|Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin|
|Near this site stood the first Episcopal Mission in Wisconsin
Founded in 1827 by the Reverend Richard Fish-Cadle
Later first director of Nashotah House — Map (db m68040) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — First Redemptorist Church in America|
|The church of St. John the Evangelist, the first church of the Redemptorists in this hemisphere, stood 215 feet east of this marker. It was begun by Rev. S. Mazzuchelli, O. P. and completed by Redemptorist missionaries sent from Europe by Rev. Joseph Passerat, C. SS. R. They arrived here on August 31, 1832, the first resident priests in Wisconsin in over a hundred years. Called St. Francis Xavier by the Redemptorists, it was the only Catholic church in Wisconsin. The Redemptorists left in 1837. . . . — Map (db m66522) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — 239 — Heritage Hill State Park|
|This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, and Wisconsin's first courthouse. Through the site passed the military road linking Fort Howard with Fort Winnebago at Portage and Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien.
Many of the buildings at Heritage Hill are original structures that were saved . . . — Map (db m10544) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Allouez — The Catholic Bark Chapel|
|Built by the Indians for Father Claude Allouez in 1671, this is a replica of Wisconsin's first Catholic Church. The original was part of Mission St. Francis Xavior, about one mile south of this site. — Map (db m68048) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Address by President Lincoln At The dedication Of The Gettysburg National Cemetery|
|Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might . . . — Map (db m60509) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — Brown County Court House 1838 to 1854|
|The site of the Brown County Court House from 1838 to 1854.|
Erected by Jean Nicolet Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution,
1930 — Map (db m38984) HM
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 189 — Marquette–Jolliet|
|Here in June, 1673, an expedition headed by Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette and his companion Louis Jolliet departed from St. Francis Xavier Mission to find and explore the upper Mississippi River. In September they returned here to record their discoveries in their journals. The next spring Jolliet left for Quebec but the ailing Marquette remained at the mission until October. The mission stood on the bank of Fox River directly west of this spot. — Map (db m10393) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 266 — Rapides des Peres Voyageur Park|
|The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, and soldiers -- principally from France and from Canada (New France).
Beginning in the late 1600s, the French sent various emissaries to maintain good relations with the Indians and to Christianize them; to seek a water route to the Pacific; and . . . — Map (db m11053) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — St. Norbert College & The Packers Packers Heritage Trail Lambeau-Lombardi Spur|
|St. Norbert College became the training camp of the Packers in 1958 in an agreement that would become the longest such partnership in NFL history. Father Dennis M. Burke, then president of the college, suggested the arrangement to the team that year and solidified the relationship by forming a close bond with coaching legend Vince Lombardi.
Lombardi was hired by the Packers in 1959, and it was here during the summer months that he molded his great teams of the 1960s.
Renowned for his . . . — Map (db m56440) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), De Pere — 262 — White Pillars|
|This building was erected in 1836 to serve as the office of the Fox River Hydraulic Company, which was chartered by Wisconsin's first Territorial Legislature to construct a dam at Rapides des Peres. Following the 1837 financial crisis, notes issued by the company circulated as currency, making it one of the first de facto banks in Wisconsin. In subsequent years the building served as a barber shop, newspaper office, cabinet shop, private school, church and residence. — Map (db m10887) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Denmark — 373 — Denmark|
|In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subsequent years, German, Irish and Czech immigrants joined the Danes, and Denmark grew to be a prosperous farming and trading community. After a railroad line reached Denmark in 1906, the area became an important center for Wisconsin cheese and dairy production. — Map (db m22453) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 11 — 1634 1909|
|Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians.
Unveiled August 12, 1909, by members of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin and the Green Bay Historical Society. — Map (db m15786) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Alexis De Tocqueville|
|Alexis De Tocqueville
The 25 year-old French aristocrat
and author of Democracy In America
visited this area
during his 1831 - 1832 tour of America
Placed by C-Span and the cable television industry
while retracing the tour in 1997 - 1998 — Map (db m39543) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Augustin de Langlade|
|On the river shore
Block 3 Astor directly west of this
marker stood about the year 1745 the
home and trading house of
Augustin de Langlade
and his distinguished son Charles,
the first permanent settlers of Wisconsin.
