|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Lake Crystal — Lake Crystal and the Railroad|
|"Who says we cannot build railroads in the winter?" asked the Mankato Weekly Union on December 10, 1869, in an article announcing that the tracks of the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad had reached the new town of Lake Crystal.
The decision of the railroad late in 1868 to locate its Sioux City line from Mankato past Crystal Lake led directly to the founding of the town itself. By May of 1869 railroad surveyors were engaged in planning the townsite, which embraced 40 acres of the . . . — Map (db m67364) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Amos Owen Garden of American Indian Horticulture|
Amos Owen was a Dakota elder and spiritual leader who wanted to preserve and restore traditional Dakota beliefs and practices. He believed that the suppression of Indian peoples had led to many parts of the culture being almost forgotten, and that this was a loss not only to Native Americans, but also to all people. This garden honors Amos’ commitment to cultural and spiritual renewal, cross-cultural understanding and Native people’s contributions to world food systems.
. . . — Map (db m21588) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Civil War Monument|
|In Honor of
Union Veterans of
the Civil War
Erected by the City of Mankato
for Alexander Wilkin Post No. 19
Department of Minnesota
Grand Army of the Republic — Map (db m67086) WM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Dakota (Sioux) Memorial – 1862|
|The last act of the Minnesota Dakota (Sioux) War took place here in Mankato on December 26, 1862 when thirty-eight Dakota Indians died in a mass execution on this site.
The Dakota War was a culmination of years of friction between Dakota and whites as settlement pushed into Indian hunting grounds. Government agents and missionaries hoped the Dakota could be taught to live as farmers and worship as Christians but Chief Big Eagle said many years later, “It seemed too sudden to make a . . . — Map (db m14195) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Highland Park — Mankato's "First" City Park|
|This area (Bunker Hill) once served as a Civil War recruitment center, but this was not the primary reason for its acquisition. The Mankato City Council purchased approximately 10.2 acres at 150 dollars an acre on October 15, 1874, with the intention of providing local residents with the first, dependable, free-flowing well. The following year an attempt was made to sink an artesian well into the hillside, but the water level never reached higher than 78 feet from the surface. Despite the . . . — Map (db m68276) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Ho-Chunk / Winnebago|
|Through treaty negotiations, the Ho-Chunk or Winnebago moved their homes to Blue Earth County in 1855, and by 1863 they were gone. Parts of what would become Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois had been their homeland for centuries. European explorers first contacted the Ho-Chunk near Green Bay, Wisconsin in 1614.
More than 2,000 Ho-Chunk resettled on a reservation located in present-day townships McPherson, Medo, Beauford, Decoria, Lyra, Rapidan and parts of South Bend, Mankato and LeRay. . . . — Map (db m14053) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Hubbard House|
|Rensselaer Dean Hubbard, successful entrepreneur and civic leader, built his house on Broad Street in three stages: in 1871, 1888 and 1905. During the
late 19th century, many of Mankato’s captains of industry and commerce established their residences along Third Street (renamed Broad Street). This neighborhood became known as the “Silk Stocking District.” Hubbard’s home was constructed in the French second empire style featuring a mansard roof, brick and wood construction, and a . . . — Map (db m66338) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Lincoln Park|
|The desire to honor the memory of Mankato's Civil War dead prompted a citizens' committee headed by John Ray to purchase the triangular parcel of land in the Warren's Addition, bordered by Broad, Lincoln and Grove streets, and dominated by a massive elm tree. On September 1, 1886, Trustees to Lincoln Park turned over the deed to the City of Mankato. In the mid-1880s, the Alexander Wilkin Post of the Grand Army of the Republic erected a bronze monument of a Civil War soldier standing on guard at . . . — Map (db m66655) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Ott Cabin|
|Built in 1857 in Mankato Township and was moved to this site, which was once the site of the fur trading post of Henry H. Sibley by the Blue Earth County Historical Society in 1931. — Map (db m66845) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sibley Park|
On October 3, 1887 the City of Mankato purchased 120 acres for $13,088 at the confluence of the Blue Earth and Minnesota Rivers to create Mankato’s first park. Sibley Park was named for Henry Hastings Sibley (later Minnesota’s first Governor) who as early as 1840 had camped on the mound and later had a fur trading post
northwest of the mound. Today Ott’s cabin stands at this site. It was built in 1857 by George Ott and moved to this site in 1931.
The land has great historical . . . — Map (db m66483) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sibley Park World War I|
|On Flag Day in 1926, two German 105mm howitzer field guns were dedicated at this Sibley Park
site as war trophies and memorials to the sacrifice made by those who served from Blue Earth County in
the First World War. These artillery pieces were captured by the U.S. 1st Division at a battlefield near
Soissons in France on or about July 20, 1918.
Four soldiers from Blue Earth County were in the battle in which these guns were captured and
77 officers and 1,637 enlisted men gave up their . . . — Map (db m66757) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Sinclair Lewis House|
|This brick home sheltered the renowned novelist Sinclair Lewis in 1919. A native of Minnesota, Lewis worked on the famed book, "Main Street," while residing here. Lewis was the first American to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1930. — Map (db m66511) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — The First Mahkato Memorial Wacipi|
| This memorial is to honor those Dakota who created the First Mahkato Wacipi in 1972.
The Wacipi is to remember the thirty-eight Dakota executed in Mankato in 1862 and to create a spirit of reconciliation between the people of Mankato and the Dakota people.
The following Dakota people with members of the Mankato YMCA planned the first Wacipi:
Amos & Ione Owen • Wallace & Gertrude Wells, Sr. • David Larsen, Sr. • Norman & Edith Crooks • Amos & Rosemma Crooks • Hereditary Chief . . . — Map (db m17506) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — The Lorin & Lulu Cray Home|
Lorin & Lulu Cray Home
was given to the
Young Women's Christian Association
for the women and girls of
Mankato and vicinity
Judge and Mrs. Lorin Cray
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m66783) HM|
|Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Washington Park / Fourth Street Route Depot Grounds|
During the summer of 1868, the Minnesota Valley Railway Company contracted more than 500 people to grade and lay ties and tracks from Kasota to Mankato, reaching Mankato October 3, 1868.
The mainline was known as the "Fourth Street Route" and the railroad yard occupied the Fourth Street right-of-way from Madison Avenue to Mulberry Street. The timber-framed depot was the showcase on this route. This plaque is near the center of the old depot. Directly north of the . . . — Map (db m66635) HM|