HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Bucks County Markers
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bensalem — Katharine Drexel — (1858 - 1955)
Catholic religious founder and missionary. She used her family’s fortune to fund mission schools and churches for Native and African Americans. She professed her vows in 1891, founded her own order, the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, and directed it for over 40 years. Drexel’s ministries addressed social inequities and provided quality education to minorities at schools like Holy Providence School here. She was canonized in 2000. — Map (db m28388) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bridgeton Twp — Veterans Memorial, Bridgeton Twp — Upper Black Eddy, PA
Dedicated to those members of the armed forces of the United States who have honorable and unselfishly served their country. — Map (db m19232) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Bristol
Early river port laid out as Buckingham, 1697. The third oldest borough in Pennsylvania, chartered Nov. 14, 1720. County seat of Bucks, 1705-26. Travel and trade center for over two hundred years. — Map (db m28383) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Bristol Township Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Vietnam The Great Indochina War Bristol Township Vietnam Veterans Memorial Dedicated November 5, 1988 In honored memory of the men and women of Bristol Township who served their country in South East Asia, and to our heroic sons who gave their lives for the cause of freedom. "We gave it everything we had" — Map (db m24042) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Canal Office — 1832 - 1931
“A quiet little village at the southern end of the canal suddenly awakened to find itself a teaming river port swarming with canal boats, boatmen, mules, and river and coastal boats of all sorts.” C.P. Yoder Delaware Canal Journal Bristol Booms The Canal turned Bristol into a boomtown. The Canal Office that once stood approximately in the location of the brick pavers (on which this sign rests) took care of company business - primarily collecting freight . . . — Map (db m31279) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Columbus 500 Celebration
This monument was erected by the citizens of the 140th legislative district in tribute to Christopher Columbus and those who followed him to America. Celebration We celebrate the 500th anniversary of the 1st voyage of Christopher Columbus, whose great talent, courage, and persistence helped link for the first time the nations of Europe with the Americas, encouraging further exploration and leading to the settlement of the New World, including the United States. Commemoration . . . — Map (db m31448) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Harriet Ross Tubman — Abolitionist - American Hero — circa 1820 - 1913
Harriet Tubman escaped from slavery in 1849. She fled to Philadelphia where, as a conductor on the Underground Railroad, she made 19 sorties into the South, liberating over 300 slaves. Ms. Tubman also served as a spy and nurse for the Union Army during the Civil War. Harriet Tubman - authentic American Hero. — Map (db m31308) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Joseph Ridgway Grundy — (1863 - 1961)
Widely regarded as a key figure in state and national Republican Party politics, he advocated pro-business, low tax, and high tariff policies. An influential industrialist, publisher, banker, lobbyist, and politician, he founded the Pa. Manufacturers Association, 1909, and was US Senator, 1929-1930. His legacy of philanthropy continues through The Grundy Foundation, Library, and Museum. — Map (db m31168) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Life Along the Canal — Delaware Canal State Park
“We used to trade a lot along the canal, people who had vegetables and things, we’d give them coal and they’d give us cabbages, tomatoes and things like that. Then there were lock tenders whose wives made good bread. We’d give them coal for bread.” Mrs. Chester Mann, Boat Captain’s Daughter.

Canallers You became a captain as young as sixteen by showing “The Company” what you could do. You demonstrated how to “snub” (slow down and brake for lock . . . — Map (db m62626) HM

Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Marker 19T
Marker 19T (replica) indicates distance between here and Market St. in Phila. along the Phila.- Frankford Turnpike to Morrisville, PA. Road through Bristol was finished in 1810 — Map (db m31173) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Pennsylvannia War Dog Memorial — In Honor of the Heroes America Forgot — Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines
In Honor of the Heroes America Forgot Few Americans are aware of the invaluable service given by War Dog teams during the Vietnam War. Dog teams consisting of Scout, Combat Tracker, Sentry and Mine and Tunnel dogs saved thousands of lives. Routinely braving danger these intelligent and adaptable dogs would locate injured GI's, search out Vietcong weapon caches, locate deadly booby traps and would alert and thwart enemy attacks and ambushes. The handlers responsible for the dog . . . — Map (db m24040) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Pvt. Michael Dougherty — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Irish Immigrant-Civil War Veteran Bristol Resident Born in Donegal, Ireland May 10, 1844, Michael Dougherty came to Bristol in 1858. In August of 1862 he enlisted in the Union Army as a Private in Company B, 13th Cavalry, Pennsylvania 117th Volunteer Regiment. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for “Most Distinguished Gallantry in Action” at Jefferson, Virginia on October 12, 1863. Private Dougherty was confined in various Confederate prisons, including the infamous . . . — Map (db m62606) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Replica of the Spanish Garitas
This monument is a replica of the Spanish Garitas, or guardhouses, that lined the forts of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and is dedicated to the Puerto Rican people who have made their homes in Bristol. In March of 1509 a ship carrying Juan Ponce de Leon arrived in San Juan. With him was the West African Juan Garrido. They landed and were met by Agueybana chief Taino. Briefly there was harmony. The mixing of cultures that form Puerto Rico had begun. En Marzo de . . . — Map (db m31315) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — The Basin — 1832 - 1931
[parts of quote illegible] “T___ ___ seemed to be a solid mass of boats.” W.H. ____ Mule ____ Waiting The five acre Bristol Basin provided a place to wait. Located between Lock No. 1 and the Tidal Lock, the Basin stored boats waiting to continue on to Philadelphia and New York City as well as others waiting to be unloaded and then reloaded for a return trip up the Canal. Coal and lumber yards developed near the top end of the Basin so that loads could be . . . — Map (db m31256) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — The Ring — 1831 - 1932
“This day [June 11] the first clearance on the Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania Canal was issued from his office to the Mauch Chunk Canal Boat No. 30, Capt. William C. Zanes, bound to Bristol with 30 tons of coal.” The Whig, Easton, Pennsylvania June 12, 1832 A Century of Cargo When Canal Boat No. 30 left Easton, it began nearly a century of traffic along the 60 mile Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania Canal. From the 1830s to 1931, boats loaded with . . . — Map (db m31224) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — The Tidal Lock — 1832 - 1931
“Coal boats consigned to Philadelphia and adjacent ports were assembled in the river outside the tide lock in rows of up to twenty-one boats, three abreast, to be taken down the river by steamboats. The departure of these tows was scheduled to take advantage of the ebb tide in going down the river and the flood tide upon the return trip.” C.P. Yoder Delaware Canal Journal Timing is Everything The Tide Lock was the first lock from the Delaware River into the . . . — Map (db m31258) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Buckingham — Bogart's Tavern