Charles Michel de Langlade
"Bravest of the Brave"
led his Indian bands in ninety-nine battles.
His tact and diplomacy brought peace to the warring tribes along the Fox River. He was held in high esteem by French, English and Americans. His death . . . — Map (db m39145) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bank Of Wisconsin|
|On this site stood the
Bank Of Wisconsin
The first bank west
of Lake Michigan
The building was erected by
The American Fur Trading Co.
and was a part of John Jacob Astor
Trading House & office — Map (db m39144) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellevue Park Packers Heritage Trail Packing Plant Spur|
|Bellevue Park served as the Packers' home field from 1923 to 1924 and was the site of the first Packers-Bears game played in Green Bay.
Bellevue Park was built in less than three weeks in the spring of 1923 with wood salvaged from the stands at Hagemeister Park, where the Packers had previously played. Bellevue was built for baseball and reconfigured for the Packers later that year.
Capacity was listed at a little more than 3,300, but nearly 4,500 fans squeezed into the park's cramped . . . — Map (db m56414) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bellin Building Packers Heritage Trail|
|Gerald Clifford and Dr. W. W. Kelly, two members of the "Hungry Five," a group of local men critical to the survival of the Packers over their first three decades, had offices here. Kelly was a physician with an office on the fourth floor. Clifford was a partner in a law firm on the sixth floor, although he occupied suite 313 for a period in the 1930's.
The other members of the "Hungry Five" were Andrew Turnbull, Lee Joannes and Curly Lambeau.
The Bellin Building was completed in 1916 . . . — Map (db m56344) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Birthplace Of The Packers Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Green Bay Packers were organized on Aug. 11, 1919, in the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building that stood here at 315 Cherry Street. The meeting took place in the editorial department on the second floor.
Two days later, the paper briefly mentioned the meeting in a story headlined: "Indian Packing Plant Squad To Represent City." It was noted that the packing company would supply uniforms, and the team would play its games at Hagemeister Park. On Aug. 14, a second meeting was held here . . . — Map (db m56385) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County Civil War Memorial 61 Heroes 65|
|Dedicated To The Memory of the
brave men of
who fought to preserve the union.
Erected by the
Woman's Relief Corps
Auxiliary to the
Grand Army of the Republic
1934 — Map (db m43396) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Brown County Courthouse Packers Heritage Trail|
|The imposing Brown County Courthouse was where the first stockholders meeting of the newly formed non-profit Green Bay Football Corporation was held on Sept. 17, 1923. It was the first of many important Packer meetings held here over the next four decades.
When the franchise was recognized in 1935 under a new name, Green Bay Packers, Inc, the meeting was again held here. So was the meeting in 1950 when shareholders finalized plans for a third stock sale to save the franchise.
This . . . — Map (db m60522) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Bryan Bartlett Starr "Bart" No. 15|
| Quarterback 1956 to 1971
Head Coach 1975 to 1983
6 Conference Championships
5 NFL Championships
Pro Bowl Team 1961,62,63,67
All Pro Selection 1961,62,64,66
MVP Super Bowl 1
MVP Super Bowl 2
NFL MVP 1966
Elected to Pro Football
Hall of Fame 1977
One of the most reknowned champions
& humanitarians to ever play the
game. Admired by his teammates,
respected by his opponents,
beloved by the citizens of Green Bay,
the people of Wisconsin and fans
from . . . — Map (db m39251) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Chicago & North Western Depot Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Chicago & North Western Depot was the Packer's usual port of call for road trips over nearly four decades. And often those trips started or ended, or both, with a party thrown by the team's ever-faithful fans.
They threw impromptu homecoming parties following exhilarating victories and also pre-planned farewell parties to cheer up the players when times were tough.
The Packers left from here on their first road trip ever, to Ishpeming, Mich., on Oct. 19, 1919, and they continued . . . — Map (db m56341) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — City Stadium Packers Heritage Trail|
|City Stadium is one of the last remaining relics from the early days of the National Football League. Although its appearance has greatly changed from the time when the Packers played here, it stands as a monument to the team's humble, hardscrabble roots.
