HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Burlington County Markers
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bass River — Civilian Conservation Corps
Site of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 225    Camp S-55 1933 – 1942 — Map (db m76180) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Beverly — Avenue of Flags
Honoring deceased veterans Beverly National Cemetery Beverly, New Jersey Sponsored by Avenue of Flags Committee Nov. 9, 1983 — Map (db m34045) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Beverly — Beverly Veterans
In honor of all Beverly Veterans who served their country ----------------- Dedicated July 4, 1974 — Map (db m36375) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Beverly — Dunk’s Ferry Bicentennial Memorial1776 * 1976
Near this site, one of our country’s first ferries was operated from circa 1695 to late 19th century. During Revolutionary times, it was used by Washington and his troops. This area was called “Dunks Ferry” before Beverly, N.J. was founded. Dedicated Sept. 20, 1975 City of Beverly Bicentennial Committee — Map (db m35872) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Beverly — Memorial FieldPassing The Torch of Freedom
Dedicated Memorial Day 1994 Dedicated to the Memory of Veterans of All Our Wars Given in Grateful Remembrance by Evening Star Council #38 Junior Order of United American Mechanics — Map (db m37069) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Beverly — World WarMemorial Building
World War Memorial Building Erected by the citizens of Beverly and Edgewater Park as a tribute to those patriots of this vicinity who served their country in the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m36179) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — 19th Century Railroading in Bordentown
Colonel John Stevens of Hoboken first proposed the construction of steam locomotive railroads in 1810, and his dream of building an operational railroad was realized by his sons, Robert L. and Edwin A., with the incorporation of the Camden and Amboy (C&A) Railroad in 1830. When completed in 1838, thee C&A connected the municipalities of Camden, Bordentown, Trenton and South Amboy, and provided the impetus to the commercial growth of many towns along the alignment. The Bordentown junction was . . . — Map (db m7314) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Borden's TowneSettled 1682
Following the Continental Army's retreat across the Delaware River in December 1776, 2,000 Hessian and Scots troops commanded by Colonel Kurt vonDonop occupied this towne. A small band of Americans under Colonel Samuel Griffin lured these troops toward Mt. Holly prior to George Washington's attack on Trenton, thus contributing to his victory on December 26. The towne was pillaged and sections burned by the British on May 8, and June 23, 1778. — Map (db m33635) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Bordentown Female College
Dedicated to the Memory of The Bordentown Female College 1850 — 1900 Presented by the B.F.C. Association — Map (db m5338) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Bordentown Veteran's Memorial
In honor of all men & women who served our country in the Armed Forces — Map (db m36346) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — British Raid on Crosswicks Creek
Waters of Crosswicks Creek and the Delaware River join below. 22 vessels at Bordentown and 4 at White Hill were among the 44 that were destroyed in a British raid on May 8, 1778. All were trapped in the Upper Delaware when the British took Philadelphia in September 1777. Sites in Crosswicks Creek containing the remains of two vessels are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Commemorated May 20, 1990 by Rancocas Valley Chapter National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century — Map (db m5336) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Clara BartonWomen's Heritage Trail
Clara Barton, best known as a Civil War nurse and founder of the American Red Cross, was significant in New Jersey history for beginning the first "free" public school in the state. Barton took a teaching position in Hightstown in 1851, at the urging of her friend and Hightstown resident, Mary Norton. While visiting nearby Bordentown, Barton was disturbed by the number of children she found in the streets because their families could not afford private school. Barton met with the local school . . . — Map (db m36470) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Clara Barton School
One of the earliest free schools of New Jersey established 1852 by Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross. — Map (db m33638) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Dedicated to School No. 2
Dedicated to School No. 2 and to the memory of the educators who brought education to the black youth of Bordentown, NJ 1842 - 1948 Dedicated February 2, 2002 — Map (db m33639) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — First movement by steam on a railroad in New Jersey
First movement by steam on a railroad in the state of New Jersey, November 12, 1831, by the original locomotive "John Bull" now deposited in the United States National Museum at Washington. The first piece of railroad track in New Jersey was laid by the Camden and Amboy Railroad Company between this point and the stone, thirty five hundred feet eastward in 1831. — Map (db m5195) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Francis Hopkinson House
Francis Hopkinson House has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U. S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1971 — Map (db m33453) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — George S. Bowers
Erected 1914 by E. B. Tantum To commemorate the devoted service to his country of George S. Bowers Company F 8th Regiment N. J. Volunteer Infantry And all other loyal soldiers and sailors who suffered untold misery starvation and death, while confined as prisoners of war in Andersonville and other Confederate military prison pens of the south during the war of the rebellion 1861 to 1865 What they suffered there rather than desert our flag should never be . . . — Map (db m36422) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Richard Watson Gilder Housecirca 1788
About The Gilder Family The Gilder family, which also includes the Nutts and Bunting families, rose to prominence in the publishing world of New York City with Richard Watson Gilder as the Editor of Century Magazine, his sister Jeanette Gilder as a noted author, and his brother William H. Gilder as a renowned newspaper correspondent and arctic adventurer. The original Gilder House which still stands here at the entrance to the park on Crosswicks Street, was the country home of the Gilder . . . — Map (db m36975) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Thomas Paine
Thomas Paine, Pamphleteer for American Independence, bought this house in 1783, and lived in it periodically until his death in 1809. — Map (db m33451) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Thomas Paine Monument
Thomas Paine (1739 - 1809) Father of the American Revolution (Northeast face of Monument Base): Paine's words and deeds put the concepts of independence, equality, democracy, abolution of slavery, representative government and a constitution with a bill of rights on the American agenda. (Southwest face of Monument Base): "I had rather see my horse button in his own stable, or eating the grass of Bordentown, than see all the pomp and show of Europe." - Letter from . . . — Map (db m5176) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Tower Clock
Man'f. Seth Thomas Clock Co. 1888 Dedicated to William F. Allen 1846 - 1915 Born in Bordentown and the designer of Standard Time 1883 William Feaster - Curator — Map (db m17464) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Bordentown — Wright House
Patience Lovell Wright, America's first sculptress lived here before moving to Great Britain 1772. Son Joseph noted painter. — Map (db m33452) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Browns Mills — A Million Dollar ResourcePinelands National Reserve
Wild cranberry plants prefer low fields, meadows, bogs, and stream banks. Native Americans used the berries for food, medicinal purposes and dyes. In fact, they gave cranberries to the first European settlers as a sign of peace. Two centuries later, cranberry growers began cultivating the plants in the bogs of New Jersey’s Pinelands. By improving their hardiness and potential for commercial production, cranberry growers found a product that is enjoyed by nearly everybody. Nearly all of New . . . — Map (db m64174) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Browns Mills — Conservation and Environmental Studies Center, Inc.