First licensed in 1763, it was headquarters of the Committee of Observation and Inspection, which organized the revolutionary movement in Bucks County in 1775 & 1776. It was also the site where the county's first military organizations of the Revolution mustered in 1775, & served as General Nathanael Greene's Headquarters in 1776. — Map (db m29695) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Carversville — Carversville Historic District — Historic District
Known as Mill Town 1727 and later Milton 1804. Named Carversville 1833. Historic Craversville Society Established 1971 — Map (db m34582) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — 104th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment — The "Ringgold Regiment"
To the memory of the Officers and Men of the One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania Regiment who fell in the late war “Their good swords rust, and their steeds are dust, but their souls are with the saints we trust.” ———————— 104th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers Infantry The “Ringgold Regiment” Completed in 1868 this monument was one of the first Civil War memorials in the nation. In . . . — Map (db m23480) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Aaron Siskind — (1903-1991)
Preeminent 20th century photographer. Siskind’s influential images of Bucks County architecture from 1939 to 1945 brought about a change from documentary style to a radical abstract style, setting a new standard in American art photography. — Map (db m49809) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County
One of Pennsylvania's three original counties. Formed 1682 by William Penn and site of his home, Pennsbury Manor. Name is derived from abbreviation for Buckinghamshire in England. Doylestown, chosen as county seat in 1812, was incorporated 1838. — Map (db m21461) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County Korean War Memorial — June 25 1950 - July 27, 1953
To Honor Those We Left Behind Freedom Is Not Free [Honor Roll of Names] — Map (db m23479) WM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County Persian Gulf War Memorial
In honor of all Persian Gulf War veterans “I have seen in your eyes a fire of determination to get this job done quickly so that we may all return to the shores of our great nation. My confidence in you is total. Our cause is just! Now you must be the thunder and lightning of Desert Storm.” —General Norman Schwarzkopf Donated by the Lean On Me Support Group. With thanks to all those involved in making this memorial possible. Dedicated May 25, 1992 — Map (db m23478) WM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County Vietnam War Memorial
To remember and honor those Americans who gave of themselves in the Vietnam War Dedicated June 16, 1984 On June 20, 2009, the 25th anniversary of the dedication of this Bucks County Penna Vietnam War Memorial, veterans of the Vietnam War and their families gathered here to honor the memory of the 136 young men from this county who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country during that war. On this solemn occasion, a tribute was also paid to those Bucks County veterans of the . . . — Map (db m23472) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County War Memorial
To honor and to perpetuate the memory of those brave men and women who gave their lives in the defense of our country and the ideals of liberty and justice upon which our nation is founded. From these memories of service and sacrifice may we in some measure be inspired to dedicate our lives to maintain for posterity the hard won freedoms gained for us by these honored dead. Individual listing of veterans contained in the federal government archives [On fountain] In commemoration of . . . — Map (db m23463) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County World War II Memorial
To the honor and the everlasting glory of the citizens of Bucks County, Pennsylvania who served in our armed forces during 1941 - World War II - 1945 Dedicated May 30, 1998 — Map (db m23464) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Camp Lacey / Doylestown Fair
Camp Lacey Bucks County's own 104th Vol. Regiment est. a Civil War military tent city here in 1861. Their training completed, 1,049 men led by Colonel W.W.H. Davis, departed the Doylestown train station to join the Army of the Potomac. Doylestown Fair In 1865, following the Civil War, the town's first fair was organized on this site. One of North America's premier fairs until its demise in 1891. The last remaining fair building was razed in 1997 for student parking. Dedicated Sept. 18, 1999 — Map (db m23517) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Casimir A. Sienkiewicz — (1890 - 1974)
Prominent economist and banker who emigrated from Poland in 1906. He was an advisor to federal, state, and local governments, an active civic and community leader, and was also a well-known impressionist painter. In 1964, he was named first chairman of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), one of the largest urban mass transit agencies in the nation. He resided here, 1938-1974. — Map (db m21485) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Charles Sheeler — (1883-1965)
Modernist painter and photographer, known for a seemingly impersonal, machine-inspired style called precisionism. Subjects included factories, skyscrapers, and Bucks County barns. He rented the Worthington House, 1910-26, and here he did important early work. — Map (db m46516) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Community Service and Veterans Memorial
This monument honors the citizens of Doylestown Township and surrounding Central Bucks municipalities who through public service and volunteerism have devoted themselves to the betterment and welfare of their communities as well as those who have fought in wars from the American Revolution to the present in order to protect our freedoms. [Dedicated May 17, 2008] — Map (db m23458) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Doylestown Agricultural Works
Constructed in 1867, this factory produced farm machinery and ironwork and was, for many years, the area’s largest employer. It sold products around the world and, like other midsize metalworking firms, contributed to America’s industrial growth. In its declining years, it was owned by General Motors’ Sampson Tractor Division (1920-21) and others. Ceased manufacturing operations in 1937. — Map (db m21464) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Doylestown Fire Company No. 1 World War II Memorial
In honor of the men of Doylestown Fire Co. No. 1 who have served their country in World War II In memory of John E. Miller Killed in action, 1945 Monroe R. Bethman • Alexander Price • Robert M. Miller • Horace L. Funk • Richard C. Linsenmaier • Albert J. Kinsky • Frank W. Cope • Jay F. Richar • Harold F. Hellyer, Jr. • Robert S. Sweet • Clayton Y. Lewis • Nickolas T. Petrillo • Robert B. Miller • Carl L. Meyers • Victor K. Fell • Clarence H. Funk • Paul W. Petrillo • . . . — Map (db m23496) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Doylestown High School — 1890 - 1973
This plaque is dedicated to the long procession of devoted administrators, teachers, and students who constituted the School. The School consisted of first through twelfth grade and an opportunity class now called special education. Built 1890           Dedicated April 8, 1890 Destroyed by fire February 23, 1973 Original class bell hangs at CB West Football Field Last graduating class 1952 Famous graduates: James Michener and Margaret Mead Responsible for this plaque - . . . — Map (db m21490) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Henry Chapman Mercer — (1856 - 1930)
