . — Map (db m7707) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Fort Lee Road
Fort Lee Road (Main Street) was the main roadway to General Washington’s Headquarters in Hackensack. Supplies and men were in constant movement on the road to re-supply Fort Washington in New York. The Continental Army began it’s “Retreat to . . . — Map (db m7657) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General George Washington1732-1799
General Washington was in Fort Lee many times during the Battle of New York. His main headquarters was in Hackensack, but had a temporary headquarters in Fort Lee near Anderson Avenue and Elizabeth Street. His main objective in Fort Lee was to . . . — Map (db m7647) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Henry Knox1750-1806
General Knox was the Commander of the Continental Army Artillery. He was in charge of the placement of the artillery cannons on the palisades in Fort Lee. His main objective was to stop the British fleet from sailing up the Hudson River. He was one . . . — Map (db m7650) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Horatio Gates1727-1806
General Gates was commissioned a Brigadier General and was appointed Adjutant General of the Continental Army in 1775 by orders of General Washington. He was in Fort Lee with General Washington in October 1776. — Map (db m7652) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Hugh Mercer1726-1777
Fort Lee was constructed by General Mercer on October 18, 1776 on orders from General George Washington. Originally called Fort Constitution, it was re-christened Fort Lee in honor of General Charles Lee, second in command of the Continental Army, . . . — Map (db m7653) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General John “Black Jack” Pershing1860-1948
Spanish American War Mexican Expedition General of the Armies World War I Attended the dedication of Monument Park as keynote speaker in 1908 — Map (db m7656) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — General Nathaniel Greene1742-1786
General Greene took command of Fort Lee on September 17, 1776 from General James Iwing. At that time there were around 2,667 troops stationed in Fort Lee. The encampment was the main quartermaster post for supplying men and equipment to Fort . . . — Map (db m7648) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Historical Chronology 1776
(1) July 12 - Fort Lee’s fortifications laid out. Together with Fort Washington on the opposite bank and aided by a river barrier, the twin fortresses are intended to thwart British control of the Hudson. (2) July12 - General Howe’s forces . . . — Map (db m7745) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m70392) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Military Magazine
The military magazine derives its name from the Arabic word, “Makhazin”, meaning granary, or storehouse. Revolutionary War magazines were constructed with emphasis on fire and waterproofing, easy accessibility to the guns serviced . . . — Map (db m7742) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Mortar Battery
Mortar shells from this battery plummeted down in high soaring arcs upon the warships, tearing through the canvas sails and bursting upon the wooden deck. This mortar battery, joined with heavy guns on both sides of the River, made running the . . . — Map (db m7705) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Musketry Breastwork
This defensive breastwork was built on the western edge of the bluff and guarded the road from Burdette’s Ferry to the west (to the Bastion). The parapets of timber filled with soil were built upon a stone base and were sufficient height to afford . . . — Map (db m7710) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Old Army Road
Old Army Road, now called Palisade Road, was used by General Washington and his staff to reach the palisades for observing movement on the Hudson River crossings and New York. The road was also used to re-supply General Knox’s artillery positioned . . . — Map (db m7658) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Palisades Interstate Park
Palisades Interstate Park has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the History of the United . . . — Map (db m7344) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Preserving the Palisades
Through the 1890s, quarries blasted the Palisades for stone to make gravel and concrete. The largest of these, Carpenter Brothers’ quarry, was just south of here (background photograph and B). Many thousands of tons of broken rock were taken . . . — Map (db m47511) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Protection of the Hudson River
On July 12th, 1776, the British warships Phoenix and Rose sailed beneath the unarmed Bluff Rock, later named Fort Lee. This provocative action led Congress to order General Washington “By every art and whatever expense to obstruct effectively . . . — Map (db m7712) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Solax StudiosLemoine Ave • Fort Lee, NJ — Film History Was Made Here
          The Solax Studio was built in 1912 by Alice Guy Blaché, who had begun directing films for the Gaumont Company in Paris in 1896. In 1907, Leon Gaumont sent Alice and her new husband, Herbert Blaché, to take charge of Gaumont’s . . . — Map (db m72627) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Soldier Hut
At Fort Lee, “hutting” – the building of permanent huts – was started at General Greene’s command to: “Fix proper places for barracks, none to be nearer the fort than 50 rods…build timber huts…boards are to be had . . . — Map (db m7738) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Soldiers of the American Revolution- 1776 –
(Front of Monument) : In commemoration of the Soldiers of the American Revolution - 1776 – Erected by the State of New Jersey under the auspices of the Fort Lee Revolutionary Monument Association - 1908 – (Left of . . . — Map (db m7348) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — The American CrisisThomas Paine – December 1776
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. In celebration of Fort . . . — Map (db m47538) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — The Barbette Battery
This battery was believed to be the “Barbette Battery” as its location commanded a large field of fire of the river, stretching North to South from the Chevaux-De-Frise to the Bluff Rock’s southern edge. A Barbette Battery’s guns . . . — Map (db m7740) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Thomas Paine1737-1809
Author-Soldier “Common Sense”                     “American Crisis”   January 10, 1776                   December 19, 1776 Thomas Paine volunteered for the Continental Army. He marched to Amboy, New Jersey, located off . . . — Map (db m7655) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Veterans of the Battle of the BulgeArdennes
Dedicated to the men and women of the United States Army who participated in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II in Belgium and Luxembourg the greatest land battle fought by the United States Army under extreme winter conditions suffering . . . — Map (db m54913) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