Conservation and Environmental Studies Center, Inc. has been designated a National Environmental Education Landmark This site possesses distinctive values in revealing significant natural and cultural processes through effective environmental education programs — Map (db m34211) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Browns Mills — Dedicated To Those Who Served
Dedicated to those who served in all the Armed Forces. In memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice [Names listed on second marker:] Charles Fullerton • Edwin Hoover • Aaron R. Lucas • Albert L. Collins • Henry Hoffman • Stanley Hendrick • Stanley Luker • Richard Gustafson • Allen K. Stinger • Ernest Fort • Valentine Fose • Grover Barker • Donald Reeves — Map (db m34206) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Browns Mills — Elizabeth Coleman WhiteWomen's Heritage Trail
Elizabeth Coleman White was born in 1871, the eldest of four daughters, and is best known as a pioneer in the blueberry industry. She never married and spent most of her life in the New Jersey Pinelands at Whitesbog Village - her family's cranberry farm. She began searching for a companion crop to the cranberry. In 1911 she read "Experiments in Blueberry Culture" by Dr. Frederick V. Coville, a botanist with the USDA, and they began a long partnership. Five years later, in 1916, White produced . . . — Map (db m34274) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Browns Mills — Exploring the PinelandsPinelands National Reserve
To experience the Pinelands National Reserve fully, you should spend a few days. It is a vast area that includes historic sites, natural areas, and recreational opportunities. Information is available at New Jersey state parks and forests and on the Internet at www.nj.gov/pinelands. The Pinelands is comprised of both public and private lands. Almost 40 percent of the Pinelands is publicly-owned and is managed by several different land management agencies that can help you learn more about . . . — Map (db m64178) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Birthplaces
Birth Place Captain James Lawrence [ Second Marker: ] Birth Place James Fenimore Cooper — Map (db m35903) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Eliza Greene DoaneWomen's Heritage Trail
St. Mary's Hall was established in 1837 by the second Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey--a renowned man of letters, a rector, teacher, poet, author, host, and patriot. The fundamental purpose of the school was for the training of Christian women, while focusing on academics, discipline, fellowship, high ideals, and traditions. The moral center of this institution was "The Chapel of the Holy Innocents," designed by the architect John Notman and built in 1846. Eliza Greene Doane was the wife of . . . — Map (db m34047) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Founding of St. Mary’s Parish
To commemorate the founding of St. Mary’s Parish Mother Parish of New Jersey The first founded by the Society for the propagation of the Gospel All Saints’ Day 1702 and The laying of the cornerstone of St. Mary’s Church Feast of the Annunciation 1703 First Rector Rev. John Talbot       Installed 1705 Royal Charter granted January 5, 1709 — Map (db m35904) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Free Library
The Burlington Library Association, chartered by King George II in 1757, established an early public library here. — Map (db m33863) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Grant House
Home of General Ulysses S. Grant's family during the last days of the Civil War. Visited by Grant on the day of Lincoln's death. — Map (db m34048) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Hope Steam Fire Engine Company No. 1
Historical Note This fire company originated in 1849, when it was known as Hope Hose Company. It was not until 1872 when by an act of Legislature, the original name was changed to its present Hope Steam Fire Engine Company No. 1 This building erected 1967 — Map (db m35876) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Important Men of 206 High Street, Burlington
Three famous men once used this building that stood at this site: Samuel Jenings Office of First Provincial Governor of West Jersey 1681 to 1684 Benjamin Franklin Printed the first Colonial paper currency of New Jersey 1728 Isaac Collins New Jersey Public Printer of currency, almanacs and the first weekly newspaper in the state 1770 to 1778 Dedicated January 21, 2006 in commemoration of Benjamin Franklin’s 300th Birthday — Map (db m35874) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — New St. Mary’s
Church, designed by noted architect Richard Upjohn, is one of the earliest cruciform structures in America. Completed, 1854. — Map (db m35891) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Office of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor GeneralWestern Division of New Jersey
Founded at London in 1675 by William Penn and Quaker trustees, the proprietors of West Jersey sold shares in land that resulted in rapid development of Burlington starting in 1677. The council was formed in 1688 to manage the growing demand for land in West Jersey, and has met annually in May since that time. This 1911 brick building replaced a nearby old wooden building. It is within the Burlington Historic District and is listed as a contributing building on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m33896) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Old St. Mary’s
Built in 1703, this was the first Episcopal Church in New Jersey. Services were transferred to new St. Mary’s in 1854. — Map (db m35890) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — The Cottage 1872
25-yr. restoration 1983-2008 Home of Civil War "Boy General", Edward Burd Grubb The Cottage 1872 General Edward Burd Grubb November 13, 1841 - July 7, 1913 • Born, Burlington, NJ; Graduated Burlington College 1860 • Enlisted May 1861. 3rd NJ Volunteer Infantry, age 19 • Commissioned First Lieutenant, 1862 • Promoted, Major, Nov. 1862, 23rd NJ Volunteer Infantry • Promoted, Colonel, regimental commander, March 1863, 10th NJ Volunteer Infantry; wounded in action, June 1863 . . . — Map (db m35900) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — The Founding of Burlington
West New Jersey Proprietors To commemorate The Founding of Burlington in 1677 and the Mooring of the ship 'Shield' near this spot in 1678 This tablet is erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey on the two hundred and fifieth anniversary of the founding, 1927 — Map (db m33870) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — The Isaac Collins House
C. 1774 ~ National Register of Historic Places Renovated 2007   ~   Architect ~ Eric Ciceron, Palm Springs, Ca. -------------------- Isaac Collins Royal Printer to King George III. Publisher – The New Jersey Gazette. First Newspaper of New Jersey. Printer of New Jersey’s first paper currency. Printer of New Jersey’s first Almanac. Printer of first American Family Bible. Established first printing press in Trenton, NJ. Founded Trenton Academy in Trenton, NJ. — Map (db m35902) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Veterans Drive
