|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — "Huzzah for Liberty!" Kings Mountain National Military Park National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior|
|“Huzzah for Liberty!”-The hour is 3 oclock, October 7th, 1780. Atop the ridge are 1100 British-Americans under Major Patrick Ferguson.
Surrounding the mountain are about as many American Patriots gathered from far and near. Within the hour, a blow will be struck for liberty.
Kings Mountain Battlefield Trail-Walk this mile-long battlefield trail youll find exhibits along the way. — Map (db m62103) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — 19th Century Club World War Veterans Monument|
|In Memory of
World War Veterans — Map (db m44275) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — Blacksburg VFW Post 4941 Veterans Monument|
|In Honor of
All Veterans — Map (db m44274) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — 11-5 — Frederick Hambright|
Col. Frederick Hambright (1727-1817), a prominent militia officer of the American Revolution, lived his last 25 years in a house which stood 200 yds. NE. Hambright, born in Germany, emigrated to America as a boy, and settled in N.C. by 1750. He held several Tryon Co. offices from 1774 to 1776, most notably a brief term as a member of the N.C. Provincial Congress in 1775.
Hambright, after several campaigns, was promoted to lt. col. by 1779. He . . . — Map (db m28236) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — October 6, 1780|
|← October 6, 1780 British Route of March — Map (db m34732) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — Route of March|
|→ Each of the opposing forces used this old road to reach its battle positions October 6 and 7, 1780 — Map (db m34728) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — William Anderson Cenotaph to a Pioneer Settler|
|In Memory of
Who was born in
County Antrim, Ireland
Oct. 1, 1821
Emigrated to America, 1841
Died far from home, among
May 1, 1847
Interred in the
Newland Family Cemetery
Near Big Hill, Ky. — Map (db m44272) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — "...A Most Dreary Appearance"|
In 1849, journalist-historian Benson Lossing traveled to the Scruggs farm seeking information about the Cowpens battle. Using the house as a point of reference, he located fields "within a quarter mile of the Scruggs" where the battle raged more than half a century before.
Journalist Lossing noted that the battlefield presented "a most dreary appearance." Ax and plow had turned an open hardwood forest into stumps, pine thickets and cornfields. — Map (db m32276) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — A Race for the Grasshopper|
Near the end of the battle, as the Americans swept forward, two Continental officers sought to capture the enemy's light 3-pounder "grasshopper" cannons. Captain Anderson of Maryland won the race when he used his spontoon to vault forward onto one of the grasshoppers. Captain Kirkwood of Delaware captured the other. — Map (db m13029) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — After Victory|
After victory at Cowpens, American commander, General Daniel Morgan marches his army off this field to the north and crossed the Broad River. In North Carolina, Morgan dismissed the militia.
Many of the heroes of Cowpens helped build the nation. Some stayed in their native states; others crossed the mountains to open the West. At least ten served in Congress, representing five states.
The victory at Cowpens was a decisive battle leading to the British surrender at Yorktown. — Map (db m34739) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Battle of Cowpens Monument|
| South Inscription:
The Congress of the United States has caused this Monument to be erected on the site of the Battle of Cowpens as a testimonial to the valor and in appreciation of the services of the American Troops on this field in behalf of The Independence of their country.
Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton
Tarleton's Legion: 550 men
7th Regiment Maj. Newmarsh: 200 men
1st Battalion of the 71st
Regiment of . . . — Map (db m11186) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-6 — Carnegie Library|
This Classical Revival building, built in 1913-14 and designed by Arthur W. Hamby, was one of 14 public libraries built in S.C. between 1903 and 1916 with funding from Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Foundation. A 1938 addition compatible to the original design doubled its size. It served as the Cherokee County Public Library until 1972 and has housed county offices since that time. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. — Map (db m7307) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Cherokee County Confederate Monument Our Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865|
"Lest we Forget"
Though men deserve
they may not win success.
The brave will honor
the brave vanquished
none the less.
This tablet in memoriam
Erected by Moses Wood Chapter U.D.C.
1932 — Map (db m7347) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Cherokee County Veterans Monument|
|World War I
Chesney, Coke T.
Dickson, Leander T.
Godfrey Jay Bee
Grant, Albert P.
Hames, Broadus B.
Hamrick, John G.
Hicks, Richard J.
Johnson, Hiram J.
Johnson, James H.
