|Virginia, Charlottesville — Albemarle Confederate Monument|
the Daughters of
and the City of
the heroism of
the volunteers of
memory eternal." — Map (db m25955) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-28 — Buck v. Bell|
|In 1924, Virginia, like a majority of states then, enacted eugenic sterilization laws. Virginia’s law allowed state institutions to operate on individuals to prevent the conception of what were believed to be “genetically inferior” children. Charlottesville native Carrie Buck (1906–1983), involuntarily committed to a state facility near Lynchburg, was chosen as the first person to be sterilized under the new law. The U.S. Supreme Court, in Buck v. Bell, on 2 May 1927, affirmed . . . — Map (db m10128) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — 'Burying' Ground|
The Foster family kept their ancestors close. Sheltered on a portion of their 2 1/8-acre plot purchased in 1833 by free black Catherine Foster, this burial ground still contains several dozen graves.
Rediscovered in 1993, the Foster cemetery most likely contains the remains of not only family members but also neighbors from the local community called Canada.
In deference to those buried here, the graves remain undisturbed, but no longer overlooked. Gentle mounds and depressions . . . — Map (db m81599) HM
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-28a — C. B. Holt Rock House|
|African American Charles B. Holt owned a carpentry
business in Charlottesville’s Vinegar Hill neighborhood. The son of former slaves, Holt built this
Arts and Crafts-style house in 1925-1926, during
the era of segregation when blacks were more
than a quarter of the city’s population but owned
less than one-tenth of its private land. He lived
here with his wife, Mary Spinner, until his death
In 1950. Later Holt’s stepson, Roy C. Preston,
and his wife, Asalie Minor Preston, moved . . . — Map (db m30541) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Charlottesville — Confederate Heroes Remembered|
|Lee and Jackson Parks contain two of Charlottesville's fine examples of public sculpture, gifts of benefactor Paul Goodloe McIntire (1860-1952). The Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson statue was dedicated in 1921,the Robert E. Lee statue in 1924. Depicting the Confederacy's two greatest heroes and executed by nationally prominent sculptors, the statues and parks exemplify both the contemporary desire to honor the South's heroes and the widespread civic improvements of the early 20th century . . . — Map (db m497) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-1d — Charlottesville|
|The site was patented by William Taylor in 1737. The town was established by law in 1762, and was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III. Burgoyne’s army, captured at Saratoga in 1777, was long quartered near here. The legislature was in session here, in June 1781, but retired westward to escape Tarleton’s raid on the town. Jefferson, who lived at Monticello, founded the University of Virginia in 1819. — Map (db m8643) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-1b — Charlottesville|
|The site was patented by William Taylor in 1737. The town was established by law in 1762, and was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III. Burgoyne’s army, captured at Saratoga in 1777, was long quartered near here. The legislature was in session here, in June 1781, but retired westward to escape Tarleton’s raid on the town. Jefferson, who lived at Monticello, founded the University of Virginia in 1819. — Map (db m19843) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-1a — Charlottesville|
|The site was patented by William Taylor in 1737. The town was established by law in 1762, and was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III. Burgoyne’s army, captured at Saratoga in 1777, was long quartered near here. The legislature was in session here, in June 1781, but retired westward to escape Tarleton’s raid on the town. Jefferson, who lived at Monticello, founded the University of Virginia in 1819. — Map (db m19844) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-23 — Charlottesville General Hospital|
|During the Civil War, the Rotunda at the University of Virginia, the Charlottesville town hall and the courthouse, as well as nearby homes and hotels were converted into a makeshift hospital complex called the Charlottesville General Hospital. It treated more than 22,000 wounded soldiers between 1861 and 1865. The first of the wounded arrived by train within hours of the First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) in July 1861. One of the facilities, known as the Mudwall or Delevan Hospital, received . . . — Map (db m8664) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-24 — Charlottesville Woolen Mills|