Archaeologist, scholar, collector, tile maker. Mercer was born and worked in Doylestown. Between 1908 & 1916, he designed and built three unique concrete structures: Fonthill, his castle-like home; the Moravian Pottery & Tile Works, where he made his distinctive handcrafted products; and the Mercer Museum, site of his vast collection of early Americana. His patented tile mosaics decorate the Pennsylvania State Capitol. — Map (db m23461) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — James A. Michener — (1907 - 1997)
The world famous author grew up in Doylestown and graduated in 1925 from the public school formerly here, having been a top-ranking student. His first novel, "Tales of the South Pacific", received the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for fiction. His many other books include "The Fires of Spring"(1949), "Hawaii"(1959), "The Source" (1965), & "Recessional" (1994). He traveled widely and was a noted art collector and philanthropist. — Map (db m21491) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Margaret Mead — (1901 - 1978)
The world-renowned anthropologist and writer lived in this house and graduated in 1918 from Doylestown High School. Among her most famous works are “Coming of Age in Samoa” (1928) and “Male and Female” (1949). — Map (db m22319) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — W. W. H. Davis
Statesman, historian, author, lawyer, soldier, he wrote 10 books, rose to Civil War general, was acting governor of the Territory of New Mexico, and founded the Bucks Historical Society (1880). He lived here for 51 years. — Map (db m21463) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — Delaware Canal
Here is Lock No. 21 in a series of 23 lift locks, numbered from Bristol to Easton. The aqueduct over Cooks Creek is one of nine which carried water and shipping across branches of the Delaware River. — Map (db m19233) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — Durham Bat Mine
This 18th century abandoned iron ore mine now serves as an important refuge for several species of bats. With community support, Heritage Conservancy has been protecting these bats, the mine and the surrounding conservation area since acquiring it in 2001. The Conservancy is committed to ensuring permanent protection of this critical habitat and historic site. — Map (db m21784) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — Durham Furnace
Built in 1727. Original site at Durham. In blast until 1789, it made cannon and shot in the colonial wars and Revolution. Onetime owners included James Logan and George Taylor. — Map (db m21786) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — Durham Township 9-11 Memorial
In memory of the victims from 9-11-01 attack on America and to honor community volunteers and the heroes of the armed forces. Dedicated October 9, 2001 — Map (db m21783) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — Durham Township Veterans Memorial Flagpole and Terrace
This flagpole and terrace are dedicated to those of Durham Township who have devotedly served their country. — Map (db m21782) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Durham — The Durham Boat
In the 1700's, Robert Durham built his historical boat in Durham, Pa. These boats were used to ship cannon balls, made at the Durham Furnace, to Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War. On Christmas Eve, in 1776, Washington and his men crossed the Delaware in Durham boats to attack the Hessians at Trenton. This replica of a Durham Boat and the pavilion were provided by the Durham Historical Society and the Lou Rupp Jr. Memorial Fund in January 2000. Map (db m21785) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Erwinna — Golden Pheasant Inn
Has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1857 — Map (db m63560) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Erwinna — John J. Stover House
This histric house and farm was given to the people of Bucks County by John J. Stover, May 1955, to become the first county park. Dedicated October 5, 1970 — Map (db m17589) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Fallsington — Falls Monthly Meeting of Friends — 1683 - 1933
The first Falls Meeting House built here in 1690 on 6 acres given by Samuel Burges The second House, 1728 The third, present, house, to left, 1789 The fourth, present, house, to right, 1841 Here William Penn attended and preached when residing at his countryseat Pennsbury, 5 miles southeast 1699-1701 — Map (db m30601) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Fallsington — Falls Township World War II Memorial — Honor Roll
James Castro • Donald Quillan [Killed in action or died in service] [Honor Roll of Township Members who served] — Map (db m30611) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Fallsington — Moon Williamson Log House — Historic Fallsington
Quaker Samuel Moon resided here in the late 1700s and early 1800s. As a well known carpenter, he was particularly skilled in making Windsor chairs. This celebrated and prized antique originally served a functional role in public buildings and taverns. The chair requires no screws or nails, with the distinctive stick legs and spindle backs driven into the plank seating. The Windsor chairs of Samuel Moon continue to live on in the museum and private collections of southeastern Pennsylvania. — Map (db m30610) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Feasterville — Playwicky Indian Town — 1682
was located to the south in the vale by the run and springs. The Chief Tammany of the Unami Group • their totem • the tortoise • of the Lenni Lenape or Delawares sold to William Penn the land between Neshaminy and Pennypack Creeks June 23, 1683 — Map (db m31193) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Feasterville — The Playwicki Farm Labyrinth
This Labyrinth was inspired by an ancient symbol for harmony and unity, the Vesica Pisces. Two symmetrical circles overlap forming an eye-shaped center enclosing the Common Ground shared by the circles. Following the events of 9-11, designer Connie Fenty, Common Grounds Labyrinths, created the pattern you see here to be walked for reflection and meditation. The intent was to offer a means to experience the harmony that occurs when differences are brought into balance through the . . . — Map (db m31196) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Hartsville — Cross Roads
The tavern at Cross Roads, as Hartsville was initially called, was erected in 1742 and was once the scene of much activity, including cattle auctions. Nearby was land that became an encampment site for 13,000 of George Washington's soldiers in 1777. Col. William Hart, who formerly served as proprietor of the Plumsteadville Inn, opened his Sign of the Heart tavern on this site in 1793. — Map (db m23310) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Langhorne — Langhorne Speedway
Opened in 1926, this circular one-mile dirt track was known as the “Big Left Turn." It hosted a NASCAR inaugural race in 1949. Notable drivers Doc Mackenzie, Joie Chitwood, Rex Mays, Lee Petty, Dutch Hoag, A.J. Foyt, and Mario Andretti raced here in stock, midget, sprint, and Indy cars. Langhorne was reshaped as a “D” and paved in 1965. The National Open Championship run here was regarded as the “Indy of the East.” Final race was held in 1971. — Map (db m23451) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Langhorne — Middletown Township World War I Memorial — Langhorne, Langhorne Manor, South Langhorne, Hulmeville
This tablet is erected in honor of these men and women who gave full devotion to their country during the World War 1917 - 1918 [Died in service] Francis Franklin Jesse W. Soby Russell S. Tomlinson — Map (db m23452) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Langhorne — Revolutionary War Burial Site