In memory of all veterans who served our country City of Burlington — Map (db m36153) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Chatsworth — Chatsworth Honor RollIn Memory of Those — Who Served in the Armed Forces
Chatsworth Honor Roll In memory of those who served in the Armed Forces World War I Anderson, Andrew • Anderson, Willis • Carr, Ballington B. • Griffee, Joseph • Leduc, Albert • Messler, Ernest • Messler, Jesse • Prickett, Albert N. • Recchia, Daniel • Winsky, John World War II Ammon, Albert • Anderson, Herbert • Anderson, James • Anderson, Wilbert • Applegate, Chas F. • Applegate, Evert • Applegate, Frank M. • *Bates, Charles • Bleakney, Edgar F. • Bowker, Fred • . . . — Map (db m36823) WM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Columbus — On a tree south of this spot
British Corporal John Fisher, 28th. Regiment who had deserted the British to join the Rebels was caught, tried and convicted. He was hung at 10 AM June 22, 1778 — Map (db m34200) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Columbus — The Keeler Oak
The Keeler Oak is a White Oak (Genus: Quercus, Species: alba) 88' tall with a drip line of 120'. This 300 year old tree was witness to the Colonial troops and Hessian soldiers as they marched through Black Horse down to Petticoat Bridge where a famous skirmish took place during the Revolutionary War. The tree is affectionately named for the previous owners of the farm "where it now stands and serves as" the Mansfield Township logo. — Map (db m33353) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Columbus — The Keeler Oak Tree
The Keeler Oak Tree is a white oak (Genus Quercus Species Alba. 88' tall and a drip line of 120'. This 300 year old tree was witness to the Colonial troops and Hessian soldiers as they marched through Black horse to Petticoat bridge where a famous skirmish took place during the Revolutionary war. The tree is affectionately named after the previous owners of the farm "where it now stands as" the Mansfield township logo — Map (db m76401) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Crosswicks — Crosswicks Quaker MeetingReligious Society of Friends
Quakers settled Crosswicks in 1677 and purchased this land toward the end of that century. Friends have worshiped on this site continuously since that time. The smaller building was erected in the mid 1780's for use as a Quaker school and is now used as a First Day (Sunday) school and gathering place. During the Revolutionary War, the meetinghouse was occupied by both Colonial and British forces, though meetings for worship were still held. Use as a wartime barracks was a challenge to the . . . — Map (db m36084) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Crosswicks — Friends Meeting
Built, 1773, replacing 1706 house. North wall holds cannon ball which struck in 1778 skirmish between British and Americans — Map (db m36082) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Fieldsboro — Borough of FieldsboroVeterans Memorial
Ashworth, Harry Bailey, Charles Bailey, Robert Bell, Donald Bell, Frank, Jr Bell, Gerald Bell, Gordon Bentz, George Bentz, Russell Billingham, Neil Bozarth, Clarence Bozarth, Harry Bozarth, Jack Bozarth, William Brettel, Jack Brettel, William Bulleck, Alvin Bulleck, Charles Bulleck, James Bulleck, Kenneth Bulleck, Stephen Bundy, Andrew Burkley, Frederick Carr, Thomas Cheeseman, Austin Cheeseman, Bruce Cheeseman, Charles Church, Thomas *Cloutier, Charles, Sr Cloutier, Charles, Jr Cochran, Jack . . . — Map (db m37011) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Florence — Florence M. E. Church
Holiness Unto The Lord Florence M. E. Church Founded A. D. 1839 First church built 1854 This church erected 1881 — Map (db m36423) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Florence — Florence Township War Memorial
[Upper Plaque - Side 1:] We the people of Florence Township Dedicate this tablet as visible evidence of our lasting and eternal gratitude for these men who made the supreme sacrifice while serving in the Armed Forces of our nation during the Great World Wars. 1917 World War I 1919 Francis W. Robbins • George Beatty, Jr. • Wesley J. Harding • William Hogan • Howard G. Regars • Paul Willetts 1941 World War II 1946 Nello L. D'Annunzio • George G. Abrams • . . . — Map (db m37101) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Florence — Hunt Brothers Circus
Est. 1892 in Kingston, NY by Charles T. Hunt, Sr. Former Home of Hunt Brothers Circus Winter Quarters 1942 - 1978 — Map (db m33099) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Florence — Richard J. Hughes1909 - 1992
This plaque commemorates the birth of Richard J. Hughes in this house on August 10, 1909. He became Governor of New Jersey from 1962 to 1970. He served as Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court from 1973 to 1979. — Map (db m35923) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Florence — Roll of Honor1941 — 1945
In honor of the members of Florence Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1 who served their country in World War II J. Allen • J Baird • W. Boyle • N. Brown • R. Cavanaugh • R. Coates • J. Crammer • C. Dennis • J. Downey • F. Duffy • C. Gesemyer • T. Gifford • A. Green • D. Green • A. Hamilton • G. Hamilton • M. Horner • G. Johnson • R. Lane • *J. Lee • *F. Lubrano • A. Lynch • A. Matthews • E. Muldoon • D. Mulhern • N. Mulhern • L. Murphy • J. Myatt • W. Parker • J. Polom • L. Ranier • E. Reed • T. . . . — Map (db m35958) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Fort Dix — 44th Infantry Division
World War II Mobilized at Fort Dix 16 September 1940 Campaigns Northern France–Rhineland–Central Europe In memory of our comrades who paid the supreme sacrifice — Map (db m7263) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Fort Dix — The Ultimate Weapon
This monument is dedicated to the only indispensable instrument of war, The American Soldier--- The Ultimate Weapon “If they are not there, you don't own it.”           17 August 1990 [A nearby companion marker, shown in pictures below, outlines the people and effort needed to restore this monument. One side reads]: The "Ultimate Weapon" Monument was built by two extraordinary soldiers. Specialist 4 Steven M. Goodman and Private First Class Stuart J. Scherr, . . . — Map (db m7265) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Hedding — Kinkora Branch Railroad
Running from the Delaware River to New Lisbon, the historic Kinkora Branch RR carried produce in the 1800s. Later it was used to transport troops to Camp Dix during WW I and Fort Dix during WW II. — Map (db m34359) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Juliustown — World War II Monument
