|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Caroline Court House|
|Caroline County-established, 1773, from parts of Queen Anne's and Dorchester Counties - held its early courts at seven different locations until 1797 when its first courthouse was built on this site, once known as Pig Point.
The 1895 replacement was renovated and extensively added to, 1966. The courthouse was purchased 1791 for 120 shillings. — Map (db m3388) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Denton|
|Originally called "Edenton" for Robert Eden, Maryland's last Colonial Governor.
was named in honor of his wife Caroline Calvert, a sister of Frederick, the last Lord Baltimore. — Map (db m3391) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Great Wars of World Conflict|
|Dedicated in honor of the men and women from Caroline County who served their country during the great wars of world conflict. — Map (db m4534) WM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Hubs of Activity — Terminals, Wharves and Landings on the Choptank|
|Sailboats and steamboats unloaded and loaded passengers and freight all along the Choptank. As trade increased in the 1800s, people built wharves and landings every few miles on the river.
A wharf bustled with activity when a boat arrived. Children raced to the dock to watch the action. Stevedores moved freight. Passengers disembarked or boarded. Farmers brought their products to the dock for loading. Locals exchanged news with travelers.
The steamboat terminal at West Denton, owned . . . — Map (db m68427) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — John Wilkes Booth — Escape of an Assassin — War on the Chesapeake Bay|
|Divided loyalties and ironies tore at Marylander’s hearts throughout the Civil War: enslaved African-Americans and free United States Colored Troops; spies and smugglers; civilians imprisoned without trial to protect freedom; neighbors and families at odds in Maryland and faraway battlefields. From the Eastern Shore to the suburbs of Washington, eastern Maryland endured those strains of civil war in ways difficult to imagine today.
Those strains continued even after Confederate General . . . — Map (db m3390) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Neck Meeting House|
|Neck or Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House was built in 1802 by members of the Society of Friends who had been Nicholites, a sect that originated in Caroline County. The building was used as a house of worship and as a Friends School until 1897. The building was then rented by "Dunkards" for religious meetings for black persons and as a school. It was privately sold in 1901 and since 1949 has been owned by Choptank Electric Cooperative, Inc. — Map (db m5075) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Nest of Traitors — The Denton Arrests|
|On August 17, 1862, the steamboat Balloon arrived at Denton wharf and disembarked a company of New York infantry and a troop of cavalry. The soldiers quickly arrested twelve prominent local citizens and transported them to imprisonment at Fort McHenry in Baltimore. Had the U.S. Army broken up a nest of traitors as implied by pro-Union newspapers, or was this an example of what states-rights poet James Ryder Randell described as the "despot's heel" in rural Maryland?
Clearly, . . . — Map (db m68428) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — On this spot Sept. 5, 1938 stood Franklin Delano Roosevelt|
|"It is the privilege of some of us to dream dreams, and some of us to carry out the dreams of others" — Map (db m3541) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Revolution or Fraud? — Emancipation in Caroline Co.|
|Maryland slaves were not freed by the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, which excluded states that remained in the Union from its provisions. It was Maryland's new constitution, adopted by the narrow margin of 291 votes of almost 60,000 cast on November 2, 1864, that ended slavery in the state. The voluntary abolition of slavery here boosted the reelection campaign of President Abraham Lincoln. Though hailed as "The Mighty Revolution," emancipation and the new constitution resulted from . . . — Map (db m3389) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Steamboats on the Choptank River — Connecting Denton to the World|
|Steamboats carrying passengers and freight brought prosperity to Denton and Caroline County during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Caroline County's economy was based on agriculture. Farmers had to market their products. Steamboats quickly and efficiently carried fresh and canned vegetables and fruit to the Chesapeake Bay and on to markets in Baltimore and elsewhere.
Farmers prospered. Canneries, granaries, a flourmill, fertilizer warehouses, a shirt factory, stores and a blacksmith . . . — Map (db m68429) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Marshyhope Creek Bridge|
|Until it was named Federalsburg in 1812,
the community took its name from the bridge
at this crossing. This 215-foot concrete
structure was built in 1910 by the Luten
Bridge Company of York, Pennsylvania, a firm noted for
its filled Spanderel Arch design. It was
built as part of the newly-formed state
roads commission's plan to improve the
highway system. Repaired and altered after
the flood of 1935. — Map (db m60467) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Greensboro — Goldsborough House|
|Judge Laird Goldsborough lived here 1897-1970. As onetime Adjutant General of the Philippines he authored the Island's first constitution. Part of the house is of pre-revolutionary construction.
