Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cecil County Maryland – Historical Markers

Quaker Brick Meeting House image, Click for more information
By William Pfingsten, July 17, 2007
Quaker Brick Meeting House
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Brick Meeting House
William Penn set aside lot no. 30 (500 acres) of the “Nottingham Lots” in 1702 for a “common” and site of a “meeting house” as a bold move in the boundary line dispute with Lord Baltimore. It has been continuously . . . — Map (db m1753) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Calvert — Calvert Village
40 acre grant from William Penn in 1701 on which present East Nottingham Friends Meeting House built, 1724, with stone addition completed in 1752. Used as an American Army hospital in 1778. Cross Keys Tavern built in 1744, was mid-way on Old . . . — Map (db m1756) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Cecilton — Founded on FriendshipChesapeake Country National Scenic Byway
The town of Cecilton owes its existence to Augustine Herman, a 1633 immigrant to America. A wealthy merchant, diplomat, cartographer, and explorer, he also proposed the creation of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal a century before it was . . . — Map (db m80614) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Cecilton — Greenfield
Georgian Manor House, built in the mid 1700’s on a 750 acre tract patented to John and Mary Ward in 1674, is noted for its architectural purity, fine paneling and woodwork. The Ward burying ground nearby also contains graves of Lusbys and Pascaults, . . . — Map (db m1569) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Captain Michael Rudulph
During Revolutionary War this daring officer commanded Cecil County troop of Lee’s Legion, the Calvary of Lieutenant Colonel Henry (Lighthorse Harry)Lee. Near here in 1778 Rudulph is said to have led squad disguised as poultry peddlers who boarded . . . — Map (db m1689) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Charlestown
Laid out and erected as a town by Act of Assembly in 1742 “there being as yet no such place settled at, or near the head of Chesapeake Bay.” George Washington records many visits to Charlestown in his diary. He lodged here August 10, . . . — Map (db m1685) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Lt. Col. Nathaniel Ramsay
Member of Council of Safety and Courageous Officer of the Maryland Line in Revolutionary War, native of Pennsylvania, Princeton Graduate (1767) and lawyer. He settled in brick house near this site after his marriage in 1771 to Margaret Jean Peale. . . . — Map (db m1687) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Shrewd DecisionStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Hard Pressed Militiamen were often assigned elsewhere, leaving hometown defense to those exempted from service due to age or infirmity. Outnumbered, and with limited artillery and ammunition, even the bravest defenders rarely rebuffed an . . . — Map (db m79526) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Site of Charlestown Wharf
Stone wharf and warehouse were built here by Decree of General Assembly in 1744. Remains of wharf can be seen. Officer’s chests left behind by two Companies of Royal American Regiment quartered in winter of 1756-1757 were auctioned by town . . . — Map (db m1688) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Charlestown — Susquehanna Manor(New Connaught Manor)
32000 acres granted to George Talbot with Right of Court Baron and Court Leet, June 11, 1680. — Map (db m1748) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — “Bohemia Mannor”
Granted 1662 as 4000 acres in the “farr remote, then unknown wilderness” to Augustine Herman, native of Bohemia, for “making a mapp of this province” regranted 1663 as 6000 acres erected a manor in 1676. Not open to the . . . — Map (db m7672) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — “Labadie Tract”Comprising 3750 Acres
Obtained in 1684 from Augustine Herman by the religious sect called Labadists. Here they led an austere form of communistic life but disintegrated about 1698. — Map (db m1566) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — A Historic Hub of Commerce
“Formerly known as the “Village of Bohemia,” Chesapeake City owes its existence to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. From the time work began on the canal in 1824, the village became a hub of activity and a thriving port, . . . — Map (db m69824) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B104 — Brady-Rees HouseC. 1870
This house is the best representation of a Victorian Gothic style home in town. It is 5 bays wide with a beautifully etched transom light adorning the front entrance. Henry Brady owned the mule teams that pulled the barges through the canal. Being . . . — Map (db m33589) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — C & D Canal
Built 1824–1829 this former 13–5/8 mile long lock canal connected the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, nearby Chesapeake City was the canal’s western terminus and steadily grew in the mid to late 19th century serving canal traffic. — Map (db m1563) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — C&D Canal Museum