Erected as a tribute to the men of this community who served in World War II ———————— * In Memoriam * Henry D. Hoffman Thomas B. Hopkins Honor Roll Harry Allen • Leslie Atchason • Harry Bodine • Hazel Bowker • Howard Bowker • Robert Bowker • Israel Brown • David Cliver • Irving Cliver • Harbert Cox • Harold Cox • Samuel Cox, Jr. • Earl Danley • Ellis Danley • Howard Davis • Fred Detrick, Jr. • Joseph Fennell • . . . — Map (db m35949) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 36 — A Sears Roebuck House
This home was built by Albert and Belle Ballinger in 1911. All construction materials were shipped in two freight cars on the rail line that used to run through Mt. Holly to Medford. — Map (db m44718) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 19 — Aetna Furnace
Started by Charles Read in 1766, the ironworks closed in 1773. The site included sawmill, gristmill, smithy and 9000 acres of land. — Map (db m44989) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 7 — Braddock’s Landing
This was the head of navigation on the Rancocas. Before 1800 iron and charcoal were unloaded here from wagon to barge for shipment to Philadelphia. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45026) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 1 — Braddock’s Mill
An up-and-down sawmill was running here before 1800. Charcoal burned from native oak trees filled the needs of the Philadelphia Mint. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45077) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 18 — Christopher’s Mill
In 1678, the tract was 40,000 acres. The present 1743 house was built by the Hewlings family near the earlier mill. Signs of an early Indian camp ground exist across the road. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44668) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 62 — Cross Keys School
Built by Lester Gager in 1857 at the corner of Dixontown Road, the school was moved here by the township in 1976. Former students called it the “Knowledge Box”. — Map (db m45028) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 5 — Cross Keys Tavern
In 1777 Benjamin Thomas was granted a license to keep one of the first taverns near Medford at Cross Keys, now Fairview. — Map (db m44667) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 31 — Cross Roads
On February 4, 1847 Medford was set apart from Evesham Township and on March 9, 1847 the first meeting of Medford Township was held here at Crossroads, near the earliest homes. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44965) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 52 — Decades Ago in Lake Pine
In 1920 Lake Pine was a cranberry bog and Taunton Blvd was a sand road. This log cabin, built in 1926, was converted from a summer cottage to year-round, c. 1950. — Map (db m45022) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 12 — Dr. Still’s Office
About 1860, James Still, “The Black Doctor of the Pines” a self-taught son of slaves, made and dispensed his famous herbal remedies from this site 1847-1997 — Map (db m44968) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 35 — Ely Hall
Dr. Henry P. Ely built the house about 1844. The mansard roof was added after a fire in 1893. This 2 and ½ story home shows fine workmanship both inside and outside the building. — Map (db m44717) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 57 — Filbert Street School
The 2-story grammar school, built in 1876, had four more rooms added in 1907. Medford High School offered a 2-3 year program here, 1889-1917. The school closed in 1927. — Map (db m44729) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 59 — First House on Bank Street
Jacob Prickett built this home in 1827. Many windows have early glass. Original corner fireplaces in the living and dining rooms still operate efficiently. — Map (db m44736) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 58 — First House on Filbert Street
Built in 1842 by Mahlon Reeve, this home was bought by Everett Mickle in 1955. He preserved and shared an invaluable collection of old Medford photographs. — Map (db m44732) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 8 — Friends Meeting
Established in 1759, the first Meeting House was built in 1762 The present Meeting House dates from 1814, with the newest addition completed in 1984. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44780) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 50 — Glassworkers’ Homes
22 company-owned houses were built c. 1850 to 1864. Corner fireplaces provided heat and 3 outdoor wells supplied water. Rent was $5.00 to $6.00 per month. — Map (db m44665) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 23 — Haines / Cochley / Singer House
Inherited by Elwood Haines in 1847 from his father Jonathan Haines, the property was later sold to the Cochley family, who sold it to the Singer family in the 1930’s. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44775) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 3 — Hoot Owl Farm
Now called Sandy Run. This typical colonial glazed brick front home was built in 1772. Restoration was faithfully accomplished in recent years. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45023) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 13 — Kirby’s Mill
Started by John Haines in 1778, as a grist mill, the settlement grew to include a sawmill, a smithy, a wheelwright shop, and a cider mill. 1847 – 1997 — Map (db m44659) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 29 — Main Street Meeting House
Built in 1842 following a theological dispute that led to a separation between Orthodox and Hicksite Friends in 1827. Friends reunited under one yearly meeting in 1955. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44777) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — Medford Korean War Memorial
Erected by Medford Township in honor of the men and women who served their country 1950           in the Korean War           1955 Abrams, Harvey • Adams, David E. • Anderson, Joseph K. • Bakley, Henry T. • Barnes, Olin • Branin, Harold • Bruder, Edgar H. Jr. • Bunning, Harry • Carrigan, Roland F. Jr. • Colalillo, Joseph C. • Cooper, Horace A. • Cowperthwait, Charles A. • Cowperthwait, Doris E. • Cowperthwait, Francis E. • Crain, Harold W. • Davis, Elizabeth H. • DeMore, Albert F. • Freas, . . . — Map (db m45080) WM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — Medford Vietnam Memorial
Erected by Medford Township in honor of those who served their country in Vietnam Leroy E. Bunning, Jr. • Barry S. Chilkotowsky • Barry N. Wood • Herman J. Stricker • Harry Bozarth Jr. • Kenneth E. DeMore Jr. * • Harry C. Heinisom • Eugene J. McCrosson • Sheldon Milard • Rock Gregorio • Martin L. Ellis • M. Lawrence Ellis • Douglas Middleton • Ralph F. Shover • Thomas B. Godfrey • William M. Singer * • Richard D. Hiles • Anthony P. Randoldo • Peter P. Ranoldo Jr. • James A. Johnson • Anthony . . . — Map (db m44896) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — Medford World War I Memorial