Among other members of this Caroline County family distinguished for public service: W. E. Goldsborough, U. S. Consul, Amoy, China; T. Alan Goldsborough, longtime U. S. Congressman and Federal Judge; Dr. G. Winder Goldsborough, General Practitioner and State Legislator; and Elwell Goldsborough nationally famous electrical engineer. — Map (db m3394) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Greensboro — Greensboro|
|Founded 1732 as Bridge-Town, then in Queen Anne's and Dorchester Counties. Named Greensboro 1791. Sessions of Caroline County Court held here November, December, 1778; June 1779; march, 1780. Choptank Bridge, the first across the river built near here before 1732. — Map (db m3395) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Greensboro — Letter to Lincoln — Chaos on the Eastern Shore|
|The war divided communities in Maryland, pitting neighbor against neighbor. During Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's first invasion of the North, which ended at Antietam, a Greensboro resident wrote to President Abraham Lincoln for assistance on September 13 1862:
We the Loyal Union people of the Eastern Shore of Maryland are in contact constantly with vile secesh(secessionists) Traitors, that frequently threaten us with vengeance when Stonewall Jackson comes into the state. They declare . . . — Map (db m3398) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Greensboro — Peter Harrington — Revolutionary Officer, founder of Greensboro|
|Son of Nathan Harrington and grandson of Peter Rich, early landowners here. He served in 1778 as 2nd Lieutenant, 28th Battalion of Militia, Caroline County. In 1783, he successfully laid out town on tract called Ingram's Desire (efforts to sell lots beside Choptank Bridge in 1732 having failed). He built brick house, church and Bernard Avenues, 1786-1789. After his death in 1814, he was buried in this yard which he had donated for Methodist Meeting House in 1789. Nearby are graves of his younger son Alexander and daughter Mary. — Map (db m3396) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Hillsboro — Frederick Douglass — Tales of Horror|
|The anti-slavery movement was a major factor in the regional contention that led to the Civil War. During the 1840s and 1850s, no individual generated greater support in both America and Europe for that movement than Frederick Douglass. His eloquent speeches and writings were uniquely influential because they were based on his personal experiences as a Maryland slave from his birth near Hillsboro in 1818 until his escape from Baltimore in 1838.
Many of Douglass' best known and most . . . — Map (db m68430) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Hillsboro — St. Paul’s Episcopal Church — (St. John’s Parish)|
Established 1748 at nearby Tuckahoe Bridge in Queen Anne's County. Congregation built church here in 1768, but it fell into decline as influence of Methodism grew on Eastern Shore. Under guidance of Rev. Robert William Goldsborough, present Gothic revival structure was begun 1853, patterned after design of Richard Upjohn. Despite destructive windstorm, church was completed, consecrated in 1858. — Map (db m3393) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Charles Dickenson|
|Born here on Wiltshire Manor in Caroline County in 1780. Moved to Foxley Hall, Easton on 1795. He read law under Judge Marshall. He met Andrew Jackson traveling across the Eastern Shore to the United States congress. He moved to Nashville Tennessee. Killed by Jackson in a duel May 30, 1806 in the Red River Valley of Kentucky. Body returned here by Truxton faithful Negro servant. Lead casket found 500 yards east of this spot Dec. 1, 1965. — Map (db m46119) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Choptank|
|Before 1679, Indians had a settlement here. Present village stands on parts of tracts once known as Paradise, Belmont, Huntington and Gore. Community was "Leonard's Wharf" c. 1855 and "Medford's Wharf" later. In 1883 Choptank Post Office was established, named for both the Indian Tribe and the River. Shipping and industry spurred growth during the 1880's. — Map (db m3375) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Colonel William Richardson — Born 1735, died 1825|
|Member Maryland Assembly 1773–76. Introduced bill forming Caroline County 1774 of which he was one of the Commissioners. Colonel of the “Flying Camp” of the Eastern Shore 1776. Fought at Harlem Heights. First Colonel 5th Maryland Regiment. Moved Continental Treasury from Philadelphia to Baltimore 1777. Helped suppress Tory rebellions in lower Eastern Shore. Presidential Elector 1789–1793. Lived and lies buried at Gilpin’s Point. — Map (db m3377) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Linchester — Circa 1681|
|Since the establishment of Hunting Creek Grist Mill prior to 1681, a mill on this site has served farmers. Known during the Revolutionary War as Murray’s Mill, it supplied provisions to the Continental Army. Linchester also was a Colonial Port of Entry. — Map (db m3366) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Preston|
|Started 1846 around Frazier's Chapel, an early Methodist Church, the land for which was purchased 1797. First called "Snowhill", the name was changed to Preston 1856, in honor of a prominent Baltimore lawyer. Preston was chartered as a town 1892. — Map (db m3365) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Site of Frazier’s Chapel — Preston, Maryland, 1785|
|Built by Rev. Freeborn Garrettson and Captain William Frazier. Early Methodist pastors included Jesse Lee, Joseph Everette and Bishops Francis Asbury and John Emory. Remodeled and named Bethesda 1849. Present church built 1875. Rebuilt 1958. — Map (db m3362) HM|
|Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — The Underground Railroad — Seed of War|
| Among the factors that contributed to the coming of the Civil War was the increasing animosity between Southerners and Northerners over the issue of slavery. The operation of the Underground Railroad to help slaves escape to the free North and Canada, which was supported by Northern anti-slavery societies, was a sharp thorn in the sides of slaveholders.
Two major "stations" on the Underground Railroad were located near Preston. Local Quakers, long opposed to slavery, operated one and . . . — Map (db m5411) HM|