|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
|Carroll County Markers
|Ohio (Carroll County), Carrollton — “Fighting McCook” Home|
|Build 1830 by Maj. Daniel McCook, Sr. Birthplace of four younger of his nine sons, eight of whom with the father served in the Civil War. All commissioned officers except one. Surg'n Latimer A.; Gen. George W.; Maj.-Gen. Robert L.; Maj.-Gen A. McDowell; Brig.-Gen. Daniel, Jr.; Maj.-Gen. Edwin S.;'Priv. Charles M.; Col. John J. — Map (db m291) HM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Carrollton — 1-10 — The Fighting McCooks and the Civil War|
|Major Daniel McCook of Carrollton and his 9 sons and their cousins, the 5 sons of Dr. John McCook of Steubenville, won popular acclaim for their outstanding service in the United States Army an Navy.
“TRIBE OF DAN”
Maj. Daniel: mortally wounded at Buffington Island.
Maj Latimer: a surgeon.
Brig. Gen. George: early regimental commander
Midshipman John: died at sea.
Brig. Gen. Alexander: commander of the 20th Corps.
Brig. Gen. Daniel Jr.: mortally wounded at Kennesaw . . . — Map (db m290) HM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Carrollton — The First Courthouse|
|Site of Carroll County's first courthouse, built in 1835. Bricks were burned one block west in the Atkinson-McCook brickyard and laid in "Flemish Bond" style. The bell was cast in Pittsburgh in 1842, shipped by boat to Wellsville, and brought to Carrollton by ox-cart. George Y. Hampson, contractor; Peter Herold, Sr., carpenter. First elected commissioners were John Shober, William Davis and James Ferrall. — Map (db m289) HM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Malvern — Malvern Veteran's Memorial|
|In honor of those who paid the price of freedom
You will never be forgotten. — Map (db m80728) WM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Malvern — 2-10 — The Great Trail / The Ohio Country in the Revolution|
The Great Trail
Gateway to the Ohio Country
The ancient trail that passed near this spot was the major overland route entering the Ohio Country from the east through the 1700s. Also known as the Tuscarawas Path, the Great Trail was used by Native Americans, European explorers, fur traders, missionaries, military expeditions, land agents-and settlers after Ohio became a state. In January 1761, during the French and Indian War, Major Robert Rogers and thirty-eight . . . — Map (db m80715) HM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Malvern — The Sandy and Beaver Canal|
|Planned in 1827 as an important trade route between Glasgow on the Ohio River, to the Ohio Canal at Bolivar, passed here. A basin and toll station were located nearby at Lodi, as well as Locks 19 and 20 and a canal dam. This segment of the Western Division was completed in 1845, and saw regular service between Hanover and Bolivar until 1853. The coming of the railroad and recurring floods caused its abandonment.
The stones supporting this marker are from Lock 19 — Map (db m80716) HM|
|Ohio (Carroll County), Salineville — Morganís Raid|
|Here on July 26, 1863 occurred the northernmost engagement of Confederate forces during the Civil War. In this immediate area, troops under Major General John H. Morgan, C.S.A., and General James Shackelford, U.S.A., met in full engagement. After evading Union troops, Morganís forces were re-formed at Norristown, from whence they proceeded to West Point, where Morgan surrendered his command. — Map (db m243) HM|
2006–2016, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us
in 364 ms.