|As early as 1795, several types of mills operated here. In 1847, Farish, Jones, and Co., opened a cotton and woolen factory. John A. Marchant gained control of it by 1852 and renamed it the Charlottesville Manufacturing Company. His son, Henry Clay Marchant bought it in 1864. Although the Union army burned the factory in 1865, Marchant reopened it in 1867 as the Charlottesville Woolen Mills, which became Albemarle’s largest industry. A community grew up around the mill and Marchant built worker . . . — Map (db m86175) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Claude Moore, M.D. — 1892–1991|
|A native of Radford, Virginia, Dr. Moore was a 1916 graduate of the School of Medicine and a gifted player on the University’s football team. He served in the Army Medical Corps in France during World War I. Dr. Moore began his career in radiology at the Mayo Clinic and later worked at George Washington University and in private practice. — Map (db m8823) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land|
|This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Virginia by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive from May 16 to July 4,1950, it was displayed in every part of this state The dimensions and tone are identical with those of the original Liberty bell when it rang out our independence in 1776. In standing before this symbol, you have the opportunity to . . . — Map (db m73013) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-29 — Edgar Allan Poe|
|Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)—writer, poet, and
critic—was born in Boston, Mass. Orphaned at a
young age, Poe was raised by John and Frances Allan of Richmond. He attended schools in
England and Richmond before enrolling at the University of Virginia on 14 Feb. 1826 for one term, living in No.13 West Range. He took classes in the Ancient and Modern Languages. While at the university, Poe accumulated debts that John Allan refused to pay. Poe left the university and briefly returned . . . — Map (db m8765) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Fernando Símon Bolívar — 1810–1898|
|Fernando Bolívar, a native of Venezuela, attended the University of Virginia in 1827. He was the nephew and adopted son of Símon Bolívar, The Liberator, who sent him to study in the “Republic of Washington and Jefferson.” A friend of James Monroe and an admirer of Thomas Jefferson, Bolívar chose to continue his studies at the University. He returned to Venezuela where he became a distinguished man of letters and a brilliant diplomat. — Map (db m8820) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-16 — First Baptist Church, West Main Street|
|The Charlottesville African Church
congregation was organized in 1864. Four years later it bought the Delevan building, built in 1828 by Gen. John H. Cocke, and at one time used as a temperance hotel for University of Virginia students. It became part of the Charlottesville General Hospital and sheltered wounded soldiers during the Civil War. The church members laid the cornerstone for a new building in 1877 on the Delevan site, and the First Baptist Church, West Main Street, was completed in . . . — Map (db m8824) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-25 — Gen. Alexander Archer Vandegrift|
|Gen. Alexander Archer Vandegrift was born in Charlottesville on 13 Mar. 1887. He entered the U.S. Marine Corps in 1909 and served
on posts in the Caribbean, Central America,
China, and the United States. General
Vandegrift led American forces in their first successful major Pacific offensive in World War II at Guadalcanal and was awarded the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor.
He also served as the Commandant of the Marine Corps from l944 to 1947 and in 1945
became the first active-duty . . . — Map (db m18547) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-26 — Georgia O’Keeffe|
|Georgia O’Keeffe was born in Wisconsin in 1887. Her mother moved to Charlottesville in 1909 and rented the house here. Beginning
in 1912, O’Keeffe intermittently lived with
her mother and sisters. She took a summer
drawing class taught by Mon Bement at the University of Virginia. O’Keeffe taught art classes at the university each summer between 1913 and 1916. O’Keeffe used a number of mediums to showcase her artistic talents throughout her long career. In 1916. noted photographer, art . . . — Map (db m19092) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Historic Courthouse Square|
|This building, in continuous use as a
courthouse for over 200 years, is one of America’s most historic. No other courthouse has been used by three early
American Presidents at the same time, The original wood frame courthouse was erected on a two-acre lot in 1762 when
the city was founded by Dr. Thomas
Walker. Here local elections were held and the County Court conducted business with the help of young attorneys and magistrates such as Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe. These men along . . . — Map (db m19723) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — History Underfoot|
Traces of those who came before are all around us. This spot, for example, holds clues to the life of Catherine Foster, a free black seamstress and laundress, who purchased 2 1/8-acres here, in 1833, for herself and her family.
