HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Buckingham County Markers
Virginia (Buckingham County), Arvonia — F 64 — Arvonia
The name Arvonia was derived from Caernarvon, Wales, home to the Welsh quarrymen who settled the area in the mid-19th century. Arvonia is known for the long-lasting and unfading blue-black Buckingham slate that adorns many of Virginia's historic buildings including Berkeley and the Executive Mansion, as well as Colonial Revival dwellings across the nation. Most Arvonia houses, and other buildings, are ornamented with slate; it is also used for tombstones in local cemeteries. Buckingham slate . . . — Map (db m28974) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — O 42 — After Appomattox
Just to the south a monument marks the spot where the tent of Robert E. Lee stood the night of April 12-13, 1865. — Map (db m21104) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Buckingham County War Memorial
In memory of all those of Buckingham County who died in the military service of our Country and in honor of all those who served. Emplaced by the people of Buckingham County through the Buckingham County Ruritan Club. May 28, 1990. World War I Len Bartee • Marshall H. Coleman • Avery Coles • Charlie Hartwell • Junius Kyle • Ethelbert T. Loving • Walker H. Mann • Thomas J. Martin • Jasper S. Maxey • Emmet Nash • Asa L. Ragland • John W. Shoemaker • Littleton W. Snoddy • Fred Spencer . . . — Map (db m67328) WM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Buckingham Courthouse
Designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1821, Burned in 1869, Rebuilt in 1878. The exterior follows Jefferson’s plan with the interior redesigned. Copy of original plan and specifications on display in courthouse. Registered in 1969 as a National and Virginia Historic Landmark. Renovated in 1976. — Map (db m15689) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Buckingham CourthouseHistoric District
Designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1821, burned in 1869, rebuilt in 1873. The exterior follows Jefferson’s plan with the interior redesigned. Copy of original plan and specifications on display in courthouse. Registered in 1969 as a National and Virginia Historic Landmark. Renovated in 1976. Appvd. by Buckingham Board of Supervisors 1977. Map (db m21108) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Confederate Soldiers of Buckingham County
To commemorate the devotion and heroism of the Confederate Soldiers of Buckingham County, who valued principle more than life, and fought for a cause they knew to be just. 1861 1865 — Map (db m21110) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — O 39 — Geographical Center of Virginia
About two miles south and one-half mile west is the geographical center of the state. Latitude: 37° 30.6' north Longitude: 78° 37.5' west — Map (db m21133) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — 4 — One-Room SchoolhouseBuckingham, Virginia — Buckingham County
Union Grove School is representative of the many one-room schools for African-American students in Buckingham County and throughout the area. The African-American members of the community built Union Grove around 1925, and like most schools, it was named after a local church. An African-American farmer and storeowner donated the land, and the parents of students cut and milled the lumber. At first, both students and teachers walked to school. The teachers were usually women of the . . . — Map (db m21148) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Thomas Jefferson’s Lost CourthouseA Research Project of the Longwood Archaeology Field School
“Buckingham County, 26th February, 1869 A Editor’s dispatch: sad calamity has befallen our country. The court-house was set fire yesterday morning at about 1 o’clock, and by daylight was a mass of ruins.” Source: Richmond Times-Dispatch March 2, 1869 1 With the burning and complete destruction of the courthouse on February 25, 1869 the people of Buckingham County, Virginia, experienced a profound and far-reaching loss. All deeds and public records dating from . . . — Map (db m67320) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Thomas Jefferson’s Lost CourthouseA Research Project of the Longwood Archaeology Field School
“I have taken the liberty to trespass upon your time and talents (a common stock) which we all seem to have a right to draw upon, …to draft for us a plan of our Court house,…” Source: Letter from Colonel Charles Yancey to Thomas Jefferson 7 After the fire, the Justices of the Buckingham County Court appointed commissioners to see to the design and construction of a new courthouse as well as to: “…take such steps as may seem necessary to them to . . . — Map (db m67321) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — Thomas Jefferson’s Lost CourthouseA Research Project of the Longwood Archaeology Field School
