HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Camden County Markers
New Jersey (Camden County), Audubon — A Tribute to Audubon's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
Panel 1 Samuel M. Sampler In memory of his bold charge through hostile fire resulting in the surrender of twenty-eight enemy soldiers near St. Etienne, France, 8 October 1918. He died on 19 November 1979. Panel 2 Edward C. Benfold In memory of the selfless sacrificing of his own life for the lives of two countrymen he was treating while defending the wounded. He was killed in Korea on 5 September 1952. Panel 3 Nelson V. Brittin In memory of his courageous leadership . . . — Map (db m64169) WM
New Jersey (Camden County), Blackwood — St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m79411) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Camden — American Merchant Marine Memorial
Dedicated to the Veterans of the U.S. Merchant Marine and the U.S. Navy Armed Guard of World War II Their graves are marked only by the waves of the ocean. We miss them, we respect them and we shall never forget them. Map (db m7430) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Camden — The Campbell KidsBeloved Icons of Campbell Soup Company
When the campbell Kids were created in 1904 for a Campbell Soup Company ad campaign, little did anyone realize what enduring icons the fresh-faced, roly-poly characters would become. The Campbell Kids first appeared with cans of soup and verses promoting Campbell's quality, convenience and taste. The Kids were an immediate hit, and they quickly moved from streetcar placards to all of the company's advertisinig, as well as souvenir postcards, place cards, lapel buttons, and even dolls, all of . . . — Map (db m7427) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Camden — The VictorThe "Nipper Building"
The revitalization of this historic landmark symbolizes the rebirth of Camden on its 175th Anniversary. RCA Victor Building #17, completed in 1916, was widely known as the "Nipper Building" after the company's Nipper the Dog logo. It became the site of the most significant developments in phonograph, radio and television history. In 2003 it was converted to residential use by Dranoff Properties and renamed The Victor. — Map (db m7426) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Camden — USS New Jersey Marine Detachments
Dedicated to the memory of the Marines of the Marine Detachments that served aboard the USS New Jersey from 1942–1991 Sember Fidelis — Map (db m7432) WM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — Colestown Cemetery
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m79600) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — Free Wheel
Cherry Hill Township’s first public sculpture speaks to the history and heritage of the Croft Farm as both the site of a successful milling industry and a station along the Underground Railroad.

Created entirely of steel, the sculpture stands over 10 feet high and weighs more than 6,500 lbs. The process to create the piece from raw metal into a work of art was considerable, and there were obstacles and challenges to be handled at every step of the way.

Mayor Bernard A. Platt, Town . . . — Map (db m79608) HM

New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — Old Salem Road
Here, Old Salem Road, laid out 1681 – 1686, crossed the north branch of Cooper River. The British Army used this road from Haddonfield, June 19, 1778, their right wing branching to Evesham and the left to Moorestown, enroute to Monmouth Court House. — Map (db m29226) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — Samuel Colesc. 1635-1693
1676 Original Land Grant to Samuel Coles by William Penn; 1685 New Orchard purchased by Coles, present cemetery grounds; 1683-5 Member of State Legislature; 1693 died at Barbados, survived by wife, Elizabeth Ibbs, son Samuel and daughter Sarah. — Map (db m79599) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — The Kay-Evans House at Croft Farm
The Kay-Evans house at Croft Farm dates to the mid 18th century when Isaac Kay, a prominent West Jersey settler, built a two-story brick dwelling to accompany his burgeoning milling establishment on the banks of the Cooper River. Subsequent owner Thomas Evan, and his son Josiah, expanded the house and their milling and farming businesses on the site in the mid-1800s. The Evanses were active Quaker abolitionists and used the property as a station along the Underground Railroad, assisting runaway . . . — Map (db m79602) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — The Outbuildings at Croft Farm
Croft Farm is fortunate to have a number of extant outbuildings on the property, including the only octagonal ice house in Camden County. All three outbuildings were utilized by several generations of the Evans Family, owners of the property for more than a century. The unique structures reflect the importance of the preservation and preparation of food for the early American farming family.