As this "reveal" shows, there are bricks and cobblestones still below ground, not just rubble, but stones laid with purpose. To what end? These bricks and stones are part of a path leading to the Foster home. Archaelogy on this site also uncovered . . . — Map (db m81593) HM
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-17 — Jack Jouett’s Ride|
|On 4 June 1781, John “Jack” Jouett Jr. arrived at the Albemarle County Courthouse to warn the Virginia legislature of approaching British troops. The state government under Governor Thomas Jefferson had retreated from Richmond to reconvene in Charlottesville because of the threat of British invasion during the Revolutionary War. Jouett had spotted Colonel Banastre Tarleton and his 180 dragoons and 70 cavalrymen 40 miles east at Cuckoo Tavern, and rode through the night to reach here . . . — Map (db m18549) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — G-23 — James Monroe’s First Farm — Site of the University of Virginia|
|In 1788 James Monroe purchased an 800-acre farm here to be close to his friend Thomas Jefferson and to establish a law office. In 1799 the Monroes moved to their new Highland plantation adjacent to Monticello and sold the first farm. In 1817 the Board of Visitors of Central College purchased 43¾ acres of Monroe’s old farm, for the Lawn and the Ranges of the “academical village” that Jefferson was planning to build with private contributions. On 6 Oct. President Monroe, with former . . . — Map (db m8762) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-30 — Jefferson School|
|The name Jefferson School has a long association
with African American education in Charlottesville.
It was first used in the 1860s in a Freedmen's
Bureau school and then for a public grade school
by 1894. Jefferson High School opened here in
1926 as the city’s first high school for blacks, an
early accredited black high school in Virginia.
The facility became Jefferson Elementary School
in 1951. In 1958, some current and former Jefferson
students requested transfers to two white . . . — Map (db m19834) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Meriwether Lewis and William Clark — 1774–1809, 1770–1838|
|Bold and farseeing pathfinders who carried the flag of the young republic to the western ocean and revealed an unknown empire to the uses of mankind.
A territory of 385000 square miles was added to the country by the efforts of these men, an area larger than the then existing size of the United States. — Map (db m8353) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — W-200 — Monticello|
|Three miles to the southeast, Thomas Jefferson began the house in 1770 and finished it in 1802. He brought his bride to it in 1772. Lafayette visited it in 1825. Jefferson spent his last years there and died there, July 4, 1826. His tomb is there. The place was raided by British cavalry, June 4, 1781. — Map (db m65069) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-31 — Monticello Wine Company|
|The Monticello Wine Company’s four-story brick building was located on the middle of Perry Drive on the north side. Founded in 1873 using grapes from local vineyards, it operated until about the time Prohibition began in Virginia in Nov. 1916. Spurred by production increases and highest-awards honors from exhibitions in the United States and abroad, the Charlottesville region proclaimed itself the “Capital of the Wine Belt in Virginia.” In 1904 its wine was used to christen the USS . . . — Map (db m17993) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Paul Goodloe McIntire — 1860–1952 — Jackson Park|
|Paul Goodloe McIntire (1860–1952) commissioned in 1921 the statue of General Thomas Jonathan (“Stonewall“) Jackson from Charles Keck. He gave the statue and this park to Charlottesville, the city of his birth, for the pleasure of all who pass by.
The regeneration of this park is dedicated in loving admiration to Mary Frazier Cash 1903–1971 by her friends and family. Her leadership in community affairs and good government, her infinite tolerance and her hopes . . . — Map (db m19753) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — President Monroe’s Local Homes|
|In 1789 James Monroe moved to Charlottesville and for one year his home was located in the first block west of this site. Then he lived for nine years in the home he built on what is now called “Monroe Hill” at the University of Virginia. His final Albemarle home, near “Monticello” was his “Highland” estate, now called “Ash Lawn.” — Map (db m19808) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Robert Edward Lee Sculpture — 1807 - 1870 — Charlottesville, Virginia|
Robert Edward Lee
1807 - 1870 — Map (db m85955) WM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Roosevelt “Rosey” Brown, Jr.|
|Roosevelt Brown, Jr. (1932-2004) was born In
Charlottesville and played football at Jefferson High
School, the City’s only African-American High
School. Following a stellar career he attended
Morgan State University where he was named to
the Black All-American Team In 1952. Upon graduation Rosey was drafted by the New York Giants
where he became a stand-out offensive lineman,
earning numerous Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors. His
career culminated with the sport’s ultimate . . . — Map (db m30546) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Sacajawea|
|This plaque is dedicated to Sacajawea, whose contribution of traditional and cultural knowledge, with courage and bravery, earned her recognition in the chronicles of American History.