Little, Stanley . . . — Map (db m11166) WM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Cherokee County WW I Rememberence|
|In Memory of the Boys
of Cherokee County who lost their lives
in the World War, 1917 - 1918
Arthur Burgess Grier Ellis Richard Callman Jay Bee Godfrey
Albert Grant Broadus Hames John G. Hamrick Richard Hicks Thomas Huitt Lorane Hutchinson Hiram J. Johnson Walker Kirby Stanley Little Carson D. McCraw Charlie R. McCraw Coleman McCraw Baxter C. McSwain Reid Morris Amos Mullinax James I. Neal Ellis A. Owens Lawson J. Owens Marcus L. Owensby . . . — Map (db m13433) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Col. James Williams|
|Col. James Williams
Hero of the battle of Kings Mountain 1780
Erected by Daniel Morgan Chapter D.A.R. 1917 — Map (db m7331) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Colonel Howard's Misunderstood Order|
After firing twice, the militia retreated behind the
Continentals who were awaiting the British reinforcements, Fraser's 71st Highlanders, threatened the Continentals' right flank, Lt. Col. Howard ordered his right flank to turn to face them. His center and left flank misunderstood and began an orderly retreat. Sensing victory, the British broke ranks and surged forward. Morgan ordered the Continentals to face about and fire at close range. Raw recruits of the British 7th Regiment panicked . . . — Map (db m13031) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Double Envelopment|
On this field, the Continentals blunted the British advance, then charged with bayonets flashing. Cavalry hit the left and right of the 71st. The militia reformed and surged against the right and left. British troops found themselves overwhelmed and surrounded. Morgan had executed a Double Envelopment. In less than an hour, the crucial Battle of Cowpens had been decided.
The classic use of the military tactic of "double envelopment" took place at the Battle of Cannae (in southern Italy) . . . — Map (db m13030) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — E.C. McArthur 1882~1947 Gaffney, South Carolina|
A pioneer in the Promotion of the
Conservation District movement,
locally, statewide, and national.
First chairman ~ Broad River
First president ~ S.C. Association
of Conservation Districts.
First president ~ National Association
of Conservation Districts. — Map (db m18240) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — First Baptist Church|
First Baptist Church
B.P. Robertson, Pastor
Corner stone from second auditorium building which was demolished September 1949 to make way for the present building completed 1951.
[Dedication Plaque] (Located near the Limestone Street entrance):
First Baptist Church
Gaffney, South Carolina
This building completed June 10, 1951
Frank E. Morris, Pastor
R.R. Markley - . . . — Map (db m7554) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Form the Line of Battle|
Today Tarleton's force would be called a combined arms task force. It contained all the elements to conduct a quick movement and "engage an enemy." Ranks of redcoated fusiliers, regulars, and raw recruits of the 7th Regiment formed in this immediate area. Westlands impeded the maneuvers of the 7th, and Tarleton initiated the battle before they were completely deployed. — Map (db m13423) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — From Cow Pasture to Battlefield|
The view seen beyond was a frontier pasturing ground, known locally as the Cow Pens. The name came from the custom of wintering cattle in the lush area around Thicketty Mountain.
General Daniel Morgan chose this ground for its tactical advantages: a river to discourage the ranks from breaking, rising ground on which to post his regulars, an open forest, and marsh on one side to thwart flanking mancuvers. — Map (db m11354) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-2 — Gaffney|
The Grindal Shoals and Cherokee Ford roads crossed here when this land was orininally granted to John
Sarratt in 1799 by the State of South Carolina. Michael Gaffney purchased the land in 1804 and by
1820 Gaffney's Tavern was located at the crossroads. In 1873 John R. Logan laid out the present street
plan, and Gaffney was incorporated as a town in 1875. — Map (db m7245) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Gaffney Michael Gaffney|
Born Sept. 29,1775 in Granard,
County Longford, Ireland.
Came to Charleston S.C.
Feb. 3, 1800.
Married Miss. Polly Smith
of Smith's Ford Union County
July 21, 1803.
He established the present
site of Gaffney in 1804.
Was Captain in the war of 1812.
Died Sept. 6, 1854.
Gaffney Family Cemetery.