Icehouse (left) Much like its name suggests, an icehouse was designed to store ice for . . . — Map (db m79603) HM

New Jersey (Camden County), Collingswood — General Thaddeus Kosciuszko
General Thaddeus Kosciuszko Revolutionary War Hero Dedicated By Polish American Congress South Jersey Division October 14, 1984 — Map (db m47669) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddon Heights — Crystal LakeHaddon Heights-1907 Atlas
Until the 1930s, a small body of water known a Crystal Lake graced the western end of Station Avenue in Haddon Heights. It was framed by North and South Park Avenues and served as the terminus (and namesake) for Lake Street. This lake was created by the damming of Kings Run, the waterway which becomes the southern branch of Newton Creek, and served as the dividing line between Haddon and Centre Townships until the Borough of Haddon Heights was created from them in 1904. European settlements . . . — Map (db m79635) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddon Heights — Glover Fulling Mill & Kings Run17th & 18th Century Transportation and Manufacturing in Haddon Heights
The unusual topography in the McLaughlin-Norcross Dell area of the Camden County Park dates to the Colonial period. The steep slopes were related to King’s Run, a navigable waterway that provided the area’s first means of transportation in the 17th Century when European settlement in West Jersey began.

Until the 1920s, a brick and stone mill stood on the opposite side of the stream behind the stage of the Dell. This mill housed machinery to clean cloth and make it thicker by controlled . . . — Map (db m79636) WM

New Jersey (Camden County), Haddon Township — Saddler’s Woods
Welcome to Saddler’s Woods Historic Conservation Area. These woods are in the Newton Creek watershed and contain old growth ecosystems, restored woodlands, and wetlands.

Saddler’s Woods is named in honor of Joshua Saddler. Saddler was a slave on a Maryland plantation and escaped to freedom with his wife and two daughters in the late 1830’s. It was here that Saddler found refuge and with the help of a local Quaker, Cy Evans, Saddler acquired a small farm and home for his family.

In time, . . . — Map (db m79621) HM

New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Alfred Eastlack DriscollLawyer, Administrator, Statesman
Exponent of the Business of Government. Distinguished Citizen-Educated in the Haddenfield Public Schools, Williams College, Harvard University-with an imposing record of the achievement as a Public Servant in his Community, State, and Nation. Member of the Board of Education, Commissioner of the Borough of Haddonfield, State Senator of Camden County, Director, State Alcoholic Beverage Control, Governor of the State of New Jersey 1947-1954 under whose notable administration the Constitution of 1948 was adopted. — Map (db m79615) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Guard House
This House built in colonial times was used during the Revolutionary War as a Guard House for persons suspected of aiding the British cause and brought for trial before The Council of Safety then meeting in the Indian King — Map (db m29233) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Hadrosaurus Foulkii
In a marl pit on the John E. Hopkins farm in October 1858, the world’s first nearly complete dinosaur skeleton was unearthed by William Parker Foulke. The find was adjacent to this point. This was also the first dinosaur skeleton to ever be mounted. The bones represented a 25 foot, 7-8 ton herbivorous hadrosaurus (reptile). Its height probably ranged from 6-10 feet at the hips. Some 55 of an estimated 80 bones were discovered. This creature lived 70-80 million years ago during the Cretaceous . . . — Map (db m29239) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Hadrosaurus foulkii
John Giannotti, Sculptor Dedicated October 18, 2003 Commemorates the Historic Discovery by William Parker Foulke Haddonfield, N.J. 1858 — Map (db m29240) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Hessian Army during the Revolutionary War
During the Revolutionary War the Hessian Army was encamped on these grounds before and after the battle of Red Bank, fought October 22, 1777, near Fort Mercer on the Delaware River, where it met defeat.

The officers occupied the houses on the west side of the road. The first brick house from Cooper’s Creek was owned by John Middleton and was demolished in 1926 when this high school was erected.