Buried here are soldiers who died from wounds suffered in the two Battles of Trenton, Dec. 1776-Jan. 1777, and from disease incurred during the harsh winter. After the battles, Washington's troops occupied four hospital buildings in this village, known then as Four Lanes End. Archaeological excavations in 1992 confirmed the fact that a burial ground existed here; written accounts indicated that around 166 soldiers were interred. . . . — Map (db m23446) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Langhorne — The Birthplace of Edward Hicks — 1780 - 1849
Painter of The Peaceable Kingdom — Map (db m23443) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Levittown — Levittown
This fully planned, six-home style residential community was conceived by the builder William J. Levitt. The first family moved in, June 23, 1952. When completed in 1957, Levittown contained 17,311 homes on 5,750 acres, designed for a population of 70,000. It expanded on the pattern set by Levittown, N.Y. (built 1947-51) and was a landmark in the development of suburban housing in the United States. — Map (db m30975) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Lumberville — Delaware Canal / Pennsylvania Canal
Delaware Canal Here is Lock No. 12 in a series of 23 lift locks, numbered from Bristol to Easton. Just above here is one of the nine aquaducts by which the canal and its traffic crossed courses of small streams. Pennsylvania Canal A system of state-built public works to connect Philadephia, Pittsburgh, Lake Erie. The Delaware Division, Bristol - Easton, begun 1827; operated by the State 1831-58; and by private owners to 1931. A State Park since 1940. — Map (db m17586) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Lumberville — Martin Johnson Heade — 1819 - 1904
Noted artist and co-founder of the "luminist" style of landscape painting. Also known for his humingbird studies and floral still lifes. He first studied with Edward and Thomas Hicks in Newtown. Born and raised here; family owned the store across the street. — Map (db m17585) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Morrisville — 252 — Lincoln Highway Delaware River — State Line
« New Jersey Pennsylvania» «New York San Francisco» Leb-Iron Permanent Guide Board The Lincoln Highway Official Guide Post Adopted A.D. 1917 Cast by The Lebanon Machine Co Lebanon NH Patent applied for — Map (db m28396) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Morrisville — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States. — Map (db m28401) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Morrisville — 1 — World War I Memorial
Dedicated and erected by Willet C. Sanford Post No. 433 in memory of J. Lewis Howell • Willet C. Sanford • Edward B. Watson • Leonard F. Coulton • Harvey I. Ely • William H. Duke Jr • William McClain • J. Knowles Hogeland • Catherine H. Christman A.N.C Who gave their lives to the cause of humanity " The Right Is More Precious Then Peace" — Map (db m64969) WM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Cannon
This nine inch Dahlgren smoothbore gun was placed here to mark the colonial approach to town from the ferry landing and was dedicated on July 5, 1907. The gun is on loan to the Borough of New Hope from the US Navy. It was cast in 1855 at the West Point foundry and installed on the USS Minnesota where it saw action at the Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia (Merrimack) on March 9, 1862. Years later it was installed on the USS Richmond which saw action in Admiral . . . — Map (db m20099) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Delaware Canal
Here are locks No. 8-11 of the 23 lift locks on this canal. New Hope also had one of the nine aqueducts and the only toll station between Bristol and Easton. Coal was the largest item of shipping. — Map (db m20104) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Ferry Landing
In 1718 King George I granted to John Wells a license to operate a ferry on this site, which provided an essential link in the establishment of the principal Stage Coach Route between Philadelphia and New York. The Landing became known as “Wells Ferry”. During the Revolution, the Ferry was used to transport General George Washington’s Continental Troops in their Trenton campaign. Operation of the ferry ended in 1827. — Map (db m77999) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Ferry Landing
Coryell's Ferry, a small hamlet on the Delaware River, played an important strategic role during the War for Independence. Throughout the war the ferry crossing was traversed countless times by messengers, supplies, and military detachments. In December 1776 before the Battle of Trenton, the village was a military stronghold protecting the American Army's flank from Brithish forces. Following the capture of Philadelphia in September 1777, Coryell's ferry was one of the few river crossing points . . . — Map (db m78000) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Indian Logan
In the 1820s a ten foot tall Native American weathervane was crafted of heavy sheet iron by Samuel Cooper and painted by Joseph Moon. It was paid for by private subscriptions from townspeople. The Logan Inn erected it on February 22, 1828 in honor of Lenni-Lenape Chief Wingohocking. Acccording to folklore the Chief exchanged names with James Logan, secretary and family steward to William Penn. This pole with the Indian figure atop has been a familiar New Hope landmark for many years. — Map (db m20101) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — John Wells — (1684 - 1748)
Wells is the founder of Wells' Ferry, now known as New Hope. When York Road was established between Philadelphia and New York, travelers needed a dependable way to cross the Delaware River. In 1722 the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly gave Wells the legal and exclusive right to operate a ferry to cross the river. He also received a license to operate a tavern and inn near his ferry landing. Wells operated the ferry and public house for over thirty years. His public house was a regular . . . — Map (db m28131) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Mills
In 1700 Robert Heath acquired 1000 acres of land from an original William Penn grant to Thomas Woolrich. As part of an agreement with Penn, Heath built a grist mill here on the north bank of Aquetong Creek. The mill was powered by the constant flow of water generated by the great springs. Mills continued to operate at this location for over two hundred years. The ruins of a grist mill and a cotton mill that was converted to silk mill still exist on the south bank of the creek. These mills and . . . — Map (db m75749) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — New Hope Mills
In 1790 Benjamin Parry, who owned mills on both the New Jersey and Pennsylvania sides of the Delaware River, lost his mills in Pennsylvania to fire. He rebuilt them and named them "New Hope Mills", commencing operation with new and fresh hope for the future of the village. Because of the mills, the town prospered and became known as New Hope and was incorporated as a borough in 1837. Parry lived across the street in a mansion and his stable was located there. The Parry Barn is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m20102) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — New Hope World War I Memorial
Honor Roll Dedicated to the Citizens of New Hope[Column 1:] Edward A. Austin • Arthur Case • J. Warren Caulton • Joseph C. Conner • J. Walter Corrigan • William F. Corrigan • Raymond M. Cox • Nicholas F. Coombe • Alfred C. Cryer • Charles A. Eveland • Edward P. Everett • Walter J. Everett • John A. Flood • Algernon Gibbs • Leon H. Higgins • Charles Hopkins • Russell J. Horn • Brenton H. Hubbard • . . . — Map (db m20100) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Old Revolutionary Fort
In December 1776 General Roche De Fernoy and General William Alexander (Lord Stirling) had their headquarters here at a "hip-roof" house known as The Old Fort. Before the Battle of Trenton, Coryell's Ferry became a military camp. Stockade entrenchments were erected and batteries were placed here and along the river bank at the ferry landing to protect General George Washington's army from attack by the British. Continental soldiers were encamped in the surrounding valleys, hillsides and fields. — Map (db m47733) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Pennsylvania Canal