(Side one) This is the liftwheel pumping plant of the original Chesapeake & Delaware canal. From 1837 to 1927 its engines provided water for navigation between Chesapeake City, Maryland and Delaware City, Delaware. The canal was purchased in . . . — Map (db m69825) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B206 — Capt. Colmary-Salmon HouseC. 1848
This home is architecturally important as it is one of two mid 19th century dwellings with Greek Revival overtones. These buildings being two rooms deep were pace setters for other buildings in town. Captain Abraham Colmary built this house in 1848 . . . — Map (db m33578) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Tablet
This tablet is erected by the proprietors of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, to commemorate its completion on the 17th of October 1829; and to stand as a testimonial of their gratitude to James C. Fisher, President, and Thomas P. Cope, John K. . . . — Map (db m69827) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B19 — Cropper HouseC. 1833
Over the years this building has served many purposes. Originally the building was the home of captain Kendall Cropper in 1833 who, along with his three brothers, were instrumental in founding the town. Dr. Thomas Conrey was another early owner of . . . — Map (db m33559) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B204 — Dr. Smither's HouseC. 1848
Built by Firman Layman, this house is a prime example of original details from the late 1840's when the Greek Revival architecture was in vogue. Waitman Smithers, the toll collector and later superintendent of the C&D Canal, purchased the house in . . . — Map (db m33579) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B98 — Franklin HallC. 1870
In Revolutionary times this site was occupied by the very popular Chick's Tavern, one of 2 buildings in Bohemia Village. In the 1800's the property was obtained by Thomas Conrey who constructed this Romanesque style building C. 1870 using locally . . . — Map (db m33590) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — From Creek to Canal
Would you believe that the impressive stretch of water before you was once a creek? As early as the 17th century, settlers to the New World realized that the nation’s growth would depend upon transportation of goods by land and water. . . . — Map (db m69815) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — C220 — Gassaway HouseC. 1860
The original lease for this property dated October 4, 1856 given to Henry Robinson. Robert & Evelyn Gassaway resided in and owned the property in the 1970's. Mr. Gassaway became the first African American mayor elected to that office by 80 percent . . . — Map (db m33565) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G406 — Jennie Whiteoak HouseC. 1864
This home is recognized for having the "Dunnage" or scrap wood that was removed from passing ships and used as siding. Also called the Reeves House as Pop Reeve's lived here from 1951 to 1985. A complete restoration in the early 1990's brought this . . . — Map (db m33570) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B224 — Karsner-Wilsey House/OfficeC. 1884
Like it's neighbors this house is 3 story, 3 bay frame dwelling with a rear wing. Standing on a stone foundation, it is covered with weather-boards. Dr. William C. Karsner built this home c. 1884. He served the people of Chesapeake City and the . . . — Map (db m33574) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G111 — Kinter-Metz House1854
Thomas Conrey probably had this house built around 1854 with lumber from his mill. In 1876 it came into the possession of Jacob Metz and his wife, Sarah. Mr. Metz was a blacksmith with a business on the corner of Front Street and William Street. . . . — Map (db m33563) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Long Bridge
A section of this fence was originally a railing on both sides of the "Long Bridge". this steel bridge, pictured here in 1906 was a center-pivot span operated manually with a large crank. It connected City Dock (now Pell Gardens) to the Causeway . . . — Map (db m33591) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G400 — McReynolds-Woods HouseC. 1870
This home was occupied by several notable people over the years. The bridge tender for the long bridge, Mr. Hevelow, used the railing from the bridge to fence in the yard. Capt. Ed Sheridan operated the ferry which would transverse the canal, until . . . — Map (db m33569) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B109 — National Bank of Chesapeake CityC. 1903
The National Bank of Chesapeake City was built in 1903 by the John Banks family. The exterior is Port Deposit granite and the interior still houses the original bank vault and tin ceilings. This massive granite building is two bays wide and three . . . — Map (db m33582) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Pell Gardens1982