In its heyday, City Stadium was made mostly of wood and held about 25,000 people.
It was home to the Packers for 32 years. They played here for the first time on Sept. 13, 1925, in an exhibition game against the Iron Mountain . . . — Map (db m56388) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 494 — Cnesses Israel Synagogue|
|Upon this site stood Cnesses Israel Synagogue, the first Jewish congregation in Brown County dedicated September 4, 1904 (24 Elul 5664). Designed by local architect Henry A. Foeller, the synagogue was Moorish in design and had two octagonal towers flanking a central arched entry. — Map (db m51362) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Columbus Community Club Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Columbus Community Club, which opened in 1925 as a recreational and social center, played many roles in Packer history.
In the 1920s, before radio broadcasts of Packer games, large crowds gathered on Sunday afternoons when the team was playing on the road. A play-by-play was transmitted by telegraph wire from the site of the game, and the results were posted here on a large board built in the shape of a football field.
From 1927 until the mid-1930s, the Packers used the top floor . . . — Map (db m60523) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Birthplace Home Packers Heritage Trail|
|Earl Louis “Curly” Lambeau is Green Bay's most famous native son and the driving force behind the city's most treasured jewel. The storied Green Bay Packers were largely his creation, and they've become his lasting legacy.
Born in 1898, Lambeau first attracted attention when he starred in football at Green Bay East High School. When he graduated from the school in 1917, his senior class prophecy read: "When I get thru (sic) with athletics I'm going out and conquer the rest of . . . — Map (db m56336) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Curly Lambeau's Office Northern Building Packers Heritage Trail|
|Curly Lambeau occupied an office in the Northern Building for nearly 20 years while he was coaching the Packers, but visitors might have been taken aback by the sign on his door. It read: Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co.
Lambeau was an original tenant in the Northern Building when it opened in 1930. He occupied room 303 and doubled as district manager of the insurance company. Lambeau would move twice over the years, first to the fourth floor in the early 1930s and then to the . . . — Map (db m56362) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Downtown Green Bay Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Packers were founded in downtown Green Bay in 1919 and have had a presence here ever since.
In 1921, their inaugural season in what is now the NFL, they held their first practice at the Old Courthouse Grounds at the southwest corner of Cherry and Jefferson Streets. Later that year, before the first-ever Packer-Bears game, the Lumberjack Band gathered at DeLair's Cafe on Washington Street and paraded in hunting caps, mackinaws, corduroy pants and high boots en route to catching a . . . — Map (db m56346) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Earl L. (Curly) Lambeau Founder/V.P./Head Coach/Player 1919–49|
|Curly Lambeau founded the Green Bay Packers in 1919 and was a driving force in the team's early years, including the 1921 decision to join what is now the NFL. He served as head coach for the franchise's first 31 seasons, leading the Packers to six league championships (1929-30-31, 1936, 1939, 1944) and posting a 212-106-21 NFL record (.656). Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963. City Stadium renamed in his honor two years later. Was an outstanding prep athlete at Green Bay East . . . — Map (db m77462) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elks Club Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Elks Club was the site of an annual sports banquet that honored many of the biggest names in Packer history from the Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi eras.
The first was billed as the "Lombardi Testimonial Banquet" and was held in April 1962, four months after the Packers won their first NFL title under Lombardi. League Commissioner Pete Rozelle attended and presented Lombardi with the Ed Thorp Trophy, given each year to the NFL champion.
Later in 1962, Lambeau was honored here . . . — Map (db m56377) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Elvis Favorite Ride The Zippin Pippin|
|The Zippin Pippin was Elvis Presley's favorite ride. The "King" rented Libertyland August 8, 1977 from 1:15 a.m. to 7 a.m. to entertain a group of about 10 guests. Decked in a blue jumpsuit with black leather belt, huge belt buckle with turquoise studs and gold chains, the "King" rode the Zippin Pippin repeatedly during a two-hour period. He lost his belt buckle on the ride that morning, and it was found and returned the next day. Elvis's Libertyland rental became his last public appearance. He died August 16. — Map (db m66565) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — First Catholic Church In Green Bay|
| Near this site stood the first Catholic church in Green Bay begun in the year of our Lord 1823 by Father Gabriel Richard Vicar Apostolic of the Northwest and finished by Father Stephen Badin first resident pastor and missionary.