A system of State-built public works to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lake Erie. The Delaware Division, Bristol-Easton begun 1827; operated by the State 1831-58, and by private owners to 1931. A State park since 1940. — Map (db m18009) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Road to Monmouth Battlefield — June 20-22, 1778
In 1778, the Borough of New Hope was the colonial river crossing known as Coryell's Ferry. During the Revolution, the Grand Continental Army under the command of General George Washington crossed the Delaware River into NJ enroute to the battle at Monmouth, NJ. — Map (db m20105) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Samuel D. Ingham
Statesman, industrialist, born here Sept. 16, 1779. Secretary Treasury, 1829-1831, under Jackson, and holder of other State and National offices. Active in the early anthracite coal industry; canal advocate. — Map (db m28130) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Solebury National Bank
This structure, now the Solebury National Bank Building, was originally the Delaware House built to accommodate travelers using the new (1814) covered bridge that hastened the demise of the river Ferry Service ... — Map (db m20107) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), New Hope — Vansant House
This is the oldest stone house in New Hope. It was built in 1743 by Ichabod Wilkinson, an iron master from Providence, Rhode Island. The structure is an excelent example of colonial "kitchen-parlor" style. Mary Wilkinson, Ichabod's daughter, married Joshua Vansant and they lived in this house for many years. Vansant was a builder and early developer of the town. In the late 1800s when the roof was being replaced, grapeshot was found embedded in the wood. The grapeshot was allegedly fired by . . . — Map (db m20103) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Bird in Hand — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 34
The Bird in Hand (formerly the "Red Lion Inn" and "Old Frame House") has played a rich and diverse role in the history of Newtown. There is record of a tavern on this site dating back to 1686, and it is considered the oldest frame structure still standing in Pennsylvania. The Inn was the site of the only Revolutionary War action to take place in Newtown. Following the Battle of Trenton in December 1776, George Washington's Continental soldiers used The Bird in Hand as an overflow jail to hold . . . — Map (db m32278) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Boyd-Yardley House — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 17
This building sits on land that was on the edge of the Newtown Common next to the original townstead land of Christopher Taylor. This property was originally purchased in 1796 by James Boyd “Minister of the Gospel” of the Presbyterian Church for five shillings and the promise to pay yearly rent to the Trustees of the Newtown Commons. In addition to owning several properties in the area, Boyd was an important figure in the history of the church and Newtown. Serving as minister of . . . — Map (db m28136) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Brick Hotel — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 29
Prior to 1750, there existed a dwelling on this site, 1 East Washington Avenue, which had been built by Shadrach Walley, Newtown's first settler. Amos Strickland, a farmer and entrepreneur from Philadelphia, bought the property in 1760. In 1763, he built a two-story brick residence, firing the bricks in his kiln on the outskirts of town. During the American Revolution, Strickland hosted George Washington's staff and captive Hessian officers in December 1776. After Strickland's death in . . . — Map (db m32510) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Brooks House — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 16
The Newtown Commons was designed to be land shared by everyone in the Borough and Township. Unfortunately, because no one owned the land, no one took care of it. It appears that some people simply moved onto the land, built a house and lived there. As early as 1715, people in Newtown petitioned the County Court to appoint Trustees to manage the land. In 1796, the Commons was divided into lots and put up for sale. Most of the lots were sold by 1826. The lot containing the property at 221 . . . — Map (db m29871) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Durham Road Milestone
Bearing the inscription "1 M to N" (one mile to Newtown) this milestone is believed to have been placed before 1741. It is one of two such markers still located on the historical 43-mile road from Bristol to Durham Furnace. Newtown, an important stop along this road, was the county seat from 1726 to 1813. — Map (db m31158) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Durham Road Toll House — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 19
The Newtown and Wrightstown Turnpike (Durham) Toll House was in operation from approximately 1870 to 1920, when it was originally located at this site at the intersection of Sycamore Street (532) and Durham Road (413). The toll house served as the headquarters of the Wrightstown and Newtown Turnpike Company. The section of the turnpike that this gatekeeper controlled was from the intersection of the routes now known as 532 and 413 to Wrightstown-Taylorsville Road and 413. The turnpike ceased . . . — Map (db m28132) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Edward Hicks — (1780 - 1849)
Famed primitive artist. His subjects included farmscapes & Biblical scenes; he painted more than fifty versions of The Peaceable Kingdom, based on a prophecy of Isaiah. Also a coach & sign painter; a Quaker preacher. Lived here on Penn Street, 1821-49. — Map (db m32066) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Edward Hicks House — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 3
Edward Hicks (1780-1849), son of Isaac and Catherine Hicks, was a Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist, most famous for over sixty versions of his Peaceable Kingdom paintings. Born in Langhorne, his mother died when he was young, and Hicks was raised by David and Elizabeth Twining on their farm in Newtown Township. After an apprenticeship in Attleborough (now Langhorne) and an eleven-year stint as junior partner of a coach maker in Milford (now Hulmeville), Hicks moved to . . . — Map (db m32316) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Elinor Slack Campbell
Dedicated in memory of Elinor Slack Campbell A Founding Member Of The Newtown Township Historical Architectural Review Board. A Life Member And Historian Of The Presbyterian Church. History was her passion Preservation her primary concern Born: November 8, 1920 Died: November 1, 2004 — Map (db m29835) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — February 9, 1778
Sixteen American soldiers, guarding military uniforms being manufactured on these premises were overpowered by a raiding party of forty enemy cavalrymen and infantrymen. In the heroic but hopeless defense of their post, five guards were killed by gunfire, four more wounded, and the others taken prisoner of war, one of whom was Major Francis Murray. The Bucks County Historical Society October 22, 1938 - June 14, 1976 — Map (db m32275) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Friends Meeting — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 5
Newtown Friends Meeting is an active place of worship for approximately 250 area Quakers. Newtown Meeting was co-founded by Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist Edward Hicks, now highly acclaimed for his renditions of The Peaceable Kingdom. In 1815, Hicks gathered nearby Friends (Quakers) to meet in the empty Court House on Court Street after the county seat moved to Doylestown in 1813. Previously, these local Friends, members of either Falls, Middletown, or Wrightstown . . . — Map (db m32212) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Goodnoe Farm & Dairy Bar — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 18