Pell Gardens was dedicated in October of 1982 to honor Dr. Walden Pell who with his wife Edith were instrumental in the early restoration of town buildings and establishing the Civic Association, both in the 1970s. Dr. Pell was headmaster of St. . . . — Map (db m33592) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B208 — Sarah Beaston HouseC. 1848
Sarah Beaston was a prominent business person in Chesapeake city (Bohemia Village) in the early 1800's. she had this house built circa 1848 as her retirement home. Previously, she owned and operated the Bayard House, having sold it to Richard Bayard . . . — Map (db m33576) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G-221 — Savin-Conrey House 1848
This building has been greatly altered since it was constructed. It maintains the continuity of the closely-built dwellings along George Street. This is another of the houses built by Thomas Conrey using the products of his mill on the causeway. In . . . — Map (db m73780) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — F401 — Shipwatch InnC. 1930
This waterfront property was originally built as a private residence in 1920 for Captain Firman Layman, proprietor of the Bayard House Restaurant. The property housed a stable, barber shop and apartments until 1996 when it was renovated and restored . . . — Map (db m33561) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — St. Augustine School
Still visible close by is the 20-foot square pre-1850 stone foundation for an historic school house. Rebuilt in 1880 at a cost of $488, this one room school was typical of those found in rural 19th century Cecil County. The Maryland State Teachers . . . — Map (db m9663) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — St. Augustine’s Church
First called “Mannour Chappel” a chapel of ease of North Sassafras Parish. Established in Bohemia Manor in compliance with an act of the Maryland Assembly, 1692. Erected as a separate parish in 1744. — Map (db m1565) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G301 — Steele-Davis HouseC. 1872
This Federal-Italianate home was originally a two story school house and Odd Fellows lodge. In 1872, the three story front section was built by Joseph Hedrick, the official of the C&D Canal. In 1879, Mr. Hedrick was caught using canal funds to . . . — Map (db m36720) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G327 — Stubbs-Caldwell HouseC. 1874
Built by Richard B. stubbs, this is one of the few buildings which have gables attached to the facade, giving it a Victorian Gothic element. The one story angled porch follows the configuration of the facade and bay window, creating a semi-octagonal . . . — Map (db m33571) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B11 — The Bayard Housec. 1780
The building is considered to be the oldest building in Chesapeake City. Charles and Sarah Beaston purchased Bayard House in 1809 and opened as a tavern and inn in 1829. The tavern was run by Firman Layman until his death in 1881. In 1911, it was . . . — Map (db m51000) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G224 — The Whiteoak HouseC. 1840
Architecturally the Whiteoak House is representative of vernacular buildings constructed in Chesapeake City in the 1840's and 50's. Old timers in Chesapeake City claim this house rests on the 1st lot sold in town. In 1854, Richard Bayard leased the . . . — Map (db m33572) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B108 — Town HallC. 1914
Ralph Rees built this commercial building to house his hardware store around 1914. Like many early twentieth century commercial front buildings, only the pressed tin facade raises two stories. This building housed Rees hardware store and an agency . . . — Map (db m33588) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — World War I Monument
This tablet is dedicated by the people of Chesapeake City and the Second Election District of Cecil County, Maryland To those of their number who offered their lives in defense of humanity in the Great War of Nations 1914 - 1918 Roll of Honor Lest . . . — Map (db m33585) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — World War II Monument
In grateful tribute to the men and women of the Second district who served in World War II Glory to them that died in this great cause Basalyga, Walter • Bailey, Harry • Cahall, William K. • Fithian, Albert • Gilbert, Robert • Heverin, Willard P. . . . — Map (db m33567) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Colora — This Tablet is in Commemoration
This Tablet is in Commemoration of Richard Stockton and Dr. Benjamin Rush signers of the Declaration of Independence and students of West Nottingham Academy. Stockton from 1743 to 1748 - Rush from 1751 to 1756. — Map (db m1762) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Colora — West Nottingham Academy
Founded 1744 by by Samuel Finley, Presbyterian Minister and a native of County Armagh, Ireland. He remained in charge of the academy and church until 1761 when he was chosen President of the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University. — Map (db m1761) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Colora — West Nottingham Academy