Alderman from 1876 to 1906
W.F. McArthur, A.M. Gilmer, L.G. Byars, Wm. W. Gaffney, R.O. Sams, C.C. . . . — Map (db m7270) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Gaffney Cornerstone|
|A stone located on the
northeast corner of this
the point from which the
streets of the town of
Gaffney were laid out in
1873. — Map (db m23941) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11 - 11 — Goucher Baptist Church|
|(Front) This church, the oldest in the Broad River Association, was founded in 1770 and was first called Thicketty Branch Baptist Church. After meeting in a brush arbor and area houses, it built its first permanent church, a log building, about 1 mi. N. Another log church replaced it on that site shortly after the Revolution, and the congregation was renamed Goshen Baptist Church in 1794. (Reverse) The church, renamed Goucher Creek Baptist Church by 1800, acquired this site . . . — Map (db m59075) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-7 — Granard Graded and High School / Granard High School|
|Granard Graded and High School
This is the original location of Granard Graded and High School, also known as Granard Street School. It was built here between 1905 and 1914 and included the first black high school in Gaffney. The first high school graduating class numbered two students in 1923. J.E. Gaffney served as Granards principal for more than thirty years. A new Granard High, a brick building, was built on Rutledge Avenue in 1937.
Granard High School
The 1937 Granard High . . . — Map (db m23967) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — In Memoriam Adolphus Nott Wood, of South Carolina and Millie Catherine Draper, of Alabama (Dec. 17th, 1845 Oct. 8th,1932) (May 14th, 1856 Dec. 11th, 1894)|
|Married June 27th, 1874.
Came to Gaffney in August, 1876.
Merchant, Banker, President of Mills,
Business Leader, Builder of Homes and
Houses of Business, Philanthropist.
This building was erected by A.N. Wood
in 1881, being from the beginning Basement,
Street Floor, Mezzanine , and Wood's Hall.
In placing this tablet, we, their direct descendants,
wish to honor their memory and to
express perpetual gratitude to the people of
Cherokee County, both white and colored,
for . . . — Map (db m7330) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — January 17, 1781 A Decisive American Victory Fought in Less than One Hour|
The British soldiers arrived at the Cow Pens about dawn. The right flank of the British army formed in this general area with the rest of the troops stretching across the Green River Road. Ahead, in the distance, Morgan's army awaited. — Map (db m11356) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Landscape Restoration Project|
In 1787 this field was a grassy meadow dotted with tall hardwoods, native grasses and cane. Today, the land is being restored to its appearance at the time of the battle. — Map (db m32353) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Let 'em Get Within Killin' Distance|
|The American second line of defense stood in position here. About sunrise,the British appeared. The militia, though not trained to stand against massed British bayonets, fought well and shot with deadly effect. "At first it was pop, pop, pop [the sound of the rifles,] and then the whole volley. It seemed like one sheet of flame from right to left." Thomas Young Militiaman, Fair Forest Regiment 17 years old — Map (db m77693) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Limestone Φ Ω Σ Δ Ε 1845|
|The Seven Branches Of Learning
The higher division of the seven liberal arts in the Middle Ages, composed of geometry, astronomy, arithmetic, and music
The lower division of the seven liberal arts in medieval schools, consisting of grammer, logic, and rhetoric.
Φ Ω Σ Δ Ε
"To the Light" — Map (db m7253) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-3 — Limestone College|
Founded in 1845 as the Limestone Springs Female High School by Dr. Thomas Curtis and his son Dr. William Curtis, distinguished Baptist clergymen. The school thrived until falling on hard times during the Civil War and Reconstruction. In 1881 the institution was revived by New York benefactor Peter Cooper as Cooper-Limestone Institute. Renamed Limestone College in 1898. — Map (db m44487) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-1 — Limestone Springs|
Used as early as the American Revolution, this site became a “Summer Watering Place” in 1835. Low country aristocrats such as Governor David Johnson were attracted here by the climate and therapeutic waters. A post office was here from 1836 to 1879. Limestone College was established in 1845 as the Limestone Springs Female High School. — Map (db m9967) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Michael Gaffney|
|1775 - 1854
City of Gaffney
Memorial Wall Erected 1976
by City of Gaffney
Leonard Hope, Mayor
Ben L. Clary, City Administrator
Ray Clary, Frank Guyton, Fred Kirby
John Q. Little, Vernon Sanders,
J. Chad Sarratt
Cherokee Historic Preservation Society
Marker by Ruth and Hickson Jones — Map (db m23558) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Michael Gaffney Home * 1804 *|
Michael Gaffney was born in Granard Ireland and immigrated to the United States in 1797. After a short period in New York, he set sail for Charleston, South Carolina. He departed Charleston for the upstate and arrived at Smith's Ford on the Broad River on December 17, 1800. There he met and married Mary "Polly" Smith, daughter of John Smith on July 21, 1803.