“In honor of those who served their country in the war to ensure peace throughout the world” 1917       World War       1918 ------------------------- Harry Barnes • Samuel Beebe • Helen Branin + • Herbert Branin • Howard Branin • Claude Branin • H. Russell Brick • Clifford Budden • Anthony Cappel • Herbert Cochley ▼• Watson Cooper • Harry E. Davis • William Drayton • Michael Donagon • Samuel Edelson • S. Herbert Evans • Manasses Fauver • William Galbraith • Alfred . . . — Map (db m44895) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — Medford World War II Memorial
Erected by Medford Township in honor of the men and women who served their country 1941           in World War II           1945 Abate, Canio • Abate, Leonard. • Adams, David S. • Adams, Gene L. • Adkins, William • * Allen, Hazelton, W. • Anderson, Raymond H. • Atkinson, Clifford • Baessler, Paul • Baessler, Frank • Bakley, Marvin • Ballinger, Everett • * Barnes, Elmer • Barnes, Harry B. • Barrett, Doris • Barrett, Frank • Betts, Richard, W. M. D. • Bingemann, Karl G. J. Jr. • Birch, Russell • . . . — Map (db m45127) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 46 — Milton Allen’s School
This mid 1800’s house was once a private boarding school run by Milton H. Allen. The next year, 1874, it became Medford’s first fully free public school. — Map (db m44719) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 39 — Nine South Main Street
Isaac Stokes built this brick house about 1813. Half of the two-story upper level is an early sun room addition. This historic building was restored in the year 2000. — Map (db m44685) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 4 — Oliphant’s Mill
David Oliphant bought the sawmill / gristmill complex in 1763. Five generations of Oliphants operated the mill for over 90 years. — Map (db m44991) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 16 — Peacock Cemetery
Adonijah Peacock, a casualty of the gunpowder explosion of 1777 lies here among several generations of his family descendants. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44664) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 6 — Powder Explosion
Adonijah Peacock died in January 1777 while drying a shipment of gunpowder rejected by Washington’s Valley Forge Quartermaster. — Map (db m44983) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 25 — Riley / Garwood House
This classic 18th century Georgian house of Flemish Bond brick was built c. 1785. Note the belt coursing on the 2nd floor and the watertable brick details on the first floor. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44688) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 15 — Sandtown
Many generations of the Prickitt family called it Prickittown. Several houses in the area date to the 18th century. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44958) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 38 — St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
This church was built in 1875. Dr. A. E. Scheibner had his office here from 1969 until 1992. In 2000 it was converted by his daughter into her own restored historic home. — Map (db m44671) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 17 — Star Glass Works
Windowpanes were made here by a farmers’ cooperative in 1825, tableware by Cochrane, and bottles by Trimble. Star Glass operated from 1850 to 1923. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44950) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 27 — Stratton Burying Ground
Purchased for $120 by Evesham in 1813 from Enoch and Hannah Stratton for a public burying ground. Became part of Medford upon the founding of the township in 1847. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44972) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 32 — The Albert Kirby House
This 1908 late Victorian was home to Albert and Anna Kirby, 1925-1952. He was Master of the Masons, Building and Loan President and a partner in Kirby Brothers until 1945. — Map (db m44677) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 10 — The Benjamin Wilkins House
Built in 1785, this patterned glazed brick homestead is typical of several Wilkins properties of the period in this area. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45039) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 55 — The Brace Road School
In the 1830’s James Still, Herbal Doctor of the Pines, attended here. The earliest of Medford’s four rural one-room schools, it closed in 1918. — Map (db m44970) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 21 — The Dr. George Haines House
Dr. Haines was the first registered physician in Medford. He helped organize the County Agricultural Society and a local bank. He built this home for his bride in 1826. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44684) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 45 — The Dr. Josiah Reeve House
Dr. Reeve built this home in 1876. Medford’s first dentist, Dr. W. Roland Dunn, rented office and waiting room space here from the 1930’s to the mid 1950’s. — Map (db m44948) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 41 — The Dr. R. S. Braddock House
Physician R. S. Braddock lived in the mid 1800’s farmhouse c. 1875-1900. He was President of the Medford Fire Company in 1897 and served as Fire Chief from 1899 to 1901. — Map (db m44676) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 34 — The Everett Haines House
Two adjacent homes were built by twins, Everett and Maurice Haines in 1911. Active in the fire company, Everett also was an original Director of Camp Ockanickon, founded in 1905. — Map (db m44679) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 14 — The John Haines House
The oldest house in Medford is on land patented to the builder’s father in 1682. The west section was built c. 1690, with later additions. It was in the Haines family until 1919. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44962) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 63 — The John Peacock House
This 1790’s farmhouse was built by John Peacock. The homestead has been continuously in use as an operating farm since that time. — Map (db m44976) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 22 — The Jonathan Haines House
The home was built in 1760, the first in what is now called Medford Village. The 1820 addition was built by the grandson, also named Jonathan. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44781) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 43 — The Joseph Allen House
Built in 1896 by Joseph Allen, this was the first home in town with indoor plumbing. The land was purchased from Mark Reeves, Medford’s first real estate developer. — Map (db m44680) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 60 — The Mary Smith House
This home was built c. 1847. Small corner fireplaces heated the living room and the bedroom above. The 1961 addition blends well with the original architecture. — Map (db m44773) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 33 — The Maurice Haines House