The original structure on this property was likely built in about 1725 as the early settlers cabin of William Buckman. In 1918, John Goodnoe purchased the 78 acre farm located at 298 North Sycamore Street and started delivering produce grown from his farm. In 1920, John and his wife Mabel established the Goodnoe Farm Dairy, from which they delivered fresh milk, eggs, butter and cream up until the 1960s. On their farm, they also raised their own feed and stock. In 1946, their son Raymond . . . — Map (db m28133) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Half-Moon Inn — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 1
The Half-Moon Inn (popularly known as the Court Inn) is located at 101-103 Court Street. The south portion of the Inn was the original one and one-half story frame cottage of Margaret and Joseph Thornton built in 1733 and later used as a tavern. The Inn was a popular gathering place during court sessions when Newtown was the County Seat; hence, the name "Court Inn." In the 1890s, the local telephone company purchased the building and subdivided it into two separate units. The Newtown . . . — Map (db m32355) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Justices House
This colonial inn, built 1768 by Anthony Siddons, became headquarters of the American General William Alexander, "Lord Stirling," after the battle of Trenton December 26, 1776 — Map (db m32386) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Loyalist Raid of 1778
On Feb. 19, 1778, while the British occupied Philadelphia, some 40 armed Loyalists raided the tavern here. The fighting left 5 American soldiers dead, 4 wounded, 11 captured. Tailors here were making uniforms for use at Valley Forge, and 2,000 yards of cloth were lost. — Map (db m32262) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown - County Seat — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 32
The buildings at 35 South State Street are situated on the tract of land on which the three main public buildings in Newtown were erected in 1726 when Newtown became the County Seat (Jail Keeper's House & Records Office, Jail, Court House). The original jail was found to be too small for the growing criminality of the county, naturally arising from the wild conditions of a backwoods community of the time. In 1745, another larger jail was erected on this site. Some of the original . . . — Map (db m32428) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown and Vicinity World War I Honor Roll
In honor of the young men of Newtown and vicinity who answered their country's call that international justice might prevail and the peace and liberty of free peoples be preserved 1917 World War 1918 *Morell Smith, Killed in Action Raymond W. Atkinson • Harry E. Jones Harry M. Bennett • Edward J. Kirkpatrick Ashbel W. Brown • William Kirkpatrick Elwood Brown • Thomas Lamb C. Harry Bunting • C. Clifford Leland George M. Bunting • Harry Leslie Edward A. Burns, Jr. • John A. . . . — Map (db m32326) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown Borough Hall — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 24
On April 16, 1838, the village of Newtown received its own municipal identity, distinct from that of Newtown Township, when it was formally chartered as a borough by the Pennsylvania Legislature. In 1854, the Borough approved the plans to build this building, located at 23 North State Street. Construction started in 1857 and was finished by 1858. The building was used as both council chambers and lock-up, with the lock-up seeing steady service until the 1940s. Interestingly, the mason who . . . — Map (db m32522) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown Common & Creek — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 23
In 1684, William Penn planned his new town, which was later called Newtown. About 30 acres, on both sides of Newtown Creek, were reserved for common use. The town was designed to resemble an open fan of lots surrounding a narrow, rectangular town common that ran along the Newtown Creek. By mutual agreement, early landowners used the Common as a pasture, with the creek as their water supply. The Common was intended to serve as a village focal point, and was designed to be a gathering place . . . — Map (db m32609) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown Library Company — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 2
The third home of the Newtown Library Company is located at 114 East Centre Avenue at the corner of Centre Avenue and Congress Street. The Newtown Library Company was founded in 1760 and it is the third oldest private library in Pennsylvania. Originally, the collection of books was kept at the homes of the various librarians from 1760 until after the County Seat was removed to Doylestown in 1813. The collections were housed in the old Court House until 1824, when the first library building . . . — Map (db m32354) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Newtown War Memorial
Dedicated to those Americans of All Wars, who loved freedom more than fame, and liberty more than life. [Dedicated] Memorial Day 1964 — Map (db m32387) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Old Presbyterian Church — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 13
The Old Presbyterian Church was erected on North Sycamore Street in 1769 to replace the original 1734 log structure that stood a half mile to the west on Swamp Road near the high school and the bypass. In 1776, George Washington used this church and the session house to hold several hundred Hessian prisoners captured during the Battle of Trenton before they were marched to Philadelphia and exchanged for American soldiers. When the building was renovated in 1842, workers discovered a poem . . . — Map (db m29836) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 30
The Croasdale building, located at 2-4 South State Street, was built in 1853. This building was the center of Newtown's commercial activities, housing dry goods stores, the First National Bank and several lodges. During the Civil War, the front of the third floor was used exclusively for the making of infantry topcoats by women of the community. In the bottom photo at left, note the sign at left advertising Hutchinson's railway express business, where trolley and taxi tickets were sold. The . . . — Map (db m32487) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Randall Double House — 1893
Erected by James Randall (Randall Carriage Works) for his employees Builder: Garrett Girton Sycamore Street Extension Newtown Historical District — Map (db m29832) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Stocking Works — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 6
Originally, the Newtown Hosiery Mill (a.k.a. The Stocking Works) operated out of this building at 301 South State Street. In 1884, the Excelsior Bobbin and Spool Works was founded by John B. Mawson in Yardley. In 1889, it was moved to Newtown after a fire destroyed the Yardley plant. In 1904, the Bobbin and Spool [W]orks chartered the name Excelsior Bobbin and Spool Company, which expanded with new buildings and updated equipment. After the brief tenure of the stocking manufacturer, the . . . — Map (db m32246) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Temperance House — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 31
Although some historians believe there may have been a tavern at this location fifty years earlier, Andrew and Nancy McMinn built the first part of the Temperance House, located at 5 South State Street, circa 1772. Part of the building was used as a tavern and another section as a schoolhouse, where Andrew McMinn taught school. McMinn became a well-known figure in Newtown, and later served as a sergeant in Capt. Henry Van Horn's militia company during the Revolutionary War. General Francis . . . — Map (db m32432) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — The First National Bank — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 33
