|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuqerque — Confederate Soldiers|
|Confederate Soldiers who
served in Gen Sibley's Brig
with Maj Trevanion T Teel
were buried here when Conf
Flag was flying over Old Albuqerque
in April 1862 — Map (db m6677) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Alameda|
|This 18th century Spanish settlement was established on the site of an ancient Tiwa Indian Pueblo that was destroyed following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The pueblo was reestablished in 1702, but in 1708 the Spanish moved its Tiwa inhabitants to help resettle the pueblo of Isleta. Here the Camino Real passed by cottonwood groves from which the community derived its' name. — Map (db m45435) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque — On the Camino Real|
|Spanish settlers had lived here before the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, but the area was resettled when the "Villa de Alburquerque" was founded in 1706. In addition to promoting colonization, the new town was intended to provide protection from attacks by Indians in Rio Abajo, or lower Rio Grande Valley. — Map (db m8504) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque|
|In 1706, New Mexico Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdes founded the new Villa de Alburquerque (now Albuquerque), which became the principal settlement of the Rio Abajo, or lower river district. Here, the Camino Real wound its way through a series of farming and ranching communities and led to a nearby ford which linked the Camino Real to settlements on the west bank of the Rio Grande. — Map (db m45231) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Albuquerque Electric Streetcar System|
|An electric streetcar system in Albuquerque was constructed in 1904 to replace the horse-drawn trolleys. Two streetcar companies were established, one for the downtown Albuquerque and Old Town Plaza areas (the Albuquerque Traction Company) and another for the Huning Highlands-University area (the Highland). By 1908 six miles of track linked downtown Albuquerque to Old Town Plaza, with lines running north to the Lumber Mill, east to the Huning Highlands and the University, and south to Los . . . — Map (db m45447) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Casa de Armijo|
|Built in 1706 and occupied for many generations by the Armijo family who were prominent in local history. This hacienda was gay with social life.
During the turmoil of the early settlement the Mexican, Spanish and American Civil War occupation it was used as a fort and a refuge.
Later, still occupied by the Armijo family, portions were used as an early trading post.
In 1930 it was restored from a ruin to its present condition and remodeled in conformity with its old character.
— Map (db m703) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Cuarto Centenario Memorial|
|La Jornada (The Journey), the bronze sculptural grouping on the corner along with the adjacent earthen work Numbe Whageh (Our Center Place) make up the City of Albuquerque's 1% for the Arts Funds Cuarto Centenario Memorial. The memorial commemorates New Mexico's early peoples and their contribution to the present.
Numbe Whageh (Our Center Place)
Nora Naranjo Morse Earthen Work
La Jornada (The Journey
Betty Sabo & Sonny Rivera bronze.
Rick Borkovetz Landscape . . . — Map (db m71142) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Dominguez y Escalante Expedition — 1776 1976|
To the Citizens of Albuquerque
This Ramada is dedicated to the people of Albuquerque in commemoration of the Bicentennial re-tracing of the Dominguez-Escalante Expedition of 1776.
In their vain attempt to find a northern route to Monterey, California, Fathers Dominguez and Escalante blazed a trail through the wilderness of the present Four Corners area. Documentation of their exploration became the basis for the development of later Spanish trails. The . . . — Map (db m45444) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Don Francisco Cuervo Y Valdes — Founder of Albuquerque — April 23, 1706|
|Illustrious son of the Province of Asturias Spain, Governor of New Mexico.
Sculpture funded by the City of Albuquerque 1% for Arts Program as per City Council Resolution 57, 1984.
Buck McCain, Artist, Santa Fe Bronze, Inc. Foundry.
Dedication Ceremonies held April 23, 1988
El dia 23 de abril de 1706... "Certifico a su Majestad...a sus Virreyes...como funde una Villa en las Orillas y Vegas del Rio del Norte en buen paraje de tierras, aguas postos y lena...llamandola y . . . — Map (db m70364) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Dońa Dolores “Lola” Chávez de Armijo — (1858-1929) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative|
In 1912, State Librarian Lola Chávez de Armijo filed a gender discrimination law suit after the governor sought to replace her by court order, claiming that as a woman, she was unqualified to hold office under the constitution and laws of New Mexico. The New Mexico Supreme Court ruled in her favor and legislation followed, thereafter allowing women to hold appointed office.