The two buttonwoods in front of this building were slips from the historic buttonwood trees . . . — Map (db m79614) WM

New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Historic Haddonfield
Oct. 21, 1777, Col. Von Donop camped here before the Battle of Red Bank. Gen. Wayne and Col. Ellis foraged nearby in Feb., 1778, but left on the approach of Maj. Simcoe. June, 1778, the British under Clinton and Knyphausen camped here en route to Monmouth. — Map (db m29236) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Indian King Tavern
Within this building then a tavern-house, the Council of Safety for New Jersey was organized March 18th 1777.   Herein also, in September of the same year the Legislature unanimously resolved that thereafter the word “state” should be substituted for “colony” in all public writs and Commissions.1750       1900 — Map (db m29230) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Indian King Tavern State Historic Site (NR)Crossroads of the American Revolution National Heritage Area
In late 1776, the British Army invaded northern New Jersey. The New Jersey Legislature fled south to Haddonfield. In May 1777, Hugh Creighton, keeper of the Indian King Tavern, purchased the dwelling in which the New Jersey Assembly had rented a room. From Creighton’s room, the Assembly approved 20 war measures ranging from the purchase of arms and ammunition to granting militia exemptions to men working in defense industries. Here also it approved a state seal and voted to “establish . . . — Map (db m74234) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Jonas Cattell1758     1849
With four cannon and 1600 Hessian troops, Count von Donop camped 300 yards east of here en route to Fort Mercer at Red Bank. A prisoner that night, Jonas Cattell, 18 years old, was released when the enemy moved out before daylight. He ran to warn the fort ten miles distant. Col. Christopher Greene ordered that the cannon commanding the Delaware [River] be repositioned to meet the landward attack. Thanks to the timely warning that day, Oct. 22, 1777, three hundred Colonials defeated the Hessian . . . — Map (db m29293) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road
King’s Road → Laid out in 1681 over a portion of the trail of the Lenni Lenape Indians running from Perth Amboy to Salem. --------------- Chew’s Landing Road ← Used by the early New Jersey colonists. --------------- This stone commemorates the spirit of humanity and kindness existing between the colonists of New Jersey and the Unalachtigo Lenape tribe the original owners of these lands. “Not one drop of our blood have you spilled in battle; not an acre of our land . . . — Map (db m29296) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — New Jersey Building
New Jersey Building at Centennial Exposition of 1876 was re-erected and stood on this site from 1877 until about 1900 — Map (db m29420) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Old Grove School1809     1959
The Old Grove School stood on this site.It was deeded by William E. Hopkins from land which came down through the family from Elizabeth Haddon and here the Grove School was built. Mr. Hopkins wanted all the children of the village to have educational opportunity. Up to that time, the Friends was the only school in Haddonfield. On July 7th, 1855, the Old Grove School became the first Public School in Haddonfield. It was understood that any religious group could hold service here and three of . . . — Map (db m29298) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Reeves-Glover HouseNo. 232 Kings Highway East — Circa 1813
The east half of this house was built by the Alexanders in 1813, on the site of an earlier frame house owned by Lydia Bates. Subsequent owners were Benjamin Cooper and Samuel M. Reeves. The west half of the home was added by the later owner in 1835. Reeves’ granddaughter married George B. Glover and she inherited the house. Thereafter, through the years it was known as the Glover homestead. — Map (db m29297) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — The Hasrosaurus foulkii Sculpture
Commemorates the Historic Discovery by William Parker Foulke in Haddonfield, New Jersey, 1858 Historic Fossil The 1858 find was the most complete dinosaur skeleton unearthed anywhere in the world up until that time. It was the first that included enough bones to reconstruct key points of the actual anatomy of a dinosaur. It profoundly changed our understanding of natural history. Scientific Impact In 1868, 26 years after dinosaurs had been recognized as a group of ancient animals, the . . . — Map (db m73253) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Haddonfield — Ye Kings Highway
This street was laid and surveyed in 1681 by order of the representative of the King of England and called Ye Kings Highway — Map (db m29235) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Lawnside — The Story of the Peter Mott House
The Peter Mott House is the oldest known house in Lawnside, the only African-American Community incorporated in New Jersey. Built circa 1845, the structure served as the residence of Peter Mott, and African-American preacher who started the first Sunday school at Mt. Pisgah A.M.E. Church, and his wife Eliza, within what was then called Snow Hill or Free Haven.

Although no birth certificate survives, based on census records Peter Mott was apparently born around 1810. According to marriage . . . — Map (db m79412) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 564 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.