HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Charles City County Markers
Virginia (Charles City County), Charle City — V 35 — Kennon's Landing
Located 1 ½ miles south of the James River is Kennon's Landing. Richard Kennon married Anne Hunt about 1735 and lived there until his death in 1761. Anne Hunt's father was Captain William Hunt whose father William Hunt, a supported of Nathaniel Bacon, is buried directly across the bay at Bachelor Point. The colonial government of Virginia opened a tobacco warehouse and inspection station at the landing in 1742. Hogsheads of tobacco were weighed, inspected for quality, and stored for . . . — Map (db m9522) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — America’s 3rd Oldest Courthouse
This courthouse has been used continuously for judicial purposes for more than 250 years — only two other courthouses in the entire country have a longer history. Built in 1757, almost 20 years before the beginning of the Revolutionary War, the original T-shaped structure was entered on the north side through an arcade fronted with five arches which are now windows. Following the Civil War the arcade was bricked in to provide more space, and the entrance was moved to the south. The . . . — Map (db m17766) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — BarnettsCharles City County, Virginia
This community acquired its name from the Barnett family and was once a major commercial center for the western end of the county. The area has been served by the post offices of Bradley's Store (1879-1911) and Barnett's (est. 1911). At the time of the Civil War, the area east of Bradley's Store was known as Freetown. Landmarks have included Salem Methodist Church (1810-1948), Gillfield Baptist Church (est. 1884), two blacksmith shops, a stave saw mill, the one-room Barnetts and Waterloo . . . — Map (db m29154) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 7 — Berkeley and Harrison's Landing
A short distance south. The place was first settled in 1619 but was abandoned. It was repatented in 1636. Benjamin Harrison, signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived here; his son, William Henry Harrison, President of the United States, was born here, 1773. In July-August, 1862, General McClellan had his headquarters at Berkeley while the Army of the Potomac was here. — Map (db m30225) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 7 — Berkeley Plantation or Harrison's Landing
A short distance south, it was first settled in 1619, when the first Thanksgiving was held here. The present mansion, built in 1726, was the birthplace of Benjamin Harrison, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and President William Henry Harrison. During July and August, 1862, it was the headquarters of General McClellan. The bugle call "Taps" was composed here then by General Butterfield. — Map (db m9284) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Binns HallCharles City County, Virginia
This community was named for the structure which housed the post office and dance hall, built in 1886 by O.P. Binns at the terminus of an old road that led to the Chickahominy River farms Cedar Forest, Cyprus Banks, the home of the Stubblefield family, and Mattahunk, an early seat of the Duke family. The road also led to a gristmill and tobacco warehouses. Landmarks of Binns Hall have included Liberty Baptist Church (est. 1869), Gill's Store, Piney Grove Store, the Order of St. Luke’s Hall and . . . — Map (db m18593) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Blanks CrossroadsCharles City County, Virginia
This intersection of the Old Main Road, or Ridgepath, and the road from Soanes Bridge to Kennons, derives its name from an eighteenth-century tavern owned by the Blanks family. Blanks Tavern was one of a few licensed ordinaries in colonial Charles City County. Other landmarks have included an Oldfield school, Manoah Baptist Church (1848 - 1933) and the first Methodist Meeting House (est. 1791), also known as Charles City Chapel. Prominent area homes have included Ballardsville and Sunnyside, . . . — Map (db m17575) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V-11 — Charles City C. H.