New Jersey is known as the Crossroads of the American Revolution and this Fort Lee crossroad on Main Street represents one of the most important sites in the United States. Here, on present day Main Street, Major General Nathanael Greene led the . . . — Map (db m70375) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
This retreat route on Main Street in Fort Lee, N.J. enabled General George Washington’s army to escape capture from the British and prevent the end of the War for Independence. Patriot and soldier Thomas Paine wrote about his experience in Fort Lee . . . — Map (db m70376) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
British Lieutenant General Charles Lord Cornwallis and five thousand of his troops crossed the Hudson River and made their way to Fort Lee from Huyler’s Landing Road on November 20th, 1776. General Nathanael Greene, warned of the invasion by a . . . — Map (db m70384) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Washington’s Retreat to VictoryNovember 20th, 1776
The Continental Army’s retreat route ran from the bluffs of Fort Lee’s Palisades, site of the American fortifications and nearby encampment, west on Fort Lee Road (present day Main Street) and continued west through the current towns of Leonia, . . . — Map (db m70433) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — Willat/Fox & Triangle StudiosLinwood Avenue • Fort Lee, NJ. — Film History Was Made Here
          The Willat Film Manufacturing Corp. began assembling property at the northwest corner of Main Street and Linwood Avenue in 1913, and by 1915 owned three lots occupying nearly half this block. Carl A. Willatowski, a film pioneer known . . . — Map (db m54905) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Fort Lee — World/Peerless & Metropolitan StudiosLewis Street • Fort Lee, NJ. — Film History Was Made Here
          Jules Brulatour, who had earned a fortune as the agent for George Eastman’s motion picture film, built the Peerless studio on Lewis Street in 1914. It was the original home of the World Film Corporation, which Brulatour formed with . . . — Map (db m54909) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 78 — Ackerman-Boyd House
Built about 1793 by James A. Ackerman on land owned by the family since 1727. The farm was then in the locality known as Ponds Neighborhood and within the old Township of Franklin. In 1841 the house was purchased by Adam Boyd who farmed the land . . . — Map (db m43853) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 12 — Franklin Avenue
Originated as an Indian trail across land the Redmen called “Campgaw”. It was surveyed during the Revolutionary War by Robert Erskine, George Washington’s mapmaker, and connected settlements in the Ramapo and Saddle River Valleys. . . . — Map (db m12395) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — 77 — Franklin Lake
Known to the Indians as “Michanagrape,” these waters were formed by the melting glacier some 10,000 years ago. In 1700 the lake was named Christian Pool when it was included in a land grant to Michael Hawden. Later called Great Pond, . . . — Map (db m52941) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Franklin Lakes — Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church
Organized in 1855 as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Campgaw, the first church was built on Circle Ave, in 1856, but was destroyed by fire in 1919. William V. Pulis donated a lot ‘in a most commanding part of the village.’ and the stone church . . . — Map (db m27048) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Garfield — Post Ford
Frequently used by both armies during the Revolutionary War — Map (db m33552) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Garfield — Washington’s March
. . . — Map (db m62401) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock
Glen Rock Pamachapura, or "Stone From Heaven", supposed Indian council site. Town of Glen Rock took its name from it in 1894. — Map (db m32418) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock Honor Roll
World War 1914 - 1918 Glen Rock Honor Roll They Fought The Good Fight. They Finished The Course. They Kept The Faith * Peter W. Ebbert • * Frederick Jensen • * Mortimer Kerr • * Jacob E. Phillips • * Frank Squires • John Ackerman • Roland . . . — Map (db m32419) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock Honored Heroes
For God And Country Glen Rock Honored Heroes World War II   Korean War Vietnam War 1941   World War II   1945 William P. Abbott • Hubert Banks • James G. Barklie • Richard J. Boonstra • William R. Francis • Charles J. Haeberle • Robert . . . — Map (db m32416) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 13 — Hopper Family Burying Ground
Located on the boundary between two Hopper farms, the cemetery was shared by both families and their relatives for almost one hundred years. The earliest known burial was in 1804. — Map (db m36966) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 14 — Hopper Homestead
North wing built 1780 by Hendrick H. Hopper in area then called “Small Lots”. Center section erected by son John, in early 1800’s. The farmhouse was sold to the Hillmann family in 1895, ending four generations and 115 years of . . . — Map (db m36967) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 79 — Hopper House
Located in “Small Lots”, Henry G. Hopper began the construction of this house about 1788 on a 120 acre farm. Son Garret erected the Dutch-style main house in the early 1800’s. The north frame wing was built in the 1850’s for his son . . . — Map (db m36971) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Glen Rock — 15 — The Red Brick Schoolhouse
This former one room Schoolhouse was the original Ridgewood Grove School Number 44. Built in 1846 it was used until 1894 by Ridgewood Township. In 1894 the proposed closing of this school resulted in the incorporation of the Borough of Glen Rock. It . . . — Map (db m36969) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Archibald Campbell Family Monument
    Archibald Campbell – 1730 – 12/28/1798, age 68. Born on the Isle of Man, came to Hackensack in 1765. Tavern keeper, host to General George Washington. Hackensack’s first Postmaster. Exemplary in all the duties of life, a . . . — Map (db m62947) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Archibald Campbell’s Tavern
Archibald Campbell’s tavern stood here. He supplied meals to General Washington when Peter Zabriskie’s home was used as military headquarters between November 13 and November 21, 1776 during the retreat across New Jersey. The army marched down Main . . . — Map (db m7227) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Armenian Genocide
In remembrance of the Armenian Genocide 1915 – 1923 where 1,500,000 innocent Armenians were massacred by the Ottoman Turks. Dedicated July 8, 1990 — Map (db m62945) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 81 — Bank House