Sacajawea was a Lemhi Shoshone (Agaidika) born in Salmon, Idaho in 1788. She was the only female to travel on the long, arduous journey with the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1805–1806).
Sacajawea served as an ambassador, bridging relations amongst nations. Her contribution to the people of today . . . — Map (db m21757) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Shadow Catcher|
At this place, on the site of Catherine Foster's home, this "shadow catcher" links the visible with the unseen even as it pulls the eyes upward to the sky. It creates a shadowy, gridlike outline of the house that once stood at this location.
The meandering paths lead away from the home site across the Fosters' yard to a family and community burial ground.
The Foster dwelling site yielded artifacts like those to the far left that suggest details of family life and . . . — Map (db m81598) HM
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Site of Old Swan Tavern|
|Site of old Swan Tavern where lived and died Jack Jouett, whose heroic ride saved Mr. Jefferson, the Governor, and the Virginia Assembly from capture by Tarleton June 1781. — Map (db m18552) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-20 — Stone Tavern and Central Hotel|
|George Nicholas, Albemarle County’s Virginia General Assembly delegate in 1783, built a stone house here in 1784. James Monroe occupied it 1789-1790, while improving the dwelling at his nearby farm, later the site of the University of Virginia. Here on 15 Dec. 1806, while the house was being operated as the Stone Tavern, the return of Meriwether Lewis from his expedition to the Pacific with William Clark was celebrated with a dinner. Thomas Jefferson hosted a reception in the tavern (renamed . . . — Map (db m19830) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — G-27 — Technical Sergeant Frank D. Peregory|
|Born at Esmont on 10 April 1915, Frank D. Peregory enlisted in May 1931 in Charlottesville’s Co. K (Monticello Guard), 116th Inf. Regt., 29th Inf. Div. On D-Day, 6 June 1944, T. Sgt. Peregory landed in the assault on Omaha Beach, Normandy, France. At Grandcamp, on 8 June, he single-handedly charged an enemy stronghold with grenades and bayonet, killing 8 soldiers and capturing 35. Six days later he was killed in action near Couvains. For his valor T. Sgt. Peregory was awarded the Medal of . . . — Map (db m18584) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q-27 — The Farm|
|The Farm stands on a 1020-acre tract acquired by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 and later owned by Col. Nicholas Lewis, uncle of Meriwether Lewis. A building on the property likely served as headquarters for British Col. Banastre Tarleton briefly in June 1781. In 1825, Charlottesville lawyer and later University of Virginia law professor. John A. G. Davis purchased a portion of the original tract and engaged Thomas Jefferson’s workmen to design and build this house. It is considered one of the . . . — Map (db m19582) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Q 21 — The Three Notch’d Road|
|Also called Three Chopt Road, this colonial route ran from Richmond to the Shenandoah Valley. It likely took its name from three notches cut into trees to blaze the trail. A major east-west route across central Virginia from the 1730s, it was superceded by Route 250 in the 1930s. Part of Jack Jouett's famous ride and the Marquis de Lafayette's efforts to prevent Gen. Charles Cornwallis from obtaining munitions occured along this road. Today West Main Street and part of University Avenue . . . — Map (db m5576) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — The University “Corner” — A Student Rendezvous Since the Mid-1800s|
|In the early 1900s “The Corner,” so named by the University crowd, was but a sparse collection of businesses at the entrance to the University Grounds—literally just a corner. In the intervening years “The Corner” has grown into a bustling commercial district.
Many of “The Corner’s” early structures still stand along University Ave.—between 14th and Chancellor Streets—including the C&O railroad bridge (1901), also known as the . . . — Map (db m86177) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Thomas Jefferson Monument|
| Proclaim Liberty throughtout the land unto the inhabitants thereof —Leviticus XXIV.