Maurice and Jeanette Haines lived here from 1911 to 1974. He served years on Township Committee and as Mayor. She was a Quaker minister, admired for her service to the community. — Map (db m44678) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 49 — The Methodist Cemetery
Burials are thought to have started here in the 1820’s. The earliest legible date is 1836. Old area family names include Braddock, Prickett, Riley, Kirby and Stackhouse. — Map (db m44779) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 9 — The Nail House
Originally on Main Street, this house was used from about 1800 to mass produce cut nails using Mark Reeve’s horse powered machinery. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45036) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 20 — The Nehemiah Haines House
The “Miller’s House”, first mentioned in a 1787 Haines family will, remained in the Haines family until William S. Kirby purchased the mill properties in 1877. 1847 – 1997 — Map (db m44660) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 48 — The Oldest House on Branch Street
Henry Stackhouse built this home of salt box design c. 1815. The front porch was added later. The cedar siding resists the elements without needing to be painted. — Map (db m44726) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 40 — The Owen Stratton House
Owen Stratton, born in 1769 on his family’s farm south of the village, purchased this home in c. 1835 to be nearer the Union Street Friends Meeting House. — Map (db m44687) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 42 — The P.M. & M. Railroad
From 1881 to 1931 this former railroad station served the 12-mile line to Haddonfield. Milk, produce, passengers and mail were carried until the era of cars and trucks. — Map (db m44675) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 30 — The Sawyer’s House
This early simply detailed frame house was the home of the sawmill foreman at the mill complex. With the mill and the “Miller’s House” it is on the National Register. 1847 – 1997 — Map (db m44657) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 47 — The Stacy Prickett House
This Federal style brick home was built in 1830 for merchant Stacy Prickett. Legendary school mistress Bess Cowperthwaite, lived here in the early 1900’s. — Map (db m44720) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 24 — The Stratton/Braddock House
Isaac Stratton, son of Mark Stratton, in c. 1760 built this Flemish Bond brick home. It was probably built in two sections. In 1795 Robert Braddock purchased the property. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44772) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 11 — The Thomas Wilkins House
This, the second oldest home in Medford, was built in 1732. The Flemish Bond brick home remained in the Wilkins family until c. 1915, when it was sold to the English Setter Club. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45020) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 28 — The Toll House
Built by Ephraim Stratton c. 1830 in the style of a townhouse at Crossroads, which was the hub of Upper Evesham. Tolls were collected here on the Medford-Mt. Holly Turnpike. 1847-1997 — Map (db m45019) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 53 — The Village of Chairville
A chair parts factory and a sawmill operated here from 1845 to 1890. Chairville’s one-room school served children in the area until 1900. — Map (db m44661) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 44 — The Weeks-Bowker House
Joseph Bowker paid $300 for the lot on which this 1876 home was built. In the early 1900’s, Sadie Weeks Bowker always had 4 or 5 school teachers boarding with her. — Map (db m44682) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 26 — The William Dyer House
Built in 1841, this Greek Revival House has Flemish Bond brick pattern. The first floor was once a store, changed to a two-family home c. 1900. 1847-1997 — Map (db m44771) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Medford — 54 — Two One-Room Schools
Milton Allen attended Eastern School in 1848. He became the teacher in 1854. Eastern was moved from across the road in 1901. Next Kirby’s Mill School operated there until 1918. — Map (db m44953) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — “Hessian House”
Oldest portion built by Joshua Bispham Circa 1735 — Map (db m35882) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — First Moorestown, New Jersey Friends Meeting House
The granite stone behind this plaque marks the location of the first Friends Meeting House. Built of logs in 1700. It was the earliest building for worship in Moorestown. In 1720, it burned and was replaced with a large stone building which was demolished in 1802 when the present brick meeting house was built across Main Street. — Map (db m24650) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — Morgan Hollinshead Clock Shop Site
He was well known as a maker of grandfather clocks. Circa 1775-1832. For a number of years he was a member of the township committee. A Quaker, he died in 1832 and is buried in the Friends Graveyard across Main Street. The building, later used as a store, was demolished in 1969. — Map (db m24651) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — Roberts’ Hall
Oldest portion built by Joshua Borton Circa 1800 Owners: Gilbert Page, General Store & PO. 3rd Postmaster   1813 – 1839 Ebenezer Roberts   Late 1800. — Map (db m35963) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — Site of Coles Hotel
Built as a tavern about 1800, it became known in 1846 as the William Penn Hotel. C.C. & B.F. Coles purchased it in 1859 changing the name to Coles Hotel in 1890. Many important persons stopped here. It was also the home of the Camden-Moorestown Stagecoach at various times from 1820 to shortly after 1867 when with the coming of the railroad, the stages ceased to run. — Map (db m24659) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — Smith-Cadbury Mansion
. . . — Map (db m35879) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Moorestown — Town Hall
Front part built in 1812. Rear section with a stage added in 1859 and a jail at east rear corner in 1876. It was the town center for political meetings, lectures, suppers, fairs, flower shows and early silent movies. First police station located here. Later the building was used for township offices until 1975 when they were moved to the new municipal center. — Map (db m24652) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Battle of Ironworks Hill
Here on December 23, 1776 was fought the Battle of Ironworks Hill. This diversionary tactic aided Washington to capture Trenton. — Map (db m35868) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Cannon Made in Mount Holly
