|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 1246 — Bourbon County, 1786|
|Named for the royal French family who aided the colonies in the War of Independence. Bourbon was one of nine Virginia counties formed before Kentucky became a state in 1792. From its original area all of twenty-four counties and parts of ten other new ones were made. At this site the first courthouse in 1787 marked the county seat. Known as Hopewell, renamed Paris. — Map (db m43621) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 2295 — Bourbon Whiskey / Jacob Spears|
| Bourbon Whiskey
Named after Bourbon Co. because of quantity and quality of whiskey produced within its borders. Made from a fermented mash of at least 51% corn, with less wheat, rye, or barley, yeast and limestone water. Distilled at no more than 160 proof and aged in charred oak barrels. In 1964, Congress recognized bourbon as a distinctly American product.
Stone Castle, 1 mile south, built 1790 by Thomas Metcalfe for Jacob Spears. A Pennsylvanian who settled . . . — Map (db m35597) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 51 — Cane Ridge Meeting House|
|Built by Presbyterians, 1791. Here Barton W. Stone began his ministry, 1796. Famous revival attended by pioneers of many faiths, 1801. Springfield Presbytery dissolved and "Christian Church" launched, June 28, 1804. — Map (db m9724) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 93 — Duncan Tavern|
|Built in 1788.
Gathering place of pioneers.
Shrine, Museum, Library.
Kentucky Daughters of the
American Revolution. — Map (db m43624) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 1824 — Eades Tavern|
|This log building lined with adz-hewn cherry was built as a tavern. In 1795 it became first post office in Paris. Thomas Eades then served as tavern owner and postmaster. Robert Trimble had home and law office here before becoming U.S. Supreme Court justice, 1826. It became site of Lizzie Walker's private school. Listed on National Register of Historic Places, 1973. — Map (db m43626) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 1722 — John Edwards 1748-1837 / Westwood|
| John Edwards 1748-1837
As early legislator, Edwards was member of the Virginia House of Delegates in 1781-83, 1785, 1786. He was a delegate to the convention to ratify Federal Constitution, June 1788, and to conventions that separated Kentucky from Virginia. Edwards served as a representative to the 1792 convention which framed the first constitution of Ky. Over. |
Six miles west on Brentsville Road on Cooper's Run is the site of the home of John Edwards, one of . . . — Map (db m43623) HM
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 1283 — Johnston's Inn|
|Robert Johnston, a Revolutionary War captain, was born in Virginia in 1749. He and his wife operated a tavern in their house here from 1796-1812. Located on what was the main road between Maysville and Lexington, this inn served stage and horseback passengers in its 30-foot tavern room with sleeping accommodations overhead. This house appears on first Ky. map of 1784. — Map (db m67703) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 1596 — Silas Baptist Church — 1 mile west|
|Organized by 20 members of the Cooper's Run Church in 1800, with the help of Ambrose Dudley, George Eve and Augustine Eastin. They built at this site on land given, 1798, by Charles Smith, Sr. The log structure was replaced by a brick house of worship in 1850 and redecorated in 1902. It is the oldest church in the county continuing without interruption. — Map (db m35860) HM|
|Kentucky (Bourbon County), Paris — 178 — William Holmes McGuffey|
|Born September 23, 1800-Died May 4, 1873 Famous for his eclectic readers which introduced thousands of children to the treasures of literature. At this site he taught from 1823 to 1826 before joining the faculty of Miami University. — Map (db m50653) HM|