This monument to Thomas Jefferson was presented to the people to perpetuate the teachings and examples of the Founders of the Republic.
Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
Religious Freedom of 1776. —God, Jehovah, Brahma, Atman, Ra, Allah, Zeus. — Map (db m8805) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Thomas Jonathan Jackson Sculpture — 1824 - 1863 — Charlottesville, Virginia|
Chancellorsville • Manassas • The Valley Campaign
1919 — Map (db m85954) WM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Triumph of “The Charlottesville Twelve”|
| Lane High School. French Jackson, Donald Martin, John Martin.
Venable Elementary School. Charles E. Alexander, Raymond Dixon, Regina Dixon, Maurice Henry, Marvin Townsend, William Townsend, Sandra Wicks, Roland T. Woodfolk, Ronald E. Woodfolk.
On September 8, 1959, three African American children bravely entered Lane High School by order of U.S. District Court Judge John Paul. With the assistance of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the . . . — Map (db m64024) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Triumph of “The Charlottesville Twelve”|
| Venable Elementary School.
Charles E. Alexander, Raymond Dixon, Regina Dixon, Maurice Henry, Marvin Townsend, William Townsend, Sandra Wicks, Roland T. Woodfolk, Ronald E. Woodfolk.
Lane High School.
French Jackson, Donald Martin, John Martin.
On September 8, 1959, nine African American children bravely entered Venable Elementary School by order of U.S. District Court Judge John Paul. With the assistance of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the . . . — Map (db m65187) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — I-3 — University of Virginia|
|Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia. The cornerstone of its first building was laid on October 6, 1817, in the presence of three presidents of the United States—Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. In 1825, the university admitted its first scholars, who were educated in what Jefferson called “useful sciences.” Following Jefferson’s beliefs, the university was nonsectarian and allowed its students to choose their own courses of study. The honor system . . . — Map (db m61101) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Walter “Rock” Greene Albert “AP” Moore Gymnasium — Architects of Success|
|Washington, DC native, Walter “Rock” Greene, began his coaching
career in 1957 as an assistant football and basketball coach under
legendary Coach “Bob” Smith. Coach Greene became head coach to
the Burley Bears basketball team in 1960. That year the team
became Western District Runner-up, followed by the Western District
Championship in 1961. In 1963, Coach Greene received an invitation
from his alma mater, Phelps High School, in Washington, DC to
become head . . . — Map (db m65229) HM|
|Virginia, Charlottesville — Watering Fountains|
|During the late 1800’s, the City of Charlottesville installed four watering fountains in the downtown area. The fountains were designed to provide water to the citizens, their horses and other domesticated animals. Water was provided by the City water system and fed through four fish-like features to the upper bowl. The overflow then filled the lower trough for the smaller animals. A fountain similar to this once stood in front of the courthouse on Jefferson Street and was removed a the time . . . — Map (db m19739) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W 165 — Advance Mills|
|Villages such as Advance Mills were once common features of rural Virginia, serving as economic and social centers. Advance Mills grew around a single mill that John Fray constructed in 1833 on the north fork of the Rivanna River. By the twentieth century,
Advance Mills had expanded to include facilities to process corn, flour, wool, sumac, and lumber for local farmers. A general store also sold goods to nearby residents. Industrialization, electricity, and the increasing efficiency of . . . — Map (db m55785) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Albemarle Barracks Burial Site|
|"In 1779 4,000 prisoners, British and their German auxiliaries, captured at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, marched over 600 miles to quarters, called 'The Barracks', situated a half mile north of this site. Traditionally, some of these prisoners who died were buried near this memorial marker, which was placed here by the Albemarle County Historical Society in 1983 to mark the presence of the British and 'Hessian' prisoners during our American War of Independence." — Map (db m37586) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Z-15 — Albemarle County / Greene County|
|Albemarle County. Albemarle County was formed in 1744 from Goochland County and named for William Anne Keppel, the second Earl of Albemarle, titular governor of Virginia from 1747 to 1754. A portion of Louisa County was later added to Albemarle County. In 1761, part of Albemarle County was divided to form Buckingham and Amherst Counties. President Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826) was born in this county at Shadwell and here he built his home Monticello. The city of Charlottesville is the . . . — Map (db m21585) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Ash Lawn - Highland|
|Ash Lawn - Highland
Home of James Monroe from 1799-1823
Dedicated on July 20, 1985
Virginia Daughters of the American Revolution
Mrs. G.E. Honts, Jr. — Map (db m63671) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-199 — Clark’s Birthplace|
|A mile north was born George Rogers Clark, defender of Kentucky and conqueror of the Northwest, November 19, 1752. — Map (db m17271) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W 166 — Convention Army The Barracks|
|In Jan. 1779, during the American Revolution, 4,000 British troops and German mercenaries (commonly known as “Hessians”) captured following the Battle of Saratoga in New York arrived here after marching from Massachusetts. It was called the Convention Army after the instrument of its surrender. Most prisoners lived in primitive huts spread out over several hundred acres of the barracks camp, where they endured great hardships. Supplying and guarding the Convention Army taxed the . . . — Map (db m55784) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Discovering Mulberry Row|
|Mulberry Row’s buildings have all but disappeared—only the remains of four survive. Before re-creating lost buildings and roads, we look at information from many sources. How do we know about this important place and the history of its people, enslaved and free?