Used in Revolutionary War Erected By Camp No 71 P.O.S. of A. Mount Holly, N.J. 1915 — Map (db m35395) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Fire Company
Founded in 1752, The Relief Fire Co. is the oldest active volunteer company in the nation. Fire House Is On Premises — Map (db m35393) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Girard House
Stephen Girard lived here 1777-78. He later became prominent as a merchant shipowner, financier and philanthropist. [ Second Marker: ] Stephen and Mary Lum Girard resided and operated a retail store here during the American Revolution — Map (db m35870) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Historic Burlington County Court House
County Building A-3 Historic Burlington County Court House Samuel Lewis Architect Built 1796 — Map (db m35396) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Historic Burlington County Prison Museum1811-1865
The Burlington County Prison Museum is a National Historical Landmark located here in the heart of historic Mount Holly, New Jersey. Designed by Robert Mills, one of America's first native-born and trained architects, the Burlington County Prison was completed in 1811. As one of Mills' first independent architectural designs, the interior vaulted ceilings of poured concrete and the structure's brick and stone construction made the building virtually fireproof. Not only was the . . . — Map (db m35420) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Historic Prison
This Burlington County Jail was designed, 1808, by Robert Mills, noted Federal architect. His plan still influences penal building. — Map (db m35417) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — House of John R. Slack
House of John R. Slack Attorney at Law Circa 1856 — Map (db m36309) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Mansion of James Langstaff
Mansion of James Langstaff Farmer 1830 Purchased by Mount Holly Library - 1957 Chartered by King George III - 1765 — Map (db m36903) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Shinn-Curtis Log House
Thomas Shinn Owner Circa 1712 Preserved Through Funding By The Mt. Holly Historical Society — Map (db m35388) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — The Battle of Iron Works HillDecember 23, 1776
A decisive skirmish in the Revolutionary War. Colonel Samuel Griffin’s troops were entrenched at this site. They decoyed Colonel (Count) Kurt von Donop’s Hessian soldiers away from Bordentown thus reducing the enemy forces defending Trenton and assuring victory by General George Washington’s troops after the historic crossing of the Delaware River on Christmas Night, 1776. — Map (db m35865) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Laurel — Alice Stokes PaulWomen's Heritage Trail
Alice Stokes Paul (1885-1977) was born and spent her childhood years in this farmhouse, Paulsdale. She grew up in a Quaker family with a tradition of activism in education and public service and a strong belief in equality. Alice Paul dedicated her entire life to the single cause of securing equal rights for all women. She founded the National Women's Party in 1914 and led the first picketers to the White House gates in the name of women's suffrage. When women won the right to vote in 1920, . . . — Map (db m35780) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Laurel — Evesham Friends Meeting House
Oldest Friends Meeting House in Burlington County – Used as barracks for General Clinton’s troops in June 1778 Built 1760       Addition 1798 — Map (db m35883) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Laurel — Gen. Clinton House
Oldest portion built by Thomas Smith, Sr. 1738 — Map (db m35887) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Laurel — Paulsdale
The birthplace and family home of Alice Stokes Paul (1885-1977), 20th century international women's rights leader. As founder of the National Women's Party, Dr. Paul played a central role in the final struggle for women's suffrage, and authored the Equal Rights Amendment in 1923 for which she campaigned until her death. The Paul family lived on this 176-acre farm from 1883-1958. Paulsdale is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places and was named a National . . . — Map (db m35784) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Mt. Laurel — Marne Highway
The "Marne Highway" part of Burlington County route 537 connects Moorestown with Mount Holly. The last great attack in WWI by three German divisions in the battlefield sectors of the "Marne" in France was crush during July and August 1918. So named the "Marne" by local veteran posts to honour in this action the 109th infantry regiments of the US 3d division and a US marine brigade of the 2d division. As memorialized by General John J. Pershing: "In their devotion, their valor and in the loyal . . . — Map (db m60364) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), New Lisbon — A Limited Resource
All living things depend on water to service. Water covers almost three quarters of the earth's surface, but only three percent of it is fresh water, and less than one third of that is usable. The remaining fresh water is locked up as snow and ice at the polar regions. It is important to realize that our water resources are limited, and that we impact water quality and availability in subtle and sometimes far reaching ways. For example, mercury (a toxic chemical) is released into the . . . — Map (db m36820) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Chain placed across the street
Chain placed across the street one day each year to signify private property of the John A. Roebling's Sons Co. — Map (db m33977) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Main Cable
Main Cable 1906 - 1980 George Washington Bridge 1827 - 1931 Golden Gate Bridge 1933 - 1937 Fabricated by John A. Roebling & Sons — Map (db m33302) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Roebling Auditorium
Built in 1915, entertainment in the auditorium included vaudeville shows, minstrels, boxing matches and movies. It was one of the first centrally air-conditioned building in the United States. — Map (db m33317) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Roebling Ball Park
Built in the 1920, this field was one of the nicest ball parks in New Jersey. Originally a wooden fence surrounded the playing field. There was also a large grandstand that could seat 1,200 fans. — Map (db m33307) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Roebling Inn
Built in 1905, men working in the construction of the plant and village paid $2.00 a week for room and board. At one time there were two bowling lanes in the cellar. — Map (db m33577) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Roebling Memorial
This memorial erected by the citizens of the Town of Roebling in honor and in memory of the founders, sons of John A. Roebling 1905 - 1930 — Map (db m33584) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Roebling — Roebling Roll of Honor