New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
The New Mexico Historic Women . . . — Map (db m45333) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Founding Women of Albuquerque|
In February 1706 several families participated in the founding of Albuquerque but the names of only 22 are preserved in the historical record. Within those families were many women honored as being founders of La Villa San Felipe de Alburquerque. Their success in the face of incredible challenges is testament to their courage and bravery. Their names are recorded on the back of this marker.
Founding Women of Albuquerque
Isabel Cedillo . . . — Map (db m45230) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Graciela Olivárez — (1928-1987) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative|
Attorney, public servant, and activist, Graciela Olivárez was a high school dropout who became the first woman graduate of Notre Dame Law School where an award is presented each year in her name. She led national anti-poverty efforts and ensured equal representation of men and women on the National Council of La Raza's Board of Directors. In 1980, she started the nation's first Spanish-language television network.
New Mexico Historic Women Marker . . . — Map (db m45225) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Harvey Girls / Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, 1869 - 1958|
| [Side A:]
In 1883, the Fred Harvey Company hired women to serve in its diners and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Thousands of respectable, intelligent women were recruited from the Midwest and East Coast to come west. Known as Harvey Girls, many of these women stayed and became founding members of their adopted communities, forever changing the cultural landscape of the Wild West.
Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, . . . — Map (db m45326) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Hotel Alvarado|
|Hotel Alvarado was constructed in 1902 and demolished in 1970 in spite of local efforts to preserve it. The hotel and depot complex, shown in this 1908 photograph looking west, was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect Charles Whittlesey in California Mission Revival style. The hotel was named for Hernando de Alvarado of the Coronado Expedition of 1540. The hotel was the site of the Fred Harvey Restaurant and Indian Building. Mary J. Colter designed the interior using regional artifacts and . . . — Map (db m45446) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — In This Plaza Were Enacted — A.D. 1706|
|By Governor and Captain General Don Francisco Cuervo Y. Valdez ceremonies incident to the founding of the Villa of Albuquerque named after the Spanish Viceroy Don Francisco Fernandez De La Cueva Enriquez Duke of Albuquerque — Map (db m45271) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Doctora María Dolores Gonzáles — (1917-1975)|
Dr. Gonzales was a pioneer in bilingual and bicultural education. She developed educational materials for students in New Mexico and Latin America and trained teachers in the curriculum. Born in Pecos, “Lola” taught in the area for many years and
at the University of New Mexico. She held a master's degree from Columbia University and a doctorate from Pennsylvania State University. Dolores Gonzales Elementary School in Albuquerque is named in her honor. . . . — Map (db m45227) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — La Jornada|
|On January 26, 1598, amid embraces and farewells, Governor Juan de Onate left Santa Barbara, in present day Chihuahua, leading an expedition bound for New Mexico. Nearly 600 settlers accompanied him, along with Mexican Indian allies and Franciscan friars. In a great cloud of dust, the slow-moving oxen-pulled carreta caravan creaked through the Valley of San Bartomlome, sending its way northward.
Driving thousands of sheep, pigs, goats, cattle, mules and horses before them, men, women, and . . . — Map (db m45443) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Los Padillas|
|Los Padillas is an extended family settlement which was resettled by Diego de Padilla. His grandparents had lived on the site prior to the 1680 Pueblo Revolt at which time they were forced to abandon it. In the 1790 census the town, referred to as San Andres de los Padillas, had a population of 168. This is the site of the old Los Padillas School, originally built in 1901 and replaced in 1912. — Map (db m67067) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Madonna of the Trail|
Covered Wagon Days
Into the primitive west
Face upflung toward the sun
Bravely she came
Her children besides her,
Here she made them a home
Beautiful Pioneer Mother!
