HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Brooks County Markers
Georgia (Brooks County), Grooverville — 014-10 — Grooverville Methodist Church
This church had its beginning in 1832, on the plantation of William H. Ramsey, about 4 1/2 miles Southwest of here. There being no Methodist services in the vicinity at the time he and his family moved to this area. Mr. Ramsey built a brush-arbor near his home and there held Bible study and worship services. Later he joined with other Methodist families and built a long church 3 1/2 miles South on the road to St. Mark. They named this church, Lebanon, and some time during the 1840’s it was made . . . — Map (db m10025) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Grooverville — 014-4 — Liberty Baptist Church
Between 1837 and 1841 the Baptists in this section were stirred on Missions, Sunday Schools and ministerial support. In 1841 the Ocklochnee anti-Missionary Baptist Assn. passed a ruling to dismiss members believing in the “new fangled institutions of the day.” Disagreeing, Sister Nancy Hagen asked for her letter from Mt. Moriah Church and, at her request, was excommunicated. With Elisha Pack Smith, R. T. Stanaland, James I. Baker, Mrs. Sarah Ann Groover, Mrs. Mary Smith, Mrs. Amanda . . . — Map (db m10172) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Morven — 014-3 — Mount Zion Camp Ground
The first Camp Meeting was held on this site in 1828 by a "few scattered Methodists" before any Methodist Church in the area was organized. William Hendry, William Blair and Hamilton W. Sharpe, as a committee, selected the site. Rev. Adam Wyrick was the first visiting preacher. In 1831 Sion and Enoch Hall deeded the land on which the Camp Ground stood to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Housed first in a brush~arbor, the weeklong meetings were held without interruption until 1881. Then the camp . . . — Map (db m14761) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Morven — 014-6 — Old Coffee Road<–––– ––––>
The Old Coffee Road, first vehicular and postal route of this area, passed here running southwestward from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick, and Thomasville to the Florida line above Tallahassee. The thoroughfare was opened by direction of the State in 1823 under the superintendence of General John Coffee and Thomas Swain. This early way provided a short route from the older middle and eastern sections of the State into Southwest Georgia. Much of the former course remains in daily use. — Map (db m14751) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Nankin — 014-7 — Columbia Primitive Baptist Church
Columbia Primitive Baptist Church was formally constituted on the first Sunday in October, 1833, after serving as an arm of Bethany Church more than a year. Moses Dees was the first delegate from Columbia to the annual meeting of the mother church, Union on the Alapaha River, late in October 1833. On May 3, 1833, while Columbia was still an arm of Bethany Church, Thomas Newbern made a deed to the church property to Samuel T. Henderson, Moses Dees, and Jarvis T. Frier as Trustees for Columbia . . . — Map (db m14749) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Pavo — 014-8 — Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning. Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with Deacon William A. Knight. Charter members of Bethel Church were: Elder Melus Thigpen and his wife, Sarah; Archibald Strickland and his wife, Luander; Henry C. Tucker and his wife, Sarah. Elder Thigpen served as supply pastor until 1828, when the Rev. . . . — Map (db m51514) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-9 — Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church
Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church about 4 miles Southwest of here, was constituted November 29, 1834. The charter members included: William T. Rushing, his wife, Belinda; Asa Geiger, his wife, Nancy; William Jones, his wife, Elizabeth; James McLeod, his wife. Jemima; Jared Johnson; John Turner, his wife, Lucy; Emily Turner; Henry Rowell; Cynthia Rowell; James Rowell, his wife, Sarah; William C. Goff, his wife, Jincy; Rebecca Beasley; Nellie Goff. The Rev. Ryan Frier was the first pastor; . . . — Map (db m14747) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 14-1 — Brooks County
This county created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 11, 1858, is named for Preston Smith Brooks, zealous defender of States Rights. Born in S.C. Aug. 6, 1819, Brooks served in the Mexican War & in Congress. He died June 27, 1857. The first County Officers included: Ordinary Angus Morrison, Sheriff Enoch Hall Pike, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts D.W. McRae. Tax Collector George Alderman, Tax Receiver John Delk, Treasurer William F. Speight, Surveyor Jeremiah Wilson, Coroner John T. Devane, . . . — Map (db m26977) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 14-1 — Civil War Slave Conspiracy
In August 1864, during the American Civil War, four men were executed in Brooks County, Georgia, for conspiring to plot a slave insurrection. The conspirators – led by a local white man, John Vickery, and three slaves named Nelson, George, and Sam – planned to seize weapons and take control of the town of Quitman, securing it for the U.S. Army in nearby Florida. Local authorities discovered the plot before it could be carried out. All four conspirators were convicted of insurrection . . . — Map (db m40368) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-5 — Old Coffee Road<–––– ––––>
The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this area, crossed here, leading southwestward from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville to the Florida Line. The thoroughfare was opened by direction of the State in 1823 under the superintendence of General John Coffee and Thomas Swain. As a pioneer way this route played a significant part in the settlement and development of Southwest Georgia. Much of the former course remains in daily use. — Map (db m14763) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-2 — West End Cemetery
In this cemetery, during the last year of the War Between the States, a number of Confederate soldiers, 17 of them unknown, were buried. Memorial services for these soldiers were held as early as 1869. In 1871, on Memorial Day, April 26, a group of orphans from the Confederate Home, Lauderdale, Miss., attended the services. One child, by chance, found the grave of her father. In 1873 the Ladies Memorial Association was formed. This became the Quitman Memorial Association and is now the Quitman . . . — Map (db m26978) HM
11 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 117 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.