Erected about 1831 by the Washington Banking Company. The first bank in present Bergen County, it opened in the nearby Mansion House in 1825-26. After the bank failed in 1833, it housed the offices of prominent lawyers and judges. Later the home of . . . — Map (db m6817) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bergen County Court House / Bergen County Old Jail
[Bergen County Court House Side]: James Riely Gordon (1863–1937), noted architect of public buildings used the Beaux Arts style to reflect the power and dignity of American institutions of government and justice. Ground was broken . . . — Map (db m6869) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bergen County Old JailConstructed In 1910-12 — Restored 2002-05
The Bergen County Jail is an impressive and oppressive building. It has a cruciform plan with a castellated exterior, marked by a heavily corbelled battlement and a squat central octagonal tower. Its fortress style of architecture, a prototype of . . . — Map (db m62941) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bofor 40 MM Auto CannonShip/Submarine Air Defence
Specifications: Caliber: 40 MM Weight: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 160 Rounds per Min. Range: 4500 Yards (Tracer Burn Out) Velocity: 2890 ft/sec Warhead: Armor Piercing/High Explosive This weapon could be used as a single gun . . . — Map (db m64483) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Brigadier General Enoch Poor
Dedicated to the memory of Brigadier General Enoch Poor by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution: Born at Andover, Mass., June 21, 1736; Died near Hackensack, N.J., Sept. 8, 1780. In command of a New . . . — Map (db m6812) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Col. Richard Varick
. . . — Map (db m62949) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Comfort Women
In memory of hundreds of thousands of women and girls from Korea, China, Taiwan, the Philippines, the Netherlands, and Indonesia who were forced into sexual slavery by the Armed Forces of Imperial Japan before and during World War II. Dedicated on . . . — Map (db m64465) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — First House in Hackensack
The first house built in the City of Hackensack was that of Dr. Van Emburgh (1686) located along a creek at the rear of the Court House. Early settlers had huts on this creek where they traded furs with the Indians. — Map (db m62938) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — First Reformed Church
This tablet marks the site of the original church erected in 1696. Placed by Paskack Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1930 — Map (db m62948) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Gen. Enoch Poor
Regarded by Washington and Lafayette as a great general. He died nearby in 1780 and lies buried in the Reformed Churchyard. — Map (db m6815) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Grave of Gen. Enoch Poor
In memory of the Honorable Brigadier Gen. Enoch Poor of the State of New Hampshire who departed this life on the 8 day of Sept. 1780 aged 44 Years.---------------Washington, Lafayette and a portion of the American army attended the burial of Gen. . . . — Map (db m62951) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack
Hackensack became the County Seat of Bergen in 1709. The name “Bergen” was probably from “Bergen Op Zoom,” a major town in Holland. — Map (db m62937) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack Soldier and Sailor Memorial
Dedicated May 30, 1908 to the memory of the Soldiers and Sailors who lost their lives in the wars of the United States. — Map (db m62950) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Hackensack War Memorial
Erected in 1924 by the people of Hackensack in Memory of its soldiers and sailors who fought in the wars of the United States of America. [Four panels around the monument's base depict different American wars] Map (db m6873) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 16 — Historic First Reformed Church
Earliest records of this pioneer Dutch church, dated 1686, mark it as the second oldest in New Jersey. Old stones embedded in the east wall show the initials of founding families and first settlers. The old burying ground contains the grave of . . . — Map (db m6820) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Holocaust
In memory of the millions killed in the holocaust 1939 – 1945 Bergen County Board of Freeholders Doris Mahalick, Director D. Bennett Mazur Gerald A. Calabrese • Joseph Carucci, Jr. • John F. Curran • Harry J. Gerecke • Jeremiah F. O’Connor • . . . — Map (db m62946) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 80 — John I. Hopper House
Built in 1818, by John I. Hopper in old “Polifly”, this Federal style house stands on land purchased in 1694 by his great-grandfather Hendrick. The farm remained in the Hopper family for seven generations. Slaves lived in the kitchen . . . — Map (db m6864) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Kaiten Type II(Means = Turned Towards Heaven) — WWII Japanese Suicide Human Torpedo
Normal Displacement: 13.4 Tons Maximum Speed: 40 kts Submerged Range: 13.7 miles @ 40 kts, 48 miles @ 20 kts Warhead: 3417 lbs High Explosives Propultion: Hydrogen Peroxide 1500 HP Crew: 2 Dimensions: 54’ – 0” Long, 4’ – 6” . . . — Map (db m64471) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Lark Anti-aircraft Missile
The Lark Anti-aircraft Missile Program began in late 1944, when the U.S. Navy needed a new weapon against the ever more serious Japanese suicide-bomber (Kamikaze) threat. In January 1945, a Lark configuration had been established and requirements . . . — Map (db m64478) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Mansion House
Peter Zabriskie built a home here in 1751 which contained fine appointments including Dutch tile fireplaces depicting biblical scenes. Enlarged in 1776, the home was called Mansion House later Mansion Hotel. The structure was demolished in 1945. — Map (db m62936) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Memory of the Defenders of the Union
To the Perpetual Memory of the Defenders of the Union 1861-1865. — Map (db m65719) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — PBR Mark II River Patrol Boat
Specifications: Hull: Fiberglass Beam: 11’ – 8” Length: 31’ – 11” Weight: 18,000 lbs Speed: 35 knots Engines: Two Detroit V350 Marine Diesel Jet Pumps: Two Jacuzzi’s at 10,000 Gals/Min Armament: Forward – Twin 50 cal. . . . — Map (db m64475) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Polaris A-1 Missle
Prime Contractor: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company Type: Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Diameter: 4’ – 6” Length: 28’ Weight: 28,000 lbs Wing or Fin Span: None Power Plant: Solid Propellant Speed: Hypersonic Range: 1,380 miles . . . — Map (db m64477) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Regulus I SSM-N-8Submarine Launched Surface to Surface Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 56”       Length: 32’ – 2” Weight: 10,311 lbs       Wings: 21’ – 0” Range: 500 Nautical Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: 3,000 lbs or a 10 kiloton nuclear device Navigation: Radio controlled by . . . — Map (db m64479) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 125 — Revolutionary War Cemetery