A short distance north of this was located the first Catholic cemetery, used for nearly a century. It was abandoned in 1835. Erected by the Marquette Club of Green Bay
1924 — Map (db m39394) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Fort Howard Stockade|
| 853 degrees north 45 degrees, 7 minutes east, from this tablet, stands a flag pole, marking the southeast corner of the stockade of Fort Howard; occupied by United States troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also stood the French fort, St. Francis, built prior to 1718, and rebuilt by the British in 1761, as Fort Edward Augustus. — Map (db m39257) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Freimann Hotel Building|
|In 1896, Michael Freimann built a large three story hotel building on what had previously been a vacant lot. The building first served as the O'Neil Hotel but was soon renamed the New Freimann Hotel in 1898. The building typically housed about ten tenants, many of whom worked on the railroad that traversed the east side of the Fox River. The railroad track is now a bike & walking path that lies between the building and the Fox River.
In 1937, after changing its name to the Hofman Hotel, . . . — Map (db m39058) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 237 — Green Bay Packers|
|The Green Bay Packers, an institution and a legend, are unique.
The only publicly-owned club in professional sports, they were founded as a town team in 1919 by E. L. "Curly" Lambeau, who coached them to six world championships. They acquired their first jerseys by persuading a packing company to put up money for equipment and, originally, played their games in an open field, where fans "passed the hat."
Nurtured into a professional football power that has left a lasting imprint on . . . — Map (db m37200) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Green Bay Press-Gazette Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Packers might have been born in the old Press-Gazette building five years before this one was completed, but the close ties between the team and the newspaper carried on here. Had it not been for the Press-Gazette, and particularly Andrew Turnbull and George Whitney Calhoun, the Packers probably wouldn't have survived.
Turnbull's business sense and generosity helped keep the team financially afloat. Calhoun's tireless work kept it relevant. And the two regularly conducted team business . . . — Map (db m56358) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hagemeister Park Packers Heritage Trail|
|Hagemeister Park was the home of the Packers from 1919, their inaugural season as a semipro team, through 1922, their second year in the NFL.
Before East High School and City Stadium were built, Hagemeister Park included the tract of land from Baird Street east and Walnut Street north to the East River.
In 1919 the Packers played on a sandlot with no fence or seating. In 1920 they enclosed he field with a wooden fence so they could charge admission. But after the season ended, the . . . — Map (db m56395) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 156 — Hazelwood|
|On this site Morgan L. Martin (1805-87) built this home in 1837, after his marriage to Elizabeth Smith of Plattsburgh, N.Y. It was a center of social, literary and political accomplishment for nearly a century. Coming here in 1827 as a young attorney, he began to lay the foundation for Statehood. A member of the Michigan Territorial Council 1831-35, he returned in 1838-44 to serve on the Wisconsin Territorial Council. From 1845-47 he represented the Territory in Congress, at which time he . . . — Map (db m37202) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hazelwood Hazelwood was the home... Fox River Trail|
of the Morgan L. Martin family for 100 years (1837-1937). Martin was a prominent Green Bay attorney, civic leader, Indian agent and entrepreneur, originally from upstate New York, who helped lay the foundation for Wisconsin's statehood. In 1848, Martin was elected president of the state convention, which drafted Wisconsin's constitution. President Polk signed the Act of Admission on May 29, 1848, making Wisconsin the 30th state to enter the union.
Martin risked his considerable fortune . . . — Map (db m37204) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 540 — Historic Green Bay Road|
| In 1829, citizens of the Green Bay area petitioned Congress to build a road to Chicago. Following an ancient Indian trail, the military road to connect Fort Howard at Green Bay with Fort Dearborn at Chicago was surveyed by the U.S. War Department in 1835. Construction began in 1838, but after completion the road was little used by the military and soon became known as the Green Bay Road. This is the north end of the 200 mile historic road that many immigrant settlers used to reach their new homes in Wisconsin. — Map (db m68166) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Hotel Northland Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Hotel Northland was the social hub of Green Bay and more specifically the city's nerve center during football weekends and other Packer events from shortly after it opened in 1924 through the 1960s.