In 1702 Charles City County, which then included both sides of James River, was divided; the courthouse here was built about 1730. Here Simcoe's British Cavalry surprised a party of militia, January 8, 1781. Here Grant's Army passed on its way to the River June, 1864. — Map (db m9557) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Chickahominy Water Trail
(left panel) Sustaining a Credible Illusion The Jamestown settlement was facing a severe food shortage in November of 1607. Captain John Smith set out to trade for corn with the Indians living along this river. He traveled from one town to another, accepting some offers of trade and rejecting others “lest they should perceive [his] too great want.” Trading was especially heavy at a town near here called Mamanahunt. Smith described the town as the center of . . . — Map (db m46511) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Dedicated To LearningRuthville High School
Schools were precious to a community denied education for centuries. Following the Civil War one and two-room schools for "colored" children were established around the county. It was here in Ruthville, however, that a commitment to learning first provided children with more than a basic education. Churches and benevolent societies around the country raised money to build this three-room manual training school in 1911. By 1923 a faculty of five teachers prepared girls to be homemakers and boys . . . — Map (db m26335) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 22 — Evelynton
Originally part of William Byrd's Westover, Evelynton has been occupied by the Ruffin family since 1847, when it was purchased by Edmund Ruffin, Jr. Fierce skirmishes took place on the property during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Confederate troops were led by generals J. E. B. Stuart and James Longstreet. The breastworks are still visible near the house. The dwelling and dependencies of the plantation were much damaged during the fighting. The Georgian-Revival house, built on the foundation of . . . — Map (db m9404) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Eye Witness to a Revolution
Charles City Courthouse was an eye witness to the American Revolution (1775-1783). Soldiers enlisted here before marching off to join the Continental Army. Local militia encamped on the grounds, and armies marched by throughout the course of the war. The area was even the site of a small battle between Queen’s Rangers and Virginia militia - an engagement that ended in defeat for the patriots. After the war old and disabled warriors and their widows came here to claim bounties and pensions for . . . — Map (db m17758) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 70 — First English Thanksgiving in Virginia
On 4 Dec. 1619, Capt. John Woodlief, a member of the Virginia Company, arrived aboard the ship Margaret with 35 men to take charge of Berkeley Hundred. An experienced former Jamestown settler, he became Berkeley's first governor. He bore instructions that the day of his ship’s arrival “be yearly and perpetually kept holy as a day of thanksgiving to almighty God.” Beginning in 1958, the Virginia First Thanksgiving Festival commemorated this directive as the first English . . . — Map (db m70545) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V-34 — Fort Pocahontas
South of here, on a bluff overlooking the James River, stands the half-mile-long Fort Pocahontas, built in the spring of 1869 by Union soldiers during the Civil War. The fort protected Union vessels on the river and guarded the landing at Wilson’s Wharf. Commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward A. Wild and manned by the 1st and 10th Regiments of U.S. Colored Troops and two guns of Battery M, 3d N.Y. Light Artillery, the 1,500-man garrison beat back assaults by 2,500 cavalrymen under Confederate Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m9520) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 9 — Grant's Crossing
In mid-June 1864, Grant abandoned his works at Cold Harbor and marched to Petersburg, a vital rail center. A mile south of here, at Wilcox Wharf (now Lawrence Lewis Jr. Park), steamboats ferried the troops and wagons of two corps across the James River on 14-15 June. Three miles downstream, at Weyanoke Point, Union engineers built a 700-yard-long pontoon bridge in seven hours on 14 June. For three days parts of two corps, as well as supply, ammunition, and ambulance wagons, crossed the bridge . . . — Map (db m9407) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 10 — Greenway
This was the home of John Tyler, Governor of Virginia, 1808-1811. His son, John Tyler, President of the United States, was born here, March 29, 1790. — Map (db m9558) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Herring Creek & KimagesCharles City County, Virginia
The Herring Creek area was settled in 1619, as a portion of Westover, and a portion of Berkeley Hundred. The point where the James River Road, present-day Route 5, crossed Herring Creek was known as "The Wade." Landmarks have included Harrison's Mill, the Johnathan Samaria Lodge, New Vine Church (est. 1870) and Westover Parish Church (est. 1614). The Harrison Mill Pond was acquired by the federal government in 1934 and established the Harrison Lake Fish Hatchery. Prominent area homes include . . . — Map (db m9288) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — HoldcroftCharles City County, Virginia