For historical accuracy and context, we use Jefferson’s terms—noted in quotes—for the buildings on Mulberry Row. The word “enslaved” indicates that men, women and children were held in . . . — Map (db m80863) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Ice House — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello|
|Master carpenter James Dinsmore oversaw construction of this Ice House to Jefferson's design in 1802. Enslaved and hired workers filled it each year between November and February with ice cut from the nearby Rivanna River, shallow ponds, or snow collected from mountaintop. The ice usually lasted through the summer and was mainly used to preserve meat and butter and to chill wine, while snow was used to make ice cream.
The circular Ice House, 16 feet across and 16 feet deep, was . . . — Map (db m68174) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Kappa Sigma Fraternity|
|Here on December the tenth MDCCCLXIX the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was founded by William Grisby McCormick • George Miles Arnold • John Covert Boyd • Edmund Law Rogers • Frank Courtney Nicodemus. Manet Mansuraque Est. — Map (db m8812) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — G-29 — Monacan Indian Village|
|Near here, on both sides of the Rivanna River, was located the Monacan Indian village of Monasukapanough. This village was one of five Monacan towns that Captain John Smith recorded by name on his 1612 Map of Virginia, though many more existed. Monasukapanough was a chief’s village and was occupied for several centuries until it was abandoned in the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century. Monacan descendants still reside throughout the central Virginia area. The tribe’s headquarters today is on Bear Mountain in Amherst County. — Map (db m45497) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Mulberry Row — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello|
| Every article is made on his farm; his negroes are cabinet makers, carpenters, masons, bricklayers, smith, etc. Duc de La Rochefoucauld Liancourt, 1796
You are standing on Mulberry Row, a road once lined with more than 20 dwellings, workshops, and sheds. It was the constantly-changing hub of the entire 5,000-acre plantation. Here, enslaved people, indentured servants, free blacks, and free white workmen lived and worked as weavers, spinners, blacksmiths, tinsmiths, nail-makers, . . . — Map (db m68171) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Nail-Making|
|Jefferson set up a nail-making operation in 1794 to provide income until he could “put my farms into a course of yeilding profit.” He calculated the nailers’ daily output, the waste of nailrod, and profits. In its first years, the “nailery” was a financial success and Jefferson expanded it. Using nailrod shipped from Philadelphia, the enslaved nailers produced thousands of pounds of nails sold in local stores and to neighbors. Profits dwindled over the years because of . . . — Map (db m80862) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Piney River Cabin|
|Virginia's virgin forest provided materials for the settlers' most basic shelter. Centuries ago, first growth trees were felled and the wood hewn to form this single-room log cabin in Piney River, Virginia, 45 minutes south of here. The structure is being reconstructed on this site and will be used to highlight 18th-century trades. — Map (db m53613) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-163 — Revolutionary Soldiers Graves|
|Jesse Pitman Lewis (d. March 8, 1849), of the Virginia Militia, and Taliaferro Lewis (d. July 12, 1810), of the Continental Line, two of several brothers who fought in the War for Independence, are buried in the Lewis family cemetery 100 yards south of this marker. — Map (db m3994) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Rio Hill — Artifacts Found at Rio Hill|
|Civil War relic collectors found Stuart’s winter camp and skirmish site (shaded area of map) long before the Rio Hill Shopping Center opened in 1989.