Founded 1744 by by Rev. Sam’l Finley a Presbyterian Minister and a native of Armaugh County, Ireland. He remained in charge of the academy and church until 1761 when he was chosen President of the College of New Jersey, now called . . . — Map (db m1807) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — A Susquehannock Indian Fort
A Susquehannock Indian fort located at this point was an important factor in the boundary line controversy between Lord Baltimore and William Penn in 1683. — Map (db m1804) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — Bald Friar Ford & Ferry
Near Pilot, two and one-half miles northwest of this point, lies the site of a Susquehanna fording used by Indians before the coming of the white man. By 1695, a barge provided ferry service to the colonists. The Conowingo Lake now covers the . . . — Map (db m1806) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — Richards Oak
General Lafayette and his army camped arount this tree April 12, 1781. A Civil War cavalry unit later occupied the site. The oak, over 500 years old was owned by the Thomas Richards family for over a century. A huge limb fell August 1964, splitting . . . — Map (db m1758) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal
The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road. — Map (db m1801) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — BohemiaFormerly Milligan Hall
Home of George Milligan (1720–1783), Scotch trader, purchased from his son, Robert, by Louis McLane (1784–1857) who represented Delaware in the United States House and Senate, was Minister to Great Britain, Secretary of the Treasury, . . . — Map (db m1568) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Cherry Grove
Ancestral home of the DeVeazie (Veazey) family; patented to John Veazey circa 1670. His descendant, Colonel Thomas Ward Veazey defended Duffy’s Fort, Fredericktown, from the British fleet May 5, 1813, and served as Governor of Maryland, . . . — Map (db m1705) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Essex Lodge
Granted to Samuel Brocus, whose daughter Susannah married, circa 1700, Edward Veazey. Their son, Colonel John Veazey, Sr., was Chief Military Officer of Cecil County and a Justice and Judge for 22 years. His eldest son, Edward, was High Sheriff of . . . — Map (db m1703) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Hazelmore
Land originally granted to Phillip Calvert, Chancellor of Maryland, and wife, Anne, in 1658. Richard Low, gentleman of Virginia, purchased tract known as "Hazelmore" and adjacent land "The Grove" in 1665. Bought by Abraham Wild, trader and mariner . . . — Map (db m19448) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon PlantationTobacco Prize House and Wharf
Originally owned by Godfrey Harmon, then by James Paul Heath; subsequent to 1760 the home of James Louttit, Sr. and Jr., and Sidney George, Jr., Patriots. Vestrymen on St. Stephen’s Church, and contributors, 1782, to the original endowment of . . . — Map (db m1698) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World’s EndHistoric Tidewater Plantation & Nature Preserve
Welcome to Mount Harmon Plantation, one of Maryland’s premier historic sites. Comprising 200-acres of pristine open space, Mount Harmon features a restored 18th century manor house and plantation kitchen, a formal boxwood garden, a rare tobacco . . . — Map (db m90700) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World's End
Mount Harmon Plantation at World's End. A National Trust Historic House. The gift of Mrs. Harry Clark Boden IV in memory of James Louttit Sr. and his wife, Mary George who acquired the property in 1760 — Map (db m80616) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World's EndHistoric Tidewater Plantation & Nature Preserve
Welcome to Mount Harmon Plantation, one of Maryland's premier historic sites. Comprising 200-acres of pristine open space, Mount Harmon features a restored 18th century manor house and plantation kitchen, a formal boxwood garden, a rare tobacco . . . — Map (db m80617) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Pleasant
Built by Dr. John Thompson Veasey, 1825, “of Mount Harmon” as he was known, who, with Colonel Thomas Ward Veasey assisted in the defense of Duffy’s Fort, 1813. He was a greatnephew of George Ross, signer of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m1699) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — North Sassafras Parish(Episcopal)
Established by Act of Assembly in 1692. The first vestry met January 10, 1693 in the Court House at Ordinary Point. The Parish Church was “dedicated to the honor of Saint Stephen”, March 25, 1706. Rebuilt 1737, 1823 and 1873. — Map (db m1701) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Plantation Life in the Colonial EraMount Harmon Plantation
Plantation Life In the colonial era Mount Harmon was a working plantation. A community of people lived at Mount Harmon during the 18th century including the landowners, indentured servants, slaves, and tradespeople. Inventories from the Heath . . . — Map (db m90702) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Rose Hill