Soldiers of the Revolution are buried in this cemetery of the True Reformed Dutch Church Deeded by Robert Campbell March 8, 1833 Erected by the Bergen County Historical Society 1937 — Map (db m7229) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Seehund(Means = Seal (Sea-Dog)) — WWII German 2 Man Coastal Defense Submarine
Normal Displacement: 14.94 Tons Max Speed: 5.6 kts (Sub), 7.7 kts (Surface) Range: 300 miles @ 7 kts (Surface)             63 miles @ 3 kts (Submerged) Armament: 2 External Loaded 21” Electric Propultion   Diesel (Surface) 60 hp             . . . — Map (db m64473) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Site of the Court-House & Jail
Burned by the enemy 1780 Erected by The Bergen County Historical Society 1922 — Map (db m6872) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Slavery
In memory of the millions of African people who perished during the middle passage, suffered the horrors of slavery, and endured the inhumanity of racial segregation. We also remember the heroes who have struggled and continue to work for freedom, . . . — Map (db m62943) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Still on Patrol
U.S. Navy submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on “patrol.” Albacore • Amberjack • Argonaut • Barbel • Bonefish • Bullhead • Capelin . . . — Map (db m64470) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Submariners Memorial
. . . — Map (db m64469) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Talos SAM-N-6Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 28” Length: 19’-2” Weight: 2,700 lbs Wings: 9’-2” Range: 65 Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: Conventional 300 lbs - Nuclear Navigation: Radio Controlled Booster: 2,950 lbs of Thrust Solid Fuel First . . . — Map (db m64493) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Terrier SAM-N-7Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 12” Length: 27 ft Weight: 3000 lbs Wings: 47” Range: 15 Miles – Ceiling of 10 Miles Warhead: 218 lbs Navigation: Radio Controlled Speed: Mach 1.8 Booster: 1,290 lbs of Thrust The Terrier Missile was . . . — Map (db m64492) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Great Hunger1845 - 1849
In memory of the millions of Irish people lost to imposed starvation, death and forced emigration by the English government. Bergen County Council of Irish Associations November 25, 1995 — Map (db m62944) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Green
Gift of John Berry, 1696. It became the village center of New Barbadoes Township, now Hackensack. Later a public park. — Map (db m6866) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Green
Hackensack was a small village centered around The Green which served as a strategic point during the American Revolution. Washington headquartered here in November 1776 while he surveyed the local roads and bridges. — Map (db m6867) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — The Huguenots
In honor of The Huguenots on the Hackensack 1677 --------------- Erected by The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey 1942 — Map (db m62942) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — U.S.S. Ling
Launched August 15, 1943 Commissioned – June 8, 1945 – Boston Sponsor Mrs. Edward J. Foy First Captain – Commander G. G. Molumphy — Map (db m7230) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Underwater MK16 Mine
This type of mine was deployed from surface ships and submarines. The larger round section of the mine contains 600 lbs of cast TNT. When the enemy ship moves near the mine, the smaller float makes contact and sets off the detonator. The main . . . — Map (db m64480) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — USS Gudgeon (SS-211)
Commissioned           November 22, 1939 U.S. Navy Yard           Mare Island, Calif. Over Due – Lost   May 1944 In memory of 78 officers and men By sinking a Japanese submarine on January 27, 1942, she became the first U.S. submarine in . . . — Map (db m64467) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — 82 — Varick Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
First African American Church in Hackensack. Organized in 1864 as “Olive Branch Colored Mission Number Three of Hackensack.” First church was an old lime shed moved here in 1867. In 1917 current name was adopted in honor of the first . . . — Map (db m7223) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 83 — Abraham D. Blauvelt Homestead
The house and the kitchen wing were built about 1801 by Abraham D. Blauvelt who farmed the land. It came into possession of his niece, Catherine Blauvelt, wife of Richard J. Blauvelt, and remained in the family until 1891. In 1904 Herman Steinhoff, . . . — Map (db m7921) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 19 — Blanch-Haring House
Homestead of Isaac Blanch from about 1758 and site of his grist mill, both inherited in 1767 from his father, Richard Blanch, a native of England. Isaac was a Patriot official and member of the State Assembly during the Revolutionary War. He was . . . — Map (db m7920) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 18 — Old Burying Ground
In use for nearly two hundred years, largely by the Blauvelt family, the earliest known burial was in 1722. The cemetery contains the graves of members of other early Bergen County families, veterans of the American Revolution and slaves. Some of . . . — Map (db m7877) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 84 — Site of the Myers-Bogert Grist Mill
Abraham Myers established a grist mill at this site on the Hackensack River prior to 1765. Inherited by son John who operated the mill until his death in 1829, it was continued by his son-in-law James Bogert. Long known as “Bogert’s . . . — Map (db m7940) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Harrington Park — 20 — Wortendyke Homesite
Frederick Wortendyke owned this land in 1723. It was once part of a large grant called the Tappan Patent. His son Jacob, who owned the homestead during the Revolutionary War, was taken captive in one of many British raids made in the area. Later . . . — Map (db m8683) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hasbrouck Heights — Polifly Road
Polifly Road, this park’s easterly line, was the first public road on Polifly Ridge, from Rutherford to Hackensack. It was projected in 1682 by Capt. John Berry, then Highway Commissioner, and was laid out in March, 1707. Hasbrouck Heights was part . . . — Map (db m32035) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hasbrouck Heights — Roll of Honor1917             1919 — Hasbrouck Heights