Gaffney purchased 805 acres of land from John McKie on January 20, 1804 for $600.00. He then constructed this home, store and . . . — Map (db m7280) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Millwood Park|
In Memory of
Jack E. Millwood
For 22 Years Of
As Commissioner For
The Board Of Public Works
Millwood Park — Map (db m13709) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Morgan's Flying Army|
Morgan's army came from many states-the two Carolinas, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, and Virginia. They were joined by the militia, some of whom had helped destroy the British army of loyalist Americans under Ferguson at Kings Mountain. They camped nearby without tents and nervously awaited the dawn. — Map (db m13035) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Race to the Dan River|
|General Morgan's army secured a great victory on the field before you: "Our loss was inconsiderable, not having more than twelve killed and sixty wounded. The enemy's loss was 10 commissioned officers and over 100 rank and file killed and 200 wounded, 29 commissioned officers and about 500 privates, prisoners which fell into our hands, with two pieces of artillery, two standards, 800 muskets, one traveling forge, thirty-five baggage wagons, seventy Negroes and upwards of 100 dragoon horses, . . . — Map (db m13034) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Robert Scruggs House|
Robert Scruggs married Catherine Connell, and in 1828 his father, Richard Scruggs, gave them 200 acres of land. They had eleven children and added onto the house as the family grew.
Life at the time was hard; yeomen farmers raised corn, wheat, potatoes and livestock, while their wives tended to household tasks such as spinning wool into yarn, rendering animal fat into soap and maintaining a vegetable garden. — Map (db m11184) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Sharpshooters at the Skirmish Line|
|The sharpshooters at the skirmish line waited until Tarleton's army got within shooting distance. Their orders were to slow Tarleton's advance with well-aimed rifle fire and then fall back to the militia second line. As the British came within range the militia delivered a deadly fire, dropping two-thirds of the officers, then funneled back though the Continental line. — Map (db m13065) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Skirmishers Retreat, British Advance|
After firing as ordered, the American skirmishers melted back to the second line of defense.
Seeing this, the British troops moved forward at quickstep, raising a great shout as they advanced. — Map (db m13028) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Spirit up the People|
"Sir-you are appointed to the command of a corps of Light Infantry, a detachment of Militia, and Lt. Col. Washington's Regiment of Light Dragoons...The object of this detachment is to give protection to that part of the country and spirit up the people...I entrust you with this command, being persuaded you will do everything in your power to distress the enemy and afford protection to the country."
Order to Daniel Morgan from General Nathaniel Green, December 16, 1780
Morgan . . . — Map (db m13061) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-10 — Steen Family Cemetery|
The family cemetery of Lt. Col. James Steen (d. 1781), S.C. militia officer during the American Revolution, is on his plantation nearby, along Thicketty Creek. Steen, who commanded units in several campaigns from 1775 to 1781, was killed in 1781 while attempting to arrest a Loyalist in N.C. — Map (db m44670) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Sword Clash on Green River Road|
Nearby, retreating British officers of the 17th Light Dragoons, clashed with pursuing American horsemen led by Lt. Col. William Washington. He quickly outpaced his troops, broke his weapon at the hilt when he got into a sword fight with a British officer. According to legend, Washington's young servant rode up just in time, saving his life by shooting the attacking British officer.
It is this account that probably inspired the artist William Ranney in 1845 to paint this vigorous battle . . . — Map (db m13025) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Battle of Cowpens: Prelude to Victory|
On this field on January 17, 1781, Daniel Morgan led his army to a brilliant victory over Banastre Tarleton's force of British regulars. One of only a few sccessful double envelopments in history, this battle is recognized by historians as one of the most important of the American Revolution. — Map (db m32645) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The British Army|
British commander, Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton, ordered a detachment of cavalry forward to scatter the American skirmishers. The green-uniformed British Legion - Americans loyal to the king - awaited the order to advance. — Map (db m11357) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Cavalry (Dragoons) at Cowpens|
|The open forests proved well-suited for cavalry action. Fast-moving, hard-hitting mounted troops called Light Dragoons bolstered the 18th century infantry.