Home of General Thomas Marsh Forman (1758–1845), Aide to General William Alexander, known as Lord Stirling, and a representative in the General Assembly, 1790 and 1800. He served with Major George Armistead, Fort McHenry, 1814. A later owner, . . . — Map (db m1697) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — St. Francis Xavier Church“Old Bohemia”
→ 2 Miles → Founded 1704 by Rev. Thomas Mansell, S.J., one of the earliest permanent Catholic establishments in the English Colonies. Bohemia Academy Founded 1745 by Rev. Thomas Pulton, S.J. attended by Charles Carroll of . . . — Map (db m1572) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — St. Peters Episcopal Church BellFrom Cecilton Chapel Belfry
This Bell hung in the Cecilton Chapel belfry for many years. During the winter months it was rung each Sunday morning at service time. When the warm weather returned, services resumed here. With the demolition of the Chapel, the bell was stored . . . — Map (db m68037) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Anchorage
Home of the Lusbys in the early 1700’s. Ruth Lusby and Commodore Jacob Jones married in 1821. Made the Anchorage their home and enlarged it in 1835. Jones served on the “Philadelphia” when it ran aground at Tripoli and commanded the . . . — Map (db m1567) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Sassafras RiverGateway to the Chesapeake Bay
About the Sassafras River The Sassafras River is a popular destination for recreation, boating, fishing and waterfowl. The Sassafras River is over 20 miles long and provides critical habitat wildlife and is an important flyway for migrating . . . — Map (db m90723) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Tobacco and Mount Harmon
Colonial Tobacco Trade Before you stands a crop of tobacco planted to reflect the historic tobacco trade that flourished at Mount Harmon in the colonial era. Tobacco was an important cash crop that helped build early American settlements, and . . . — Map (db m90697) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — WoodlawnFormerly "Neighbour’s Grudge"
The 305 acre farm of William Ward. He gave a tract called “North Levell” on which stands St. Stephen’s Church. His descendant, Henry Veazey Ward, was Consul General for the Republic of Chile. Another, Juliana Veazey Ward, married Dr. . . . — Map (db m1696) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — "O! say can you see..."Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of . . . — Map (db m73839) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — “New Munster”
A tract of 6,000 acres laid out in 1683 by George Talbot (then surveyor-general of Maryland for Edwin O’Dwire and 15 other Irishmen. Its northern boundary extended into what is now the State of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m1763) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — “Partridge Hill”Built c. 1760
Home of Henry Hollingsworth, merchant, legislator and colonel of Elk Battalion of Militia in Revolutionary Way as Commissary for the Eastern Shore. He obtained supplies for the Americans and French allies embarking near here in 1781 on voyage down . . . — Map (db m1473) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Blue Ball Tavern
Established about 1710 on Lot No. 35 of “The Nottingham Lots” by Andrew Job who secured it from William Penn. Job’s son, Thomas married Elizabeth Maxwell, niece of Daniel Defoe who wrote “Robinson Crusoe.” — Map (db m1765) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Cecil County Doughboy Monument
This monument is erected by the people of Cecil County in grateful recognition of the services of the men and women of this county who, on land or at sea served their country in the Great World War - 1914 - 1918 - and in especial remembrance of the . . . — Map (db m3569) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Creswell Hall
The home of John A. J. Creswell who nominated James Buchanan for President in 1856 and turned Republican in 1861. He was successively Assistant-Adjutant General of Maryland, member of the House of Representatives, Senator and Postmaster by . . . — Map (db m1773) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — ElktonOriginally called “Head of Elk”
Lafayette embarked his troops March 8, 1781 to capture Benedict Arnold. Returned April 9, began overland march to Virginia April 12, 1781. Washington and Rochambeau with their combined forces stopped Sept. 6-7, 1781 on way to Yorktown. — Map (db m1474) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Elkton, Wedding Capital of the East
In the early 20th century, Maryland had no waiting period for issuing marriage licenses, and couples from throughout the Northeast flocked to Elkton—the first county seat south of the State line—where they could be married without delay. . . . — Map (db m1935) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Fighting BackStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
British raiders traveled along rivers to Upper Bay towns in 1813. Elkton, at the head of Elk River, expected to be a target, because it could be a landing site for an advance on Philadelphia. Citizens of Elkton built three earthen forts and placed . . . — Map (db m73837) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Frenchtown