Killed in Action Botsford, Arnold Elias, Robert H. Jr Leighton, Alexander W. Jr Scarr, James B. Engaged in Service Adamson, George E. • Aitken, Thomas J. • Aspdin, Byron E. • Aspdin, Charles E. • Aspdin, William Jr • Averill, Gilbert • . . . — Map (db m47583) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 17 — Garret J. Durie HouseBuilt c. 1811
An early 19th century example of Dutch Colonial architecture erected by Garret J. Durie on part of the estate of his father, John Durie. Garret J. Durie was a farmer whose 120 acre tract stretched eastward one mile to the Tenakill Brook. Located in . . . — Map (db m7935) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 85 — Schraalenburgh RoadHaworth’s Historic Highway
Beginning as an Indian trail, it became a Colonial road through the village of Schraalenburgh, linking Teaneck with Tappan, N.Y. Surveyed and improved in 1775, it appeared on maps made during the Revolutionary War by Americans, French and British. . . . — Map (db m7879) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Haworth — 86 — Zabriskie-Christie House
Built 1818 by Garret H. Zabriskie on land his father Henry purchased in the 18th century. Garret ‘s farm consisted of 219 acres. It began on Schraalenburg Road and ran westward for one mile. Later owned by son John G. Zabriskie who sold it to his . . . — Map (db m7922) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Capt. John H. Banta Homestead
Built about 1796 by John H. Banta on a tract bought in 1755 where he had an earlier house. Banta was a carpenter and farmer who enlarged his homestead to 395 acres. At the time of the French and Indian War he served as a captain in the Bergen . . . — Map (db m22251) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — 21 — Garret Durie House
Located in “Pascack” on land inherited from his father, Garret Durie built this house about 1767. During the Revolutionary War, the house was plundered by both American and British armies. Durie was a farmer and a blacksmith as well as . . . — Map (db m43787) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Henry J. Werner
In memory of Henry J. Werner Jan. 24, 1863       Jan. 12, 1939 Chief Hillsdale Fire Department First President N.J. & N.Y. Volunteer Firemens Assn. 1914 – 1947 First Mayor Borough of Hillsdale Nov. 12, 1923       Dec 31, 1925 In . . . — Map (db m22213) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Hillsdale Fire Department Monument
Dedicated to the Memory of Our Departed Members Hillsdale Fire Department 1977 "Honor Roll" marker: In Memorium O.S. Trall 1924 • H.H. Herring 1927 • G.W. Saul 1927 • J.H. Westphal 1928 • A.H. Storms 1929 • C. Potter 1932 • T.C. . . . — Map (db m22212) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Hillsdale Police Booth
Hillsdale Police Booth Built in 1925 by John Henry Olley It is Revered as the Symbol of Hillsdale Map (db m22214) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Hillsdale Veterans Monument
Hillsdale Honor Roll In Time of Need These Men Pledged Their Lives Their Fortunes and Their Sacred Honor 1914 World War 1919 Ackerman, E. Lodewick • Ackerman, Garrett J. • Albertson, Edwin • Albertson, John • Bachman, Herman • Bachman, . . . — Map (db m22195) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hillsdale — Westervelt-Demarest House
About 1756 Peter Westervelt built a small house, enlarged in 1785, on land of his wife Catlyntje Haring. During the Revolutionary War the farm was raided. Later it was owned by son Henry and his son Aaron, a Freeholder and State Assemblyman. . . . — Map (db m43786) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — Front Entrance
The Rosencrantz family, like other upper-middle class families, worked hard but could sometimes take time to sit on the front porch and visit with neighbors. Some of the stonework visible in this photograph (circa 1890) was original to the 18th . . . — Map (db m43267) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — Leisure Activities
Outdoor leisure activities for a Victorian family included croquet, archery, bicycling, swimming, painting, photography and boating. This photograph (circa 1890) reveals that the Rosecrantz family had a sense of humor; this bucolic rowing scene was . . . — Map (db m43280) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — North Gate
The Hermitage is a Mid-Nineteenth Century Gothic Revival cottage style villa built on the site of an earlier house. The architect William Ranlett was commissioned in 1847 to renovate the original Colonial-style building by adding a new wing and . . . — Map (db m43278) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — Rosencrantz Cotton Mills
From the time that Elijah Rosencrantz bought the Hermitage in 1807 to the Civil War, mills on the nearby Hohokus Brook behind the building provided an income for the Rosencrantz family. This photograph (circa 1890) shows millworkers posing in front . . . — Map (db m43266) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — The “Bricks”
This area shown (circa 1890) is in the rear of the Hermitage and provided a convenient, covered area for household activities. To Victorians there was a strong connection between homes and children. “It is not for ourselves alone but for the . . . — Map (db m43275) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — The Rosencrantz Heritage
Mary Elizabeth Rosencrantz was born in the Hermitage and lived there until she died in 1970 at the age of 85. Unmarried and one of the last descendants of Elijah Rosencrantz who purchased the Hermitage in 1807, she knew the historical value of her . . . — Map (db m43269) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — Victorian Tea Party
This photograph (circa 1890) has captured an occasion very popular with Victorians. Three friends sitting in bentwood chairs enjoy a tea party on the lawn of the Hermitage. Victorians loved the outdoors, and a lady always wore her hat and a stylish . . . — Map (db m43270) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho Ho Kus — Well-House
William Dayton Rosencrantz, his children William Dayton, Jr. and Mary Elizabeth, and second wife Bessie posed (circa 1890) in front of the well-house which provided water for the Rosencrantz family and for travelers on Franklin Turnpike. The . . . — Map (db m43279) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho-ho-kus — The Hermitage
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m43142) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Ho-Ho-Kus — Theodosia Bartow PrevostWomen’s Heritage Trail
The Hermitage was home to Theodosia Bartow Prevost during the Revolutionary War, when she was married to British officer James Marcus Prevost. During the war, Theodosia was left to run the farm in the middle of a heavily contested area, and . . . — Map (db m84827) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Civil War Armory and Drill Hall
Built in 1859 by “Jersey Blues Company” of the English Neighborhood. Troops that trained here became Company 1 of the 22nd New Jersey Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. Other troops trained here served during the Spanish-American . . . — Map (db m54805) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Cole – Allaire – Boyd House