Vince Lombardi's introductory press conference was held here. The hotel was the site of the NFL meeting held in Green Bay in 1927. It was the base for the Packers' training camp in 1950. And when Green Bay played host to NFL championship games in 1961, 1965 and 1967, the Northland served as . . . — Map (db m60521) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Indian Packing Plant & Acme Packing Plant Packers Heritage Trail Packing Plant Spur|
|The Indian Packing Corp. was the original sponsor of the Packers. Curly Lambeau was working at the packing plant in 1919 when he took the lead in organizing the team. Frank Peck, the company's president at the time, gave Lambeau $500 in cash to buy uniforms.
The Acme Packing Co. bought out Indian Packing in December 1920 and sponsored the Packers the following fall in their first season in what became the NFL.
Two buildings that were part of the plant back then are still standing, and . . . — Map (db m60562) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Influence of the Fur Trade Green Bay was home... Fox River Trail|
to many people for thousands of years before the first Europeans arrived. The rich waters of the bay attracted a number of American Indian Tribes - all members of a large and complex trading network stretching throughout North America.
Green Bay's first European visitors also wanted to trade, but they were only interested in one item: beaver furs. From the 1600s to the 1830s, no fashion
accessory was more important for the well-dressed European man than a hat made from beaver fur. The . . . — Map (db m43813) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 32 — La Baye Burial Place "La Baye Cemetery"|
| La Baye burial place 1720 - 1835 Land donated by Domitille de Langlade Grignon - Langevin — Map (db m39398) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Love at First Leap [The Lambeau Leap]|
Since that frigid December day in 1993 when LeRoy Butler made a spontaneous leap into the arms of fans, the Lambeau Leap has become a Packers tradition. It declares that nothing gets in the way between Packers players and their fans. In all of football, nothing symbolizes a greater connection between players and fans than the Lambeau Leap. To the fans who welcome every player with open arms, we thank you. Here's your chance to experience your own Lambeau Leap right here, right now. Make it legendary. — Map (db m89954) HM
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Menomineeville, Seat of Justice In 1823, James Doty... Fox River Trail|
was appointed by President Monroe as a district judge for the northern and western Michigan Territory, which included what is now the state of Wisconsin. Doty set up the region's new court in an empty log building.
Three years later, prominent fur trader John Lawe platted a town in the area that included the courthouse. Lawe, who had enormous influence with the Menominee Indians, recorded the town as "Munnomonee." In later years known as Menomineeville, the town became the seat of . . . — Map (db m43822) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road Depot Packers Heritage Trail|
|Back when The Packers traveled exclusively by train, they were welcomed home here at the Milwaukee Road Depot by throngs of joyous fans after clinching three of the six NFL championships they won under Curly Lambeau. The celebrations took place after the Packers captured league titles in 1931, 1936 and 1939.
The Legion Band entertained the gathering in 1931 by playing "On Wisconsin" and "Go You Packers." In 1936, the crowd was estimated at 10,000. The 1939 homecoming was followed by a . . . — Map (db m56337) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot Fox River Trail|
| The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad
later known as the Milwaukee Road came to Green Bay in 1873.
This depot was built in 1898 and was the only passenger depot located on the east side of the river. It served as a passenger depot from 1898 to 1938 (approximately 10 passenger trains per day) and again from 1945 to 1946 (about 12 passenger trains per day). After the decline of passenger railway service, the passenger depot closed but continued as a freight depot. . . . — Map (db m43821) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Minahan's Tomb Overlooking Riverside Drive... Fox River Trail|
and the Fox River Trail is the tomb of Dr. William Edward Minahan, who died in the sinking of the Titanic. William had four brothers who were also doctors, and his oldest brother, Robert, was also a lawyer who served as mayor of Green Bay from 1904 through 1907.