Frenchtown, one mile west of this marker, was an important link in the north-south travel route during the 18th and 19th centuries. As a depot, it was burned by the British under Admiral Cockburn on April 29, 1813. — Map (db m1526) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Hollingsworth House
About 1750 Zebulon Hollingsworth built the approximately 30 x 30 foot left hand section as a brick two story dwelling. In the mid-1800s it was gutted by fire and rebuilt as three stories with a low pitched roof. Also the two story right hand side . . . — Map (db m69814) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Holly Hall
Built c. 1810–1820 by James Sewall. He was Clerk of Cecil County Court 1805–1841; Brigade Major of Maryland Militia and a Commander at nearby Fort Defiance in War of 1812; one of founders of Trinity Episcopal Church, Elkton in 1832. — Map (db m1478) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Mitchell House
Built in 1769 as the home of Dr. Abraham Mitchell, noted physician. During the Revolutionary War he converted the house into a hospital for the use of wounded soldiers of the Continental Army. General Lafayette was a friend of the Mitchell family . . . — Map (db m877) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad1832–1853
One of the earliest in the United States, the line ran from New Castle on the Delaware River, crossed the highway here, and extended to Frenchtown on the Elk River 1 1/2 miles west of this point. — Map (db m1564) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Old Post RoadEstablished 1666
Where it crosses the Mason and Dixon Line, dividing the States of Maryland and Delaware. Run 1763–1767. — Map (db m1645) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Rock Presbyterian Church
Founded 1720 in North Milford Hundred, Cecil County, Maryland. First called New Erection on the Branches of Elk River, then Elk River Church, Great Elk, upper Elk and, since 1793, Rock. Present church erected 1761 remodeled in 1844 and 1900. — Map (db m1764) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Site of Fort Defiance
About one eighth mile south east on Elk River, American forces here and at Fort Hollingsworth (Elk Landing) repulsed the British under Admiral Cockburn in their attempt to capture Elkton, April 29, 1813. — Map (db m1644) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Site of Fort Hollingsworth
About three tenths mile south at Elk Landing, American forces here and at Fort Defiance, about one mile below on Elk River, repulsed the British under Admiral Cockburn in their attempt to capture Elkton, April 29, 1813. — Map (db m2228) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Spirited RebuffStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
The British took their terror campaign to the Elk River in April 1813. Their target—Elkton—was protected by several forts.

After capturing a gun battery at Frenchtown, British raiders destroyed its storehouses, a fishery, and . . . — Map (db m80363) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — The Hermitage
Part of Friendship Tract and home of Robert Alexander, delegate to the Provincial Convention of 1774 and to the Continental Convention of 1776. On August 25, 1777, he was host to Washington here and three days later offered allegiance to British . . . — Map (db m1475) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — War in the ChesapeakeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
During the War of 1812 the young United States was embroiled in conflict with Great Britain. From 1812 to 1815 Americans fought to protect their rights and economic independence. They faced superior enemy forces on the homefront and the high . . . — Map (db m73838) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Wilna
Boyhood home of William Whann Mackall. Appointed to the U. S. Military Academy in 1834, resigned from the U. S. Army. Joined the confederacy and served on the staffs of Generals Albert Sydney Johnson, Braxton Bragg and Joseph E. Johnston. General . . . — Map (db m1735) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Frederickstown — Fort Duffy
Erected to honor the heroism of the men who so bravely defended Fort Duffy and Fredericktown against the British Fleet May 5, 1813 Colonel Thomas Ward Veazey, commanding Samuel Wroth, D.F. Heath; Moses Cannon; Nicholas Franks; John W. . . . — Map (db m62347) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Fredericktown — Sassafras River
Discovered and explored by Capt. John Smith 1607–1609 who named it Tockwough River after the tribe of Indians who inhabited its banks. Tockwough was the original Indian name for Sassafras, a root from which they made a form of bread. — Map (db m1695) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Bird’s Eye ViewStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
From Bulls (or Bull) Mountain, American militia had a commanding view of Elk Neck peninsula. The observed the Upper Chesapeake Bay and North East River to the north and west, and Elk River to the south and east.