The First National Bank and Trust Company of Newtown was first organized in 1864 and operated out of a room in the Paxson-Croasdale Building, located at 2-4 South State Street. By the spring of 1868, the bank bought property from the county and moved into the County Clerk's Office (building shown at right in the top photo). In 1884, after a steady growth, the bank constructed the brownstone building located at 40 South State Street (building shown at left in the top photo). In . . . — Map (db m32612) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — The First Weather Satellite
The world's 1st experimental and operational weather satellite, TIROS 1, was manufactured here by Lavelle Aircraft Corp. in 1960. Pioneering satellite TV techniques, TIROS recorded the 1st TV image from space. Its success led to improved satellites that provided key data to meteorology. — Map (db m31157) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — White Hall — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 4
The White Hall Hotel is located at 127 South State Street. Squire Isaac Hicks, father of Edward Hicks, lived in a frame house on this lot until 1836. During the Revolutionary War, the house was used as a store and was for a time occupied by the Quartermaster Department. During this period, the famous Bucks County outlaws, the Doan Brothers, raided the place, shot the watchman, and carried off some of the supplies. In 1852, the White Hall, then called Hallowell's Hotel, received its first . . . — Map (db m32281) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Whitehall — 1838
Isaac Hicks, father of the renowned artist, Edward Hicks, lived on the property from 1796 until his death in 1836. A girls boarding school and general store are believed to have occupied part of the building prior to its use as a hotel from 1843 to 1979 when it was nearly destroyed by fire. The building was almost lost following four years of deterioration from weather. In 1983 it was put back in service after extensive rehabilitation. Whitehall is on the National Register of Historic Buildings [sic - Places]. — Map (db m32279) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — William Penn's New Town — Newtown Heritage Walk No. 14
On March 4, 1681, Charles II granted William Penn a vast tract of land in the New World as payment for the debt the King owed Penn's father. The tract awarded to Penn included all of the land west of New Jersey, north of Maryland and south of New York. On July 15, 1682, Penn purchased the same land from the Native Americans. William Penn's Surveyor General, Thomas Holme, arrived in 1682, surveyed the land and produced one of the first maps of Pennsylvania and Newtown in 1687. On the . . . — Map (db m29833) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Pipersville — Stover-Meyers Mill — Built 1800
Designated A National Historic Place By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m63112) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Quakertown — The Fries Rebellion of 1799
Site of early challenge to federal government's authority. This armed resistance by Pennsylvania-German farmers to the 1798 federal house tax was suppressed by soldiers. Leader John Fries was arrested for treason, condemned to death, and pardoned by President John Adams. — Map (db m26846) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Raubsville — Maurice K. Goddard — 1912-1995
Serving under five governors from 1955-1979 as Secretary of the Department of Forests and Waters and the Department of Environmental Resources, "Doc" Goddard expanded the state park system, led efforts to professionalize state government, and was the first leader of the state's integrated environmental agency. He was instrumental in creation of the Delaware River Basin Commission, a former state-federal compact agency to conserve and manage water resources on a watershed basis. — Map (db m63105) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Revere — Hiram Williams Pursell — 1837 - 1918
Born Nockamixon Township, served 6th and 104th Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861. Regiment flag bearer, Fair Oaks, Va., May 31, 1862, wounded twice, faced advancing enemy while Union Army in retreat, saved another regiment color from capture after bearer killed. Sgt. Pursell was honorably discharged September 30, 1864. Awarded Medal of Honor May 12, 1894. Immortalized William Trego's Rescue Of The Colors. — Map (db m18074) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Riegelsville — Mid-Atlantic Highlands
The Mid_Atlantic Highlands of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut forms a 3.5 million acre forested greenbelt adjacent to one of the nation's most densely populated regions, which includes Philadelphia, New York City and Hartford.

The region stretches from northwestern Connecticut across the Hudson Valley of New York, through northern New Jersey and southeastern Pennsylvania, and ends near the Maryland border. Its forested ridges, fertile farms, pure streams and reservoirs . . . — Map (db m44763) HM

Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Riegelsville — Riegelsville
The Borough of Riegelsville was formed in 1916, thanks to a petition by local citizens who sought the right of self-government for their thriving river and canal community.

During the late 18th century, a village slowly evolved around what was known an Shanks Ferry, which took travelers back and forth across the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. After Benjamin Riegel purchased the ferry business in 1806, the village came to be known as Riegels Ferry and later as . . . — Map (db m44764) HM

Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Riegelsville — Riegelsville Civil War Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory of the following Riegelsville Volunteers buried at Riegelsville Cemetery. All enlisted August 8, 1862 Company C, 128th Reg. PA Volunteers All fought at the Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862: Pvt. John B. Kerbaugh - killed Pvt. Jonas Nixon - died Oct. 4, 1862 from wounds Pvt. Frederick Crouse - wounded, returned & became town's 1st Postmaster Memorial & Canon restorations Eagle Scout Project - James F. Porter Troop 127 — Map (db m63768) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Riegelsville — Riegelsville Roebling Bridge — Centennial Celebration — September 18th, 2004
Built by John A. Roebling's Sons Co. Opened for traffic April 18th, 1904 Owned and Operated by the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission — Map (db m19234) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Riegelsville — The Riegelsville Academy and Public Library — Founded 1884
This academy furnished a full preparative college course in the days of elementary public instruction in this vicinity. The land, buildings, and annuities for the maintenance are one of the gifts of John Leidy Riegel, 1819-1893 to the St. John Reformed Church, Riegelsville, Penna., for the use and benefit of the surrounding community. "So when a good man dies, for years beyond our ken the light he leaves behind him lies upon the paths of men." — Map (db m63769) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Smithtown — Treasure Island Reservation — Delaware Canal Lock 17
Consisting of Treasure Island and Marshall Island. Home to one of the nation's oldest Boy Scout camps, established by the Philadelphia Council, B.S.A. in 1913. Birthplace of the Order of the Arrow, a national campers' honor society founded upon Native American traditions. Its Unami Lodge No. 1 was created here in 1915 by the camp's first director; E. Urner Goodman and his assistant, Carroll A. Edson. — Map (db m35078) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Springfield Township — Gallows Hill