Oldest dwelling in Leonia – Circa 1765 Home of noted loyalist, Sam Cole prior to and during part of the Revolution. — Map (db m54809) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Continental Army Encampment
Immediately south was located for a period in the early days of September 1780, the encampment of the left wing of the "light" troop of the Continental Army under Marquis de Lafayette. — Map (db m7461) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Days Tavern
. . . — Map (db m54807) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Dutch Reformed Churchof the English Neighborhood
Site of the Dutch Reformed Church of the English Neighborhood Built in 1768-9 and dedicated in 1770, with Dominie Garrett Lydecker its first minister. Used as a guardhouse and hospital at various times during the Revolution. Torn . . . — Map (db m7335) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — English Neighborhood Road
For 200 years this avenue was the English Neighborhood Road. In colonial days it was the main inland highway between Paulus Hook, Bergen and the English Neighborhood. — Map (db m40770) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — George Washington Memorial Monument
On November 20th 1776, General George Washington and part of the Continental Army on their march from Fort Lee to Trenton passed this way. Erected July 4th, 1915 — Map (db m93363) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Leonia Patent
This section of Leonia was purchased from the Indians by Captain John Berry under a patent dated 1669. Capt. Berry was governor of Nova Caesarea (New Jersey) 1672-3. — Map (db m54806) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Leonia Tract
This section of Leonia is part of a tract purchased in 1668 from the Hackensack Indians by Samuel Edsall and Nicholas Varlett who founded the English Neighborhood. — Map (db m54847) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — March to Trenton
In the early morning of Nov. 20, 1776 after evacuating Fort Lee by order of Gen. Washington, the Continental troops under Gen. Greene came down this road on their march to Trenton. — Map (db m7345) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Slave Burial Ground
In colonial times this was the site of a slave burial ground. In 1784 slaves comprised almost one forth of the population of the township. — Map (db m7462) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — Van Horne’s Grist Mill
Approximately 100 yards to the west once stood Van Horne’s Grist Mill as located on Robert Erskine’s Map and mentioned in Thomas Paine’s “Crisis” paper. One detachment of the Patriot Garrison retreating from Fort Lee, left the main . . . — Map (db m40769) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Leonia — 87 — Vreeland House
Located in old English Neighborhood on land purchased by Dirck Vreeland before the Revolution, the homestead stretched between the Hudson River and Overpeck Creek. The stone wing of this house was built about 1786 and later was remodeled. Son . . . — Map (db m7131) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Little Ferry — Gethsemane Cemetery
Purchase in 1860 for the “coloured population of Hackensack” and in 1901 incorporated by African-American Trustees as the Gethsemane Cemetery. The one acre lot has about 500 interments of free blacks, former slaves as well as a number of . . . — Map (db m43693) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — John McGarryCivil War
. . . — Map (db m95021) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — Lyndhurst War Memorial
World War II These gave all Abate, George • Ackerson, Joseph R. • Ahrens, Howard J. • Alex, Victor J. • Alonzo, John J. • Astrella, Michael • Astrella, Philip J. • Beck, Frederick Jr. • Benedyktowicz, Vincent • Biedermann, Henry J. • . . . — Map (db m54140) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — Operations Desert Storm and Iraqi FreedomTownship of Lyndhurst Veterans Alliance
Frank Jiosi, Sr.,   USMC • Robert Sammarone,   USMC • Robert Bozik,   USMC • Scott Devlin,   • Michael Brown,   USA • Michael Tooey,   USN • Carmine Giangeruso,   USAF • Doug Dowson,   USMC • John Thompson,   USA • Christopher Heller,   USNR • . . . — Map (db m54144) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — 88 — River Road School
The first schoolhouse was built on this site in 1804. Located in what then was called New Barbadoes Neck, the land was donated by Jacob Van Winkle “for the sole purpose of erecting a School House”. In 1849 it was replaced by a two-story . . . — Map (db m6733) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — River Road School1804
On this site was born the first known public school system of Bergen County deeded to the school trustees of what was then called New Barbadoes Neck. This property given for the sole purpose of erecting a school was to yield and pay the yearly rent . . . — Map (db m42432) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Lyndhurst — Theresa “Tessie” McNamara1892 – 1971 — Heroine of the Kingsland Explosion
In 1915 Tessie McNamara was the first woman hired by the Canadian Car Foundry Co. Ltd., a munitions plant in Kingsland, which is now Lyndhurst, New Jersey. She was hired as a stenographer and telephone switchboard operator, but the company grew so . . . — Map (db m33556) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — A.B. Darling Mansion
Site of A.B. Darling Mansion Built 1864 As owner of Fifth Ave. Hotel he used this as a dairy farm. Bought by George Crocker in 1900, then Emerson McMillin and 1926 the Roman Catholic Diocese of Newark. Now owned by County Park Commission. . . . — Map (db m43902) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — American Brake Shoe Foundry& Ramapo Valley Road Bridge
          On August 25, 1781 during the historic 600-mile march to what was the Revolutionary War’s decisive Battle of Yorktown, Gen. Rochambeau’s army was forced to ford this river because the bridge that was here was in poor shape. The bridge of . . . — Map (db m82146) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — Dellbrook Estate, Baldwin Residence
This 19th Century farm house, its frame barn and three other outbuildings served as the centerpiece of an agricultural settlement along the Rampo River, started in 1861 and known as “Dellbrook”. There is evidence of an earlier building . . . — Map (db m94640) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — Hopper Gristmill Site
Built as a gristmill about 1760 by Lambartus Laroe and sold to Thomas Boggs in 1764, it had a pair of millstones. Boggs also ran a tavern in his nearby home. Owned by David Baldwin during the Revolution, the mill ground grain for American troops. . . . — Map (db m24991) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 25 — Laroe-Van Horn House