As enemy ships approached on . . . — Map (db m80362) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Gilpin’s Falls Covered Bridge
Built circa 1860, the bridge is one of the few covered ones left in Maryland and the only one on public ground in Cecil County. The area to the East has been the site of several mills, the earliest Samuel Gilpin’s flour mill circa 1735. • Bridge . . . — Map (db m1692) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Maryland Women in Military Service Monument
Obverse Honoring women from the State of Maryland, past and present, who have served our nation honorably and proudly, in war and peace. Reverse Notable Accomplishments of Women in Military Service Although women have . . . — Map (db m82028) HM WM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — North East
George Talbot of Susquehanna Manor renamed North East River, “The River Shannon.” The iron forges of the Principio Company were located here. Saint Mary Ann’s Parish Church is one of the oldest in Cecil County. Russell, one of the owners . . . — Map (db m1690) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Overlook of General Howe’s Landing
On August 25, 1777, after a month’s voyage from New York, 15,000 British troops led by Sir William Howe disembarked on the shores of the Elk River approximately 2 miles east of this site. The fleet of 300 vessels which had transported them was under . . . — Map (db m1693) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Sentinel on the Bay
The Turkey Point Lighthouse stands proudly on a 100-foot bluff looking south over the Chesapeake Bay. Built in 1833, the lighthouse pointed the way to safe waters for nearly 175 years. It played a vital part in protecting the lives and livelihoods . . . — Map (db m80360) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — St. Mary Anne’s ChurchNorth Elk Parish – 1706
The building, erected 1742, is one of the oldest in Cecil County. The cornerstone bears the initials of the Rector and Vestrymen at that time. Communion vessels, a bible and a book of common prayer presented 1718 by Queen Anne of England still are . . . — Map (db m1691) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Why Build a Lighthouse?
What does a lighthouse mean to you? For some, a lighthouse stands for security, providing safe passage home from a treacherous journey. For others, a lighthouse harkens back to a simpler time, before modern technology altered our connection with the . . . — Map (db m80357) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — BrooklandLand Grant by Lord Baltimore, 1732
To present log wing, believed built in 1735, George Gale added fieldstone section c. 1781. Further additions to house were made in 19th century. Gale, born in Somerset County in 1756, served in Continental Army during Revolutionary War. Was member . . . — Map (db m1648) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Count de Rochambeau’s Troops
Crossed the Susquehanna River in five divisions and made their 23rd camp here at the end of August 1782 on the return from Yorktown victory to the north. — Map (db m1647) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Old Post Road: Lower Susquehanna Ferry
Old Post Road established 1666. Lower Susquehanna Ferry established 1695. Rodgers’ Tavern where George Washington frequently stopped between 1781–1798. — Map (db m1482) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — PerryvilleOne Week After the War Began
On April 18-19, 1861, a week after the bombardment of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, Confederate sympathizers attacked U.S. Army forces en route to Washington in Baltimore, 35 miles southwest of here. On the second day shots were fired and soldiers . . . — Map (db m1484) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Rodgers Tavern
. . . — Map (db m69167) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — Striking a BlowStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
After burning much of Havre de Grace May 3, 1813, British raiders crossed the Susquehanna to Cecil County. At Principio Iron Works they captured a five-gun battery and destroyed the foundry complex and the bridge across Principio Creek. More than 40 . . . — Map (db m73790) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Perryville — The Principio Company
A leading iron producer during the Colonial period, Principio held Maryland’s first blast furnace, operating 1725, and first refinery forge, constructed 1728. After the American Revolution, Principio made cannons and other ordnance until the British . . . — Map (db m1481) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — “O! say can you see…”Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail traces the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake. Along the trail you'll encounter tangible evidence of the war and stories that bring the people and events to life. Discover the far-reaching impacts of the . . . — Map (db m81475) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Adams Hall
Adams Hall erected 1900 as the gymnasium of the Senior School for Girls of the The Jacob Tome Institute. In 1983 it became the Town Hall of the town of Port Deposit. — Map (db m64911) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Bainbridge Naval Training Center
Dedicated To The Men of Bainbridge Naval Training Center Who Learned Their Seamanship Upon the Waters of The Susquehanna. Partners in The Victory of WWII — Map (db m64914) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Cummings Tavern
Count de Rochambeau’s heavy artillery and baggage train camped here September 9, 1781 before fording the Susquehanna at Bald Friar and proceeding to join the main army on the Philadelphia Road. — Map (db m1766) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Explore the ChesapeakeCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
Explore the landscapes of the early 1600s along the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail. Learn about the thriving American Indian communities John Smith encountered and imagine the bountiful Chesapeake he observed. Experience the . . . — Map (db m81476) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Flight 605
In memory of the passengers and crew that perished near here on Eastern Airlines Flight 605 May 30, 1947 — Map (db m49135) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Gerry House
Built 1813, probably by Daniel Megredy. Lafayette was entertained here in 1824. Later owned by Cornelius Smith (1792–1858), farmer and philanthropist who financed road construction to create jobs for the unemployed and aided public education . . . — Map (db m1771) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — John A. J. Creswell
Born at this house at Creswell’s Ferry, now Port Deposit, in 1828, John Creswell graduated from Dickinson College and became a lawyer. He was elected to the General Assembly in 1861, became Adjutant General in 1862, was elected to Congress that same . . . — Map (db m1772) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Naval Training Center Bainbridge, MD1942-1976
In Tribute to the Men and Women Who Passed Through Her Gates To Answer Their Country’s Call. Proudly Presented by the USNTC Bainbridge Association — Map (db m64913) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — On AlertStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Port Deposit, then called Creswell’s Ferry, was on high alert May 3, 1813. Smoke rising from towns across the river meant British raiders might strike here.