Here, Edward Marshall and his associates of the famous Indian Walk of a day and a half, September 19-20, 1737, left the Old Durham Road on the first day and followed the well-beaten Indian path which led Nothwesterly through present Hellertown, Bethlehem, Northampton and the Lehigh Gap. — Map (db m21787) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Tullytown — Pennsbury Manor
William Penn's country home in Pennsylvania, built 1683-1700. Here he often resided while in America. Re-created by the State as a historic shrine. Follow this road for 3.5 miles. — Map (db m31169) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Tullytown — Tullytown Veterans Memorial
This memorial is in honor of those who answered the call of their country in her needful hour. Original Memorial 1966 Rededicated November 11, 2008 — Map (db m31172) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Uhlertown — Delaware Canal
Uhlertown, known as Mexico at an earlier date, was named for Michael Uhler, boatbuilder and operator of a line of canal boats. Lock No. 18 and well kept buildings are interesting reminders of canal days. — Map (db m18084) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Warminster — John Fitch's Steamboat
Fitch tested near here a model steamboat in 1785. Before his death in 1798, he built 4 mechanically successful steamboats. The first in the U.S., they proved financial failures, leaving final success of the idea to Robert Fulton. Adjacent, stone marker: John Fitch here conceived the idea of the first steamboat. He ran a boat with side wheels by steam on a pond below Davisville, 1785. Bucks County Historical Society 1902 — Map (db m21470) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Warminster — Log College — Lux in Tenebris
Main Marker: Built by Rev. William Tennent c. 1735, it was the first academy in America for the training of Presbyterian ministers and the first college in Pa. A number of notable revivalist preachers and educators graduated from this rustic school before it closed upon Tennent’s death in 1746. Soon after, several Log College graduates helped establish Princeton University in New Jersey. Many other colleges trace their roots to this early institution. Stone Marker: . . . — Map (db m21486) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Warminster — The Battle of the Crooked Billet
The Battle of the Crooked Billet was fought around this spot May 1, 1778.

General John Lacey's Command of 400 Officers and men stationed at The Crooked Billet (now Hatboro) were attacked by a detachment of 800 men of British Cavalry and Infantry under Lieut, Col. Abercrombe and Major Simcoe's Rangers.

About 15 American soldiers were killed near this spot, fifteen wounded, and a number taken prisoners.

Six or seven of the Patriotic soldiers were buried in the Noble . . . — Map (db m41508) HM

Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — A Nation's Signature Event
After suffering defeats to the British Army in New york and New Jersey, General George Washington retreated to the Pennsylvania banks of the Delaware River in early December, 1776. On Christmas night, Washington boldly moved approximately 2400 men under his command across the Delaware. Advancing to Trenton in sleet and snow, Washington attacked Hessian troops fighting for Britain, captured the city and reversed the fortunes of the Continental Army. His victory increased enlistments, raised . . . — Map (db m76687) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — John Pidcock
On this spot on a tract of land of 505 acres called by the Indians Win-Na-Haw-Caw-Chunk John Pidcock the first white settler built mills and established a trading post with the Indians in 1684 — Map (db m13771) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Red Cedar
This tree was 27 yrs old when George Washington was here. — Map (db m13768) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — The Growth of a Village
In 1776, when General George Washington undertook his momentous crossing of the Delaware, the brown stone McConkey Ferry Inn was the only building on this site.

Shortly thereafter, the Taylor Family purchased the Inn and surrounding land making way for the development of the 19th century village of Taylorsville. After expanding the McConkey Ferry Inn, brothers Mahlon and Bernard built homes for themselves: the federal style Mahlon K. Taylor house and the present day Washington Crossing Inn. . . . — Map (db m76662) HM

Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Thompson-Neely House
Headquarters of Brigadier-General Lord Stirling previous to the Battle of Trenton. Quartered with him were Captain William Washington, Lieutenant James Monroe (later President of the United States) and Captain James Moore of the New York Artillery, who died here Christmas day, 1776. --------------------------- Marked by Bucks County Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1931 Right Marker: The central portion of this house was built by John Pidcock in 1702 and has been preserved as a . . . — Map (db m13770) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Unknown Soldiers of the Continental Army
In memory of the many unknown soldiers of the Continental Army who died from sickness and exposure while encamped in these fields before the Battle of Trenton and were buried at this spot Christmas Day 1776. — Map (db m12024) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington Crossed the Delaware
Near this spot Washington crossed the Delaware on Christmas night 1776 the eve of the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m13765) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington Crossing
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1961 — Map (db m7266) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington Crossing
Here Washington and his men braved ice and sleet Christmas night, 1776, to cross the Delaware and to surprise and defeat the Hessians at Trenton. The victory gave new life to the patriot cause. — Map (db m13395) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington Crossing the Delaware
A Bicentennial gift to the people of the United States from Citizens of the Bedford Indiana area and the Indiana Limestone Industry July 5, 1976. — Map (db m7277) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington’s Crossing and March to Trenton — December 25 / 26, 1776
Crossing Begins | Dec., 25 – 4:00 PM: Washington crossed with commanders John Sullivan, Nathanael Greene, John Glover, and Henry Knox along with 2,400 troops, 18 cannons, baggage, and approximately 50 – 75 horses. Dec., 26 – 4:00 AM: Washington and his men have crossed the river (several hours later than expected) and proceeded to march towards Trenton. Dec., 26 – 6:00 AM: Washington divided his troops for a two-pronged attack. Dec., 26 – 8:00 . . . — Map (db m61744) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington's Crossing of Delaware
To commemorate the crossing of the Delaware River at this point by General George Washington and the Continental Troops, Christmas Night, 1776, and the splendid victory at Trenton. Committee John D. James, President Russell W. Knight, Secretary Jesse C. Everitt, Treasurer Oscar O. Bean Russell B. Carty Maurice Girton Charles S. Delany N.V. Vanartsdalen George Mather — Map (db m5401) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — William Penn’s First Walking Purchase
This site, Towissinck or Jericho Creek, was the northern boundary of Penn’s 1st purchase of Native American land on July 15, 1682. The land purchase was measured by the distance a man could walk in a day and a half, starting from the mouth of the Neshaminy Creek. It is believed Penn walked the distance himself, covering what is now Bristol, Falls, Middletown, Newtown, Lower and part of Upper Makefield Twps. — Map (db m13398) HM
137 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 799 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.