William Minahan was a native of Chilton, Wisconsin, where he graduated from high school. He briefly pursued teaching but decided to become a doctor instead. He attended medical school in Chicago and graduated with high honors. . . . — Map (db m43818) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Naval Veterans Monument|
|Dedicated to the Glory of God
and in Memory to All Men and
Women Who Served in the Naval
Forces of the United States
Erected by the Navy Club, Ship 18
Rededicated June 1996 — Map (db m66600) WM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Nicolet Landing 1634-1909|
|Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, Emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the
Winnebago Indians. — Map (db m39541) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Oneida Veterans Memorial|
|Welcome to the Oneida Veterans Memorial
About the War: The civil war was fought in 1861-1865 between the United States (the "Union" or the "North") and several southern slave states that declared their secession and formed the Confederate States of America (the "Confederacy" or the "South"). The war had its origin in the issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories. After four years of bloody combat that left over 600,000 . . . — Map (db m78976) WM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Heritage Trail Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Packers Heritage Trail was designed as a self-guided walking tour past a treasure trove of landmarks that played a big part in the history of the Green Bay Packers from Curly Lambeau's era through Vince Lombardi's.
During those 50 years, from 1919 to 1968, the Packers cut their teeth as a sandlot football team, joined what became the National Football League, and not only miraculously survived in its smallest city but won a record 11 league championships.
That period in their . . . — Map (db m56310) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Office Building Packers Heritage Trail|
|The Packers moved into the south side of this building, located at 349 S. Washington St., in 1949 and occupied it until a new administration building was completed next to what is now Lambeau Field in 1963.
Curly Lambeau was the first coach to have his office here in what was his final season with the Packers, and Vince Lombardi was the last. Lombardi worked here during his first four seasons as coach.
The Packers' ticket office occupied the front part of the first floor while the . . . — Map (db m60579) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Packers Practice Fields Packers Heritage Trail Packing Plant Spur|
|During the 32 seasons that the Packers played at City Stadium, they mostly practiced on nearby fields. As early as 1923, when East High was under construction, the Packers practiced in front of the school in Joannes Park.
In 1937, they created a practice field east of the high school and covered much of the large open area that can be seen just ahead. Two years later, they built a fence around it that bordered Walnut Street and stretched to the East River. It remained the Packers' regular . . . — Map (db m56411) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Port of Green Bay's Economic Impact A Critical Link... Fox River Trail|
in Wisconsins transportation system is the Port of Green Bay. It serves as a multi-modal distribution center connecting waterborne vessels with an extensive network of highways and railroads. The Port of Green Bay provides Northeast Wisconsin manufacturers a cost-effective way to receive raw materials from suppliers and to ship high-valued finished goods to customers.
Each year the Port of Green Bay transports more than 2 million metric tons of coal, limestone, cement, salt, pig iron, . . . — Map (db m43812) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — 62 — Red Banks|
|Many of the explorers who followed Columbus were more interested in finding an easy route to Asia than they were in exploring and settling this continent. In 1634 Jean Nicolet, emissary of Gov. Samuel de Champlain of New France, landed at Red Banks on the shore of Green Bay about a mile west of here. His mission was to arrange peace with the "People of the Sea" and to ally them with France. Nicolet half expected to meet Asiatics on his voyage and had with him an elaborate Oriental robe which he . . . — Map (db m22457) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Riverside Ballroom Packers Heritage Trail Packing Plant Spur|
|The Packers used the Riverside as indoor practice facility when there were no such luxuries. Before their final game in 1940, Coach Curly Lambeau held practice here over two days due to snow, ice and sub-freezing temperatures. The Packers worked out here again following a snowstorm in 1942.