The Chickahominy Indians resided near here along the river that bears their name. This area was part of Wilmington Parish and was part of James City County before 1720. In the 1800s the community acquired the name of the Holdcroft family. Mt. Pleasant Church (est.1813) was established by members of Charles City Baptist Church (est. 1776). Rev. John M. Lamb was a prominent minister who served Mt. Pleasant from 1853 until ca. 1878. Other landmarks included Holdcroft High School , a post office . . . — Map (db m18657) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Kittiewan Plantation
Colonial home of Dr. William Rickman, Head Surgeon of the Continental Army of Virginia, and wife Elizabeth Harrison Rickman Edmondson, of Berkeley. Original section constructed ca. 1770-1790, shed roof addition added ca. 1840. Land referred to as Kenwon, mentioned in a 1618 grant to Gov. George Yeardley. Patented in 1632 by Lennon Pierce. Occupied by Union Army in June 1864. — Map (db m59621) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 27 — Lott Cary Birthplace
A mile and a half northwest, Lott Cary was born in slavery about 1780. In 1804 his owner, John Bowry, a Methodist minister, hired him out to a Richmond tobacco firm. Cary joined the First Baptist Church in 1807. He purchased his freedom and became a Baptist minister in 1813, then founded the African Missionary Society in 1815. Cary sailed for Africa in 1821 as the continent's first African-American missionary. He established Providence Baptist Church in Monrovia, Liberia, and several schools. . . . — Map (db m26338) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Mt. Zion & RusticCharles City County, Virginia
These communities were established on opposite banks of Morris Creek , earlier known as Tanks Pasbye hayes the Indian name, Moyses Creek after Theodore Moyses who patented land there, and as Moses Creek. Before 1720 this area was part of James City County and Wallingford Parish. During the 1700s several homes of the Dancy family stood nearby. Micah Church (est. 1850) and the post office at Apperson's Store (1850-71), later the store of Graham Walker, Sr., were also located in this area. Mt. . . . — Map (db m26333) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — New Hope & Court HouseCharles City County, Virginia
Since the establishment of the Court House during the mid-eighteenth century, this area has served as a community center for the entire county. During the Revolution and Civil War the area was the site of military encampments. A tavern built in the colonial era was destroyed by fire and replaced by a house and store, first owned by Nances and later the Majors. Landmarks in the Court House area have included a blacksmith shop, county jail, post office (est. 1803), Hubbard's Store, Greenway . . . — Map (db m9429) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Old Quaker Settlement - Adkins StoreCharles City County, Virginia
This community was the site of a Quaker settlement in the eighteenth century and the Weyanoke Quaker Meeting House and graveyard. The meetinghouse was the Upper Quarter gathering place for the Yearly Meeting of Virginia Quaker. The area has since become the center for the Chickahominy Tribal community. Landmarks have included Ladd's Store, Charles City Poor House, Hopewell Methodist Protestant Church (1835-72) and the home of Rev. John Bowry, the birth site of missionary Lott Cary. Area homes . . . — Map (db m26328) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 50 — Paspahegh Indians
Located nearby was the main town of the Paspahegh Indians, tributaries to paramount chief Powhatan. When Jamestown was built in their territory, the Paspahegh consistently resisted the English settlement. In Aug. 1610, George Percy, on orders from Gov. De La Warr (Delaware), destroyed the Paspahegh town and its crops, killing 16 people and capturing the wife and children of chief Wowinchapuncke. On their return to Delaware's ship, the English threw the children overboard and then shot them in . . . — Map (db m23610) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Piney GroveThe Front Line and the Home Front
In Virginia, the “Home Front” and the “Front Line” were often just miles apart during the Civil War. In places such as Charles City County families provided their men for troops and also lost the income from their plantations and other businesses due to nearby battles, blockades and encampments. During the Civil War, Edmund Archer Saunders, the owner of Piney Grove Store and Moss Side, was enlisted in the Charles City Cavalry, Company D Third Virginia Cavalry, . . . — Map (db m18589) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 38 — Piney Grove and Southalls
During the 18th century this property was established as a Southall family seat. Notable family members include James Barrett Southall, owner of Williamsburg's Raleigh Tavern, Turner Southall, member of the committee to build Thomas Jefferson's Virginia Capitol, and historian Douglas Southall Freeman. Furneau Southall constructed the original log part of the structure, later known as Piney Grove, about 1800 as a corncrib on his 300-acre plantation. "Southall's" was home to his family and 18 . . . — Map (db m18588) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 21 — President Tyler's Home
