HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Chambers County Markers
Alabama (Chambers County), Cusseta — Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Pat Garrett, "The Man Who Shot Billy the Kid"
Side 1 Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid As sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was charged with tracking down and arresting Billy the Kid, a friend from Garrett's saloon keeping days in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. He was captured in December 1880 and was subsequently convicted of murder. However Billy the Kid escaped from jail on April 18, 1881. Garrett tracked him to Fort Sumner on July 14 where he was shot and killed. In 1889 Garrett moved to Uvalde, Texas where he was . . . — Map (db m71645) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — Chambers County
Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington. County government organized 1833 by Judge James Thompson of Jefferson County. First officers were: Nathaniel Greer, Sheriff; William House, Clk. Cir. Ct.; Joseph J. Williams, Clk. Co. Ct.; Booker Lawson, John Wood, William Fannin, John A. Hurst, . . . — Map (db m18162) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — Chambers County War Memorial
In memory of Chambers Co. veterans who gave their lives in following wars: World War I [west face] (list of names) World War II [east and south faces](list of names) Korean and Vietnam Conflicts [north face] (lists of names) Map (db m18163) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lafayette — Lafayette Cemetery Chambers County
Lafayette Cemetery, also known as Westview, began in 1934 with the death of Miss Sarah Gipson. Many early pioneers and veterans of East Alabama are buried here including Revolutionary War Patriot Capt. Alexander Dunn, Col. Charles McLemore, Confederate soldier Elliott H. Muse, Senator Thomas Heflin, and Edmonia, a servant to the Allen family. The pavilion was constructed in 1903 in the oldest section of the cemetery for the Confederate Memorial Day programs. The Owen K. McLemore Chapter of the . . . — Map (db m71642) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lafayette — Muscogee Indians
Called Creeks Indian villages nearby were affiliated with either Upper or Lower Confederacies of the Creek Nation. In colonial times Spain, France and England contended for this section. Indian title ceded in 1832. — Map (db m71639) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lafayette — The Lafayette Presbyterian Church Organized 1835
This structure was built by early settlers from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and subsequently modified. The original building has stood since 1836. Union Sunday School began here in 1891. Many eminent ministers have filled the pulpit. — Map (db m71641) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lanett — 141-10 — Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee
A flourishing, ancient town of the Muscogee Indians known as Ocfuskooche Tallahassee (Old Town) stood on this site. English traders from Charles Town visited it about 1685. A trail known as "Old Horse Path" led from this village to the Tallapoosa. Ocfuskooche is known to have existed through Colonial and Revolutionary times but, soon after 1790, the town was abandoned and its inhabitants moved westward to settle on the Tallapoosa River. The westward surge of settlers and bitter frontier fighting forced the move. — Map (db m36315) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lanett — Providence Baptist Church Chambers County, Alabama
Side 1 Providence Baptist Church was organized before 1836 by Elder Francis Calloway. It was one on the ten charter churches of the East Liberty Baptist Association. The small white frame church was built during the ministry of Reverend George E. Brewer, who served Providence 1883-1889. It has served some of the best known families in all this section including the: Askews, Harringtons, Wolfes, Calloways, Barrows, Meadors, Slaughters, Shealeys, Wallaces, Lancasters, Burdetts, . . . — Map (db m71640) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Armed Forces Tribute
A Tribute to the men of our community who have served in the Armed Forces for our country Lest We Forget — Map (db m71652) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax First Christian Church
Side 1 Built 1916 by West Point Manufacturing Company and called Fairfax “Union” Church as it was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, and Baptist groups. It was purchased by the Disciples of Christ after the others left to build their own churches and renamed Fairfax First Christian Church. White clapboard exterior built in shape of cross. Windows-hammered glass in shape of Moses' tablets. Original features in use: pews designed to match windows, windows, pulpit, . . . — Map (db m71636) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax Kindergarten
Built in 1916, the kindergarten was one of five original public buildings in the Fairfax Mill Village. Each mill village had an efficient, attractive, and well kept kindergarten for children ages four to six. LaFayette Lanier, Sr. was the inspiration for the kindergarten system that was put into operation. In his newsletter of July 16, 1917, William Teagin, Alabama Superintendent of Education, commended West Point Manufacturing Company for its commitment to education. The kindergarten was in operation until 1983 and is now privately owned. — Map (db m71634) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Langdale Veterans Memorial
In Honor of All Langdale Veterans World War II To those who gave the ultimate sacrifice — Map (db m71654) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Lanier High School
Side 1 The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. In 1921, George H. Lanier provided funds to annex high school space. It became a part of Lanett City Schools, and the name changed to Lanier High. Lanier High was accredited in 1935 and six students constituted the first graduating class. The Darden . . . — Map (db m71638) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — West Point Manufacturing Company
Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of Chambers County, Ala., and West Point, Ga., invested the capital for these ventures, providing a new way of life to a war stricken people. In 1880, West Point Manufacturing Company was organized from the Chattahoochee mill. The business genius, . . . — Map (db m71637) HM
14 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 133 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.