Metal detectors were used to search the area and artifacts—bullets, buttons, belt and harness buckles, shell fragments, camp equipment and personal items—were found.
Photo (A) shows a recovered Confederate officer’s two-piece “CS” belt buckle, while a Virginia state seal and Confederate block and script . . . — Map (db m7692) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Rio Hill 1864 Skirmish — George A. Custer Attacks a Confederate Winter Camp|
|In December 1863, Confederate troops established winter quarters here. The approximately 200 soldiers, under the command of Capt. Marcellus N. Moorman, were from Stuart’s Horse Artillery Battalion and were equipped with 16 cannons. The men built huts and their horses grazed on surrounding fields during the encampment.
While the artillery troops rested through the early months of 1864, Union Generals Ulric Dahlgren and Judson Kilpatrick raided Richmond in an unsuccessful attempt to free . . . — Map (db m7690) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — G-26 — Rio Mills|
|The 19th-century mill village of Rio Mills stood 600 yards west of here, where the former Harrisonburg-Charlottesville Turnpike crossed the South Fork of the Rivanna River. Following the Battle of Rio Hill on 29 February 1864, Union General George Armstrong Custer burned the covered bridge and gristmill at Rio Mills. Immediately rebuilt under the direction of Abraham L. Hildebrand, the gristmill continued to grind wheat and corn for the Confederacy. The milling operation apparently closed down soon after 1900. — Map (db m19836) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Site of Viewmont|
|Built before 1744 by
Col. Joshua Fry
Surveyor, Mathematician, Pioneer
Commander-in-Chief of Virginia Forces
French and Indian War
George Washington Inscribed over his Grave
“Here lies the good, the just
and the noble Fry. — Map (db m23244) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — W-197 — Skirmish at Rio Hill|
|On February 29, 1864, General George A. Custer and 1500 cavalrymen made a diversionary raid Into Albemarle County. Here, north of Charlottesville, he attacked the Confederate winter camp of four batteries of the Stuart Horse Artillery commanded by Captain Marcellus N. Moorman. Despite the destruction to the camp, 200 Confederates rallied in a counterattack which forced Custer’s withdrawal. Few casualties were reported. — Map (db m7685) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — GA-46 — Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District|
|Bounded by the James River to the south and the Rivanna River to the north, this nationally significant district encompasses 83,627 acres. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007, it includes buildings influenced by Jefferson’s Classical Revival ideals. The beauty of the Piedmont landscape is revealed in the panoramic vistas, farmlands, and vineyards. The district reflects the architectural and cultural influences of former residents Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe. The . . . — Map (db m23240) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Textiles — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello|
| Panel 1 Jefferson introduced mechanized cloth production to his plantation when trade embargoes and looming war cut off the supply of imported British cloth. In 1811, he hired William McLure, a free white artisan and "a very ingenious man," to build textile machinery and train enslaved people at Monticello in its use. McLure set up more efficient spinning jennies and looms with flying shuttles in what Jefferson called "my little factory." the Herns, Gillettes, and other enslaved . . . — Map (db m68175) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Levy Legacy — Thomas Jefferson's Monticello|
|After Jefferson's death in 1826, his heirs sold his property, including his slaves, to pay his debts. Naval officer Uriah Phillips Levy, who admired Jefferson for his support of religious liberty, purchased Monticello in 1834 to preserve it. This is the grave of his mother, Rachel Phillips Levy, who died here in 1839. uriah Levy bequeathed Monticello to the United States in 1862, but the government refused it. After litigation, his nephew Jefferson monroe Levy gained title to Monticello in . . . — Map (db m80808) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Meadow Run Grist Mill|
|Not far from the Tavern, the Michie family owned and operated a mill and general store. At the turn of the century the mill fell from decay. In order to recreate the Michie's Tavern-plantation (which stretched for several miles) Historic Michie Tavern relocated The Meadow Run Grist Mill from nearby Laurel Hill, Va. The 18th-century mill was painstakingly reconstructed to ensure the preservation of milling operations of that time. The General Store, housed on the first floor, offers visitors a mercantile atmosphere of the 1800s. — Map (db m53611) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — The Monticello Graveyard|
|This graveyard had its beginning in an agreement between two young men, Thomas Jefferson and Dabney Carr, who were school-mates and friends. They agreed that they would be buried under a great oak which stood here.