In 1959, nearly 1,000 guests filled the Riverside for the Packers' kickoff dinner before Vince Lombardi's first season as coach. "This is your team," Lombardi told the crowd. "It belongs to the City of . . . — Map (db m56408) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Robert E. Harlan Plaza|
|Robert E. (Bob) Harlan, the ninth president in Packers history, played a central role in orchestrating the $295 million Lambeau Field redevelopment, first unveiled in 2000 and completed at the start of the 2003 season. Harlan's unwavering leadership and vision for the project helped ensure the club's long-term financial viability while persevering the hallowed history and tradition of the Packers' storied venue. The transformation of Lambeau Field into a year-round destination venue also was in . . . — Map (db m77463) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — September 11, 2001 Memorial In Loving Memory Of The Known And Unknown, The Found And The Unfound|
The World Trade Center - American Airlines Flight 11 - American Airlines Flight 175 - United Airlines Flight 93 - United Airlines Flight 77 - The Pentagon
Kevin F. Cleary
Ramzi A. Doany
Andrea L. Haberman
John P. Hart
Lt. Col. Dennis M. Johnson
Scott M. Johnson
Lt. Col. Deane E. Mattson
Pastor Jeffrey P. Mladenik
Ann N. Nelson
Barbara K. Olson
Jason D. Oswald
Michell L. Robotham
Cmdr. Dan Frederic Shanower
Daniel W. Song
Patricia J. . . . — Map (db m43283) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Shantytown In 1820, as a defensive move, Fox River Trail|
Fort Howard commander Colonel Joseph Smith moved the garrison to near this location, about a half-mile back from the shore. The high ridge on which the camp,
dubbed “Camp Smith,” was located provided good visibility and protection from disease - both advantages over the prior location of the fort (on the west side of the Fox River and three miles to the north). The new establishment was short-lived: in 1822, Colonel Pinkney took command of the fort, and the War Department . . . — Map (db m43820) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — St. Willebrord Catholic Church Packers Heritage Trail|
|St. Willebrord Catholic Church was where Vince Lombardi faithfully attended Mass during his 10 years in Green Bay. A devout Catholic, Lombardi would invariably arrive minutes before 8 a.m. on weekdays, park in the back lot and enter the church through a side door.
When Lombardi first arrived in Green Bay in 1959, the Packers' office building on Washington Street was located within two blocks of St. Willebrord. But even after the team moved its offices to Lambeau Field, Lombardi maintained . . . — Map (db m56359) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Birthplace Home of Earl "Curly" Lambeau|
|Built in 1868, this example of mid-19th century architecture is one of the oldest homes on its original foundation with its original exterior.
On April 9, 1898, two residents of this home, Marcel and Mary Lambeau, gave birth to their first child, Earl "Curly" Lambeau. Curly went on to star in football at Green Bay East High School, located just 5 blocks from this spot. He then briefly attended Notre Dame University in 1918, scoring the first touchdown ever for Motre Dame's first year . . . — Map (db m39007) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Fort Howard Story Green Bay's Fort Howard, Fox River Trail|
as well as Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, was built following the War of 1812 to establish a U.S. presence in the Wisconsin territory and strategically cut off British access to trade routes. The forts were also used to construct Wisconsin's military roads and to negotiate treaties with the American Indian populations.
Augustin Grignon guided U.S. troops down through the Great Lakes and into the Bay in 1816 to the location where Fort Howard was to be built, directly across the river . . . — Map (db m43816) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Little House with a Big History The Roi-Porlier-Tank Cottage... Fox River Trail|
has an extraordinary rich history in Green Bay, as it was home to a fur trader, schoolmaster, judge
In 1803, a French Canadian fur trader by the name of Joseph Roi built the small cottage along the
west bank of the Fox River directly across from here. Two years later the cottage was sold to Judge
Jacques Porlier. Porlier was the first schoolmaster in the early 1790s and by 1820 had been named chief justice of the Brown County Court.
Nils Otto Tank was a . . . — Map (db m43823) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port & the Environment Waterborne transportation... Fox River Trail|
is the most cost-effective mode of transportation when compared to truck or rail. Ships quietly move cargo farther (per ton mile) and more efficiently than trucks or trains. Most importantly, ships move cargo more safely than trucks and trains.