“When buildings are of durable materials, every new edifice is an actual and permanent acquisition to the state, adding to its value as well as to its ornament…” Source: Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia 8 The results of the excavation indicate a plan for the Jefferson courthouse that is substantially different from the 1873 courthouse as well from is smaller sister courthouse located in Charlotte County—the only other courthouse designed by . . . — Map (db m67322) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Cumberland — Z 142 — Buckingham County / Cumberland County
(Obverse) Buckingham County Area 584 square miles Formed in 1761 from Albemarle, and named for Buckinghamshire, England. Peter Francisco, noted Revolutionary soldier, lived in this county. (Reverse) Cumberland County Area 293 square miles Formed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776. — Map (db m21134) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Cumberland — O 99 — Robert Bolling(1738-1775)
Robert Bolling, member of the House of Burgesses, lived near here at his home Chellowe. A prolific writer, he published many poems as well as a treatise on wine-making. In 1766, Bolling precipitated a crisis when in an article in the Williamsburg Virginia Gazette he accused prominent legislators of showing favoritism in allowing their friend, and accused murderer, John Chiswell bail. Lt. Gov. Francis Fauquier instructed a grand jury “to punish the Licentiousness of the Press” . . . — Map (db m74003) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Curdsville — F 59 — March to Appomattox
Part of Lee's army passed here retreating westward, April 8, 1865. The Sixth (Wright's) Corps of Grant's Army passed here, in pursuit, in the afternoon of the same day, moving on toward Appomattox. — Map (db m28112) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Dillwyn — F 62 — Buckingham Training School
One mile southeast stood Buckingham Training School, the first high school in the county for African American students. In 1919 the Rev. Stephen J. Ellis organized the County-Wide League for School Improvement to persuade the Buckingham County School Board to build a secondary school for black students. When this effort failed, Ellis and his supporters raised $3,000 to match a grant from the Julius Rosenwald Fund, established in 1917 to build schools for black students in the rural South. The . . . — Map (db m29157) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Dillwyn — F 54 — Female Collegiate Institute
Two miles east is the site of the first college for women in Virginia, the Female Collegiate Institute. Opened in 1837, it failed in 1843. Reopened in 1848, it survived until 1863. The school building has been destroyed but the "President's Cottage" still stands. — Map (db m21128) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Dillwyn — F 55 — Gold Mines
This was the most notable gold-mining region in the country before the California gold rush in 1849. The Morrow Mine here, opened before 1835, was one of the earliest gold mines in which underground mining was employed. Profitably worked for a number of years, it was finally closed. Many other unworked mines are near by. — Map (db m29159) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — Buckingham Baptist Church1771 - 1949
Built in early eighteenth century by order King of England as an Episcopal Church. Reorganized as Baptist Church in 1771 with Rene Chastain, Pastor Edgar H Patton, Pastor — Map (db m28527) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — Z 22 — Buckingham County / Fluvanna County
(Buckingham County Side): Located in the geographical center of Virginia, Buckingham County, the only county in the United States to bear that name, was formed in 1761 from Albemarle County. It is not known for which of the many Buckinghams in English history the county was named. With its Greek Doric courthouse, Confederate monument, and clerk's office, Buckingham County's court square exemplifies the classic 19th-century rural courthouse village. (Fluvanna County Side): . . . — Map (db m31358) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — F 53 — Carter G. Woodson1875 - 1950
Three miles east is the birthplace of the noted teacher, educator and historian, Dr. Carter G. Woodson. He was the founder of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, Journal of Negro History, originated negro history week and authored more than a dozen important works dealing with his race in the United States. — Map (db m28972) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — F 57 — Carter G. Woodson Birthplace