The National Old Trails Road
To the pioneer mother
through whose courage
the desert has . . . — Map (db m45445) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Mountain Howitzers|
|Cast in the foundry of Cyrus Alger & Company of Boston, Massachusetts, and originally designed to be mule-pack artillery, the Model of 1835 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer was the smallest U.S. cannon of the period and could fire a 12-pound exploding shell to a distance of 1000 yards. It was a light field piece of great mobility and intended for use in all kinds of rough terrain.
In early April 1862, Civil War Confederate forces that had invaded New Mexico Territory began their retreat back . . . — Map (db m45274) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Armijo School|
|Constructed in 1914, this building was designed by Atanacio Montoya, a progressive educator who introduced many reforms into early 20th century rural schools. It served as the school for the Village of Armijo until 1948. This school incorporated architectural features that were considered quite innovative and advanced for its time and is the only surviving structure of its kind. — Map (db m45221) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Town History|
Front of Marker - English:
1706-The Villa of "Alburquerque" was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo Y Valdes, Governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It stood on the Camino Real (Royal Road), which ran between Mexico City and Santa Fe. It became the regional seat of government for the Rio Abajo (lower river), as well as the areas agricultural center.
1821-Mexico declared its independence from Spain, New Mexico joined the new nation to the South, Alburquerque became . . . — Map (db m45278) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Rio Puerco Bridge|
|This Parker through truss located on the historic Route 66 was built in 1933. It was fabricated by the Kansas City Structural Steel Company and erected by F.D. Shufflebarger of Albuquerque. Its 250 foot long length is one of the longest in new Mexico. Repairs and remodeling were completed in 1957. This structure was replaced in 1999 and is being preserved by the New Mexico State Highway and Transportation Department. — Map (db m43874) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe de Alburquerque|
First marker on left:
San Felipe de Alburquerque, named for King Phillip V of Spain and the Duke of Alburquerque was, founded in 1706 by Gov. Francisco Cuervo Valdez with 30 families from Bernalillo accompanied by soldiers to protect them from nomadic Indians. Spanish custom required the church to be ready when a town was established so it is assumed that the church was also built in 1706. The original church faced east toward the old plaza which extended north and south. After . . . — Map (db m45267) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — San Felipe De Neri|
|Oldest church in Albuquerque. Has continuously served the community without interruption since 1706. Originally founded and served by the Franciscan Friars, this parish church has been served successively by the Secular Clergy of Durango, Mexico 1817, the Jesuit Fathers and Brothers 1868, and since 1966 has been administered by the Secular Clergy of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
Please enter this Church with respect. — Map (db m45276) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Skirmish of Albuquerque — April 8-9, 1862|
|While Confederate Brigadier General H. H. Sibley was assembling the bulk of his army at Santa Fe, Union Colonel E.R.S. Canby moved 1200 men from Fort Craig to occupy Albuquerque – "If it can be done without serious loss." Though outnumbered six to one, a small detachment of Confederates under Captain William P. Hardeman repulsed the attack and maintained possession of the town. — Map (db m45270) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — The Honorable Mary Coon Walters / Chief Justice Pamela B. Minzner — Women of the Judiciary|
| [Side A:]
The Honorable Mary Coons Walters
(1922 - 2001)
Ms. Walters, who was a transport pilot during World War II, was the only woman in her UNM law school class when she graduated at age 40. She served on the state Court of Appeals and as a probate judge. In 1984, she became the first female New Mexico Supreme Court justice. She was a role model and mentor to women in New Mexico's legal community.
Chief Justice Pamela B. Minzner . . . — Map (db m45331) HM|
|New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Tijeras — Tijeras Canyon|
|The pass between the Sandia and Manzano Mountains has been a natural route of travel between eastern New Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley since pre-historic times. Known as Canon de Carnue in the spanish colonial period it takes it's present name from the villiage of Tijeras, Spanish for "scissors". — Map (db m72732) HM|