Just to the south is Sherwood Forest, where President John Tyler lived after his retirement from the presidency until his death in 1862. He bought the place in 1842 and came to it as his home in March, 1845. Here Tyler, with his young second wife, entertained much and raised another large family. The house, well-furnished, was damaged in the war period, 1862-65. — Map (db m9556) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Richmond Condita1737
From this spacious dwelling Colonel William Byrd, the Second, of Westover, set out in 1737 to lay the foundations and to project the future of the City of Richmond. Its grateful citizens, recalling the sufferings borne and the glory experienced, the duties met and the common purposes achieved, the physical conquests realized and the spiritual powers evoked, by this tablet record their debt to the large concept of the founder and their obligation for the unfailing courage, the ever-springing . . . — Map (db m30236) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — RoxburyCharles City County, Virginia
Roxbury was named for a nearby plantation in New Kent County and reached by Longbridge over the Chickahominy. This community was the site of a colonial era tavern and the only railroad station in Charles City County . Roxbury post office (1883-1953) succeeded earlier post offices at Waddill's Store (1853- 56), Edna Mills (1856-66) and Nance's Shop (1876-83). Homes in this vicinity have included Laurel Hill and Green Meadow, the residence of Quaker minister James Ladd. L.M. Nance, Commonwealth . . . — Map (db m29158) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — RuthvilleCharles City County, Virginia
This area was one of the centers of Charles City's free black community before the Civil War and was named for Ruth Brown with the establishment of the post office in 1880. Abraham Brown, a major landowner of the area, founded Elam Church in 1810, one of the oldest regularly organized black Baptist churches in Virginia. His son, Reverend Samuel Brown was a prominent local minister. Following the Civil War local residents established a cooperative store, the Mercantile Cooperative Company, and . . . — Map (db m26334) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 13 — Salem Church
This church, four miles north, was used as a field hospital, June, 1864, following the action an Nance's Shop, where the Union cavalryman Gregg, guarding a wagon train, was attacked by Wade Hampton. Gregg was driven from the field but saved the wagons. Wounded soldiers were brought to the church and some of the dead were buried there. — Map (db m9600) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 36 — Sherwood ForestPresident John Tyler's Home
John Tyler purchased this plantation one mile west in his native Charles City in 1842 while serving as tenth president of the United States, and made it his home from 1845 until his death in 1862. Tyler lengthened the wooden 18th-century house to over 300 feet long, thereby creating the longest frame house in America. Before becoming president, Tyler had served Virginia as congressman, governor, U. S. senator and vice-president. He served as president of the Washington Peace Conference in Feb. . . . — Map (db m9518) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Shifting Ground
During most of the Civil War (1861-1865), Charles City County lay between two armies: the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia safeguarding the Confederate capital of Richmond and the Union Army of the Potomac occupying the Lower Peninsula. As a result, Charles City Courthouse passed in and out of the hands of both armies more than once during the war. When Union forces evacuated Harrison’s landing in August 1862, more than 60,000 men marched past Charles City Courthouse on their way to . . . — Map (db m17756) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 6 — Shirley
The house a short distance south, Shirley was first occupied in 1613 and was known as West-and-Shirley Hundred. In 1664, Edward Hill patented the place, which was left by the third Edward Hill to his sister, Elizabeth Carter, in 1720. Here was born Anne Hill Carter, mother of Robert E. Lee, who often visited Shirley. The present house was built about 1740. — Map (db m9602) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Stuart's RideSafe among Friends and Family — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June 12, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led 1,200 cavalrymen on a daring 3-day reconnaissance and discovered that the Union right was unsecured. Stuart’s “Ride around McClellan” gave Lee the vital information he needed to launch the offensive known as the . . . — Map (db m61881) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Stuart's RideCoffee at Rowland’s — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June 12, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led 1,200 cavalrymen on a daring 3-day reconnaissance and discovered that the Union right was unsecured. Stuart’s “Ride around McClellan” gave Lee the vital information he needed to launch the offensive known as the . . . — Map (db m61882) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Sturgeon Point & KennonsCharles City County, Virginia