Carr, who married Jefferson's sister, died in 1773. His was the first grave on this site, which Jefferson laid out as a family burying ground. Jefferson was buried here in 1826.
The present monument is not the original, designed by Jefferson, but a larger one erected by the . . . — Map (db m80807) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — These Willow Oaks|
|These willow oaks were planted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip in ceremonies honoring the royal visit to the Western Virginia Bicentennial Center July 10, 1976. — Map (db m21950) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Thomas Jefferson|
| Here was born
April 13, 1743
Lover of Liberty — Map (db m68666) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Tobacco Barn ca.1790|
|This barn was once a place to hang and dry harvested tobacco plants. Tobacco was the primary cash crop in early Virginia. Many large landholders, including the Michies, grew tobacco as their principal money-making crop.
However, in time, these same planters cursed tobacco for depleting the soil. Furthermore, as the 19th century approached, tobacco became less profitable. Farmers switched to wheat, corn and other “small grains” which allowed the Old Dominion to be more self . . . — Map (db m53612) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Q-22 — Union Occupation of Charlottesville|
|On 3 Mar. 1865, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s Union Army of the Shenandoah entered Charlottesville to destroy railroad facilities as the 3rd Cavalry Division led by Bvt. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer arrived from Waynesboro. Mayor Christopher H. Fowler, other local officials, and University of Virginia professors Socrates Maupin and John B. Minor and rector Thomas L. Preston met Custer, just east of here. Fowler surrendered the town, and the professors asked that the university be protected, . . . — Map (db m3990) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Vanguard of Freedom — United States Army — Bicentennial 1775–1975|
|Citizens of central and western Virginia have contributed significantly to national defense and to the U.S. Army throughout its 200-year history.
During the Revolutionary War, Virginians fought valiantly as members of the militia and the Continental Army under Washington. Noteworthy is Captain Jack Jouett’s all-night ride to Charlottesville in 1781 to warn Jefferson of the impending arrival of British cavalry. John Peter Muhlenbert, a Lutheran clergyman in the Shenandoah Valley, became a . . . — Map (db m21890) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Viewmont|
Baptist Missionary to China
1873-1912 — Map (db m23041) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — William Holding Echols — 1859–1934|
|William Holding Echols (1859–1934), Professor of Mathematics, lived in this pavilion. By precept and example, he taught many generations of students with ruthless insistence that the supreme values are self respect, integrity of mind, contempt of fear and hatred of sham. The Eli Banana Order, by this tablet, honours Reddy Echols and his unique place in the history of the Order. — Map (db m62645) HM|
|Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Wood Trades|
|This chimney and foundation are all that remain of the “joiner’s shop”, of the first structures on Mulberry Row. From about 1775, free and enslaved workmen produced some of the finest woodwork in Virginia. Sawyers and carpenters felled oak, beech, cherry, poplar, walnut, chestnut, locust, and pine trees in the nearby forest and sawed them into timbers and planks at the “saw pit” to be put to use here. In the nearby “carpenter’s shop”, workmen dried and . . . — Map (db m80860) HM|
|Virginia (Charlottesville), University of Virginia — Henry Martin — 1826 - 1915|
Born in slavery at Monticello on July 4, 1826, the day of Thomas Jefferson's death, Henry Martin worked at the University in various capacities from about 1847 until his retirement in 1910. In late 1868 or early 1869, he was employed as head janitor and bell ringer and continued in that position for the remainder of his time at the University. The University bell hung on the south porch of the Rotunda, but it was destroyed in a fire in 1895. The Chapel bell, hung in the steeple adjacent to . . . — Map (db m75526) HM|