Located in “Ramapough” near the site of an Indian trading post, this Dutch Colonial house was built about 1750 by Jacobus Laroe. The small wing was added at a later date, the porch about 1840. Some later owners were Jacobus Bogert who . . . — Map (db m43801) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 22 — Mahwah’s First Station
Built in 1871, the building served until 1902 and was moved from original site when four tracks were laid and grade crossing closed. Bought by A.J. Winter, it was used as a storehouse for fifty years. To preserve the landmark, The Mahwah Historical . . . — Map (db m43796) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — Old Lutheran Cemetery
In 1713, eleven German Palatine families settled in this area and organized into a congregation under Lutheran Pastor Justus Falckner. About 1720, they built a log church near this site. It was replaced prior to 1739 with a larger structure, and . . . — Map (db m13359) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — 24 — Ramapo Valley Road
First an Indian path, then an important road during the period of colonial settlement. Washington’s army used this road in July 1777, and at many other times during the revolution. This is one of America’s oldest roads. It was an important link . . . — Map (db m43778) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — The Ackerman HouseMahwah’s Farming Heritage
This 19th-century farmhouse with Colonial Revival features was the home of Garret G. Ackerman (b. 1810 – d. 1870) until his accidental death when he was thrown from his horse-drawn wagon on present Fardale Avenue. The west section of the house . . . — Map (db m27051) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — The Cleveland Bridge1888
Named for U.S. President Grover Cleveland of N.J., it replaced an 1840’s wooden bridge that served the extensive timber industry in the Ramapo Mountains. Constructed by the Berlin Iron Bridge Co., East Berlin, Conn., the major iron bridge builders . . . — Map (db m94641) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — The Valentine Homestead
The first and largest 2½ story block of this house was constructed by the Valentines, carpenters, and house builders, c. 1820. It features a Greek-Revival doorway, two interior chimneys and a later wraparound porch with Tuscan-style columns. . . . — Map (db m27054) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — The Winter FarmhouseC. 1844
Thomas Winter (b. 1820) built this home on family land c. 1844. The style is “vernacular” with some Greek Revival influences, common to the era. Winter married twice and had ten children from 1844 to 1874. This rare, 970 sq. ft. . . . — Map (db m43896) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — Tree of Life
This “Tree of Life” was planted by The Township of Mahwah To Honor Those people who perished in the “Attack on America” on September 11, 2001 Let us Never forget Map (db m43907) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Mahwah — Wanamaker Utility ShedCirca 1830
. . . — Map (db m43905) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Maywood — Passaic Street
Originally known as Paramus Road, one of the first Colonial roads in Bergen County, frequently used by Continental and British armies in the Revolutionary War. — Map (db m36451) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Midland Park — 26 — Lozier House
This old Dutch sandstone house, shown on Erskine's 1780 map, was built by Cornelius Lozier before the Revolution. South of it was the grist mill, known as Lozier's Mill. Later, when the property passed to Garret Lydecker, the area was . . . — Map (db m51171) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Montvale — 89 — Eckerson House
Built in the 1790’s by Jacob Eckerson near an earlier home where he had settled about 1770. The farmstead then consisted of 119 acres. The house was inherited by his son John J. Eckerson in 1810 who owned it until 1870 when purchased by James . . . — Map (db m29882) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Montvale — Montvale Veterans Monument
Borough Of Montvale Dedicated To The Memory Of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice And In Honor Of All Who Served Their Country In Time Of Need Valor   Honor Robert T. Bates • Anthony Della Bella • David W. Brooks • Kevin R. . . . — Map (db m33705) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Montvale — 27 — The Octagon House
An example of the "Gravel Wall and Octagon Mode of Building" popularized by Orso S. Fowler in the 1850's, noted for its use of building material, plan of rooms and adaptability to light and ventilation. Built 1855-60 by John Blauvelt, Jr.,an . . . — Map (db m33647) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 91 — Demarest-Bloomer House
Built about 1840 in the Greek Revival Style of architecture by John C. Demarest. He was a farmer with an interest in river trade when schooners plied the Hackensack River. The house was purchased in 1864 by George Bloomer, a dealer in coal and . . . — Map (db m7226) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — French Burying Ground
French Burying Ground First used 1677 Placed by David Demarest Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1955 — Map (db m7235) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 90 — Jacobus Demarest Homestead
The earliest part of this house, one of the oldest in the county, was built on land purchased in 1677 by David Demarest, Sr., founder of the Huguenot Colony in Bergen County. His grandson Jacobus, born 1681, lived here until his death in 1763. . . . — Map (db m7220) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — New Bridge
The first "New Bridge" erected in 1745 it was a strategic crossing during the Revolution, used by Washington'a Army during the 1776 retreat. In 1888/89, the wooden span was replaced by this iron swing-bridge, now the oldest such bridge of its kind . . . — Map (db m7267) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 28 — New Bridge Inn1739 – 1964
Built in 1739-40 by Peter P. Demarest. In 1766 he received a license from the local court to “keep a Tavern or Public House” here. The old inn witnessed many stirring events during the American Revolution. In November 1776, Washington . . . — Map (db m7225) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), New Milford — 124 — Site of the French Church and Cemetery
Site of the French Church and Cemetery of Kinkachemeck, New Jersey. Deeded to David Desmarest June 8, 1677 by Tapan Indians. Erected by the Bergen County Historical Society 1935. — Map (db m7234) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), North Arlington — Christopher Columbus1451 – 1506
Dedicated in Honor of Christopher Columbus who had the courage to venture out into uncharted waters and discover America. Presented to the Borough of North Arlington on October 12, 1992 by the North Arlington Chapter of Unico National on the . . . — Map (db m6737) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), North Arlington — North Arlington War Memorial