Port Deposit was spared, perhaps due to its well-defended battery. Or, as legend claims, . . . — Map (db m80347) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Rock Run MillBuilt circa 1725
Owned by John Steel, this grist mill was in successful operation as early as 1731. At the same period a ferry was operated about one-half mile downstream at a crossing known as Upper Ferry. — Map (db m1768) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Site of Chapel-of-Ease
To St. Mary Anne’s Church, North Elk Parish, North East, Maryland. Built in 1733, the oldest remaining gravestone in 1968 records the death of Thomas Shepherd, August 28, 1742. — Map (db m92330) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Site of Woodlawn Camp Meeting
Established by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1871, the camp was a popular center of religious and social life. Political candidates and vacationers attended the two-week meetings in August. Its forty-two year era ended in 1913. — Map (db m24111) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Smith’s Falls
In 1608 Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River until stopped by the rocks. On his map he calls this point “Smyths Fales” marking it by a X which he explains as meaning “hath bin discovered what beyond is by . . . — Map (db m1802) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Snow’s Battery
On August 30, 1861 Battery B of the Union Army under the command of Capt. Alonzo Snow was organized at Port Deposit, composed mainly of men from this town and vicinity. The Battery rendered important service to the Federal forces in the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m1769) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — U. S. NTC Bainbridge
This monument is dedicated to shipmates of the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard assigned to the U. S. Naval Training Center from 1942 to 1975. — Map (db m21063) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those Men and Women of this Community who served our Country in times of Peace and War. Donated to the People of Port Deposit MD by V.F.W. Post 8185 — Map (db m64912) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Washington Hall
Directly across the street stood Washington Hall. The Institute's first building erected 1894 by Jacob Tome (1810-1898) founder and benefactor of The Tome School — Map (db m25581) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Rising Sun — In Memory of the Unknown Soldiers
In memory of the Unknown Soldiers buried at Brick Meetinghouse while it was used as a hospital in 1778. — Map (db m1789) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Rising Sun — The Nottingham Lots
37 lots of approximately 500 acres each given by William Penn to his colonists in 1702 although they lay in Maryland and were part of George Talbot’s “Susquehanna Manor” of 32,000 acres granted him in 1680 by Lord Baltimore. — Map (db m1760) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — “Worsell Mannor”1000 Acres
Patented 5th June, 1685, to Major Peter Sayer, a prominent Catholic. Later acquired by the Heath Family. On 14th May, 1773, George Washington “din’d and lodg’d at Mr. DL. Heath’s” taking his stepson Jackie Custis to King’s College, N.Y. . . . — Map (db m65392) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — Colonists' Wrought Iron CrossSt Francis Xavier Church
This replica of the Maryland Colonists’ Wrought Iron Cross of 1634 stands directly over the south foundation wall of the original house-chapel-academy building (circa 1720-1745) — Map (db m69828) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — George Washington
Visited Warwick Feby, 1756, March 1756. “Din’d and lodg’d at Mr. D’L Heath’s May 1773. Passed through Sept, 9 and Oct. 28, 1774. Breakfasted March 23, 1791 and again in September 1793.” — Map (db m1575) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — James Rumsey
The inventor of the steam boat was born 1743 two miles north of this point in “Middle Neck”. George Washington showed much interest in Rumsey’s experiments and made him superintendent of “The Potomac Company.” — Map (db m1574) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — St. Francis Xavier Church“Old Bohemia”
→ 2 Miles → Founded 1704 by Rev. Thomas Mansell, S.J., one of the earliest permanent Catholic establishments in the English Colonies. Bohemia Academy Founded 1745 by Rev. Thomas Pulton, S.J. attended by Charles Carroll of . . . — Map (db m1573) HM

131 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.