Carter Godwin Woodson was born about three miles east on 19 December 1875. As a youth he mined coal near Huntington, W. Va. He earned degrees at Berea College (B.L., 1903), University of Chicago (B.A. and M.A., 1908), and Harvard (Ph. D., 1912) -- one of the first blacks awarded a doctorate by Harvard. In 1915 he organized the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History and in 1916 established the Journal of Negro History. Known as the Father of Afro-American History, Woodson . . . — Map (db m28977) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — 5 — Carter G. Woodson BirthplaceNew Canton, Virginia — Buckingham County
North of this sign is the birthplace of Dr. Carter G. Woodson. Dr. Woodson was born December 19, 1875, to former slaves, James Henry and Eliza Ann Riddle Woodson. Young carter left Buckingham to work in West Virginia when he was 17 years old. He began working in the coal mines in the Huntington, West Virginia area. While in West Virginia he entered Douglass High School and completed four years of high school in less than two years. Dr. Woodson was committed to education. He attended . . . — Map (db m31608) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), New Canton — F 56 — Old Buckingham Church
The original or southwest wing was erected about 1758 as a church for the newly-formed Tillotson Parish. It was abandoned following the Disestablishment of the Anglican Church in Virginia in 1784, and thereafter was acquired by the Buckingham Baptist Congregation, organized in 1771. It continues in use as the meeting house of Buckingham Baptist Church. — Map (db m21131) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Pleasant Valley — F 63 — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp P-56, Company 1367
On this site in July 1933, CCC Camp P~56 Company 1367, opened with an enrollment of 192 Virginia men. The camp, which was organized as one of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal employment programs, consisted of 52 small barracks, a large dining hall, two garages, and many other buildings. While at this camp, the men constructed 275 miles of forest roads, several bridges, three lookout towers, and numerous recreation buildings. The CCC also provided opportunities for the young men to . . . — Map (db m28307) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Pleasant Valley — O 38 — MillbrookHome of John Wayles Eppes
Approximately 2 miles east stood Millbrook (1811-1866), home of U.S. Senator John Wayles Eppes (1773-1823). He attended the University of Pennsylvania, was graduated from Hampden-Sydney College, and was admitted to the Bar in 1794. He married Maria, daughter of Thomas Jefferson, in 1797. His second wife was Martha Burke Jones. Eppes served in the Virginia House of Delegates and the Congress of the United States. It is believed that Jefferson advised Eppes on the design and landscaping of Millbrook. The house burned in 1866. — Map (db m28305) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Sheppards — CliftonLee’s Retreat — April 8, 1865
Generals Grant and Meade used this location for their headquarters during the night. Grant stayed in the house and it was here that he received Lee’s second letter suggesting a peace meeting. He left the next morning for Appomattox Court House. Next Stop New Store 4.4 miles — Map (db m11866) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Sheppards — F 60 — Eve of Appomattox
Part of Lee’s army passed here, April 8, 1865, retreating westward. The second (Humphrey’s) Corps of Grant’s army passed, in pursuit, in the afternoon of the same day. Grant spent the night here, receiving early in the morning of April 9 a note from Lee in regard to surrender. He sent a reply and then went on to Appomattox. — Map (db m11864) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Sheppards — New StoreLee’s Retreat — April 8, 1865
At this point, General Lee’s army would change its line of march: Gordon’s corps now took the lead while Longstreet’s corps became the rearguard. They would continue to be pursued by Union army corps under Generals Humphreys and Wright. Next Stop Lee’s Rearguard 15.2 miles — Map (db m11867) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Sheppards — F 61 — New Store Village
Four miles west is the site of New Store Village, in early times an important stop on the stage coach road between Richmond and Lynchburg. Philip Watkins McKinney, governor of Virginia 1890-1894, was born here in 1832. Peter Francisco, Revolutionary War hero, grew to maturity at nearby Hunting Towers, home of Judge Anthony Winston, an uncle of Patrick Henry. — Map (db m29166) HM
29 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 156 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.