In memory of the World War Heroes of North Arlington * James Bird • * Charles Fischer • * Alexander P. Stover • Charles Aitken • William Anastasio • Arthur R. Anderson • Frank Bayard • J. Bernardino • William Boise • Adam Bruder • John F. Cameron . . . — Map (db m51960) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), North Arlington — Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II celebrated the Eucharist beneath this canopy in Giants Stadium East Rutherford, NJ before an assembly of 90,000 people on October 5, 1995. — Map (db m88446) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), North Arlington — Pulaski Drive
Dedicated in honorable memory to Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski 1748   -----   1779 Fought and died for American Independence by Act of Mayor and Council of the Borough of North Arlington September 18, 1955 Mayor Leonard Barnett Councilmen J. M. . . . — Map (db m20747) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), North Arlington — The Rutgers Bridge
A wooden bridge was first built at this location in 1790 and named after Anthony Rutgers of the family for which Rutgers University is named. It was operated as a toll bridge until destroyed by a great flood in 1841. His widow sold the charter to . . . — Map (db m68686) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Norwood — 92 — Peter A. Blauvelt House
Built about 1890 in the High Victorian style of architecture when Norwood was part of old Harrington Township. Blauvelt was an undertaker and erected the building as a residence. In 1922 it became the home of Charles S. Gray who served as Mayor of . . . — Map (db m8682) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — Dahlgren Gun
Designed and built by Lt. John Dahlgren at the Naval Gun Factory, Washington, D.C., year 1850. A nine inch gun weighing approximately 9,000 lbs., capable of shooting a projectile of 150 lbs. Used throughout the Civil War by the North and for some . . . — Map (db m40965) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — 94 — Hendrick Van Allen House
This Dutch Colonial house was built by Hendrick Van Allen before the Revolutionary War on a farm that consisted of over two-hundred acres. General George Washington used this house as his Headquarters on July 14-15, 1777, when he moved his troops . . . — Map (db m12336) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — Hendrik Van Allen House
Located on Ramapo Valley Road key military highway for troops and supply units during the Revolutionary War this building served as General George Washington’s headquarters on July 14, 1777 and as the Bergen County Court House in 1778 – 1779 . . . — Map (db m12335) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — 95 — Jacobus S. Demarest House
Built about 1789 by Jacobus S. Demarest, the frame wing was added later. Demarest served in the Revolutionary War. Over the years his farm grew to 180 acres. In 1835 his son, Daniel J. Demarest, inherited the farmhouse. In 1863 it passed to his . . . — Map (db m12401) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oakland — OaklandIncorporated 1902
The Lenni Lenape Indians deeded the first land to Dutch colonist Arent Schuyler in 1695. It was then called Yaupough. The “Valley Road” was an important supply artery of the American Revolution. On July 14, 1777, General George . . . — Map (db m12896) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — Claudius O. Collignon House
Built about 1864 by Claudius with a kitchen wing, it has elements of Greek Revival and Italianate styles of architecture. He purchased a half interest in the farm and mill works owned by his brother Nicholas. Their firm was known as the Collignon . . . — Map (db m7930) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 29 — Haring - DeWolf House
This house was built about 1709 by Cosyn Haring, one of the sixteen Tappan patentees. It is an example of early Dutch Colonial architecture found in the Hackensack valley. This house has never been deeded to anyone, having been in the same family . . . — Map (db m52943) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 97 — John Haring, Jr. House
Built about 1836 by John Haring, Jr., the house is an example of Greek Revival architecture and retains many original features. Haring’s homestead was on 14½ acres but he also owned adjacent lands which he farmed for decades. Daughter Sarah . . . — Map (db m7932) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 96 — Teunis Haring House
Erected about 1810 on the site of an earlier house, the brick and sandstone center section is Dutch Colonial style, with wings added c. 1820-1875. It was the homestead of Teunis Haring, a farmer and Chosen Freeholder of Bergen County. Later owned . . . — Map (db m43842) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Old Tappan — 30 — The Stone Point
As early as 1704 this area of the Tappan Patent was called the “steen” or “Stone” point, later Stony Point. It was commonly known by that name for over 150 years. A grist mill was built here in 1725, fifty years before the . . . — Map (db m7931) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — Oradell
Home of Commander Walter M. Schirra, Jr., USN, the first Jerseyman to orbit the Earth, Oct 3, 1962. — Map (db m18775) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — Oradell Veterans Memorial
1969 In Honored Memory of the Men and Women of Oradell Who by their Devotion to Peace and Freedom for All Mankind Gave Their Lives In the Service of Their Country. World War II Hugh D. Black • Thomas H. Cordes • Paul A. DeMarrais • . . . — Map (db m22163) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — Oradell World War II Memorial
1941 - 1945 In Honor of the Men and Women Of Oradell Who Served in World War II And Dedicated in the Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Hugh D. Black • Thomas H. Cordes • Paul A. DeMarrais • Henry W. Genther • W. Everett . . . — Map (db m22164) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 98 — Richard T. Cooper House
Built about 1825 by Richard Teunis Cooper, a chairmaker, on land owned by the family since 1716. This Federal style house, once on a 22 acre farm, is in the Oradell locality formerly known as New Milford. Son John R. Cooper, a master blacksmith, . . . — Map (db m7550) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 31 — Soldier HillLafayette Encampment
The Continental Army advanced to Englewood on August 23, 1780, with some units foraging as far south as Jersey City. The main body of the army moved west of the Hackensack River on September 4th, camping in two lines west of Kinderkamack Road, one . . . — Map (db m7552) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — 99 — Van Buskirk-Oakley House
Small wing built by Abraham J. Van Buskirk about 1820 from earlier c. 1789 house. Federal style main wing built c. 1832-34 for Fanning T. Oakley and wife Hetty Van Buskirk. Later owned by son Abraham V. B. Oakley and wife Eliza Voorhis; their . . . — Map (db m7551) HM

374 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 124
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.