Abrams, Walter R. • Abrams, Howard • Agoes, Joseph • Alesander, James • Alexander, William • Anchak, Joseph • *Andrews, Alexander W. • Andrews, Malcolm, Jr. • *Arnold, Robert L. • Arnold, Frank • Austin, Lawrence R. Babalya, Michael T. • Balag, George • Bantya, Louis, Jr. • Barota, Nicholas, O. • Barta, John • Basarab, John • Basarab, Petruse • Beese, Theodore J. • Behme, Herman • Benedict, Thomas St. • Bennett, Roseville • Benyeda, Paul N. • . . . — Map (db m33309) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Shamong — The Story Of Atsion
Atsion’s history begins with iron. In 1765 Charles Read purchased lands at Atsion and established an iron forge. The village’s most prosperous period began in 1824 when Samuel Richards purchased the property. Under his ownership, Atsion consisted of the family’s mansion, a church, three sawmills, numerous worker dwellings, the company store, a furnace, a forge, a grist mill and a workforce of over 120 men. Following Richard’s death in 1842, and the decline of the local iron industry, Atsion’s . . . — Map (db m42338) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Shamong Township — Indian Reservation
Founded in 1758 by the New Jersey provincial legislature on the Edgepillock or Brotherton tract, now Indian Mills. Under the guidance of the Reverend John Brainerd, a self supporting community was established here. In 1801, the Indians accepted the invitation of the Oneidas in New York to “come and eat out of our dish." — Map (db m42273) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Springfield Township — Petticoat Bridge SkirmishDecember 23, 1776
On orders from General Washington to pull Hessian troops southward from positions of support near Trenton, 600 Americans, stationed at Mount Holly under Colonel Samuel Griffin, attacked a Hessian outpost here on December 21. When the 3,000 Hessians quartered in Burlington County retaliated by marching against Petticoat Bridge on December 23, they were met with a barrage of gunfire. Following a sharp skirmish, the Americans withdrew to Mount Holly luring the Hessians still further from Trenton. . . . — Map (db m35866) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Springfield Township — Revolutionary War HospitalDecember 23, 1776
The brick structure standing near this point, is Copany Meeting House, built in 1775, following a skirmish between American units under Colonel Samuel Griffin and Hessian troops commanded by Colonel Kurt von Donop at nearby Petticoat Bridge on December 23, 1776, it was used by Hessians as a hospital in which to treat their wounded.Springfield Township Bicentennial Committee Map (db m35867) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Springfield Township — Upper Springfield Meeting House and CemeteryHistorical Site — 1727
This Site was placed in the National and New Jersey State Historical Registers in 1979. The Meeting House, situated at the intersection of two Indian Trails, is one of the oldest in Burlington County. Early Quakers worshipped here and are resting in the Burial Grounds. — Map (db m35918) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle — Home of Gilbert W. Knight
Gilbert W. Knight blacksmith, G.A.R. Vet., N.J. 23rd Vol. Reg. Son, Harry L. Knight born July 4, 1866, Burlington Co. Clerk N.J. Public Utilities Comm. — Map (db m35226) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle — Kemble Inn
Owner 1845 Charles S. Kemble, innkeeper, farmer, blacksmith, member N.J. House of Assembly 1855-59. Burl. Co. Sheriff 1869. Died while in office. — Map (db m35219) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle — Log Church
Site "The Tabernacle in the Wilderness" Established 1778 by John Brainerd. Both whites and indians worshipped here. Used as school until 1885. — Map (db m35222) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle — Site of Blacksmith Shop
Most necessary in Colonial Times, date erected unknown. Blacksmiths were Charles Kemble, Gilbert Knight, Henry Allen, and William Cutts — Map (db m35216) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle Township — Carranza Memorial
This monument commemorates the legacy and tragic accident of Captain Emilio Carranza Rodriguez, a Mexican aviator. Born in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico, Carranza was returning from a goodwill mission on a nonstop flight from New York to Mexico City when he crashed here during a thunderstorm. His goodwill mission marked the longest flight flown by a Mexican Aviator up until that time. Though his accomplishments earned him the nickname the "Lindbergh of Mexico." he was most often regarded among . . . — Map (db m35139) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle Township — Cemetery
A wandering priest made this hallowed ground for all time. Graves marked by heavy pine slabs. Only stone inscribed, Charles Wills 1839. — Map (db m36801) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle Township — Monument
Captain Emilio Carranza fell to his death while returning to Mexico on good will flight 1928. Pennies of Mexican children. — Map (db m35121) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle Township — Site of Stamping Mill
Stamping Mill Built on Green Limb Branch near here. Locally called "Tunking Mill" from sound of blows of heavy hammers. — Map (db m35493) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Tabernacle Township — Speedwell
Saw Mill Built by Daniel Randolph, 1770. Furnace and forge by Benjamin Randolph, 1773. Log house standing until 1948, also a log schoolhouse here. — Map (db m36798) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Whitesbog — Whitesbog Village
Historic Whitesbog Village has its origins in 1857 when James A. Fenwick began cultivating cranberry bogs at this location. His son-in-law Joseph Josiah White took over management of the farm upon Fenwick's death in 1882, and not long after the company town for Joseph J. White, Inc. began to emerge. It was here in 1916 that the collaborative work of J. J. White's daughter Elizabeth Coleman White and Dr. Frederick V. Coville of the U. S. Department of Agriculture resulted in the development of . . . — Map (db m35117) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Willingboro — Honor RollWillingboro Township — Those Who Served in World War II
Honor Roll Willingboro Township Those Who Served in World War II Clifford Anderson • David R. Ballinger • Florence H. Ballinger • Allen A. Bartlett • Jess Bryan Bennett • Earnest W. Bowder • H. Dean Bowker • Keith H. Bowker • Percy M. Bowker • James G. Buck • Joseph W. Buck • Ralph Burkley • *Wayland B. Buzzelli • Joseph P. Catanzariti • Nickolas Catanzariti • Harry Stuart Chant, Jr. • Samuel T. Clark • Francis P. D'Autchrey • James C. D'Autchrey • Wilbur A. Denning • David W. Fennel . . . — Map (db m36177) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Willingboro — Old School House
Old School House Constructed 1866 — Map (db m66141) HM
167 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 594 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.