Kennons originally took its name from the plantation of the Kennon family. Kennons Creek, earlier known as David Jones Creek, served as a boundary for the earlier Wallingford Parish. Kennons Landing was the terminus for the Meadow Road, as well as rail lines, which carried cut timber to the river. Landmarks of Kennons have included Fort Pocahontas, a brickyard and the post offices of Kennons (est. 1850), Wilson's Landing (1865-79) and Sturgeon Point (est. 1879). The area also included two . . . — Map (db m9525) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Swineyards - Willcox WharfCharles City County, Virginia
This area was settled before 1622 by George Shinehow. Tobacco warehouses and docks were located at Swineyards and Willcox Wharf. A post office was established at Swineyards in 1848 and later located at Willcox Wharf. Landmarks have included Bethany Presbyterian Church (est. 1869), Little Elam Church (est. 1886), Bethany School (later known at Little Elam School), Little Elam Pilgrim School, the Taylor Male Female Seminary (est. 1847), Woodburn School (est. 1886) and a general merchandise store, . . . — Map (db m9405) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Three Courthouse Essentials
A clerk’s office, jail and tavern were located at every courthouse. The purpose of the clerk’s office and the jail are obvious, but can you guess why the tavern was just as essential? In the colonial era courts met infrequently, and lawyers and litigants often traveled song distances to attend. Without a tavern those attending court would have had no place to dine or lodge during the days of the court session. The original clerk’s office was replaced in 1901 with the building that now . . . — Map (db m17757) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 8 — Westover
In 1619 the first settlement was made at Westover, about 2 miles southeast. Two settlers died in the Powhatan uprising of 1622. Theodorick Bland bought Westover in 1666; William Byrd I acquired it in 1688. About 1730 his son, Colonel William Byrd II, built the present house, which exemplifies the high level of architectural quality attained during the colonial era. In Janaury 1781 the British army under General Charles Cornwallis crossed the James River at Westover in pursuit of the Marquis de Lafayette. — Map (db m9285) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — WestoverMcClellan’s New Base — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
Following the last of the Seven Days' Battles on July 1, 1862, at Malvern Hill, Gen. George B. McClellan's Union Army of the Potomac continued its retreat to the James River. McClellan had earlier decided to "change his base" from the Pamunkey River to the James and had chosen the Harrison's Landing (Berkeley Plantation) and Westover area as his new base. From then until final evacuation to Fort Monroe on August 16, the 90,000-man army largely remained within its defensive fortifications, . . . — Map (db m30227) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V 14 — Westover Church
A short distance south is Westover Church. It was first built on the James River near Westover House early in the Seventeeth century. About 1730 the site was changed and the present building erected. Defaced in the campaign of 1862, the church was reopened for worship in 1867. — Map (db m9401) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — 18 — Westover PlantationCaptain John Smith’s Adventures on the James — www.johnsmithtrail.org
Westover Plantation was established in 1619, part of the rapid agricultural expansion that followed several years of mere subsistence for the English at Jamestown. Often, the English co-opted fields already cleared by Natives for farming or as fishing camps. This brought strained relations to a boil in 1622, when Powhatan’s successor Opechancanough orchestrated an attack on outlying English settlements, including Westover, where two settlers were killed. The farm persisted, however. The . . . — Map (db m30228) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Wilcox’s LandingCrossing the James — Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
With the Federal armies stalled at Cold Harbor, Gen. U.S. Grant made the fateful decision to move on Petersburg. The march began under cover of darkness on the evening of June 12, 1864, and covered some 20 miles before reaching the James River crossings. From June 14 to 17 – here at Wilcox’s landing and three miles downstream at Weyanoke Point – the Army of the Potomac along with artillery and several thousand supply wagons moved south of the James. It was one of the few times a . . . — Map (db m17507) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Wryanoke & Parrish HillCharles City County, Virginia
The Weanoc Indians gave this area its name. The Minge family settled much of the Weyanoke peninsula during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Landmarks have included Weyanoke Parish Church, Tyler’s Mill, a steamboat landing, a post office at Yeardley’s and St. Thomas Chapel (1845-1922) of Westover Parish, later known as Mapsico Church, the second sanctuary being built in 1856. Prominent area homes include Kittiewan, North Bend, Upper Weyanoke and Weyanoke. The Parrish Hill community, also . . . — Map (db m59618) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Cherry Hall — Sandy Point & Cherry HallCharles City County, Virginia