At least seventy South Carolina and Georgia mounted militiamen, armed with pistols and sabers issued for use in this campaign, augmented the veteran eighty plus-man American Dragoons of Lt. Col. William Washington. Posted in a swale nearby, they were hidden from the British. — Map (db m13063) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Continental Army at Cowpens|
|This line consisted of Continentals from Maryland and Delaware as well as militia from Virginia and North Carolina. Seasoned veterans under Lt. Col. John Eager Howard of Maryland, they had served at least one year and were Morgan's most reliable troops. Many served for the duration of the war. They were trained, paid, and uniformed by the Continental Congress.
The footprints on the ground approximate the position of one man in the Continental Army. The height of the common soldier was 5'-5" — Map (db m13064) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail|
|The Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail preserves and commemorates the route of Patriot militia during the 1780 Kings Mountain campaign.
During that historic event, on October 6, 1780, American forces stopped here at the Cow Pens to rest and eat before continuing on that night in pursuit of the British force. Part of a larger National Trails System, the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail stretches approximately 330 miles from Abingdon, Virginia, through East Tennessee, over . . . — Map (db m13384) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — The Reverend Thomas Curtis, D.D.|
to the Memory
Thomas Curtis, D.D.
by his affectionate
He was born
May 10, 1797 in the town
of Wisbfach England.
And was lost in the wreck of the
steamer North Carolina,
bound from Baltimore to Norfolk,
Jan'y 29th 1859.
ever faithful and affectionate,
one of the founders of the adjacent school
for the daughters of . . . — Map (db m7281) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Towne Center|
This side indicates the center point for the second survey by the Town of Gaffney to expand its city limits to include all property within a one-mile radius of this location. The survey was conducted by R.O. Sams, February 27, 1890 (map date).
This expansion included the already-established downtown area, the west end which was in the initial phase of being populated, and Limestone College and the surrounding area.
In Memory of
My Great Grandparents
James . . . — Map (db m44392) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — U.S. Memorial Monument|
|This monument was dedicated in 1932 in recognition of all the men who fought at the Battle of Cowpens. — Map (db m42716) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Washington Light Infantry Monument|
|This Monument was erected by
The Washington Light Infantry
Of Charleston S.C.
L.M. Hatch. Capt
Cowpens Chapter D.A.R.
1936 — Map (db m13385) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Washington Light Infantry Monument|
The Washington Light Infantry of Charleston, South Carolina, erected this monument in 1856 near the final stages of the Battle of Cowpens to commemorate the important American victory here. Though the years have changed much of the monument's original appearance, it stands today as the earliest testament to the valor of the Patriot Army at the Cowpens. — Map (db m32557) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Welcome to Cowpens National Battlefield A Revolutionary War Site|
| This park commemorates a decisive battle that helped turn the tide of war in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution. — Map (db m42656) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-5 — Whig Hill|
This plantation, 1.5 mi. S. near Thicketty Creek, was settled about 1767 by John Nuckolls, Sr. (1732-1780), a native of Virginia. During the American Revolution, as the war in the backcountry became a vicious civil war, the plantation became known as "Whig Hill" for Nuckolls's support of the patriot cause. He was murdered by Tories in December 1780 and is buried on his plantation. — Map (db m39046) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Pacolet — Littlejohn Family Reunion|
Littlejohn Family Reunion
Placed here by their descendants,
this plaque honors those 18th
century pioneer immigrants who
were among the first to settle
in this section of South Carolina,
namely, Thicketty Creek, in 1774. — Map (db m23974) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Pacolet — 11-9 — Mulberry Chapel Methodist Church|
This African American church, the first in what is now Cherokee County, was most likely built between 1880 and 1890. It served the Whig Hill, Asbury, and Thickety communities of what was Union County before Cherokee County was created in 1897. Jack Littlejohn donated land for the chapel and cemetery.
Regular services ended in the 1940s, but in 1953 Carl E. Littlejohn and others founded the Littlejohn Family Reunion, which holds annual services here . . . — Map (db m19724) HM|
|South Carolina (Cherokee County), Pacolet — 11-8 — Nuckolls-Jefferies House|
This house was built in 1843 for William Thompson Nuckolls (1801-1855) and later owned for many years by John D. Jefferies (1838-1910). Built in the Greek Revival style of the antebellum period and altered in the Neo-Classical style of the post-Civil War era, it is a fine example of a mid-19th century plantation house with significant late-19th century alterations.
William T. Nuckolls, a lawyer and politician, had represented what was then . . . — Map (db m17737) HM|