Consider that a ship destined for the Port of Green Bay carrying 18,000 tons of coal from Sandusky, Ohio, through the Great Lakes will burn more than 7,000 gallons of fuel. However, if that same amount of coal was delivered to Green Bay by rail, . . . — Map (db m43814) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Port of Today The Port of Green Bay... Fox River Trail|
is a vital part of our local economy, our history and our lives. It plays an important role in the transportation of goods and commodities that are critical to the economic health of the region. The Port of Green Bay receives and/or sends commodities as far south as Sheboygan, Wisconsin, west to Wausau, Wisconsin, and north into the the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Waterborne transportation provides an efficient and environmentally friendly mode of transportation.
Thirteen port . . . — Map (db m43817) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Significance of the Port Waterways are transportation... Fox River Trail|
and geographic location is everything. The sparkling waters of Green Bay and sweeping rivers feeding into it
have attracted numerous industries over the past few hundred years. The French fur-trading empire of the
early 1700s gave way to harvesting the thick surrounding forests for lumber and shingles in the 1800s. Rapid agriculture growth followed on the cleared lands while sawmills, smelting furnaces, paper
mills and other factories needing water in their processes hugged the river by . . . — Map (db m43819) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — The Spirit of the Northwest|
| This statue, designed by Suamico native, Sydney Bedore, and dedicated on June 10, 1931 with Governor Phillip Lafollette among the speakers, represents a Fox Indian, Claude Allouez and Nicholas Perrot. Native Americans lived in Wisconsin for about ten thousand years before the arrival of Europeans. These original settlers were ancestors of the Winnebago, Menominee and Santee Dakota. Other tribes, such as the Fox, Sauk, Mascouten, Kickapoo, Miami, and Chippewa moved into this region during the . . . — Map (db m39250) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr. "Reaper Leader"|
June 17, 1906
July 9, 1958
Navy Cross May
7 - 8, 1942
Distinguished Service Medal
July 1953 - June 1958
Legion of Merit W/Combat "V"
Dec. 1944 - May 1945
Distinguished Flying Cross W/Two Gold Stars
Nov 1942 - Aug 1943
Bronze Star W/Combat "V"
Sept - Oct 1944
Navy Commendation Ribbon W/Combat "V"
May 11, 1945
Presidential Unit Citation W/5 Blue Stars
1941 - 1945 American Defense Service Medal
Asistic - Pacific Campaign Medal . . . — Map (db m39232) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Vincent T. (Vince) Lombardi Head Coach/G.M. 1959-67; General Manager 1968|
|Vince Lombardi directed the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships in seven years (1961-62, 1965-66-67) – a feat without parallel in pro football history. His 1966 and '67 teams also won the first two Super Bowls. Lombardi forged an impressive .758 winning percentage in Green Bay (98-30-4), including a remarkable 9-1 playoff mark, and never had a losing season. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, a year after the Super Bowl trophy was renamed in his honor. Played . . . — Map (db m77461) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Green Bay — Zachary Taylor "Old Rough and Ready"|
| Major Zachary Taylor served as commandant of Fort Howard for nearly three years, arriving in the spring of 1817 with 500 men of the fifth United States Infantry.
He would become the twelfth president of the United States on the fifth of March, 1849 and die in office on the ninth of July, 1850. — Map (db m57539) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Lawrence — 105 — Eleazer Williams|
| This site is part of a 4800-acre tract patented to Eleazer Williams by the United States. In 1882 Williams led a delegation of New York Indians to the Fox River Valley, hoping to set up an Indian Empire in the West. A year later he married the daughter of a pioneer French-Canadian blacksmith, Joseph Jourdain and his Menominee-French wife. The couple settled in a cabin on the bank of the river but the building of the De Pere dam forced them to rebuild it on higher ground. In 1841 the French . . . — Map (db m57219) HM|
|Wisconsin (Brown County), Oneida — 502 — Revolutionary War Veteran|
|James Powlis, whose Oneida name Tewakatelyλ·thale! means "I'm Worried", was born around 1750, probably in New York State. In 1777, after the disintegration of the Iroquois Confederacy's neutrality, Congress sought to offset the allegiance of four of the six Confederacy tribes to the British by winning the allegiance of the remaining two, the Oneida and Tuscarora.
Powlis, an Oneida Chief, enlisted in the Continental Army also in 1777. Congress preceded the offer of army commissions . . . — Map (db m11097) HM|