Originally home to the Paspahegh Indians, Sandy Point was settled in 1617 as Smith's Hundred and after 1619 known as Southampton Hundred. St. Mary's Church was established here prior to the Powhatan Uprising of 1622. During the Revolutionary War local militia units were encamped on the James River. Prominent area homes have included Tettington and Tomahund, seats of the Lightfoot family, Byrdwood and The Rowe. Landmarks have included the Trees Point Pottery, Bethany Church (est. 1869), post . . . — Map (db m9467) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Granville — Wayside & GranvilleCharles City County, Virginia
Wayside was settled after 1613 as part of West and Sherley Hundred. Landmarks have included St. John's Church, established in 1897 by the Rev. John Jones, a post office at Shirley and the Shirley Mill. In 1921 the Wayside Community Club assisted in erecting a new building for the Wayside School (est. 1895). Two earlier schools in the area were closed following the Nat Turner Insurrection. Prominent area homes include Dogham, Eppes Island, High Hills, Shirley, Upper Shirley, Riverview and . . . — Map (db m9252) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Kimages — PA 250 — Benjamin Harrison
Benjamin Harrison (1726-1791) - Virginia planter, politician, and signer of the Declaration of Independence - was born at nearby Berkekey plantation. He first served in the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1752, though elected in 1749, and remained in office until 1775. In 1774, the Virginia Revolutionary Convention sent Harrison to the Continental Congress, where he served through 1777. He was Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates from 1778 to 1781 and governor of Virginia from 1781 to . . . — Map (db m9254) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Providence Forge — John Smith Captured by Virginia IndiansChickahominy Water Trail
John Smith explored the upper Chickahominy River in December 1607. He left his boat and seven of his crew at Apocant, the highest town on the river in the upper part of what is today the lake. Two crew members departed with Smith and two Chickahominy guides in a borrowed canoe. Twenty miles or so above Apocant, Smith was captured by a group of many bowmen from several tribes which he took to be a hunting party. Smith remained in the custody of paramount chief Powhatan for a month before . . . — Map (db m61883) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Roxbury — PH 6 — Action of Nance's Shop
In this vicinity the Union cavalryman, Gregg, guarding army trains moving to Petersburg, was attacked by Wade Hampton, June 24, 1864. Gregg was driven back toward Charles City Courthouse, but the wagon trains crossed the James safely. This action closed the cavalry campaign that began at Trevillians, June 11-12, 1864. — Map (db m17755) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Rustic — V-23 — Piney Grove and E. A. Saunders
Eight miles west on "The Old Main Road" is Piney Grove. The original portion, built ca. 1800 on Southall's Plantation, is a rare survival of Tidewater log architecture. Edmund Archer Saunders, a successful Richmond businessman, operated a store at Piney Grove between 1857 and 1874 when he sold it to Thomas Harwood. Saunders later returned to Charles City County and purchased Upper Shirley and Weyanoke plantations. Harwood enlarged the building for his home in 1910. — Map (db m9506) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Weyanoke — Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman
Two miles south is Kittiewan, mid-eighteenth century manor house. Here lived Doctor William Rickman. From 1776 to 1780 he was director and Chief Physician of the Continental Hospitals of Virginia. — Map (db m9434) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Weyanoke — V 24 — North Bend
Three miles south is North Bend, a Greek Revival residence built in 1819. Sarah Minge, sister of President William Henry Harrison, and her husband, John, built the original portion of the house located on Kittiewan Creek. Thomas H. Wilcox greatly enlarged the dwelling in 1853. General Sheridan established his Union headquarters here while his 30,000 men crossed the James River on a pontoon bridge at Weyanoke. — Map (db m9431) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Weyanoke — V 12 — Upper Weyanoke
In 1617, Opechancanough, Chief of Powhatan's younger brother, gave land to the south to future governor Capt. George Yeardley. Yeardley patented it and a portion became Upper Weyanoke, a James River plantation. Archaeological investigations there revealed an almost unbroken succession of settlements from the late 17th century to the late 19th century. On the grounds is a Greek Revival dwelling completed by 1859 for Robert Douthat. During the Civil War, about 14 June 1864 a pontoon bridge was . . . — Map (db m9432) HM
54 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 238 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.